Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

The North Tower posted:

Y’all still reading books? I’m starting A Little Life soon, as The South Tower picked it up recently, and I try to read any books she gets that interest me.

Serious question: are Dante and Milton fantasy authors?

Yeah you fuckin moron, the priest who wrote about Hell was an atheist

Give your head a shake

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artism
Nov 22, 2011

The North Tower posted:

Is any fantasy good? Besides the Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost.

Twice you made this horseshit joke. Do me a favor and keep to yourself ‘in the Italian fashion’

artism fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 9, 2020

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Sorry to epic atheist guy. I’m glad this conversation proceeded and I feel more enlightened as a result of these posts

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Jupiter Jazz posted:

At the risk of sounding utterly pedantic:

Reading War and Peace has satiated a deep hunger in me that has panged me for so long. Growing up I loved RPGs and deep stories with an entire roster of fascinating characters to note and keep track of. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden, Tactics Ogre, Fallout, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate would fill my proverbial stomach with the most delightful of tastes: philosophy, war, loyalty, legacy, morality.

A big reason I've fallen away from video games is that I feel the higher the budget the less we likely we get these kinds of experiences. Today's games - and especially RPGs - are for wish fulfillment, not stating something important. The past decade I've solely read non-fiction works, far more interested in the mechanisms of this world than the ones of fantasy, yet all this time I've craved deep stories like those of my youth where I had to get out a notebook to make sense of the characters and world. As I read War and Peace, for the first time in the longest of time I feel full. Going through a story that makes me question my very being and every chapter makes me lick my fingers, as if finishing off a delightful meal.

War and Peace has single-handedly reignited a love for literature and reading fiction again. I'm thinking of reading Crime and Punishment after. Reading Tolstoy has helped me accept how much I've grown out of video games yet still cherish the experiences I had when I was younger. I'll devote more time to literature instead of continuing to chase something that's not there anymore.

lmfao. I seriously hope you’re twenty

artism
Nov 22, 2011

this thread sucks so much rear end and most of you are insufferable.

thank you a human heart and ulvir for some excellent recommendations over the years. especially Hamsun and Bernhard. And ferdydurke. it’s possible that neither of you recommended those. your attempts at keeping this thread interesting are admirable nonetheless.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Jupiter Jazz posted:

At the risk of sounding utterly pedantic:

Reading War and Peace has satiated a deep hunger in me that has panged me for so long. Growing up I loved RPGs and deep stories with an entire roster of fascinating characters to note and keep track of. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden, Tactics Ogre, Fallout, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate would fill my proverbial stomach with the most delightful of tastes: philosophy, war, loyalty, legacy, morality.

A big reason I've fallen away from video games is that I feel the higher the budget the less we likely we get these kinds of experiences. Today's games - and especially RPGs - are for wish fulfillment, not stating something important. The past decade I've solely read non-fiction works, far more interested in the mechanisms of this world than the ones of fantasy, yet all this time I've craved deep stories like those of my youth where I had to get out a notebook to make sense of the characters and world. As I read War and Peace, for the first time in the longest of time I feel full. Going through a story that makes me question my very being and every chapter makes me lick my fingers, as if finishing off a delightful meal.

War and Peace has single-handedly reignited a love for literature and reading fiction again. I'm thinking of reading Crime and Punishment after. Reading Tolstoy has helped me accept how much I've grown out of video games yet still cherish the experiences I had when I was younger. I'll devote more time to literature instead of continuing to chase something that's not there anymore.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

*reads one book in the course of my entire adult life* Licking my fingers as if finishing off a delightful meal.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Ras Het posted:

lol @ hearing about thomas bernhard and knut hamsun from a forums thread. are you 20

in 2012 I was. you’re also one of the good posters, and I know you felt slighted by the omission. you goofy little European

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

lmfao at gatekeeping the single ongoing discussion of good books in TBB. I seriously hope you're 28

turn your monitor on

artism
Nov 22, 2011

CestMoi posted:

i didn't spend years accumulating the second most posts in this thread for this

think I thought that you were a human heart? you're one of the premier tastemakers itt

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

CestMoi recommended me Book of the City of the Ladies which was my best rec from here, and human heart recommended some Jelinek and Le Clezio which were also good. I can't remember if I go any recs direct from ulvir but they'r ecool too

artism what else should I read?

*nervously tugging at collar* p...past master

artism
Nov 22, 2011

every goon should start with a confederacy of dunces for obvious reasons

then they should proceed to down and out in Paris and London then death on the installment plan

artism fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 21, 2021

artism
Nov 22, 2011

really liked ‘in a bamboo grove’, ‘death register’ and ‘the life of a stupid man’. does anyone have any recommendations for a well-translated akutagawa collection?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

I like the same thing that I like about Mishima:

He barely made it through each day in the gloom, leaning as it were upon a chipped and narrow sword.

and then sentences that made me laugh a lot:

‘You fellows still have a strong will to live, I suppose?’

‘If I needed a corpse, I’d kill someone without the slightest malice.’ Of course the reply stayed where it was - inside his heart.

There was nothing out there but a brick wall topped with embedded broken bottles. It did, though, have thin growths of moss in dull white patches.

artism fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 28, 2021

artism
Nov 22, 2011

sounds like I’m going to have to piece together what I can. I’ll check out Mori, as well

artism
Nov 22, 2011

OP’s review of blood meridian sort of reads like a Jack Keefe letter

now that you’ve finished you should reread the pages prior to the boy’s joining of the glanton gang.

‘Only now is the child finally divested of all that he has been. His origins are become remote as is his destiny and not again in all the world's turning will there be terrains so wild and barbarous to try whether the stuff of creation may be shaped to man's will or whether his own heart is not another kind of clay.’

does this mean anything to you?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

been awhile since I watched it but I think it’s wrong to stray that far into a meta discussion about the creation and concept of the novel. especially since the theme of, say, free will, prevails through a lot of western literature

it’s cool but will only serve to confuse our bewildered op

for supplementary reading, the angry parts of the Old Testament would be good. Jeremiah and Job in particular

artism fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 29, 2021

artism
Nov 22, 2011

OP, sorry.

To add to what mde said, can we escape the natural order? Can we make decisions for ourselves or do we submit to a design? If so, whose? Or if you like, what?

A deterministic worldview is presented and challenged throughout the book. Whether the judge is a force or something else is also fun to think about.

I don’t remember where but at some point the kid says he can think of ‘better ways’ and yet he’s one of the architects of this new, or very old, order.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

God help me, the end of the ‘biographical reminiscences’ of At Swim, when the uncle gives him a watch, hits me in the most sentimental way. Almost exactly like The Dead.

But the best part of the book, ‘Arise, Sir, till I inflict twin nipple-hurts with the bevel of my nails’

artism
Nov 22, 2011

What’s the consensus best translation of Oblomov?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Ras Het posted:

idk but Oblomov is clearly the most overrated Russian classic and I was very happy to see in Chekhov's letters that he didn't like it either

it’s one of the last big ones but on my list maybe I’ll just read gogol’s short stories, instead

having just reread as2b I just wanted to read more about bed-obsessives

artism fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 20, 2021

artism
Nov 22, 2011

reading a biography about Samuel Beckett by Anthony Cronin while re-reading Molloy. I’d like to have met Sam the golfer, who loved Ode to the Nightingale.

started and stopped Tristram Shandy after a five page hobby-horse pun. merits closer reading

maybe I’ll start Fourth Mansions since I loved Pasr Master so much

artism fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 5, 2021

artism
Nov 22, 2011

on the subject of Molloy, there’s a great fuss over small windows and sometimes I wonder if I have even that. on the other hand, fart arithmetic was well understood and an admirable use of the sciences.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

reading Beckett's stories & texts for nothing over here

he wasn't kidding with the title

there are so many ideas expressed and dismissed within the same breath that if you read it before bed you’re sure to go sleepless for want of understanding. but in the end I somehow feel better about my ignorance. for now, at 30

I also feel slightly better that I’ve chosen to act, however trivially, to the extent that I am able, rather than to think, inasmuch as I am able, lacking the capacity

e: is there a particularly good, or recognized, biblical concordance for the KJV? guessing it's 'Strong's Exhaustive Concordance'

artism fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 6, 2021

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Segue posted:

Finished At Swim Two Birds on this thread's recommendation and while I was pretty lukewarm at first once it starts devolving into chaos it's delightful. It's weird O'Brien isn't very well known in North America; my only friend who'd heard of him did her undergrad at Oxford. Can't wait for Third Policeman.

love the narrator so much. he’s such a smug little twerp. and of course the three wise men constantly interjecting as Finn drones on. and of course the inestimable Jem Casey

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I recommend Norm MacDonald's Based on a True Story: Not A Memoir, narrated by the author.

seconding

artism fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 10, 2021

artism
Nov 22, 2011

he’s nowhere near as lazy as Ignatius, though just as disdainful of those he relies upon. at least he produces something. I guess Ignatius studied Boethius.

just reread the final paragraph and agree. except that I do know the thoughts that flit across a fool’s head, and have a healthy cynicism for the sciences

artism fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artism
Nov 22, 2011

lost in postation posted:

devoid of preciosities

learned a new word for pompous, nice

it seems like all the best, and by that I mean favorite, French writers express themselves more or less plainly