Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Almost done with War and Peace. I should probably follow it up with Stendhal's Charterhouse of Parma for the other side. In French, because Jesus my French has gone to poo poo and having to glance more and more at the footnote translations of the French in War and Peace is just driving that home.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

one of these days im gonna read something that isn't by nabokov, i can feel it

that or i'll just run out i guess

You read Invitation to a Beheading yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Tim Burns Effect posted:

[eric andre voice] im on it right now

loving nice, post your thoughts when you're done. It's one of my favorite Nabokov novels.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

:same:

I know this isn’t the rec thread, but what are some good autumnal literary novels or poetry?

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann feels very autumnal to me.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

im reading nuruddin farah ama

1. which book?
2. what do you think?

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

J_RBG posted:

Rabelais is honestly essential reading, the ma screech translation is good

Seconded. My favorite part is the story about Paris getting piss-flooded. Or the insane back-and-forth between the lawyers in Pantagruel, I dunno.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

I gotta get into Persian lit. What's the best translation of Ferdowsi's Shahnameh?

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Ras Het posted:

If the first policeman can read and the second one write what does the third one do

keep an eye on the intellectuals?

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

This makes me wonder:

Pynchon, Nabakov, O'Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces, Heller's Catch-22 and Sterne's novel Tristam Shandy get brought up a lot when we're talking about literary humor. George Saunders comes to mind as a current literary author who uses a lot of humor for his stories.

Lit thread, which literary authors do you find the funniest?

Gogol and Rabelais.

I Burn Paris by Bruno Jasienski is also loving hilarious in the gallows kinda way.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

finished 2019 with i'jaam by sinan antoon and realized how little i know about arabic lit, so now i'm reading cities of salt. it's good so far.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

I try to read at least the first couple paragraphs of every foreword before the book, mostly for rough biographical/historical context, but sometimes also to make sure it isn't a fake foreword like in Lolita. Which isn't usually an issue for books from before 1945.

Then I tell myself I'll read the full foreword after finishing the book. That doesn't usually happen.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

derp posted:

Just finished Notes from Underground. I really love these books about complete loving losers who think they are above everyone. Any other's to recommend? (Have read Pale Fire, Lolita and The Loser which also have similar vibes of what I'm looking for)

Envy by Yuri Olesha and Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo. Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov has powerful total loser vibes, although I wouldn't say the protagonist thinks that highly of himself.

quote:

Also all these Russian books constantly reference Pushkin. What Pushkin should I read?

Eugene Onegin, followed by a collection of short stories (especially Tales of Belkin and Queen of Spades).

Speaking of which, I'm starting my reread of EO today.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

there's also the lesser-known and more aggressively communist plague book i burn paris by bruno jasienski

that's a good read

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Burning Rain posted:

I prefer this one:

lol step aside

disclaimer: i do not deny that this is a perfectly acceptable depiction of a modern-day pechorin

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

just finished the fur hat by vladimir voinovich. a+, loving hilarious, and strongly recommended to anyone craving (late) soviet-era russian lit in the spirit of gogol. or funny russian lit in general.

next up: the twelve chairs by ilf and petrov

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

thehoodie posted:

Just finished William Gaddis A Frolic of His Own, which is a savage mockery of the law and the legal profession. It is dope.

Now reading Invitation to a Beheading. Pretty surreal - unlike anything else I've read by Nabokov.

invitation to a beheading is awesome. enjoy the ride and all the gnostical turpitude it has to offer

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

reading the twelve chairs and loving every word that comes out of ostap bender's mouth. the book has the same era and vibe of yuri olesha's envy, but with greater scope, length, and sheer audacity. love it.

ulvir posted:

i have now started vol. 3 of in search...

I love the long musing of the social play that took part in the theatre at the start there, where going to the theatre wasn’t just simply to watch a play for certain people. kind of reminded me of war and peace.

i feel like that musing on theater social play is in at least 2/3 of 19th century russian literature

also, you've reminded me that i still need to read in search of lost time, and the only thing holding me back is excuses (and maybe my french not being good enough)

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Heath posted:

Why the gently caress do people read this guy again? People recommend him to me constantly

tbh i read kafka on the shore and that was enough for me

people say i should read norwegian wood and i just can't work up the motivation for another murakami when i have 10000 other authors i could be reading

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

ulvir posted:

svetlana alekseievich (sp.) is good too.

alexievich is great. more people should read war's unwomanly face and secondhand time.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

I've been feeling like reading something horrifyingly bleak and pointless.

wouldn't call it pointless, but sofia petrovna by lydia chukovskaya is an excellently bleak book to read and then lie down, stare at the ceiling, and feel like pure poo poo for a while.

it's also <150 pages

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

cebrail posted:

What's some good Russian literature from the 20th century? I haven't read anything newer than Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

not sure if it's up your alley, but i'm reading dream in polar fog by yuri rytkheu, a chukchi author who wrote in both chukchi and russian. so far it rules. makes me feel cold, though

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Idaholy Roller posted:

Just to change the subject a bit but I need some books by LGBT people for the forum book challenge if anyone can help us out.

seconding anne garréta and nthing james baldwin. check out tove jansson (the summer book, fair play, the true deceiver), especially if you already like the moomins.

there's also the gallery by john horne burns, which is somewhere between a novel and a collection of short stories about american troops, mostly gay, in occupied naples. includes a very memorable story about a gay bar with (among others) two british sergeants in drag musing about camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

thehoodie posted:

Stone Butch Blues

also this.

it's free to read via leslie feinberg's website, too