Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There is no kind of r-sound in Goethe, it's just what happens when Americans try to emulate the German ö/oe, because the closest thing in the English language is the vowel in words like herd or curd and that only appears before r. Not in German though. It's [ɡřtə].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

OscarDiggs posted:

I mean, yes? Kinda? Not just books, but everything. Film, TV, Music, Games. Everything. ALL media. After all of these accusations of harassment that have come out, do you think I'm going to consume/support anything by Harvey Weinstein ever again? Kevin Spacey? I get it, De Sade and Chaucer are dead, so it's not like my money is going to be used to the detriment of the victims here, or to making more victims (I don't actually know why Chaucer needs to go in the garbage so I'm just extrapolating here. You were the one who bought him up, after all.) but is that the only reason that it's... okay to consume the media they've produced? In a hundred years can people start enjoying Kevin Spacey again? Is it a fools errand to be so strict in media consumption, since we're all human and most humans are garbage fires?

How far back do you go with that? Is it okay to read Caesar? He genocided a bunch of people, I think he was a pretty bad human being.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

at the date posted:

(I am prepared to rant about it in more detail if anyone's curious.)

Please do, the only Murakamis I've read are South of the Border, West of the Sun and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage and they were okay, but also pretty much identical.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I don't really understand why you would do this.

Organizing them based on the book's release date I kind of understand, but your way seems pointless.

This way you keep books of the same author together.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

feelix posted:

If you don't think video games are unequivocally art, you really are a clueless out-of-touch snob that's incapable of critical thinking.

Yeah but on the plus side I'm not an adult who plays league of legends

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Ras Het posted:

It's Chekhov. "Kh" is the Russian H: Che Hof, not Check Off

Those are equally wrong, it's a [x]

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

"Ce qu’il y a de certain c’est que moi, je ne suis pas Marxiste." - Karl Marx

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

When I wanted to find out why people were talking about Murakami all the time I read Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage and found it mediocre, I thought I'd try another one and I read South of the Border, West of the Sun and it turned out to be pretty much the same loving book.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Burning Rain posted:

Like, I know a fantasy fan who dislikes books under 400 pages, because he thinks it's lazy not to come up with more stuff to keep up that price/hours of entertainment ratio.

The concept of public library must be foreign to these people. Millions and millions of pages for close to no money.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Knausgaard worth the investment or just another Mein Kampf to be avoided?

I don't know if they're "worth the investment" but they are good.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Vogler posted:

I was surprised that Handke won, but then I realized that his alleged support of Slobodan Milošević was a debate that only raged in Norway.

No, it was a debate in (at least) Germany and Austria too. And his support for Milosevic wasn't "alleged", he talked about it in a million interviews. He even went to his funeral.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

What's the case for Walden being a good book? I just read it for the first time and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Just hit the stop button in your browser before that login window appears. Or don't.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

What's some good Russian literature from the 20th century? I haven't read anything newer than Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Burning Rain posted:

What kind of stuff are you into? And does it have to be Russian or can it be Russian-language literature from other Soviet states (e.g., Chingiz Aytmatov)?

I like social novels like most of Tolstoy, Bronte or Mann, but also post modern lit and almost everything else from the mid 20th century. And I honestly know nothing about the relation ship between literature from Russia and Russian-language literature from anywhere else, so yes, absolutely! I wasn't even thinking about that distinction.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Karenina posted:

not sure if it's up your alley, but i'm reading dream in polar fog by yuri rytkheu, a chukchi author who wrote in both chukchi and russian. so far it rules. makes me feel cold, though

That's not at all what I was looking for but it sounds fascinating, I'll definitely check it out

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Ceramic Shot posted:

On the other hand, it is extremely French to convert to a religion because you love the craftsmanship, aesthetics, and rhythm of life surrounding it, I guess. That passage read like straight satire to me at first, but I feel like there must have been more than a kernel of sincerity there too.

They don't surround the religion, they are it. The idea that there's a theological core in the form of faith, or the Word of God or whatever you want to call it, and everything else is helpful and/or distracting accessories is a very protestant one.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

I'm still reeling at the phrase "the complexity of linguistic tactics" used to describe prose style. What does it mean? What could it possibly mean?

If your sentences are more complicated than those in Game of Thrones you're clearly only using a perfidious linguistic tactic to trick your readers into thinking you're smart. After all, how would you be smarter than the people who write epic fantasy sagas, that's not possible.

Edit: Well poo poo. I'll use this horrible snipe to thank whoever recommended A Dream in Polar Fog, it was great.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 17, 2021

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Haystack posted:

I'm in the mood for some real literature after a long, long time away from it. Any recommendations? I'm not really in the mood for anything intense, so anything depressing, or manic, or confusing is right out. Russian lit need not apply. Something sublime or somber would be great. Mentally, I'm picturing something with the feeling of The Name of the Rose, but I'm open to suggestions.

The obvious suggestion would be another Eco, if you haven't read them all. Baudolino maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

German weekly Die Zeit has an article about a retired miner who build up a private library of more than 70.000 books, filling his entire home with it.

I wonder what kind of books he liked!

Of course lol.

https://www.zeit.de/kultur/2024-04/privatbibliothek-bergmann-westfahlen-literatur
Here's the link if people read german or want to google translate it.