Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

If you read genre fiction you're a child and only non genre stuff is allowed to have deeper meanings. Alif the Unseen may have seemed like an exploration of the balance between tradition and technology over the backdrop of a criticism of Western concepts of intellectual freedom but that's only because you're a child reading books about genies by comic book authors go suck a diaper you nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

computer parts posted:

TBB sucks because there's not a book version of SMG.
Let's all send SMG some novels

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

CestMoi posted:

I must have missed the discussion on this one while looking at the 1 000 000 000 page Harry Potter thread
It's a genre book about modern Arab youth written by a Muslim woman, not White Guy's Laser Sword; discussion went on for a post and a half before someone asked when the next Caucasian Space Knights novel was coming out. I don't know what I'm arguing for right now.

Street Soldier posted:

Does Super Mario Galaxy really need a novelisation?
http://supermechagodzillaposts.blogspot.com/

He's the best part of Cinema Discusso

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah but there was also suggestions of "read Faulkner" which I mean, loving come on dude was a second fuckin' rate Joyce fanboy who used the tool of "make this description of something ordinary stupidly hard to read to make my fans pay super attention to how much I'm writing about this" which is on par with horror movie directors making a shot dark and quiet to make the audience pay closer attention to a jump scare. Faulkner was a guy who knew how to make really interesting, flawed as hell characters full of vices, and chose to do this by complicating up his prose just to create a fuckin' wall for his fans to hide behind and throw stones of insular smuggitude at everybody else who opened up As I Lay Dying, got to chapter two and said "man, gently caress this pretentious poo poo."

You want an author who pounded out a book in record time? Mo Yan wrote Life And Death Are Wearing Me Out in 42 days, and that one novel shits all over Faulkner's entire catalog. You want an author who took Southern Literature to amazing new heights/depths, you put down Faulkner and start giving Katherine Porter the respect she's been owed for half a fuckin' century; her short stories are incredible, and Ship Of Fools is such an intensely good book. You want an author who does amazing stream of consciousness writing? Oh my god look anywhere; Faulkner is the Stephanie Meyer of stream of consciousness's YA market. You want an alcoholic author who actually knew how to string a phrase without deliberately alienating people there's this little fuckin' guy called Ernest Miller I Write About Dickless Drunks And Bullfighting Malaise Hemingway.

Fuuuuuck Faulkner forever.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Okay but this is Joyce sooo

quote:

My love for you allows me to pray to the spirit of eternal beauty and tenderness mirrored in your eyes or fling you down under me on that softy belly of yours and gently caress you up behind, like a hog riding a sow, glorying in the very stink and sweat that rises from your arse, glorying in the open shape of your upturned dress and white girlish drawers and in the confusion of your flushed cheeks and tangled hair. It allows me to burst into tears of pity and love at some slight word, to tremble with love for you at the sounding of some chord or cadence of music or to lie heads and tails with you feeling your fingers fondling and tickling my ballocks or stuck up in me behind and your hot lips sucking off my cock while my head is wedged in between your fat thighs, my hands clutching the round cushions of your bum and my tongue licking ravenously up your rank red oval office. 

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Stravinsky posted:

Off the top of my head:
Kobo Abe
Pynchon
Mo Yan
Dellilo
Milorad Pavic
Ryu Murakami
Tao Lin (joke answer do not read)

Mo Yan is loving incredible. Everybody should read at least one novel by him.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He sounds fascinating, any suggestions of where to start / best translations?
Big Breasts And Wide Hips is a novel I keep meaning to pick up, then move onto other things. It's a lot of people's favorite Mo Yan novel, about a boy raised by his mother in a household of eight sisters. I've heard it's hilarious. I believe it.

Life And Death Are Wearing Me Out, though, is loving amazing. It's hilarious and depressing, about a landholder who is murdered and cannot accept his place in hell, so he is sent back in a series of reincarnations, to come to terms with his life - he lives as a bull, a donkey, a pig, a dog, all sorts of typical Chinese animals. It's a tale of modern Chinese history, told from the inside. It's the story of a family and a town and a country and a culture, just like 100 Years Of Solitude, only it's hilarious. I can't talk that book up enough, it's just loving phenomenal and modern and unique, and he somehow wrote the drat thing in 42 days. Dude's incredible.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What about the likes of Arthur C. Clarke?
Don't go down this road. It's like talking to people and asking "is this art" - nobody can draw line in the sand for every single person's internal definition, but you're guaranteed to be a couple of steps away from someone being a smug rear end in a top hat at you.

Generally, if you can find it on the scifi/fantasy/paranormal romance/detective/horror/whatever shelf in a bookstore, it'll be called genre by someone. Usually, if the book's not about makeouts, elves, spaceships, or stopping the terrists, it's not going to count as genre. There are exceptions, sure, especially if the book has a dumb meandering plot and was written by a white man, but generally that's a decent place to start. Also, consider what the author was trying to write - authors will sell their work with their words, and if they say "this is a weird fantasy story" or "... in a world where ..." it's probably genre, whereas if they say poo poo like "voice of a generation" or "cultural zeitgeist" or "depressed" it's more likely not.

Arthur C. Clarke wrote science fiction, and wrote it proudly; he wanted to write about the could-be, not the currently-is. That's not a hard line-in-the-sand point either, that's just what he did. He was super drat good at it too.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Chamberk posted:

If anyone's looking into reading Mo Yan, Pow! is not a great place to start. It's singularly focused on meat, meat, meat. I understand that he's trying to show China's tremendously crooked slaughterhouse industry, but man. The word "meat" shows up at least 4 times per page, mostly about how the narrator loves meat and meat loves him and he's the only one who deserves to eat the best meat and such like that.

I'm not going to give up on him - I've heard good things about Life and Death are Wearing Me Out and Big Breasts, Wide Hips. But this wouldn't be my first recommendation for anyone.
Life And Death is one of my favorite books I've read this year, and right the hell up there for favorites of all time; your description makes me want to read Pow! because I know he's going to make me laugh with his over-meatness.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Seldom Posts posted:

content: I recently read The Curfew by Jesse Ball. He's a poet, and his prose is heavily influenced by that. It's also (gasp!) about a dystopia, so it might be a good intro for someone who wants to move out of genre and try something more literary.

ShutteredIn posted:

I really like this guy. Check out Samedi the Deafness. Plays around with form in interesting ways.
gently caress yeah, Jesse Ball is awesome. Silence Once Begun is one of the best books I've read in recent memory. It's pretty much a treatise on lying and misdirection; every single character is trying to hide something, and outright lies to the narrator. Plus, it's a fuckin' murder mystery where you know from page goddamn one that Sotatsu is completely innocent and has confessed to someone else's crime.

The book is phenomenal and takes like two hours to read, everyone should find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

Franzen's latter two novels are actually really good. And I think an easy place to start with Nabokov might be a translation of Despair, because its short and the [booming voice] Question of Identity [/booming voice] is addressed really bluntly so you don't have to have much interpretive practice to understand the subtext.
Plus, it's fuckin' hilarious. I read the thing on public transport in one day to and from work and I just had the biggest dumb grin on my face for most of the book.