Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

I have never been to /lit/, but if they have more discussion about actual writing and rhetoric instead of cursory analysis, I might have to check it out.

It's actually kind of telling that you apparently can't even use middle school literary analysis tools in BB threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

That doesn't really answer my question. Maybe some of the BB crowd does read real literature, but just doesn't feel like talking about it.

Maybe we're just not pretentious enough to join Nite Crew

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I actually just finished a reread of Catch 22 (it's pretty light reading, frankly, and I recommend it to everyone) and watched the movie which I'd never gotten around to before. M&M's brothel was a particularly good touch for the adaptation.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

It's olive oil. Someone in GBS made it for me because I opened an olive oil appreciation thread and my old avatar was Katyusha.

You should do an avocado oil thread.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

No one has even mentioned Vonnegut yet. Y'all makin' me sick.

Vonnegut ruled and the best part about having spent 4 years living in the Hamptons was that I got to meet him a few times, just out and about.

Before his death.

:(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You basically have to read Catch-22 anyway, so might as well do that inbetween!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Also I'm reading Catch-22 and it's good and cool. Bye

PYF Catch-22 quote

quote:

A moment ago there had been no Yossarians in his life; now they were multiplying like hobgoblins. He tried to make himself grow calm. Yossarian was not a common name; perhaps there were not really three Yossarians but only two Yossarians, or maybe even only one Yossarian – but that really made no difference! The colonel was still in grave peril. Intuition warned him that he was drawing close to some immense and inscrutable cosmic climax, and his broad, meaty, towering frame tingled from head to toe at the thought that Yossarian, whoever he would turn out to be, was destined to serve as his nemesis.

quote:

It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

He's a bit too clever for cleverness's sake, you know?

I feel the same way about O. Henry and Mark Twain, but I tend to enjoy that so for the most part I like their poo poo.