Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oJDVfvTM

he was somehow ok

my favorite thing about this video is the shirtless fratboys

haha holy poo poo

though I guess it wouldn't be as funny if he were hurt.

e: for top of page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I was at the bus stop to the left hating everyone and hoping the bus would come to take me back to my apartment so i could drink because I had just bombed a final and had to watch all these stupid happy people. I think me negative energy is partly to blame for what happened.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i graduated from a tiny at the time public magnet school and despite rounding out the top 5 overall i was not in the top 10% and thus was not afforded automatic admission to UT. luckily as a white guy i was still able to graduate from a good school and my life is p okay so i ain't mad about it.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Sardonik posted:

My grades were so bad coming out of High School I didn't even bother applying to UT, St. Edward's across the river accepted me though, and it was pretty great all things considered. :unsmith:

High five St. Ed's goon. I went there two years, then got tired of Austin, so I came back to the Dallas area and finished at UNT.

Also, while not a campaign-ending misstep it appears Abbott has certainly ruffled some feathers with his "just drive around and ask" proposition to keeping toxic/explosive chemicals secret policy. Even heavily Republican sympathizer papers like The Dallas Morning News (amongst many others) have criticized Abbott for the policy.

For her part, I think Wendy and Battleground have done a decent job of pouncing on his stupidity but we'll see what, if anything, this means for her overall poll numbers and turn out for the fall.

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 17, 2014

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

zoux posted:

I went to SU in Georgetown because my grades guaranteed me a scholarship and nobody told me about Williamson County!

Same here!:hfive: I managed to be one of the few in my circle of friends to not be arrested at some point during our four years.

I've been volunteering with Battleground Texas whenever free time permits and just got deputized to register voters in Bexar county. I'm going to focus on registering voters for now since the combination of the summer heat and near-constant rejection have destroyed my will to continue canvassing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Admiral William H. McRaven will be the new chancellor of the UT System, replacing Cigarroa. Story here. You might know him from Osama bin Laden being dead. We will see if he takes similar measures with the other regents.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I hope he gives UT a gay pretend army too.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Admiral William H. McRaven will be the new chancellor of the UT System, replacing Cigarroa. Story here. You might know him from Osama bin Laden being dead. We will see if he takes similar measures with the other regents.

What's everyone's take of Cigarroa? I've heard very mixed things, and he did help bring a new Med School down here in the RGV that's been needed for forever and a day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

By the by the House Committee Charged with Such Things officially censured Wallace Hall yesterday. The committee vice-chair was adamant that this did not take impeachment off the table but I think if they were going to impeach him they'd have done it yesterday.

Also Wendy put out her first TV ad and well, I dunno guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV3aMuXsOVQ

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

Also Wendy put out her first TV ad and well, I dunno guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV3aMuXsOVQ

Ehhhhhh, I'd need to know more about this case. Otherwise, this veers uncomfortably close to the same "Hilary defended a rapist!" garbage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1stGear posted:

Ehhhhhh, I'd need to know more about this case. Otherwise, this veers uncomfortably close to the same "Hilary defended a rapist!" garbage.

I'm sure Gardner Selby and politifact Texas are on the case!

Actually, they are: http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2014/aug/08/wendy-davis/wendy-davis-claim-about-hiring-salesman-rapist-lac/

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Xarthor posted:

High five St. Ed's goon. I went there two years, then got tired of Austin, so I came back to the Dallas area and finished at UNT.

Also, while not a campaign-ending misstep it appears Abbott has certainly ruffled some feathers with his "just drive around and ask" proposition to keeping toxic/explosive chemicals secret policy. Even heavily Republican sympathizer papers like The Dallas Morning News (amongst many others) have criticized Abbott for the policy.

For her part, I think Wendy and Battleground have done a decent job of pouncing on his stupidity but we'll see what, if anything, this means for her overall poll numbers and turn out for the fall.

If you're still hoping that somehow Wendy Davis is going to win, I really feel sorry for you.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Even ignoring the whole political aspect it is very nice to see a company not get away with the "oh it was our contractor/franchisee/independent-distributor" dodge.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Something I think I should mention:

:siren: Early voting goes from Monday, October 20, 2014 to Friday, October 31, 2014 :siren:

(courtesy of http://votetexas.gov/voting/when/ )

This means you have from the 15th day before election day to the 4th day before election day to vote.

I'm probably the person who should care about this the least since I think half of the Republicans I can vote for are going unopposed but for those of you who actually care about voting this could be important!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Perry's been indicted by a grand jury for abuse of power over his veto for Public Integrity Unit funding :getin:

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/08/15/grand-jury-indicts-perry-abuse-authority/

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Badger of Basra posted:

Perry's been indicted by a grand jury for abuse of power over his veto for Public Integrity Unit funding :getin:

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/08/15/grand-jury-indicts-perry-abuse-authority/

Thanks Obama

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

i guess we know why he didn't run again.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

i guess we know why he didn't run again.

Well he's going to run for president so I don't think this is why.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

A minimum of five years if convicted. Woof.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Is it cynical to think that there's no way he even gets close to a conviction because of this?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I just got this pushed to me by NPR so please, please let this be serious!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Abbot will probably grant a full pardon before the court is adjourned.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pardon would require him to be convicted first.

I really hope this sticks.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Was just about to post this! Will this have any reaching effects to the whole debacle with the UT Board of Regents vs Bill Powers? Crazy to see this on the heels of all that Gov. Goodhair press that had been going on for the last few months.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Austin goon here. I've lived in Texas my whole life, but I've always had a hard time caring about Texas politics because it all seems so helpless. And, as a gay dude, reading anything on Texas politics for too long makes my blood boil.

That said, Wendy Davis has caused me to care again. I really want to do whatever I can to help out the campaign. She really gives me hope for a purple Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

Was just about to post this! Will this have any reaching effects to the whole debacle with the UT Board of Regents vs Bill Powers? Crazy to see this on the heels of all that Gov. Goodhair press that had been going on for the last few months.

That's over, for now. The investigation committee decided to simply "censure" Hall instead of impeaching him, though they maintain they could do this later (they won't). Powers is gone next year by mutual agreement, and I'm afraid his replacement will be awful.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
loving burn, Perry.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oJDVfvTM

he was somehow ok

my favorite thing about this video is the shirtless fratboys

I was there for this, but the follow up the next year was the best part. People were running around dressed up as city busses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd be surprised if he gets convicted but adios mofo to his Presidential chances.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I'd be surprised if he gets convicted but adios mofo to his Presidential chances.

Really? I think this kind of stuff is perfect for playing the victim to the left-wing witch hunt out to get him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hard to campaign when you're standing trial.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The base may excuse him and even rally around him on it if it were him vs. a democrat, but he won't have that going for him in a primary, and you can bet that the Paul, Cruz, et al camps are already busy with their digging on it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Really? I think this kind of stuff is perfect for playing the victim to the left-wing witch hunt out to get him.

His party controls nearly every organ in the state and though they constantly poo poo on the board that Democrats currently 'control with iron fist' it makes you look pretty bad when you can get away with it with impunity be it not for those rascally powerless demoncrats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In no world is this a "good thing" for Rick Perry.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Badger of Basra posted:

That might help for his base, but it sure as hell doesn't help with independents.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
His base will be too busy infighting about electability and jumping ship to Cruz or whoever. He's done.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jerry Jones is awoken late in the night from the one phone with only one number on it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

And to think how much grumpyface he wasted on Obama, just to go out like that. Shame. :reject:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

His threatening the elected official is also a felony, and it was pretty obvious that this was the case (I don't think he even tried to hide it?) so I'm optimistic about the second felony. The first one, actually withholding the funds, is legal according to Perry's counsel, so that one could go either way.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Justice isn't dead. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Between the recent Perry news and a recent Reuters poll showing Wendy 8 points behind Abbott any of you starting to think her win is completely out of the realm of possibility?

EDIT -- I mean NOT out of the realm of possibility.

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 16, 2014