Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

zoux posted:

Lol they had that POO explanation ready to go

:itwaspoo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goddamn they moved the previous question on his rear end

That whole thing fuckin owned, y’all should go back and watch it when they post it tomorrow

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 22, 2019

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

That whole thing fuckin owned, y’all should go back and watch it when they post it tomorrow

That was a work of art. Probably worth watching the whole fight more than once.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that was too inside-baseball for me

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone see geren body block sticky

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

wait really

owned

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PhilPrazan/status/1131048671091408896

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
As a total idiot rube who decides he would rather do something else every time I try to understand the absurdity of the legislative process, what exactly happens when you say stick man point of ordered a bill to kill it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It means it violated the House rules in some way. YOu raise a point of order against further consideration of this bill based on the fact that it violates section whatever of the House rules, and the parliamentarians rule on it. This one in particular was a rule that bill analyses have to accurately reflect the content of the bill. I'm not sure what the exact problem was with this one but: it's the same one they used to kill the Chick Fil A bill. In that one the BA said that the bill didn't create any rulemaking authority when it did. It's ticky-tack bullshit but it's also the only way single members or minority factions can outright kill legislation. If this was two weeks ago, they could've sent the bill back to committee, corrected the BA and had it back on the floor in a couple of days but under a deadline like last night that's not an option.

Sticky tried to POO the amendment form of SB 10 they put on SB 11 last night on germaneness (unlike Congress amendments to the bill have to actually apply to the bill) but they had a typed and cited refutation ready to go within five minutes so they were ready for that one. Parliamentarians have pretty wide latitude to rule on this stuff so there's a fudge factor that depends on what leadership wants, but not always. Years ago, when they were trying session after session to oust Craddick as speaker, when they were finally about to do it, he wouldn't recognize anyone to call the question to vacate the chair. Eventually the parliamentarian said, look this motion is in order I cannot rule against it, so he fired her.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
So a douchebag tried to rules lawyer and got owned, sweet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They call points of order all the loving time, D's probably use it way more than Rs because they're in the minority. Trey Martinez-Fisher is (in)famous for killing poo poo on technicalities.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thy said, Strickland is a douchebag.

I assume his district loves him for it, right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Thy said, Strickland is a douchebag.

I assume his district loves him for it, right?

He can't be popular in the local county party apparatus but I doubt his reelection is in jeopardy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I often wonder that myself but I think it's the same poo poo that a lot of people voted for Trump over: gently caress government. And then just a lot of people who are gonna pull the R lever no matter what. He's not here to pass bills, he's here to be a nuisance and the Empower Texans set loves it, you should've seen them whining on Twitter last night. Also he's appealing to a specific crackpot constituency. In this specific instance, they believe that mental health is an illuminati conspiracy and actually the number one cause of school shootings is anti-depressants, so they love Stickland for his antics.

But no he doesn't accomplish anything for his district, he's so despised he couldn't start doing stuff if he wanted to. He actually endangers the people that live in his district. From the 2017 budget debate:

quote:

Stickland had filed an amendment to defund a state program for the abatement of feral hogs, which he’s become known for championing at the Legislature each session. Stickland railed predictably against the program, calling it “ridiculous” and a waste of money.

“It has not worked, and it never will work,” Stickland said, his voice rising.

That apparently offended rural lawmakers, notably state Rep. Drew Springer, R-Muenster. In response, Springer attached an amendment to Stickland's proposal that would cut the same amount of funding for the Texas Department of Transportation, but only for roads and highways in Stickland’s hometown of Bedford.

Stickland took to the back microphone to cry foul.

“Someone else has chosen to make a mockery of this system and play gotcha politics,” he said before being interrupted. Laughter had erupted in the gallery.

“It’s funny until it happens to you,” he continued.

Springer and Stickland then confronted each other on the middle of the House floor and had to be separated by colleagues. Springer’s amendment ultimately passed, 99 to 26, forcing Stickland to withdraw his own proposal to which it had been attached.

He's so despised that there were 100 votes to cut off state road funding for his hometown just to spite him.

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1131046806589181952

e: oh hey good deal
https://twitter.com/RepJayapal/status/1131225783962394626

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 22, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is Stickland's end goal for doing all this? Get nothing passed?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
He gets that sweet conservative oil money to do all this stuff

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Fox News or somehow a Federal appointment

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Name in the paper, hand jobs from Tim Dunn, some people are just dickheads who like being assholes for assholes sake, probably all of that. Most people are just as baffled as you are. Of course, we're at the point now where he hates them just as much as they hate him. A few years ago the loving House admin chair tied a cookie to a string and tried to use it to "lure" Sticky away from the back mic. So simple spite could be behind it all. It's certainly motivating the Speaker, you could tell he was relishing cramming his gavel down Stickland's throat last night. Bonnen's an old school institutionalist, he'd preside more than Strauss, so Sticky (and the rest of the HFC) basically making the House dysfunctional by ignoring long standing traditions and handshake agreements really pisses him off.

Also there's a famous Buckley (?) quote about conservatives standing athwart the progress of history and shouting NO, so yeah, he's here to get nothing passed.

e: in fact if you'd like to see Sticky's Revenge, they're doing a local calendar this morning, and any member can kill any bill on it by talking for five minutes. I'd wager he's going to massacre a shitload of legislation, which is going to make the Senate kill a shitload of House bills on their local calendar today, so there's gonna be a lot of Stickland bashing today.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I figured he would have been in favor of a single payer system twenty years ago, though I guess I formed my opinion of doggett by my dad telling me he was a communist in the 90s

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

LLLLLLOYDDDDDOGGGGETTTTT

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1131249187939606531

Oooh timely
https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1131253637341220864

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 22, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

I figured he would have been in favor of a single payer system twenty years ago, though I guess I formed my opinion of doggett by my dad telling me he was a communist in the 90s
i'm sure he would've as well, though i haven't brushed up on the details. my impression is the M4A campaigners put things like this out as a strategy and as a form of signaling to build momentum and so forth. like he just signed onto a bill that's in the works right now? so, that's why. not that he has changed his position all of a sudden.

ran into him once when he was out campaigning when i lived in his district. my impression is that he was always popular because of his focus on constituent service.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Stickland called another point of order on SB 11. Here we go again

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And again, overruled.

And again another PoO.

See, if he was a normal legislator, he'd be disincentivized from this kind of behavior because other members would kill his own bills. But since he doesn't carry legislation....

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

TropicalCoke posted:

Stickland called another point of order on SB 11. Here we go again

This was inevitable. And it's been overruled, on the same reason as yesterday.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

And again, overruled.

And again another PoO.

See, if he was a normal legislator, he'd be disincentivized from this kind of behavior because other members would kill his own bills. But since he doesn't carry legislation....

Can't have retribution against your legislation if you don't legislate

[img-guy-pointing-to-his-temple]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a hell of a way to try and run a democracy.

#2 overruled, he's not at the back mic anymore so he's either cookin up some bullshit or he's all out of ideas.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 22, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Next lege they probably need to come up with some form of a Stickland-blocker bill that just nukes all funding to his district. Threatening to do that seems to be the only way to make him back off from his grandstanding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He was the only GOP rep returned to the Lege with less than 50% of the vote so it may not be necessary.

Here's what bugs me about the House, Oliverson and Miss T obviously want this bill to pass, but they're up here asking questions on it which only gives opponents more time to come up with something. Just let it pass, no one gives a poo poo about these "helper" back mic questions, they don't show up in stories, no one cares.

Anyway, it's passed, gently caress off Stickland. 135-7-3

In the end, there were not enough sticky poos to stop the bill.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 22, 2019

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

I often wonder that myself but I think it's the same poo poo that a lot of people voted for Trump over: gently caress government. And then just a lot of people who are gonna pull the R lever no matter what. He's not here to pass bills, he's here to be a nuisance and the Empower Texans set loves it, you should've seen them whining on Twitter last night. Also he's appealing to a specific crackpot constituency. In this specific instance, they believe that mental health is an illuminati conspiracy and actually the number one cause of school shootings is anti-depressants, so they love Stickland for his antics.

Having worked on these bills all session...if y'all don't follow, "parental rights" and "parental consent" has been the strategy scientologists (Citizens Commission on Human Rights) and "concerned mom" groups have been using all session. They will throw it out there, and fearmongering around medication, regardless of what is in the bill and try to scare everyone, but if a legislator goes out of their way to include parental protections or not talk about medication, it's still never enough. Because they don't actually argue in good faith - they just don't believe mental health issues are real. Rep. Stickland is just leaning into that.

And the "90% of school shooters were on anti-depressants" stuff gets said all the time by the scientologists and their allies, to the point where I think more people are starting to think it's real. They managed to briefly get an amendment onto SB 1390, the suicide prevention in schools bill, that would have required teachers to teach children in the health classes that psych meds cause suicide and violent behavior. It was removed in the House, and the scientologists were furious.

I get stalling or killing bills through points of order on ideology across parties, but when it's literally just one guy versus everyone else in the government and stakeholders, and his reasoning is based on "gently caress government" and nothing...argh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I just checked to see which Senator put that amendment on there and of course it's Bob "EMP" Hall

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Lol I just checked to see which Senator put that amendment on there and of course it's Bob "EMP" Hall

Yep! That made it a lot easier for it to leave the bill ASAP on the House side.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1131341732535308289

Yeah well gently caress you The Onion

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This satire brought to you by the people who put Joe Biden in the lead for the nomination

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Badger of Basra posted:

This satire brought to you by the people who put Joe Biden in the lead for the nomination

At least there's some introspection happening as a result of that. https://boingboing.net/2019/05/17/onion-editor-regrets-portrayin.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1131647064872562688

Deal on 1, 2 and 3 reached, despite all the wishcasting for a special session on twitter this week.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How's that math going to add up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno they're still jacking each other off on their accomplishments

https://twitter.com/AliyyaSwaby/status/1131647405047386113

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1131650576306049031

Patriots win again!

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 23, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"Bonnen, asked by a reporter after his remarks about how the two chambers had handled differences on the teacher pay issue, said he was going to “shut it all down right now” before diving into a football reference."

We solved it, but won't tell you how. Why do I get the feeling this deal is on considerably more tenuous footing than the little Mission Accomplished press conference makes it out to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This is so weird. Are they gonna let people read the bill before they vote on it?