Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/CuellarCampaign/status/1164632584128749569

Please primary this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

usually it's lovely to say "dat ratio" but lol that beats cornyn and mcconnell by a mile

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This lady is!

https://www.jessicacisnerosforcongress.com/

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

He is right to an extent, any GND legislation should include explicit investment in O&G heavy areas to offset the losses in the energy sector to prevent the widespread devastation that we saw after NAFTA when midwestern industry was shipped away.

This could take many shapes, including requiring GND manufacturing facilities to be in Texas and Louisiana, incentives for private sector wind, solar, commuter rail, whatever who are receiving massive windfalls from the Federal Government to relocate their corporate HQ to Houston.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 23, 2019

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Small derail, are tweets not embedding properly for anyone else? I have SA on the tracker exceptions list and tried turning the blocking level down to "standard" from "strict". All I see is text formatted like it wants to embed but can't?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I had that problem when I had ghostery blocking everything. I just gave up and unblocked twitter stuff on here.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Just a reminder that MJ Hegar sucks and is a troop.

She voted in the 2016 Republican primary, according to voting records, and previously said, in a tweet that has now been deleted, that she “proudly” voted for Hillary Clinton in the general election. Screenshots obtained by The Intercept show that Hegar shared posts from Gary Johnson’s presidential campaign and changed her profile picture to a photo of the Gadsden flag, which is associated with libertarianism.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

does she suck by Democrat Candidate For Statewide Election In Texas standards or just regular standards

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Gonna take quite a lot to be a worse option than John “We should heed Mussolini’s advice” Cronyn.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FBS posted:

does she suck by Democrat Candidate For Statewide Election In Texas standards or just regular standards

yes

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/stjbs/status/1164968595031560192

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

drat, that implies premeditation right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh gently caress yes, been waiting for an update on this for like seven months

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

He completely represents Houston's most successful white flight district, which is notable because Houston has been the the most successful major city at annexing the poo poo or of attempts to flee the tax base.

Are you still overseas or back in TX these days?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
spotted in the wild: a kamala bumper sticker

pretty weird

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

spotted in the wild: a kamala bumper sticker

pretty weird

Well you know what one of your district prosecutors drives

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Panty Saluter posted:

Small derail, are tweets not embedding properly for anyone else? I have SA on the tracker exceptions list and tried turning the blocking level down to "standard" from "strict". All I see is text formatted like it wants to embed but can't?

I found the answer, the DuckDuckGo extension was killing embeds (I get why they would), but there is literally an option to show embedded tweets. All I had to do was enable it. Hopefully one or two of y'all might find this helpful. Back to your regularly scheduled programming :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Well, there's a start I guess

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

No Safe Word posted:

drat, that implies premeditation right?

Actually it's not a "Murder" charge, it's a "Federal Murder" charge which isn't "premeditation to kill someone" it's basically "you intentionally did something that got someone killed while doing another Felony."

From the article:

quote:

Because the deaths occurred in the course of another alleged felony — tampering with a government record — Goines was charged with felony murder.

Unlike a regular murder charge, felony murder doesn’t require showing that the defendant intended to kill. Instead, prosecutors just have to show that, while committing another felony, the defendant committed an act clearly dangerous to human life — in this case, the execution of a no-knock warrant — and that it resulted in a death.

So instead of proving that the cop wanted to specifically kill one or both of this couple, the prosecution has to prove that the reason the couple is dead is because guy did something with a high risk of human life (calling in a no-knock raid) while otherwise committing a felony (falsifying evidence)

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Cuellar fired his chief of staff while she was pregnant

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Is there a dead guy in this picture.....

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Is there a dead guy in this picture.....

Look it was a tough run ok

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
He's there representing the Heard listing just below the Comedor listing.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Not to defend haggar or any of that, but I am registered and have voted in the Republican primaries here several times because that's what you got to do to pick a lot of the jobs in my area especially regarding School.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1165403952411750401?s=20

if you're wondering, I'm still mad at Pete Davidson for this

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Can you imagine if they had to campaign where people are and say things that are best for everyone instead of eating corn dogs and pandering to a specific small group? How terrible!

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Can anyone give a rundown on the Houston mayoral race? I've started seeing signs and posters popping up, so I figure it's about time to be more interested in what's happening there?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

devildragon777 posted:

Can anyone give a rundown on the Houston mayoral race? I've started seeing signs and posters popping up, so I figure it's about time to be more interested in what's happening there?

I'll do an effort post tomorrow

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lolll Bland to the state supreme court

she was one of the GOP judges kicked out in harris county last year. love too fail upward

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

David Whitely is currently making more money in the Governor's policy shop than he did as SoS

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/robertwilonsky/status/1166016687596068864?s=21

Uh wtf?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This does not seem appropriate - like I get if he continued to practice because they dont make much money like a state legislator, but to become a public finance lawyer seems ridiculous.

Then again our dumb baby President is going to host the G7 summit at his failing golf club to bail it out, so who knows what is a conflict and what isnt anymore.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I like how they call him Mayor Johnson in everything

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
To be fair, the mayoral position pays $45k a year so he has to do something in addition and most recent paying jobs involve some conflict of interest. The correct answer here is to pay the mayor an acceptable wage and then not allow them to work in anything that could be a conflict of interest

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How does Mayor of Dallas only pay $45k a year? It's way too big of a city for that.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I've noticed a lot of local level and state level elected offices guarantee that the only ones that could afford to do it are business owners or the independently wealthy.

Pretty strange coincidence.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Spacebump posted:

How does Mayor of Dallas only pay $45k a year? It's way too big of a city for that.

Some dude on twitter said he got a pay raise to $80k (still too low), because Mayor is essentially a ceremonial position and the city is run by a City Manager and the Council.

So he is basically just a ribbon cutter.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Sab0921 posted:

Some dude on twitter said he got a pay raise to $80k (still too low), because Mayor is essentially a ceremonial position and the city is run by a City Manager and the Council.

So he is basically just a ribbon cutter.

conversely, the city manager makes $400,000 a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well the city manager isn't elected. The Legislature is the same way, we have a "part-time citizen legislature" which means that they get paid $600 a mo and a $190 per diem when session is in. Total two year salary: $41k so it's literally impossible to do the job without being wealthy.

https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/1166406510999691265

Uh, that doesn't seem great

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2019