Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

None of those have any reason to be constitutional amendments so I'll be voting against all of them on principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

None of those have any reason to be constitutional amendments so I'll be voting against all of them on principle.

The reason is that Texas law/constitution requires things that are statutory changes in other states have to be constitutional here. If it's on the ballot, the only way to make it law is through an amendment.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What court/committee makes that call?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roumba posted:

What court/committee makes that call?

It's a whole mess of topics, anything that has to do with taxes, or revenue, there's a whole list of stuff like that, it's not down to a committee or court to decide.

here's a thing on it

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 17, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if.....ya didn't have a mega huge meltdown on twitter

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This guy is immune to being owned on twitter because you can’t do the first name/last name thing to him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nicolecobler/status/1174352036760031233

e: gently caress me
https://twitter.com/andreazelinski/status/1174354446702301186

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 18, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aaaaaa

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't worry we're on it
https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1174371498930388993

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe school shootings are good for the economy a la broken windows theory

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

i say swears online posted:

maybe school shootings are good for the economy a la broken windows theory

go gently caress yourself

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

go gently caress yourself

Is being this willfully dense so you can assume everyone in here is a secret conservative piece of poo poo a gimmick or are you just generally this tedious and self-righteous.

For my good faith friends in the thread, an excellent article on the fight between history and myth in Texas
https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/1174383852141330434

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

zoux posted:

Is being this willfully dense so you can assume everyone in here is a secret conservative piece of poo poo a gimmick or are you just generally this tedious and self-righteous.

no i just dont like making jokes about tragedies when people i know have died in them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

no i just dont like making jokes about tragedies when people i know have died in them

So the latter

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

So the latter

gently caress you, idiot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1174392953034481665

Hahah this just keeps happening by "accident"

It's like when they tried to teach the Twitter algorithm to ban Nazis it ended up banning too many Republicans so they had to roll it back

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

zoux posted:

For my good faith friends in the thread, an excellent article on the fight between history and myth in Texas

I think this thread inspired me to read up on William B. Travis. They still name schools after that poo poo head

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I think this thread inspired me to read up on William B. Travis. They still name schools after that poo poo head

Was there a particular thing he did to single him out amongst all the shitheads in Texas history?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ travis got into debt buying slaves when he was like 20

remembering from college, they were mostly pretty lovely, especially the alamo guys. only houston seemed interesting. lamar too, in a "land of contrasts" way

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 18, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Stop posting your own work in the thread, Chris!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Houston famously opposed secession but I'm sure he was, like every white person alive in 1860, a white supremacist.

I mean to say that yes, they all sucked (de Zavala was cool but that's pending someone posting some horrid thing he did), some more than others, but I'm unaware of Wm B Travis' exceptional sins, but I'm also not a huge Texas history buff.

Badger of Basra posted:

Stop posting your own work in the thread, Chris!!!

Lol that would be an insanely high compliment

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Travis representing slave owners in the Anahuac disturbances is pretty lovely when you move to a country that didn't allow slavery. Abandoning your wife and kids because you failed as a lawyer is pretty lovely too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Houston famously opposed secession but I'm sure he was, like every white person alive in 1860, a white supremacist.
he lived with the cherokee for years, knew the language, and booted 'em out of tennessee

quote:

Lol that would be an insanely high compliment
better than dave wiegel

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Travis representing slave owners in the Anahuac disturbances is pretty lovely when you move to a country that didn't allow slavery. Abandoning your wife and kids because you failed as a lawyer is pretty lovely too

Sooooo many those Texas colonists were failsons and rapscallions fleeing something back east. It's the same now except we get it from both coasts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1174424148019429377

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
my favorite texan historical figure is emma tenayuca

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

This was a drat good article. Thanks for that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

This was a drat good article. Thanks for that.

No prob, I think Chris is the best Texas political writer going right now

Would y'all agree with this assertion:

quote:

Texans have a much stronger sense of their history than the citizens of any other state

I mean, I do, but it's unsubstantiated so other states might disagree.

They talk about in the beginning the fight over Confederate Heroes day in 2015. Last session, when Creighton proposed his monuments bill, soooo many people came to testify in favor of the Confederacy, one guy dressed in full CSA cavalry officer uniform; hat sash and everything. So, I thought it was hilarious when Hooks found out that Creighton, so concerned about the historical record, misidentified the Terry's Texas Rangers brigade his traitorous ancestors fought for as the actual Texas Rangers, claiming they "kept Texas safe" when they were actually fighting in Gettysburg. These people don't give a gently caress about the poo poo they say they do, they just want to piss off libs

quote:

An ancestor of Creighton’s had served in Terry’s Texas Rangers, a Confederate cavalry regiment that played havoc with the Union Army in a number of battles—but never fought on Texas soil. An extravagant memorial to the regiment sits near the Capitol’s front steps. Creighton told the chamber that the monument reminded him daily of “that family history in law enforcement and the sacrifice” his ancestor made to keep Texas “safe and protected.” He appeared, that is, to have confused the military unit with the more-well-known Texas Rangers, a completely different organization. Moments like that make it difficult to shake the notion that it’s the revisionists who take history more seriously.

Patterson makes a more compelling argument, since he actually knows history, but I think the thing he's missing is that monuments aren't neutral history, they have context and connotation. No one is going to "forget history" because they didn't see the CSA monument on the south grounds of the Capitol because we have books and the internet.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 19, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

No prob, I think Chris is the best Texas political writer going right now

Would y'all agree with this assertion:

I mean, I do, but it's unsubstantiated so other states might disagree.

States I can think of that might disagree:
-Massachusetts (though I bet their history gets subsumed into general American history)
-Virginia (ditto)
-California
-Hawaii
-Alaska
-New Mexico

I think the main thing is, does it take more to explain your state’s history then “white people killed a bunch of Native Americans”?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

White people killed a bunch of Native Americans AND Mexicans

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we're definitely the state furthest east that teaches about the mexican american war

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

States I can think of that might disagree:
-Massachusetts (though I bet their history gets subsumed into general American history)
-Virginia (ditto)
-California
-Hawaii
-Alaska
-New Mexico

I think the main thing is, does it take more to explain your state’s history then “white people killed a bunch of Native Americans”?

i'm from Oklahoma, and there's a little more to Oklahoma history but not a lot more. Lot of "Native Americans forced to move here, then had the land taken from them again, some people cheated in the land rush (Sooners), then the Dust Bowl happened and all the Okies were starving." Sometimes we hear about the Tulsa race riots (which were mostly just white people destroying Black Wall Street, not two-sided) and about oil companies, but that's it. Our sources are pride are really just oil companies and the cultural projects they funded before merging and moving to Houston, and the Native American cultures we still have. A lot of rightful shaming about the Trail of Tears, not enough about the Tulsa race riots.

Utah has a strong origin story and history to their state (my mother is from there), but it's heavily intertwined with the origin story of Mormonism itself.

I don't know a lot of Texas history, but it's still surreal to me the intense mythology and exceptionalism around it and how ingrained it is into Texans. The state pledge of allegiance really threw me off.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
We have (or at least I had) like 3 explicit years of texas history during k-12

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

We have (or at least I had) like 3 explicit years of texas history during k-12

Yeah, I'm sure that's still the curriculum. Do other states do this?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

in fourth grade we had an explicit segment of social studies on the history of the ~10k population oil boom town we lived in

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

in fourth grade we had an explicit segment of social studies on the history of the ~10k population oil boom town we lived in

Yeah we had a city history section too. It was pretty sad because the town's biggest event was during the war with Mexico:

- The white people got together and killed the Mexican garrison at the local fort
- They occupied the fort and issued a challenge to the Mexican army to try to remove them
- The Mexican army never bothered to show up
- Everyone went home after a few weeks

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

i say swears online posted:

^^ travis got into debt buying slaves when he was like 20

remembering from college, they were mostly pretty lovely, especially the alamo guys. only houston seemed interesting. lamar too, in a "land of contrasts" way

I find Houston fascinating and compelling as a historical figure, perhaps more than any American, but I can't buy into Lamar's 'father of Texas education' image that's continually propagated when he was so hugely responsible for the slaughter of peaceful native tribes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that's still the curriculum. Do other states do this?

I had a New Mexico history class when I lived there in middle school

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

most states do at least a semester of state history I think

but Texas has a pretty rich history in comparison to most other states, what with the whole six flags thing and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a real crime that kids in parts around here aren't taught about the Comanche. They spent the better part of two centuries as the dominant power that shaped everything else around here. In some ways, it's for the best that they declined, since they relied a lot on raiding and slavery, but they're worth learning about all the same.

History is big and complex and white nationalists just try to ignore all of it.