Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What percentage of Hispanic Texans are registered to vote, and vote? And how does this break down between the different cities and regions? Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

I wonder if Julian Castro is aiming for VP? San Antonio seems to be doing ok as far as I can tell from staying here maybe he can use that.

The HUD appointment pretty much has to be to bolster Castro's political profile and resume from "appealing mayor of a city that is second or third tier in size", aside from him possibly being really good for the post.

From there he can either run for statewide office in Texas, or elsewhere, or perhaps angle straight for a national ticket spot as a VP candidate and bypass the problematic issue of trying to win statewide in Texas as a Democrat.

HorseRenoir posted:

A big problem is that most registered Hispanics in Texans don't actually vote. I don't know what percent is actually registered, but only 39% of eligible Hispanics in Texas actually voted in 2012.

So what would it take to awaken the sleeping El Paso giant? A well run and well supported Julian Castro Senate or Governor run?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/art...-15-6229453.php

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday asked the State Guard to monitor a U.S. military training exercise dubbed "Jade Helm 15" amid Internet-fueled suspicions that the war simulation is really a hostile military takeover.

The request comes a day after more than 200 people packed a meeting in rural Bastrop County and questioned a U.S. Army commander about whether the government was planning to confiscate guns or implement martial law. Bastrop County Judge Paul Pape said "conspiracy theorists" and "fear mongers" had been in a frenzy.

Pape thanked Abbott for the letter to the Texas State Guard, which he believed helped emphasize the benefit of the military training rather than further fuel theorists.

"It's a sad when people's greatest fear is their own government," Pape said. "Think about the ramification of that. If Americans go to sleep at night worrying whether their own government is going to sell them out before morning, it'd be hard to sleep."

Suspicions about Jade Helm intensified on some conservative websites and social media after a map labeled Texas, Utah and parts of California as "hostile" for the purposes of the three-month training exercise that begins in July. Such war simulations aren't unusual, though the Army has acknowledged that the size and scope of Jade Helm makes it unique.

Texas and six other states are hosting the exercises on public and private lands. The Army says the terrain and topography in the areas selected are ideal to replicate foreign combat zones.

No other governor had so publicly addressed the training exercise.

"It is important that Texans know their safety, constitutional rights, private property rights and civil liberties will not be infringed," Abbott wrote. "By monitoring the Operation on a continual basis, the State Guard will facilitate communications between my office and the commanders of the Operation to ensure that adequate measures are in place to protect Texans."

U.S. Army Lt. Col. Mark Lastoria told the crowd in Bastrop on Monday that the exercise will involve 1,200 soldiers and all four branches of the military, according to the Austin American-Statesman. He said people with a "personal agenda" about the exercise had been spreading misinformation.

Lastoria spoke for two hours, but some left the meeting still unconvinced.

Pape told The Associated Press that some came from as far as Houston and Dallas to attend the meeting. He said the county could reap as much as $150,000 in economic activity from the exercise, which in Bastrop is set to include 60 soldiers, two Humvees and a helicopter.

Bastrop County is home to Camp Swift, the largest base for the Texas National Guard, and Pape said most people likely won't even notice.

"There's been a lot of dust thrown in the air, a lot of haze," Pape said. "Those who wanted to raise concerns on the one hand succeeded. They've raised a lot of attention about this. But the fact is the message is clear: Jade Helm is a well-designed and a well-constructed training operation."

___

Associated Press Writer Eva Ruth Moravec contributed to this report.

Abbott won his election easily didn't he? He's the incumbent GOP governor of Texas. His reelection is assured, any political realignment in the state that could endanger that is many years off from what I can see from inside Texas, this state just likes being Republican too drat much right now.

Why does he feel the need to pander to the extreme yahoos like this? If election time was near and a wingnut Tea Party challenger was primarying him, okay. But why?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I do have to say, the "Miss me" shirt combined with the woman's dopey face does cause a certain level of annoyance.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Astros were up big going into the 8th inning of their playoff game today and would have clinched the series if they'd won and gone on to the American League Championship Series. After this tweet, they had a monstrous 8th inning where they gave up their big lead and wound up behind and eventually lost the game, now they have to play a final and deciding game in Kansas City where they could be eliminated if they lose.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So apparently there's a fresh new attack on Planned Parenthood by the state of Texas, trying to deny them funding based on the bullshit videos? Is this straight from the governor or some ambitious up and comer trying to ride the wave and make a name for themselves?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ned-parenthood/

Is Texas going to become increasingly right wing every year until something breaks? With the elected representatives moving in the direction of Cruz, Gohmert, and Abbott etc. I don't see any signs of it letting up in the near future.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Those of you who have lived in TX a long time, what do you think the endpoint of the wing-nut-ization of Texas politics is? IS there one?

In recent years it's gone from Rick Perry and KayBay to Abbott, Patrick, and Ted Cruz. It seems there is no end in sight. Will it take some huge collapse of the economy for a large portion of Texans to no longer revel in their identity as right wing trogs? Will the majority actually get sick of this at some point?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm registered to vote but not entirely sure where my voter reg card is. Will my driver's license suffice?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What are you all hearing around Texas as far as sentiment for the Presidential candidates? Any friends and neighbors who want to Make America Great Again?

A lot of rabid Cruz fans?

I've heard some negative sentiments expressed against Cruz by some very conservative people which surprised me.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So I moved and in changing address I had to update my voter registration.

In filling out the voter registration change of address it required me to state Dem/Rep/Indep/Other for the first time that I can ever remember. Is it just me or is this a new thing? I don't recall even having the option to register as with a party in the past, you only had to declare which primary you were voting in if you were voting in one.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wikkheiser posted:

Texas GOPers are really their own worst enemies given the organizational dysfunction of the TDP. Demographics help but won't automatically translate into people showing up and voting without a concerted effort to turn them out, or barring that, the Republicans completely blowing it and doing something crazy, like nominating an explicitly anti-Mexican racist ... oh poo poo.

They need to purge the Sid Millers, Dan Patricks and Ted Cruzes from the party or they're going to be in trouble. I think they'll muddle through for awhile, but eventually it will catch up to them and I will live to see it.

Related: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11/04/the-brief/

Yeah. I'm struck how the statewide office holders seem to get more and more wingnutty every election and I'm not at all convinced the state as a whole is moving in that direction. Feels like something's gotta give at some point.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Good boy, Ted! That's a GOOD boy! The Eye of Sauron will surely turn its baleful gaze away from you and forget your opposition during the primary!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

UT is taking down the rest of its confederate statues, apparently tonight.

https://twitter.com/marymhuber/stat...482486635466753

Yesss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Any U.S. Congressional seats looking like potential pickups for Dems next year? Are there candidates?