Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
people are losing their minds over this Jade Helm poo poo because on one hand OBAMA IS RUINING OUR COUNTRY and on the other SUPPORT ARE TROOPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

I'm going to give Perry the benefit of the doubt and assume he means "accusing the army of plotting a coup is insane and an insult to servicemembers" and not "the military can do no wrong, ever".

No the prevailing thought is that the military can do no wrong, ever.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
but guys, officer safety!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

He was this close to winning a Darwin Award.

he was listening to NPR. you can't make this poo poo up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Austin is the person that never stops telling you about how many black/brown/yellow friends they have while still crossing to the other side of the street when they see a homeless person

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Eh, soldiers carrying assault rifles wouldn't bother me that much. They are soldiers.

Regular citizens, on the other hand? gently caress that poo poo.

Literally no one who wants soldiers carrying in public has had to spend any time around soldiers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
They're liberal until it comes to money or letting poors near their homes via transit systems

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Build up and make zoning less hostile to splitting lots and multifamily projects.

The trouble is that the homeowners who bought in the 80s and 90s are not directly affected by the housing shortage, and place greater priority on the neighborhood looking like they remember than on the teacher at the school being able to live there. They got large sections of Austin downzoned, aggressively enforce deed restrictions, and work to preserve single family only neighborhood plans which are treated like the writ of God. So the construction occurs in areas that didn't then or doesn't now have the political pull to block it - East Austin.

A little article about the fight between developer and existing homeowners, in general: http://cityobservatory.org/homevoters-v-the-growth-machine/

MY PROPERTY VALUES!@!!!!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The problem with property taxes is them being based on entirely subjective evaluations. Its especially lovely in economic booms on people either with fixed income or in a profession not part of the boom like teachers. Also you know the whole loving horrible school funding model we have.

That said we'd probably replace it with a 40% sales tax on bread and milk while removing it on vehicles over $30,000 because gently caress poor people.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
nice bean soup yall got there

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

e_angst posted:

and Real Ale Brewing Co.

ugh like half of what they make is great A++++++++ WOULD BUY AGAIN and the rest is loving garbage

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

radical meme posted:

Plus, I honestly and sincerely don't know how much longer high school football will be around. I don't even know how a parent can justify letting their son play the sport in this day and age; and I'm someone who played and I've coached Pop Warner leagues. I'm almost ashamed of having coached those kids now. The cost vs. benefit of letting young boys play the sport is just not there any more; there are too many other team and individual sports available that won't lead to early onset of dementia and brain disease.

You must live somewhere strange because I have literally never met a parent that wasn't gung-loving-ho about their child playing football

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Aliquid posted:

I paid $8 for a Lone Star. Never again.

I hope you mean they paid you $8 to drink a Lone Star and yeah that is not near enough money to drink that poo poo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

It's rather telling that while I know that it's basically piss-water and atrocious I will still fight to the death to defend it if someone from out of state complains about it.

My Nebraska-born sister-in-law has decided she is now a cowgirl and wears a cowboy hat and drinks Lone Star. I can see the visible pain on her face with every sip. I just don't get it man.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Its not just Penn State and Baylor but most schools know better than to try and portray themselves as better than the rest.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
From a leadership perspective its also irrelevant since the BoR is calling all the shots.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
its always tamale season

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
that doesnt sound very authentic

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Build a Torchy's and they will come

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
thats hell on the eyes

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
between all the blue lights and prayer circles i don't see how we can possibly have problems now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

So i've been out of the country for the last few weeks - wtf are you talking about? What did i miss?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/texas-governor-burned-accident-miss-gop-convention-40480202

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If UT and A&M never play again I'm cool with that because the last memory they have is losing to the derpiest Texas QB in history, Case McCoy.

In other news, I guess Abbott wants legislation to make anything against law enforcement a hate crime and to start spoon-feeding literal propaganda to kids about the importance of law and order.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

On the radio yesterday they had some police union guy and he said he wanted to make resisting arrest a hate crime.

Some Houston area judge yesterday said he would strongly fight against reduced sentences or pleas that featured resisiting arrest on up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Didn't Alabama do the same then promptly close like half the offices in the state that you could get an ID at?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I missed seeing that game by one night

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

zoux posted:

This is why I don't think bathroom bills are going to be a big thing pushed this session:

https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/status/768494388737634304

otoh you're assuming a rational person is going to look at that poll and not think that now is to double down on conservative craziness

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Texas is a perfect breeding ground for this with all the 'gently caress the government', 'gently caress intellectuals' and 'its my baby aint nobody know better' poo poo going around

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Sent my mother that Houston Chronicle article, she is a 3rd grade teacher at a very lovely school.

quote:

Excellent article. I believe it. It takes forever to get a student tested. They don't get the help they need and the rest of the students suffer because they need too much teacher time. Our hands are tied. Then we hire idiot people like ------- and associates that say that sped kids need to be in the regular classroom and that we have too many sped teachers and aides. Morons.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Municipal government is the go to for middling business people to play global entrepreneur but with someone else's money.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The overtime lawsuit is basically Red States v Obama

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/mkarolian/status/785961405543436288

I foresee good things for relations between SAPD and the community

Make America Gringo Again!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

e_angst posted:

Remember, the last time Texas elected a liberal woman (the Sainted Ann Richards), it was because the arrogant rear end in a top hat she was running against made rape jokes in public. Texas women are far less likely to put up with that poo poo.

word is dear Clayton is losing his marbles and running his companies into the ground because he keeps meddling in day to day operations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There's plenty of people in Texas who will never vote for Hillary, but might be tilted enough to vote for Johnson. Enough to make Trump's showing in Texas to look really, really bad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I voted in my white flight suburb at 8am Tuesday and there was no one else there! Shocking!

They were all lined up outside a private school in SUVs to drop Hayden and Kayden off

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 27, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah. Allandale went to Obama by 30 points.

Old white Austinites are solid democrats as long as you don't ask them to make any sacrifices like possibly not being able to park directly in from of their house.

the MY PROPERTY VALUES crowd

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Aliquid posted:

Are we? This is Jeb's child.

Backlash against the Bush family is pretty high right now due to not supporting the Great American Cheeto, but I have no doubt that in 8 years or whatever when P runs all will be forgiven.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Demographics make them long term losers but the question is just how bad can the Texas GOP make the state before the tide turns. I can't imagine the shitshow we'd have if Straus wasn't House Speaker.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Still haven't passed a Prop 13 so they're still better than the California GOP.

Thank God they're stuck on bathrooms and border security for the forseeable future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
you know just driving around the past few days in my whitey mcwhiteperson city I see very few Trump signs. this is a place that you couldnt go 50 feet without seeing W, McCain or Romney signs. i know Trump will win Texas but goddamn I'm going to be very curious to see how much closer it is than 2012.