Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

It's even more stupid - if they had spent all of five seconds on google they would have discovered that Austin has 4+ other TNCs operating here that are just as functional as Uber/Lyft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gas panic seems to be hitting a peak in Austin, there is a 20-car line out the driveway of the mom and pop station by my house.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Texas Speaker Jonathan Stickland.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to see Ted Cruz try livestreaming himself ordering a breakfast bore-rito from Torchy's.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Joaquin ate all his brother's charisma when they were in the womb.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imagine spending 8 years in the leg as a republican and only getting a single bill passed. How much of a wad you'd have to be.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I cannot fathom why anyone would watch a 10 person Democratic debate in June 2019. Anyone here not made up their minds already?

My friends invited me to a watch party for tonight's, what the gently caress is wrong with you

These are probably the same type of people who’d buy paperback copies of the Mueller report. Some people just have nothing else going on in their lives and get way too into watching Rachel Maddow.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Each blade of grass is a dead troop

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember one time many years ago Wikipedia had the aggie marching band as their article of the day. It had obviously been written by aggies, because it was a piece of hagiography that included the line "the turns the band makes are so precise, that computer models have declared them to be physically impossible."

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

if i walk on the grass do i just get yelled at or do i get physically attacked

You will be chased with swords.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I find the dumb way Matthew McConaughey raises his horns to be infinitely more offensive than the horns down.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess RGA has branched out from heckling DSA meetings.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

Wait what do they mean several months? Does HEB have some kind of secret intel we dont? :tinfoil:

It probably just means someone in the main office said "hey we should keep an eye on this" back in December or January. I'm sure they've been stocking up since it's spread out of China, though.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What if it's tex-mex served in Brooklyn?

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I work at UT, and we had massive waves of layoffs following legislative sessions from 2008 up through 2012. My department is staffed at 40% the level it was 12 years ago, and there’s no way we can lay-off someone without severely disrupting operations. State agencies are understaffed across the board, and I just can’t fathom how even small reductions wouldn’t entirely break the state. Even if 20% isn’t the real number, they’re going to go back to the salary trimming well to try to balance the budget, and it’s going to be a disaster. It’s not going to be trimming fat this time, it will be amputating limbs.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

I mean at what point do state agencies push back and say there's nothing left to cut?

They will, but they have no real leverage. Slashing salaries is the easiest way for them to balance the budget, and most ideologically compatible for the republicans. I have no faith that the legislature won’t just head home to their car dealerships and pat themselves on the back for balancing the budget. Consequences don’t become apparent until long after they’ve headed home.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

Most Texas state agencies already pay well below market wages, at least for professional, technical, scientific, and legal positions. And when you look at the salary history for state employees by legislative session, it's been a disaster since 1994--most sessions did not provide a cost of living increase, and on the rare occasions when they did, it was usually 1-3% spread over two years. Employee turnover is already high at current salaries; if there are cuts, employees will leave in droves. At least the ones with other options, or close to retirement. (Now, watch them cut funding for the ERS pension system...)

Which makes me wonder, for employees close to or eligible for retirement, it might be a good idea to put in your papers before the next Session is over and they do something like add ten years to retirement eligibility...

Yeah, I think ERS and TRS are going to be two major targets for the Leg. The retirement age for TRS has already been raised so high, any further additions to eligibility age will push it into the 70s. They'll probably target employee health benefits, too - I don't know what other state employees have, but UT System has premiums paid 100% by the system.

The way the last major round of cuts played out at UT involved some layoffs, but I'm guessing it was similar at other state agencies - a lot of cuts came in the form of not rehiring for a lot of vacancies and combining positions. The university is already so dysfunctional because of employee turnover (largely due to low pay), so I can only imagine how bad it must be at other agencies. UT at least has other revenue streams in its budget beyond state funding (that's ~12% of the budget). Trying to repeat the 2008-2012 playbook is going to be a disaster when we end up with one guy in the state certifying plumbers and structural engineers. On the other hand, maybe they'll finally abolish TABC.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

They charge more money than god and have an endowment rivaled only by like, loving Harvard. How the hell are they strapped for cash jesus christ universities are a scam

Universities can generally only access the investment incomes from the endowment by law. Most of the endowment is tied up in stuff like endowed chairs, professorships, and fellowships. I think that's a lame excuse though, the law absolutely should be changed to allow universities to access the principle in times of crisis.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's lower than other schools, but not chump change. In-state tuition alone is ~$11k a year. 2 semesters in a dorm with a meal plan is a bit more than that as well.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Colt McCoy was born in New Mexico but his daddy put a box of red Texas clay under the delivery bed

I was born in Conroe because my folks lived in hospitalless Trinity at the time, in a house with a grave in the front yard

I was born in Massachusetts, but my uncles from Odessa dunked me in a bucket of West Texas dirt to "baptize" me a Texan.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

*That Texas history class was one of my favorite classes, because every lecture was just the professor telling a few crazy stories about Texas in a particular era. Like those settlers who couldn't get across the state fast enough. Or how LBJ bullshitted his way into a Silver Star by taking advantage of MacArthur's political instincts.

I suspect the real story behind his silver star is that he just showed MacArthur his dick.

Spacehams fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 27, 2020

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I demand the new school song be set to the tune of the Soviet national anthem

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

In an effort to curb that economic fallout, state leaders in May instructed certain agencies and higher education institutions to identify 5% in budget cuts for the current biennium. Those savings, which will reduce the projected shortfall, were not included in Hegar’s latest estimate, he said.

That may help soften the blow too. But the Lege is absolutely going to use this as an opportunity to poo poo on Austin and university budgets.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also I just this morning learned that France was the first and only nation to officially recognize the Republic of Texas, and there was even a Texas Embassy in Paris. I feel like someone funnier than me could make a really good movie out of this brief wonderful connection.

If you want to have the ultimate Austin bougie wedding, you have it at the French Legation building (it is quite nice, to be honest).

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Charles Get-Out posted:

I feel like this is roughly as grotesque as using standing plantations for weddings.

Excuse me while I book a night and sit back in the converted electric chair lounger.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

A while ago someone (I think zoux?) posted an article describing how Abbott came to power. The short version is that he views everything as a lawyer would: he is as vague and non-committal as possible, refuses to take any strong stance, which provides political cover in the form of plausible deniability. Up until this pandemic this strategy has worked great. Now though it's backfiring on him terribly.

Abbott is fumbling and inept, but he’s emblematic of a wider problem. There’s been some kind of selection pressure (or lack thereof?) for that quality at all levels that’s created an entire generation of leadership who’ve never had to deal with a real crisis, and are completely incapable of doing so.

I work at UT, and I see this dynamic in play with the various deans, department chairs, and vice provosts putting off decisions until the last minute possible, or sending long mealy-mouthed emails about preparations but devoid of actual content. It’s been immensely frustrating trying to make any plans when leadership won’t commit to any course of action or decision, because they could be criticized for it later.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/marisollebron/status/1291139213883330564

https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/1291033251100921858

One of my staff tested positive recently, and students haven't even arrived on campus yet. We've spent all our time this summer developing disinfecting procedures, sourcing PPE, marking out one-way movement in the hallways, reducing reducing class sizes, and figuring out how to handle potential exposures in our classes. Rather than spending the time developing good online courses, we're going through this song and dance ostensibly to get ready for a semester of reduced capacity in-person classes because no one in the university's leadership wants to make the very difficult, but right, decision to go online again this Fall.

Instead of making difficult decisions, the administration's plan is to place the onus on students' personal responsibility with rules like a 14-day self-quarantine or the totally enforceable rule of "no off-campus parties." When we have the inevitable uncontained outbreak on campus, they will be able to blame students' irresponsibility for the shutdown. In the meantime, staff and faculty will be dying.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot my favorite little absurdity of this whole thing, the upper administration has gotten increasingly more micromanagerial in bizarre ways. We're being actively discouraged from moving any other classes online - we now have to get approval from our dean and the Provost to move any class online.

Spacehams fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 6, 2020

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing to me that with how large trucks have gotten in the past 20 years, they have felt increasingly cramped inside. My car in high school and most of college (so until ~2011) was my uncle's farm truck, a 1991 Silverado 1500. I still miss that truck, it was absolutely roomy inside. Parallel parking downtown sucked, though. A good friend of mine works in the oil industry drives a 2016 Silverado 1500, and it fees like a sardine can inside by comparison.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Beans and toast, wrapped in a mission flour tortilla.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/dailytarheel/status/1295452926362746885?s=21

What are the unis doing in-person here, and when do they start

UT and A&M are both doing 15-25% of classes in person, and will have students living in dorms. Not sure about Tech or UH. UT starts classes next Wednesday, August 26, and students are probably already showing up to campus.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m sure UT will be different

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think a big part of it is housing and dining contracts. They pull in a lot of revenue for universities. I did a little napkin math talking about this with a coworker, and I figure UT is probably losing out on about $40 million at its current half capacity in the dorms (from weak demand, not restricting to half capacity).

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

what percent of the endowment is that

1%

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

This is a big reason for it, but football is a factor too, for schools like ND and UT. If they go full online classes and close the dorms, they can’t tell football players that they have to stay on campus while everyone else goes home, not without giving up the lie about amateurism and putting the current structure of college athletics in jeopardy.

Clearly it’s time for NCAA-sanctioned esports.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fray posted:

If nothing else, a split legislature will hamstring GOP efforts to overturn city ordinances.

The most major implication will be for redistricting. A split Leg will ensure the GOP won't be able to do the insane gerrymandering they did in 2010.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought UT's plan on shutting down in-person classes was still "we need a student's dead body before we can think about it." This partial in-person/remote thing just means everybody still has to go through all the effort to get to campus for that one class that's in-person until this one person--whoever they end up being--falls over dead from Covid19. Then they can blame the students for being irresponsible.

That might be the stated trigger, but their actual plan is "wait until peer institutions do something, and do what they do." If the admin sees more big R1 state schools shut down, they will do the same. Absolutely craven leadership.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator posted:

Had one guy not wear a mask today but just because he forgot - he went and grabbed it.

Overall, campus experience wasn't bad, but I divided my classes up into smaller chunks and am in a smaller regional school.

Still dumb as hell that they are making it start in person either way.

Now let's check in with UT Austin:

Ah, great to see enforcement of university social distancing policy work out so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

:stonk:

Is that this week?

If so,

Texas about to bring it v Alabama.

Yep, reddit poster said they took it yesterday evening.

Shooting Blanks posted:

They never even talked about enforcement, last I heard. UT basically gave current and incoming students some guidelines and told everyone to be responsible.

There is supposedly enforcement, we'll see how much they actually do about this. They've said discipline for breaking social distancing guidelines by partying, etc, students can be punished with suspension for a semester. That's a hefty punishment normally reserved for repeat cheaters. This photo is spreading like wildfire on staff/faculty listservs and r/UTAustin, so it may embarrass the university into actually taking action against the Greek life for egregious violations like this.