Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Atahualpa posted:

(Incidentally, I'm curious: is pretty much everyone in this thread a city-dweller or is anyone else stuck out in a rural shithole like me?)

I'm in Austin, but I spent most of grade school and a few years after in the hill country.

Definitely seconding that Lamar/Burnet/Guadalupe need work. It'd take some of the heat off 35 and MoPac (not a ton), and really I shouldn't feel the need to check my tires after driving thru a major artery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Supporting the trip reports -

Williamson County shatters first-day early voting record

The number of Williamson County residents hitting the polls Monday for the first day of early voting has surpassed the number of people who voted the first day of early voting in the 2012 presidential election. The Williamson County Elections Department reported 14,705 people have voted as of 5 p.m. compared to a total turnout of 9,223 voters on the first day of early voting in November 2012.

“They eclipsed it about 1 p.m. today,” County Elections Administrator Christopher Davis said of the numbers. “It’s a record for the first day of early voting in Williamson County.”

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Logic Probed posted:

Voting +1 for Dread Abuela in Harris County.

I'm wondering if I accidentally nullified my vote because I chose the straight party option for Democratic, yet chose the Green Party option against a Republican (no Democratic option, I believe it was a State rep position). If I did, well crap.

You're good. In Texas, an individual choice will override a straight party vote without invalidating any/all of it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

+1 for the Dread Iron Nan in Austin. Voted at a fire station in the NW - the tiny parking lot was full, but the wait was brief. Saw more Clinton signs by a ratio of 4:1.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

On lake Creek parkway? I was surprised that was a polling location.

Yep! And same, it's a tiny building in a not great location. To their credit, the staff were chill and efficient.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Best reply that TX Republicans have is "you voted for someone who curated their personal emails better than most".

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Taste of Ethiopia is amazing though.

Seconding this. Good any way you can get it, but it's amazing with friends/family.

For my bit on election night, I'm probably gonna kick it at home with some booze and slow cooked something-or-other, watching the coverage and checking SA a lot.

isk fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 7, 2016

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Self-nominating for Bum Steer, I see

isk
Oct 3, 2007

loving smoked.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

quote:

"I feel like Trump is spending a lot of time on defense and playing damage control and there aren't enough people giving him the benefit of the doubt," he said. "He's going to be president until 2020, so it's going to take some people sitting down and saying, 'OK, we need to work with this man to advance America's best interests because this is what we have right now.'"

Yes, just shut up and accept the racist, classist, climate denying, warmongering stupidity. These kids aren't ready for real civics yet - they still need to watch The West Wing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Aliquid posted:

They also held a joint victory party at The Dig on Cypress Creek next to city hall so the first lady may be alright too

That place was already my favorite in the area.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Seriously. gently caress this guy and his spineless incompetent bullshit.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It's perfect material for an attack ad, a physical demonstration that they're full of hot air

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

When I want hard hitting journalism, I'll pick up Teen Vogue.

Genuinely same

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The DPS is one of the few things that Texas has generally gotten right. I had to renew my license in person a couple years ago, and the office on Wells Branch in Austin was shockingly clean, modern, and efficient. Friendly help everywhere, ETAs on the LED screens all over the walls, maybe 10 minutes of paperwork including the eye "exam" (almost could've passed it without my glasses).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

He sure seems like a true believer to me, not sure if this theory has any legs.

oh my god

isk
Oct 3, 2007

"Dan Patrick admits that education is the enemy of fascism, but let's talk about Seth Rich." -Texas conservatives

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Ohhhhh, so the statues erected during Jim Crow weren't symbols of oppression - they were signs of solidarity from enlightened Southerners. My bad!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

zoux posted:

I can't find it now but yesterday I saw a map of Houston comparing ground impermeability from 1990 to 2016 and it was staggering.

I gotchu

https://twitter.com/emilymbadger/status/902640348433866752

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Lived in DFW as a kid, and I was shocked, SHOCKED, to return as an adult to see the Central Expressway was still under construction.

Houston's rad. Hot as hell and the traffic blows, but the population is friendly and fairly diverse.

Agreed that Austin's liberal reputation is a bit overstated. Gentrification has been a rising issue for the last decade or so.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Nah, it's meat stew and it owns

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Also, Gil's Broiler. Ate hundreds of Manske rolls in college.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Nthing libraries as community centers. I worked in a university library (open to the public) and it's remarkable how many visitors go to the library when they need answers on, well, anything. Google's changed that somewhat, but there's still a shitton of people who either lack the ability or the confidence to use it. Also, sometimes it just feels better to get an answer from a live, present person.

isk fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 25, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

oh god oh god please be so

This turd has been the representative of my hometown district since I can remember.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

zoux posted:

I have updated my post but also the guy you're gonna get is gonna be way worse.

Quite possibly. I no longer live there but my parents and a fair portion of old schoolmates still do. That area is poison dressed up with chicken baskets and general stores.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Getting a similar vibe on my mom's Facebook profile about Bergdahl. I'm explaining desertion to a bunch of bumper sticker patriots.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Yep! After last year they read it as (((UN)))

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Cool poo poo about Shipp

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

More cool poo poo

Thanks for this. Hansen's dropped some bombs this past year (and maybe even before that).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It stopped snowing in Austin and the accumulation is already starting to melt

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Posted in CSPAM as well - I was already on the Beto bus, but I'm probably going to volunteer for GOTV on election day.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

He's a legit good dude. I met him on a couple occasions at political events when I was living in El Paso. He is very personable and down to earth. He ticks all the right boxes with no real negatives. Plus coming from El Paso I think he'll have a better understanding of what needs to be done to get out the vote in latino communities, which is a huge impediment to winning statewide.

Yep! My main concern with him is the aforementioned name recognition (which comes from not being super loud atm), but he's relatively young and his positions on the issues are solid. He's got my vote so far, and I think he's got a fair chance considering the GOP is doubling down on stupidity. poo poo, my parents have said & done nearly fuckall about politics this year, and part of that comes from shame.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

"shall never surrender" -> phonebanking for Trump

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Yep! Austin is basically this, but also for race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyC_NKEz62A

isk
Oct 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Oh come there has to be at least one more.

So now that we've got a dozen people running for governor I was thinking one of them might be worth voting for in the primary rather than voting for the least-worst Republican on their ballot. Do any of yall know anything about Tom Wakely, he seems almost good?
http://politics.blog.mystatesman.com/2017/10/16/berniecrat-with-a-panama-hat-tom-wakely-launches-campaign-against-neofascist-greg-abbott/
http://www.texansfortom.com/economic_populist_for_a_change

Apparently he ran against my former rep Lamar "gently caress your internet" Smith in 2016 and lost less horribly than every other Democrat who tried for that seat which by Texas Democrat standards is political genius.

That's reasonably impressive. I went to school in the area - it's full of backwards morons.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Comrayn posted:

Going to the congressional district 2 dem primary candidates forum tonight. From what I can gather on their websites and social media Todd Litton is the most well connected guy so I assume it’s his to lose. His repeated call for a return to “common sense and common decency” makes me think he is a super boring middle of the roader who will get crushed by whoever the republicans put up. I guess I’ll find out tonight.

Presuming it's still in progress but posting for when you get back - how'd it go?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It never escalated to weapons when I was there, and as far as I'm aware there wasn't any sexual abuse from the coaches, but we had some hosed up bullies in my small hill country school. During the bus ride to a road game, some jackasses held down one of the underclassmen and rubbed Ben-Gay on his dick. On top of the threat of a beating for being a rat, the whole team would have to run a few miles after the game if anyone was loud for any reason.

isk fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 18, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

zoux posted:

I mean, y'all know about Vidor right.

I feel like (while we have major racial problems in Texas) we're not as bad on the whole as the traditional deep south because we didn't have the same entrenchment of plantation culture like they did in Mississippi or Alabama. But there are parts of East and Southeast Texas even today that might as well be run by Bull Connor.

This. Whenever I road trip to New Orleans, I ensure I have no reason to stop in Vidor (and I'm a white dude who grew up in Texas).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The one takeaway I see is affirmation that people with lovely beliefs can live next door and generally get along with you - and even do some good - as long as certain subjects never come up. Paul Nehlen isn't less of a racist because he's not torching mosques every night, and the Austin mailbomber (which I can speak about on some level because I live here) reportedly did some okay things in his life before he terrorized a city. Evil shouldn't be normalized and it shouldn't lead to paranoia, but it's important to accept that it can be in ostensibly unlikely people who don't twirl their mustache.

If I'd worked with him for years and had witnessed him generally doing good things, I'd be a little less hostile in confronting him. I'd also be furious with him and would be wondering if I had missed something in the daily grind (possible I didn't, but worth an inventory).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I want to kick that statue in the balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

That's right up there with sea levels rising because of too many rocks. There is a specific kind of foolish reductiveness that some never grow out of.