Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Zil posted:

Well uber did get hosed in Europe in that they were classified as a taxi company and not a tech one.

How is this getting hosed rather than an accurate description?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If you want queso on your salad, you never wanted salad in the first place. Just stop lying to yourself.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

It's kind of silly but it's better than them not protesting at all I guess

Yeah I think it's really stupid but at least they're protesting. All of the pop culture reference Harry Potter, Star Wars, hand maidens etc garbage needs to end. Feeds right into what opponents say about democrats/liberals. If it makes me roll my eyes when I agree with the cause I can't imagine it's helping with anyone skeptical.

While I'm ranting, "hey hey ho ho" chants also suck. Listen to me, a white guy sitting comfortably at work, protestors.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
You're obviously right that election work is where the real impact is made but I do think raising a huge stink about terrible bills like this one can work. If no one was upset these would just glide through and every republican rep would have headed home to get a pat on the back from their base and prepare the next absurd bill to gently caress over the scapegoat du jour.

If no one brought attention why wouldn't the republicans currently against it have just just shrugged and rubber stamped the bill so they can move on to something more important?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I will run for governor tell the democrat party to get in touch.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Our schools are too afraid to discuss the science of phrenology.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidMDrucker/status/925424895776972801

In 2016 he got 80% of the vote against a libertarian so don't get your hopes up.

Jeb!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I don’t know how you can try to pass prop 4 off as anything but the “give us 45 days to shut down planned parenthood/gently caress over lgbt/do whatever other thing that’s obviously illegal but popular with republican primary voters” law.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

I like that Obama and Mueller are on here twice and there’s no direct link between Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

This was the free space on the bingo cards.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Lote posted:

It snowed 10” in Dallas and Houston 4 years ago. I went to work and staying like an idiot and had to drive back.

I sure as hell don’t remember ten inches of snow in Houston in 2013.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I looked up who is registered to run in my state districts on the Secretary of State site and they both list gmail addresses. I don’t know seems like you’re not really a serious candidate if you can’t be bothered to get a proper website and email to go with it.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Filing deadline was like yesterday, and everyone is about to piss off until the 2nd of January. I wouldn't judge them so harshly yet.

That’s true. It just gave me a bad initial feeling, hopefully they get things organized in the next month or so.

The good new is tx02 has several candidates running for Ted Poe’s seat.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Ted Cruz, annoying twitter rear end in a top hat

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/941489723901665280

These mutants are betting Americans are too loving stupid to remember youtube videos loading ten times slower than the ads before them because their ISP was throttling the traffic and they are correct to do so.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Going to the congressional district 2 dem primary candidates forum tonight. From what I can gather on their websites and social media Todd Litton is the most well connected guy so I assume it’s his to lose. His repeated call for a return to “common sense and common decency” makes me think he is a super boring middle of the roader who will get crushed by whoever the republicans put up. I guess I’ll find out tonight.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

isk posted:

Presuming it's still in progress but posting for when you get back - how'd it go?

I liked what I saw. It's kind of strange when five candidates are all trying to find better ways to say the same things on most of the questions/issues because when they do seem to break away a little it's not clear if that guy just didn't think to say something for a particular question or if they genuinely have different positions on it. I wish I had written some things down so I could be more specific. I didn't dislike any of them but I do have my favorites and you can tell some of them are better at this. Everyone was very against citizens united, for campaign finance reform, gerrymandering bad (just look at our district), called out the tax bill as a big scam, invest in green energy, pay gap, more stuff I can't think to list that everyone was basically in agreement on.

I spent some time at work this afternoon listening to interviews I found with a local progressive blog. I added links below.

In the order they were on the panel:

HP Parvizian - (no interview) - Business owner who my main takeaway was he could be a really good candidate with some more practice. He didn't seem quite as read up on policy and I kind of get the feeling he isn't spending as much time on his campaign as others. I think he stopped short of saying medicare for all and I can't remember what he said about legalizing weed when that came up but I want to say he was for it. On board with every other progressive point said a lot about maternity/paternity leave and putting a stop to harassment.

Ali Khorasani - interview - Young guy going for the run scientists angle. I think he was was pretty good on policy but he needs practice because he was never ready for the time limit. Houston DSA endorsed candidate I think. Medicare for all, legalize weed and pardon offenders, free college, full on lefty stuff. Also the only guy willing to say "I don't like guns" in Texas.

Silky Malik - interview - I thought she killed it. I was worried what she would be like based on how shaky she seemed in her interview but she was great. A lot of passion, well spoken, seemed to know what she was talking about. Grassroots campaign all that good stuff Bernie style, won't take PAC/corporate money but well I doubt that's been an issue for an unknown.

Darnell Jones - interview - He was really good too. I thought he would be more conservative/boring dem riding the military angle but he specifically called out of control military spending saying it is not being spent on the guys on the ground like people like the paint it.

Todd Litton - interview - Mostly who I thought he was. Not a career politician but involved for a long time, call for common sense and decency, definitely well connected and prepared. Campaigning the longest, had a million endorsements from different organizations. He was also by far the most comfortable in this position, seemed like a natural politician. He works in non-profit and his issue that stood out to me was advocating pre-K education, which is his non-profit experience. I don't hate him but think he would probably be another dem who caves on everything and tries to find middle ground. Definitely the least progressive guy on the stage unless I misread Parvizian.

For me it's between Silky Malik and Darnell Jones I would love to see either of them win it. They both came off as strong progressive candidates. HP Parvizian and Ali Khorasani didn't seem as 100% candidate ready to me but they both seemed like cool guys. Because life is terrible the progressive votes will split and Todd Litton will run away with the nomination, fail to get anyone excited about the race, and get destroyed by whatever sludge wins the republican primary.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

dalstrs posted:

Is there a good resource that shows what the different upcoming primary candidates believe in?

I think the league of women voters guide should be out soon. They said mid February, at least in Houston anyway.

texas tribune has a list of candidates.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Frijolero posted:

:siren: Beto voted for the budget, abandoned DACA :siren:

Beto and a poo poo ton of other Dems voted for the budget bill. They probably don't want to be billed as the guys who shutdown the government, but they're also spineless motherfuckers who gave billions to the Pentagon and abandoned DACA recipients.

I retract all the positive poo poo I've said about Beto. gently caress him.

I really don’t understand the reasoning dems have for doing these things. They are going to kill all the enthusiasm voters had for kicking out republicans by the time November rolls around.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

zoux posted:

The reasoning was reauth for CHIP, PR aid, rural internet expansion, community health clinics etc.

And giving up something they have said is a must have and put on a huge spectacle about that same day. It plays into the attitude that most people have that voting doesn’t matter because none of these assholes will actually do what they say.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

zoux posted:

Nor will people remember all this process poo poo around DACA

They will absolutely remember dems grandstanding about dreamers and promptly ditching them. No one will remember what they got in exchange.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I've started getting mailers mostly for congress (TX-02) and all republican. For whatever reason they are all addressed to me and none to my wife. I guess because she only voted in the 2016 general and I have voted in the stupid little ones of the past year like school board? Neither of us are registered to a party.

Every single day I have a new one from Kathaleen Wall and about half of them are about supporting our wonderful president and his agenda. the others are standard republican stuff second amendment, repeal obamacare, pro-life, all that crap. Apparently she has like ten times more money in her campaign as any of the other candidates and has been saturating the market with TV commercials, but I either just don't watch enough to see them or more likely the TV sales areas don't line up with our crazy district and since I'm kind of on the edge they don't reach me. I would be pretty surprised to get anything from the democrat candidates because my neighborhood is solidly in the red suburb part of the district meant to drown out Montrose.

She walked out of a forum last week before any questions had been asked and you can see some of the other candidates roast her after she left in this video. Her main competition is Kevin Roberts, and he also didn't show up, but said in advance he wouldn't and sent a prerecorded message which is still pretty lame poo poo but it's better than ditching right before it really starts. I've seen a couple yard signs near my house for him but nothing for any of the others. To be fair though my neighborhood is TX-02 but other nearby neighborhoods aren't and I don't go through the bigger areas of the district which are suburbs on the north and northwest side of Houston so I can't really give an accurate take on it.

The other candidates are painting the situation as her trying to buy the seat and it seems like there's some truth to it. Wall and her husband gave over $1,000,000 to candidates and advocacy groups mostly here in Houston during the last election and I'm sure that didn't hurt in getting her the endorsement from Abbott, Cruz, and some others. Her husband Holly Frost, according to the most reliable source: a reddit comment, is a tech CEO who had a sexual harassment suit against him in 2007 that he settled out of court. I did some light googling to try to find it but all I saw was a crazy rear end conspiracy blog reporting on it and their links to the original article were all broken.

Apparently there is a democrat candidate forum going on RIGHT NOW AS I AM TYPING THIS and I didn't hear about it or look up when the next one was happening until just now so I'm missing it. I'm kind of pissed about it because I still don't know who I should vote for between Darnell Jones and Silky Malik since nothing has really happened since the forum I attended.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I would be absolutely shocked to find someone knocking on my door for a political candidate but like I said before I am in a weird area of my extremely normally shaped district that is not really a focus for either party (but should go reliably red). The only vaguely political thing someone has knocked on my door for in the three years I have lived here was some college aged girl trying to get signatures for a petition to get Walmart or something to stop selling products with "toxic chemicals" and I have always hated the idea of people bugging me at home.

That said, I would honestly be kind of impressed by any candidate running block walks in my neighborhood.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Aliquid posted:

she got a cool name but sounds lame

she doesn't have an issues section and is pretty vague about UHC and DACA.

She brought up both of these at the last forum and wants Medicare for all and citizenship. All of their websites are generic and lame but the two I mentioned were not generic when asked questions which is why I like them.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
League of Women Voters Houston put out their voter guide for the primaries.

Beto didn’t respond for whatever reason.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Looks like things are getting dicey in the republican TX-02 race. The other front runner put up a helpful website on Kathaleen Wall.

I got another mailer from her yesterday where she is holding a shotgun on one side and an AR-15 on the other. Someone on reddit said an ad of her shooting the rifle ran during the local news coverage of yesterday’s shooting last night :discourse:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Houston ISD is in a similar situation of being “property rich” but full of poor schools.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Seriously for whom should I vote for governor in the Democratic primary?

I’m voting for Tom Wakely but I don’t know if he has any real shot.

I haven’t voted yet because I still need to do my homework on other statewide candidates like lt governor and railroad commissioner. If anyone has strong thoughts on them I’d like to hear it.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Stefano de Stefano is answering questions on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/7zonp3/im_stefano_de_stefano_i_am_running_to_retire_ted/

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

yellowyams posted:

Just briefly skimmed the LWV guide, why is Sema Hernandez the only Dem candidate running for senator that bothered to respond? I'm pretty unhappy with Beto's voting history and lovely absences and her responses all sound pretty much what I want from a representative, so is there any reason I shouldn't vote for her instead? Checking her social media she seems to engage in a lot of the left vs. center slap-fights which I'm not exactly thrilled about but I'd still gladly take that over a candidate I can't rely on to vote progressive or even show up to important votes.

She thinks Hillary Clinton had Seth rich killed.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Well republicans went that route and now they got taken over by infowars listeners.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

So is anyone supporting our endless murder machine overseas, but they get to serve. So is anyone who stands by and lets Trump round up a million people, so when Beto voted for his budget welp the conspiracy truther might be crazy in her own way but her beliefs are less harmful than that.

I disagree that bad policy is the same as believing the earth is flat or Pepsi is flavored with aborted fetuses or whatever.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

The myths that the political establishment believes in are no better supported but are more harmful.

I'd like a not-crazy choice but since I didn't get one, I had to decide whether "a grandma iced a guy and everyone covered it up" is more or less harmful than ":decorum: is more important than ICE agents rounding up a million people", and I've already early voted so the decision is made.

There is no one out there who only believes in one stupid conspiracy theory. If you are dumb enough to fall for one you are dumb enough to fall for more and they are only harmless dumb beliefs as long as the person who holds them is harmless.

I’m sick of business as usual why can’t we all get along bullshit while the right gets everything they want too but having elected officials who will sponsor state anti vaccination efforts is not an improvement. The guys who want to bomb all brown people and quietly bring back Jim Crow have just had more time in actual power to accomplish their damaging goals.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It’s primary eve and kathaleen wall sent me:

A full page size attack ad on one of her opponents printed on both sides

A full page size attack ad on another of her opponents printed on both sides

A mailer twice as big for herself which includes a small section in which she blames liberals for the Parkland shooting because they continue to ignore the real issue of mental health and just blame guns. This thing is so massive they had to fold it in half and it still barely fit in the mailbox. All of these are very high quality thick and glossy paper.

They ran a story on NPR about her today too and the insane amount of money she is pouring into this. Triple all of the other eight candidates combined. That probably still holds if you add in the five democrats.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Right she replied “justice for Seth Rich!” to a tweet calling for Clinton to be jailed or something like that. I’ll dig it up in a little while here.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Here you go

https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectSema4TX/status/864327923695800321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Having a hearty laugh at the early TX-02 results showing Kathaleen Wall pissing away $6 million of her own money just to lose the primary but that's cut short by Todd Litton aka Decorum: The Candidate winning the democrat primary. I got one final Kathaleen Wall mailer today a full page of Uncle Sam telling me true conservatives will vote for her or some bullshit.

What's the percent to avoid a runoff?

Oh this only one precinct on the Texas Tribune page but still.
https://apps.texastribune.org/elections/2018/primary-election-results/
https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/texas-primary-election

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I voted early at the county elections office so I didn't get any lols. But my brother voted today at a church. Note the interior of the church was where the Republicans voted, while the Democrats were sent to some trailers on the church property. As he was walking a woman leaving the church, redirected toward the trailers, said "they're making us vote in the trailers!"

Apparently some nearby neighborhoods have different polling locations than me (mine are an elementary and middle school for D and R respectively) and the republican one is a funeral home. A bunch of suburban moms on Nextdoor were very upset about those dastardly democrats making them go to such a morbid location (sickos!). The omnipotent Texas Democratic Party strikes again.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It's been two hours and this Texas Tribune thing still shows only 1/159 precincts I'm calling voter fraud

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Kathaleen Wall missed the run off by 145 votes. Whole lot of money pissed away for nothing and yet another Abbott endorsement who flopped.

That is my only bright spot from last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
“It’s all out of state liberals” seems to be the go to republican talking point on Beto’s fundraising once you point out he has not in fact taken a bunch of Soros money since it’s all small donor. I haven’t seen anything to back to it up.