Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

they believe that if we allow gay marriage then God will react at best by withdrawing his blessing from America and at worst literally rain fire and brimstone down on us ala Sodom and Gomorrah.

What the rest of us would call climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Sardonik posted:

This Jade Helm 15 paranoia stuff is the stupidest poo poo ever.

This is a military training exercise. Whatever happened to "SUPPORT ARE TROOPS"?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Turnout really is poo poo, though. The runoff for Brownsville mayor was last Saturday (with early voting all week), and less than 8,000 people voted out of a city of 181,000 people.

Also, expect shitloads of conservative money to swarm all around San Antonio now. If there's a whiff that SA or Bexar County can go red, there will be enough money to put a plan into action.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

jaegerx posted:

For lack of a general Texas thread. What's the deal with car inspections now? Mine just expired and I'm hearing even if I get inspected I won't get a sticker so it makes no point until my registration is up.

In fact the inspection has to be within 90 days of the registration expiration so even if you get an inspection now, you'll have to get another one right around when your registration expires.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

That didn't take long.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

3) Austin wins the award for me of the city full of stuff that white people like.

A recent article in Texas Monthly about the housing situation in SA/Austin/Dallas/Houston made the exact same joke.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

It's still my go-to bathroom reader. It only gets really obnoxious when they do the annual superlawyer bullshit and there's 150 pages of law firm ads.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Reik posted:

"In 2008, Strickland, using the same username as the marijuana posts, wrote, "Rape is non existent (sic) in marriage, take what you want my friend!""

Why is that not the focus of the article, not the fact that the guy smokes weed.

Because conservatives would agree with the idea that women submit (and therefore consent) to their husbands when they get married.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Once again, this loving dweeb is going to be the US Rep for this loving gerrymandered district.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

How many abortions have occurred since then in places where they don't track statistics?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Now show the abortion rates for states surrounding Texas

Not sure you're going to find consistent data for Matamoros, Reynosa, and Juarez.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Crystal City is a great example of what happens when you drop a sleepy little dying town into the middle of the Eagle Ford shale. There's shitloads of money flying around there, and when you ask people who've had no money ever to choose between money and no money, the answers will be very obvious.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Did they ask him if he'd run if Cruz was the prime minister of France? How about if he was the latest Teletubbie?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Nice to see that the traditional conservative mantra "Government closest to the people governs best" getting turned on its head when lobbying gets involved.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Dameius posted:

Yeah should be 07-19 every day of early voting.

In Nueces County, it's 8am-5pm this week and 7am-7pm next week. Check with your county clerk to get hours for where you are.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Got my early voting out of the way today, and got to the polling place just in time. Right behind me was an entire busload of people from the nursing home down the street. No way that group all got through in less than an hour.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Not sure what the barf is for, they taste awesome. It's just cheerios and cocoa crisp mixed together, but it's cool and good.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

Bad name, but it's basically a commission to make sure schools teach about Slavery and segregation and not "the civil war was about States rights and the civil rights movement was just some dust up in the 60s"

Tell the lege it's a committee to reinstitute those things and it'll pass easily.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

If you don't know, schools receive money based on average daily attendance, which counts each day. So if your district has a snow day they don't make up, they get less money. I wonder if the state will grant a waiver in these situations, otherwise these districts are hosed.

The state education commissioner has already granted that waiver.

http://www.kristv.com/story/36250870/texas-education-commissioner-authorizes-missed-school-day-waivers

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Those are just waivers granted through the end of the week. But I'm pretty hopeful no district is going to lose PSF money over Harvey, I can't imagine state leadership being that cruel.

Even with the waiver, it's so hard to make up 20-30 instructional days. How are these schools going to perform on assessment testing? Are these kids going to be in school all next summer?

Some schools will be out for months, and the state is fully aware of this. No district is going to lose money because of hurricane recovery efforts.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/investigations/harvey-urban-planning/

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Right, this case is about whether it was a racial gerrymander and not just a political one, and if it's permissible if a political gerrymander just happens to be racial in effect.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Looks like they are going to do a special election for Farenthold's seat
https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/987326287499980801

Should give us a better idea what the voting landscape looks like in the state

This doesn't make any sense at all. This is one of the districts that was gerrymandered with discriminatory intent and should be redrawn. The primaries for Rep. Shithead's replacement have already occurred, although the GOP runoff between Racist A and Racist B hasn't happened yet. Now Abbott is going to step in and order a special election between June and November for, what purpose exactly? To figure out exactly which racist can fundraise nationally better?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

So Racist A and Racist B are going to have a runoff on May 22, then presumably they'll both declare for the special election, so they can rehash that fight a month later (comedy option: they hold the special election on the same day as the primary runoff) and then another election in November, all three of which will get national press and money because no matter what Abbott says it'll still be Rep Duckfucker's old district, and he's still trying to dodge repaying his harassment settlement.

I can't wait to hear about how this race will be about fiscal responsibility.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They're popular because, like Apple and The Chive, they mass-distributed stupid vinyl stickers for idiots to put on their cars and pretend to be off-road outdoorsy types, and also give them free advertising.

They're popular because they're really loving good coolers. I can put ice in mine on Friday afternoon for a weekend camping trip and still have bits of ice Sunday night when I get back. It's easy to heft around, easy to clean, and makes for one less thing to worry about on trips.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You've got a Yeti sticker on your Jeep Compass, don't you?

No Yeti stickers on my Accord, sorry.

Marxalot posted:

Idk about the coolers but you can get offbrand vacuum tumblers for $10-20 all day long vs the yetis for $50

The Walmart knockoffs (Ozark Trail) are really good, and Walmart runs sales on them a bunch. Easy to get them for $7-$8 each. I keep hoping they'll come up with a reasonable knockoff of the large size cooler, but so far no dice.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The idea here isn't to somehow do your own triage or not to seek medical assistance entirely, the idea here is to identify and use in-network providers. Go through and make lists of hospitals, clinics, and doctors that are in your network, and don't see anyone else. There are very few times that you won't be conscious or otherwise able to say "hey go here instead of here". From the insurance companies' point of view, ideally patients would use network resources all the time. Now insurance companies are adding more financial incentives to get that to happen more often.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

thefncrow posted:

The TxDOT study throws all those principles out the window and basically says "It's been a while since we expanded these roads, so it's time to pave more highways and further disconnect these neighborhoods". And that's because TxDOT doesn't give a poo poo about what's good for the cities, it just cares about doling out construction money.

It's not TXDOT's job to give a poo poo about the cities, it's the cities' job to give a poo poo about the cities. Focus your anger at the right people. Cities have planning and development services divisions, and it's pretty easy to see which ones are captured by developers. Those cities should be avoided like the plague and allowed to die, but there is no justice. Getting angry at the people on the effect side of the equation instead of the cause side doesn't help much.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Even if they are not personally bigoted (this is rare though) , if they're a Republican, they support people at all levels of government who are, both in words and especially in actions. At best they're an accessory to racism, and they need to be held accountable to that just as much as the public bigots need to be.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

O'Rourke is from El Paso, he knows border politics. There's a machine in the Valley but like most Valley things it's poorly organized and constantly shifting. This isn't Chicago or Philly machine politics.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/toddgillman/status/1038495481918353409?s=21

1) I didn’t know that’s how we said Humble
2) how do you say Refugio? I thought I knew but now I’m not sure
3) gently caress off

Houston's a major city with multiple major sports teams. Even people from New York would know how to pronounce it (especially after the ALCS last year).

Refugio is pronounced ruf-E-ri-o because it was settled by illiterate whites. No one cares if you pronounce it correctly though.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I don’t think HOAs can’t stop signs. They can limit size, and how early they can be put out (90 days), and quantity (one per candidate) but they can’t stop people from putting them out

HOAs can harass people into doing all kinds of things. They're the perfect vehicle for passive aggressive petty tyrants.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Oh I'm aware. It's also fun to gently caress with those tyrants when the law is on your side though.

I mean, I hear you, but the statute has enough loopholes to drive a truck through. For just one example, grass is a plant material, so just jamming a sign down into your lawn could violate a covenant if some busybody wants to look close enough. And, of course, they always do. Power corrupts, and HOAs corrupt absolutely.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Wulfolme posted:

After all this bullshit with Kavanaugh, I may not vote for a national-level Democrat for a very long time. I'm certainly not going to vote for O'Rourke now. If he wins, I want no responsibility for it.

I probably still won't vote for Cruz. I still don't like Cruz.

You were never voting for Beto or any Democrat anyway, so nothing's really changed.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

RisqueBarber posted:

But last year he voted for allowing states to get waivers to allow insurers to raise premiums for people with pre-existing conditions. Guess he changed his mind.

He hasn't changed his mind. Introducing bills that will die instantly means nothing. His voting record is all that matters.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Someone running for President should probably have done something in their life that voters might recognize.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

Castro is mostly known to voters as a Rising Star and Potential Future Presidential Contender

Castro is mostly known to political junkies as a Rising Star and Potential Future Presidential Contender. Castro's mostly unknown to voters because he hasn't ever done poo poo.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Without exaggeration, there are at least 200 people I would vote for in a primary before I'd vote for Castro. Literally any former state or US office holder that can demonstrate they've done anything positive while in office elevates them over Castro. It's a ridiculous level of navel-gazing.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

In Nueces County, mine was touch screen. No wheels, just literally tapping the box of the person you want to vote for. I didn't vote straight ticket so I don't have any cool stories about the machine changing my vote, but I did spend a couple minutes on the review screen making sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Anybody asks me who I'm voting for, they get a face full of "gently caress off, Nazi".