Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Texas on the Brink is a report put out by the Texas Legislative Study Group, a caucus in the state legislature that appears to be primarily or entirely (probably entirely but I am not googling every name; all the ones I googled were Democrats) that shows the various ways in which Texas is hosed. Spoiler: it's a bunch!

Our Department of Transportation is so underbudget that it has converted some portions of our roads to gravel to save on maintenance fees, and I have heard that roads in areas with a lot of fracking are in absolutely terrible condition due to vehicle damage from heavy trucks. Anecdotally, living in Houston, I can say that while our highways are generally well maintained, with one notable exception, the surface streets are in pretty bad condition.

TXDoT's prime/only solution to increasing traffic problems throughout the state seem to be "build more roads" even though this doesn't work. For comparison's sake, noted progressive utopia Moscow -- the Russian one -- is attempting to solve it's horrendous traffic issue by massively expanding the metro, the bus system, and commuter rail, while plans for congestion pricing and other means of discouraging car travel are on the table. Good job Texas!

I know that John Culberson has hosed with plans to expand mass transit in Houston but I don't remember any of the details. I think he has blocked federal funding several times?

In good news, Houston recently passed a non-discrimination ordinance that applies to LGBT people :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

BGTX has called me at least a dozen times but somehow never, ever, ever have they caught me at a good time. I have received calls at work, while driving, at bars, at restaurants, at the grocery store, hanging out with friends, but not once have I been called at home. It's the weirdest thing, I might be cursed.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like it went good.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

PERRY: We disagree on a fundamental level. We don't even like the same memes!
OBAMA: I dunno Rick, can we both agree that Grumpy Cat is that real poo poo?
PERRY: I suppose so, Barack.
OBAMA: See, we have more in common than you thought.
PERRY, magnanimously: I suppose that's true.
OBAMA: Can I see you do Grumpy Cat?
PERRY: [does best impression of frowning grumpy cat]
OBAMA: [hysterical laughter]

and that's how we solved the border crisis.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

i graduated from a tiny at the time public magnet school and despite rounding out the top 5 overall i was not in the top 10% and thus was not afforded automatic admission to UT. luckily as a white guy i was still able to graduate from a good school and my life is p okay so i ain't mad about it.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Living one mile from my office has done wonders for my quality of life in the last six months, it is unbelievable. Everyone should be able to do that, or, ride a train or some poo poo. Commuting hours every day is soul crushing.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Every time I walk by the Kinky Friedman humidor in Specs I want to give it the finger.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Before I voted today I saw a pigeon with a broken wing sitting under a car waiting for the end. Probably an accurate omen for how the election will turn out :(

Harris County goons please vote for Kim Ogg for district attorney thank you in advance.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Q36. When thinking about your gubernatorial vote choice this year, which ONE of the following
issues is most important to you? [RANDOMIZE 1-12]
6. Ethics in government 8

What about ethics in games journalism? Will Dan Patrick and Greg Abbott tackle this.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

At least the ballot measure for road funding passed! Or is that secretly bad too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I voted for Spicybrown too because it's not like Alameel had a chance. Also, Spicybrown!