Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

lower oil and gas prices could mean for the next budget.

I'm going to assume lots of panicking, refusal to touch the rainy day fund, and yet more slashing of infrastructure while tossing out even more tax breaks to out of state businesses. Part of me misses the batshit crazy legislative session I lobbied with but the rest of me cowers in fear that these asshats keep getting elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

Hegar is painting a pretty rosy picture, saying that Texas is fine economically and that they need more data points, need to know what the supplemental approps/LARs are like before they can nail down an accurate forecast.

Has his hair caught on fire yet from all that?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

I'm not enough of an economist to say if he's wrong or not. My feeling is that any kind of economic crisis is more likely to be regional than statewide, and we still have $8 bn+ in the ESF. Whether we'll use that money remains to be seen, but I'll point out the biggest obstacle to using rainy day fund money was Rick Perry.

Good point; my kinfolk are out in west Texas so I suppose I have a more dismal view of the price of oil situation than other people. But that's still a huge budget shortfall that they're going to have to overcome, and I'm not sure how many tech jobs we'd have to import to be able to make up for it. I vaguely recall some of Abbott's positions on the ESF when the whole thing was going on and during the election, but I'm too lazy to look them up atm.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Zwabu posted:

Those of you who have lived in TX a long time, what do you think the endpoint of the wing-nut-ization of Texas politics is? IS there one?

In recent years it's gone from Rick Perry and KayBay to Abbott, Patrick, and Ted Cruz. It seems there is no end in sight. Will it take some huge collapse of the economy for a large portion of Texans to no longer revel in their identity as right wing trogs? Will the majority actually get sick of this at some point?

Mostly outbreeding the idiot hicks, really. And even with that you're going to run in to the issue where the districts are sliced and diced with the urban areas being a giant blue middle finger of frustration in the sea of rural red.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

Per Hegar today, the state has lost about 70k jobs across mining and production in oil and gas, it's added 100k non industry jobs in the same period.

Now those jobs aren't going to be spread evenly in the state, I doubt the Eagleford shale region is stacking tech jobs, but in terms of state budgeting, it's not as bad as you would think (if you believe the numbers)

Any mention of how much those non-industry jobs were from transplants? Semi-legit question, actually. Mostly so I can complain more about immigrants showing up here in Austin and driving my drat rent up.

Wonder what the hell they're going to be doing with all the hotels and shanties they built up during the boom out in Midland/Odessa.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

Not sure but I will tell you that Austin has experienced 15% yearly growth over the last five years and the next three fastest growing cities in the country grew at 5%.

I'm fully aware; it's also not just tech. There's been plenty of law school refugees from up north moving down here as well.

Hell, maybe one of these days I'll get off my butt and actually start going to some of these meetings. We could organize a candidate around the "hit 'em over the head with a hammer, throw 'em down a hole" for city council.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Numlock posted:

Rents are stupidly high in Houston right now and while I haven't done an exhaustive study the only places to rent I could find sub $950 a month were ghetto as hell slum holes.

Housing market is due to burst any time now, half the dam city has been laid off in the last 6 months so I have no idea who's still buying those 500k+ condos that were going up like kudzu in neighborhoods were it used be 50k houses.

Californians?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Badger of Basra posted:

So is Austin backing off TNC regulations because of a petition? I bet could get at least that many people to sign a pro-train petition!

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/01/council-stalls-mandatory-fingerprinting-for-tncs-adopts-voluntary-program-instead/

I'm sure the fact that the TNC petition having the backing of stuff like Uber and the like has absolutely nothing to do with why it's being listened to.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

Perry's indictment got dropped.

Color me surprised.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'll admit, the puckish part of me wants to go for a Trump vote instead of a Bernie or Clinton one just to see the GOP devour itself from within.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

They may not need any help there.

True. But i'm actually considering voting in the Republican primary for Trump here in Austin just to see if my one vote'll be enough to gently caress over Cruz. It's not like we're going to go blue in the general, so why not see about weakening the field everywhere else?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Welp. An unexpected vet trip after work means that I'll be voting Tuesday instead of today. This is gonna be hellish.

Still leaning towards throwing my vote away on Trump.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Oil! posted:

I would have no problem with voting for Donald Trump if he included deporting all of Austin his platform.

If he could build a wall around us to keep all of the California refugees out he'd have my vote.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, sounds like a feature, not a bug. Depending on your area, of course.

This.

You cab schlep your way in to any voting location, right?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

thatdarnedbob posted:

Only during early voting, and only inside the same county you're registered in. On election day, you have your assigned precinct, and in general these aren't the same as any early voting locations.

the VoteTravis website still says it's anywhere in the county for today. You can understand my confusion.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

45 minutes in line so far, woo.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

blue squares posted:

Hillary has won already dude

An hour and fifteen minutes.

And i had actually put in some research on the down ballot folks. So should have everyone else. Don't tell me you waited in line just to click the president vote and skimmed through the rest.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wulfolme posted:

I tried to, but I found no information online, no difference between the Republicans that got a spot in the printed voter guide besides where they used to work and why that makes them the best, and half the drat positions here are just an unopposed Republican anyway.

Reading over the Republican ballot proposal stuff while in line was a hoot.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

soupcan58 posted:

I'm curious but scared to know what they were.
Proposition 1:
Texas should replace the property tax system with an alternative other than an income tax and require voter approval to increase the overall tax burden.
Proposition 2:
Texas cities and counties should be required to comply with federal immigration laws or be penalized by loss of state funds.
Proposition 3:
Texas should prohibit governmental entities from collecting dues for labor unions through deductions from public employee paychecks.
Proposition 4:
Texas and its citizens should strongly assert 10th Amendment Rights guaranteed by the US Constitution which states “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

soupcan58 posted:

Wait, what? Last I saw, Sanders had taken Travis county.

Yeah, just went and checked. Sanders led by a hair over 4k votes. Not that it made a difference in the end, but still, I wasn't sure if I was just imagining things with that.

EDIT:

Well, at least that was at about the level of crazy I was expecting. I don't know how good or bad that is, though.

The five Democrat ones were just softball ones.

Anyone going to the precinct voting thing on the 16th? I kind of miss doing the Texas Two Step truth be told. Not sure why they moved it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Thermos H Christ posted:

Travis County GOP Chairman Rob Morrow is a gift that is going to keep on giving, I think.

What fresh unwashed hell is this?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Thermos H Christ posted:

There's a party across the aisle
And it's a party of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there
Are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

gently caress this green earth

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

We have always been at war with Eurasia.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/707953232652316672

Also if you work downtown take Friday off.

Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bring back whale oil.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

an iksar monk posted:

Also it does not help that our state constitution is a just a few paragraphs long with about 700 or so contradicting amendments stuck to it. Just a big,convoluted, byzantine mess that no wants to fix.

This is the same state government where one of our governors barricaded himself in his office to keep out the anti-carbetbagger mobs so we stapled on an amendment somewhere to give the real authority to the guy beneath him. And we've just rolled with it for a hundred plus years. We're basically that village from Fiddler on the Roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V2lxFWBqfI

TRADITION!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

blackguy32 posted:

So b apparently Austin is voting on uber fingerprinting? I guess they are intending on fooling people since it's obvious that uber won't leave Austin even if it does have to fingerprint, especially since Houston already requires it

gently caress Uber.

e_angst posted:

I've heard some of the Uber supporters try to claim that they really will leave like they are threatening, because "they left Midland and Galveston!"

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Badger of Basra posted:

It doesn't help that the ballot language is super confusing. I voted yesterday and I'm only 90% I voted the way I meant to.

That's a feature, not a bug.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I know this starts a long debate every time but what are the alternatives to Uber? When I'm traveling for work it's a life saver. I remember being in NYC standing out in the rain with a ton of translation equipment about 10 years ago and having no luck hailing a cab, when I called to try to get one to my location they said they only would take me to the airport. Sometimes it's not in the budget to have a car service especially when half of the work I'm doing involves non profits. The taxis sucked in New York City, a place known for having a ton of taxis. So any Texas city would benefit from the option of Uber, it's not like public transportation is great in our cities.

It's not banning Uber. There will be no Texas Rangers ruthlessly pursuing people giving other people a ride in their car. It's just requiring a loving background check before you can operate as an independent contractor. Don't buy in to the marketing/politicking.

Fuckers already ponied up a hundred million to settle a similar question elsewhere. They can spend a little more here.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I like one of the tweeted responses about how it would have been cheaper to just fingerprint everyone and be done with it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mitsuo posted:

Oh hey, discovered this thread as I sort through the literal dozen glossy mailers that Ridesharing PAC has sent to me since I last got my mail. Immediate instinct is to vote No.

Assuming I'm closer to a UKMT commie than a fart-huffing lolbertarian, is this the correct course of action c/d

gently caress. Uber.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Which one's the gently caress UBER option? No, right?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

gently caress UBER vote successfully cast, eagerly awaiting the final result.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Automatic Slim posted:

This is a likely scenario. Unless they just wait to come back with driverless autos. I wonder what kind of regulatory mine field that will be like?

That's my guess as well - hadn't Google and Uber partnered up on an initiative for that recently?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Badger of Basra posted:

Apparently there were fewer FOR votes than petition signatures lmao

Which just makes the whole "WAH WAH ONLY 5% OF THE CITY SPOKE WAAAAH NOT REALLY DEMOCRACY!" thing funnier.

Like, seriously. I thought everyone knew that if you pestered a Texan like they have been doing our default response is to go "no, gently caress off, gently caress you, gently caress everything you hold dear".

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Why yes I'm quite happy that I helped poo poo in the VC/Uber punchbowl why do you ask?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

VH4Ever posted:

The reasons are many and really if people are going to make glib comments without even lazily looking into the reasons Uber and Lyft were so needed here, maybe they should just save their breath and their efforts typing their precious thoughts up. The fact is services like these drop the instances of DUI, they add to a woefully inadequate public transportation and cab system, and for a city as known for drinking and partying as we are, it was an integral part of life here. This pissing match, as usual, gets us all nowhere and just covers everyone in piss.

But go on, show us how witty you are in criticizing us stupid Austinites.

What about an rear end in a top hat Austinite criticizing stupid Austinites? Is that still cool?

Because I'm glad that I helped poo poo in the VC punchbowl, and I'm enjoying the techbros not understanding that we see them as Martians showing up here attempting to terraform the city.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

VH4Ever posted:

Can someone please tell me what the gently caress this metaphor about Martians terraforming the city means? Maybe I'm just too dumb and it's flying over my head but can you humour me anyway and explain what the gently caress that means?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

litany of gulps posted:

This is the real issue, I think. Why is the cab system inadequate if there's such huge demand for cabs? Why has the cab system not grown to accommodate this demand? If the answer is "Uber and Lyft hijacked that growth," won't the obvious solution implement itself in the form of the existing cab companies that are willing to follow local rules expanding?

The cab situation basically boils down to "it's more profitable to ferry people to and from the airport or around the downtown area than it is to drive out to the other parts of the city", so they're picking and choosing their fares. Part of this could be solved by 1) putting in a spur from the metro out to the loving airport and 2) having the loving metro actually run regularly and not shut down once it starts to get dark. It's not inadequate, it's just that it's more expensive because it can be on account that you don't have someone basically committing insurance fraud driving around for pocket-change while lining the pockets of a company that keeps acting like it's a start-up when it's really a monopoly.

Or you could own a car like a functional adult. Or designate a DD if you're out and about with a group of friends. And pay THEM to drive you around.

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm glad all these people saying we need Uber because CapMetro is poo poo are going to start advocating for better public transport now!

If I understand properly, part of the city planning ideas behind the lovely parking downtown is to make people not want to/be able to drive downtown and thus increase demand for public transportation.

*EDIT*

VH4Ever posted:

Hah. OK, I caught myself. Not long, and the second I thought about it I got it. Touche. Not sure how Uber/Lyft fit in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2pGBv9Ly6A

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 9, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wikkheiser posted:

I love Uber & Lyft ... as a consumer.

But they badly misread Austin and seem to have treated it as "Austin!" in the imagination of Silicon Valley types who fly in once or twice a year to attend conferences. When in fact the city is undergoing an identity crisis with powerful local constituencies deeply uneasy about the changes the boom as wrought.

I no longer live in Austin fwiw.

I think that's a valid critique of it, speaking as an Austin native. You're seeing the hippies fight against the techies - why the gently caress should I support something that lines the pockets of a corporation, let alone one that spent over eight million on an issue? They should have spent that money on something better, like bribing politicians as God intended.

Badger of Basra posted:

That's correct but if you're going to do that you need to make it so people can use public transportation to get out of downtown at night, not just get into downtown during the early evening.

Oh I'm with you on that. Austin has a real NIMBY problem, but, again, I don't see why the solution to that is to fellate some outside company that's enforcing the gig-economy.

*EDIT*

VH4Ever posted:

Why does everyone assume regular users of Uber and Lyft don't own cars "like functional adults?" I own a car and I've used Uber more than once. Sometimes I would Uber to the airport from work when I was flying out of town on a work night, or to and from a shop when my car was being worked on and I couldn't wait for the courtesy shuttle. Or uh, the very real problem of just telling people to get DDs doesn't make it so, just like telling teenagers not to gently caress won't make it so. People will be idiots and drive drunk, and now even more of them will. That could affect my life, or yours, no matter how much you and folks like you want to ignore than. But please, keep accusing all Uber users of being entitled millennials without cars, it's so helpful to the issue at hand.

Speaking as an entitled millennial, you're part of the problem.

(But, seriously, proper public transportation to and from areas would also help cut down on drunk driving, but DWIs are also big business for the state. I could go in to more detail on that if you'd like.)

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

VH4Ever posted:

How do you immediately peg me as an entitled millennial? You don't even know me. I'm way too cynical to be confused with a Millennial. I just have a low tolerance for repeated bullshit in politics.

Oh, I can't say for certain whether you're an entitled Millennial or just a prick; I was speaking about myself being one.

And Texas might start giving a real poo poo about drunk driving if they weren't able to rake in a poo poo-ton of extra money every year for all the people with one on their record paying out the rear end in a top hat to be able to drive again. It's quite an inventive system.