Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
If you, my friends on the left, are unhappy, imagine how I feel as a rational conservative in this Tea Party, bat-poo poo-crazy, Fox News driven state... You all look at the faces of the Republican reps in the OP and despair, and so do I.

The political landscape in Texas is terrible. I can't stand Wendy Davis, both for some of what she supports and more for everything she's not, but I was hoping the Battleground Texas movement would at least get some traction to force conservative Texans back to the middle.

The team-sports mentality of partisan politics is exhausting to me anyway, but the disaster of this year's ballot is just depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

SirKibbles posted:

You're going to get a team sports mentality as long as you have first past the post and only two parties so get used to it I guess.

I can't call that an unrealistic viewpoint, since that's the reality we are faced with, but I can say that it doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in it. I choose not to "get used to it", instead I choose to disengage from the rhetoric. I can be a conservative that thinks a road to citizenship is smart and that the government should be out of the marriage business altogether, and, in point of fact, I am. I'm not playing for either "team", because neither one of them represents me.

And, in truth, neither party seems all that interested in "representing" anyone. They seem far more interested in making promises that put them in power so they can do what they want. I can recognize that's the case and has been for the entire history of republics without also knowing that we can do better, that at no point in history has technology put us in a position where the masses can be fully informed to make the truly best decision for themselves.

The Democrats lose the ability to have a specific vision for the country because they are the Big Tent party that wants what everyone in the nation wants, as long as those people aren't Republicans. Republicans have, in the past dozen years fully, passed over to crackpotdom and while the vision they present is a focused one, it's the focus of an impassioned lunatic who just gets angry when people call him on his insanity.

Being aware of the situation and settling for it are two different things, and the situation we're faced with is not one to which I choose to become accustomed, however little impact that has.