Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Badger of Basra posted:

Voted early today, no on all the amendments and yes on the Travis County courthouse bond.

Is this just a blanket no to our amendment process or do you have a legit gripe about having the land commissioner reside in Austin proper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
http://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/04/stickland-fights-strong-primary-challenge/

I've been surprised at how many yard signs I've seen in nearby neighborhoods that support Stick through all this (given his primary challenger is a well-liked local conservative). His post history at the fftoday forums seems to have been scrubbed (http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showuser=219), but is there any chance this guy had an account here considering he reached peak libertarian shithead at the same time as SA's surge? I already checked and the current username stick isn't him.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
So Muslim-hating Konni Burton (R-Colleyville) has taken the brave step of participating in a system that largely excludes access to the public while entertaining private interests via lobbying, and decides to formally cut off attempts for public sectors to use that same access.

http://tribtalk.org/2016/02/24/why-im-against-taxpayer-funded-lobbying/

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

blue squares posted:

Greg Abbot is such an embarrassment.

I reckon that Sid Miller is more of an embarassment. He causes much more self-harm through having a big mouth and idiots running his social media - and pretends there's nothing wrong with it. Other than that, I don't actually know if he's doing an acceptable job (though I vaguely recall something about returning fried food to school lunches).

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
To be fair to Ted, I can't think of a better way to cap off 9/11 memorials by erecting my own tower as well. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
My sympathies for Ennis ISD students.

Ennis ISD Starts Random Searches, Will Soon Require Clear Backpacks and Student IDs

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
What is the perfect gift for someone who shitposts on Facebook in a schoolboard election for a school district they don't actually live in if you're Empower Texans? Apparently it's a gun bearing the words "Torchbearer".

Fortunately this guy's candidates both lost, but congrats for trying.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I know signs don't vote but riding my bike in NE Tarrant county I have located ~30 Beto signs and so far I have seen exactly 1 Cruz sign and my wife located a 2nd one. These neighborhoods are in precincts that went 68/27, 69/26, 63/31, and 59/34 for Trump according to the NYTimes precinct map.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

SirKibbles posted:

...Booker is a senator from New Jersey he can't do anything but shill for finance....
Hey, take that back. He can also shill for pharma with the best of 'em.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Not only pulling up the ladder behind you, but dropping a coat hanger down in its place.

quote:

Anti-abortion conservative running for Texas Legislature shares story of her three abortions

AUSTIN — Lisa Luby Ryan, a conservative Dallas Republican running for the Texas Legislature, wants people to know the truth.

She opposes abortion, and she said she’ll always vote for life.

But from the time Ryan was a teenager through her 30s, she had three abortions. She’s not hiding them, though, and says they're part of her redemption story.

“I have a story, and I’m not proud of it, but it’s part of who I am,” she Ryan, 57.

Ryan, a businesswoman, wife and mother of two adult sons, is running against Democrat John Turner in House District 114, which encompasses North Dallas, Preston Hollow and Lake Highlands.

About nine years ago, she started touring the country and attending Christian conferences to talk about how faith turned around her life.

In on-camera interviews posted on websites like the Christian Broadcast Network and IamSecond.com, Ryan reveals that her father raped her for the first time when she was 6 years old and continued to rape her until she was 16.

I Am Second is a Christian ad campaign that tells the stories of people who say they transformed after they started “putting God first and living second.” Ryan’s interview on the site has been viewed more than 141,000 times in nine years.

“At the age of 6, when your father, the man you adore and you worship and you want to be noticed by, when he violates you like that, it distorts everything,” Ryan said in a video. “And yet as I got older, that’s how I knew to show a guy that you loved him was through a sexual relationship.”

Ryan said she never reported her father, so he never went to jail. In an interview with The Dallas Morning News, she said three years ago she reached out to him to offer forgiveness and the two have reconciled.

Her senior year of high school, she got pregnant for the first time. She said her mother packed her and her boyfriend into a car and took her to get an abortion.

Afterward, she said they went to get lunch and never discussed the matter again.

“It’s one thing to have guilt and shame about what you others have done to you,” she said in the video. “It’s another to have guilt and shame about the choices you’ve made in life.”

In her early 20s, Ryan got married and had two sons, Kyle and Casey. She was married to her first husband for about eight years until she left him for another man.

She revealed that’s when she had her second abortion.

“After I left the boys and their father for the other man, I got pregnant, and I couldn’t have that child because of all of the guilt and shame I already carried,” Ryan said in the video.

Eventually, she met Jay Ryan, her husband of 24 years. She secretly had her third abortion while they were dating.

Ryan first confessed that she had the abortions during Christian counseling sessions with a church confidant, which later gave her the courage to tell Jay.

“I had shared my secrets and everything I had with Jay,” she said. “There were no more lies, no more secrets. There was a new relationship.”

They married two and half years later, she said.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Spacebump posted:

I don't think it would be illegal to because it's illegal for them to be there.
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/right-of-way/campaign-signs.html

I assume txdot's reg only apply to state highways and roads and their rights of way.

Mesquite's ordinances says it's okay now that early voting has started, and it's some distance away from the actual polling place.

code:
Sign shall not be located in the public right-of-way or on other
public property, except on an election day or early voting days at
designated early voting locations. Such sign may be located at the
polling places within the specified proximity as permitted by State
election laws.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I bet everclear is a pretty handy firestarter for all the self-immolating we'll be doing when the networks call it for Cruz around 830pm.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

The Glumslinger posted:

I think this ahead of 2016 at this point in the day

Travis county total in 2016 was 103k and so this is a very close pace

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

VitalSigns posted:

Probably he is rich or thinks he will be, and therefore his perceived class interests align with the GOP and he doesn't expect them to go full fash such that his wealth no longer insulates him from the realities of bigotry.
If you live in NE tarrant county [Southlake] and want to participate in government or policy, they're the only show in town.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://medium.com/@BetoORourke/a-lot-of-big-trucks-rolling-down-pancake-blvd-and-there-arent-any-sidewalks-699ca6bc7ce8

quote:

A lot of big trucks rolling down Pancake Blvd and there aren’t any sidewalks. Gloomy early morning sky in Liberal Kansas. Snow melt on the side of the road where I’m running. I find a vacant lot to cut through to another street, also busy and without sidewalks. I finally get to a smaller road that goes past a mobile home park, then a small subdivision, and out into corn fields to my right and empty fields to my left.
:thunk:

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

zoux posted:

Seems like the iron isn't so hot for him anymore, the field is already choked with candidates, he'd be running in the Bernie lane anyway and there's no room for him there, like who is telling him that this is the year? There will be other presidential elections bro.
Would being an also-ran in the primary improve the chances of being a VP pick this cycle? Is there any reason to think he's lining up for that?

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Yikes
https://twitter.com/PhilJankowski/status/1098323734799224835

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Goings on with the teacher raise thing: https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1100064967846449152

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Friendship ended with Beto, now MJ Hegar is my best friend

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://twitter.com/andreazelinski/status/1101159508049567744

I assume this is running some interference to lift blame off Whitley while is confirmation vote comes up

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

No Safe Word posted:

add Huntsville if you also consider prison a college of sorts :v:

Nothing here is officially a school until it becomes bowl-eligible

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
The last time this douchebag introduced the bill he was placed "under protection"

quote:

State Rep. Tony Tinderholt, R-Arlington, has been placed under the protection of the Texas Department of Public Safety after getting death threats following his filing of a bill to criminalize abortion in Texas.
This is just all a game to him

Holy poo poo this guy is a clown

quote:

Tinderholt, 44 and in his fifth marriage, said in a published statement that he wants a judicial system that “respects the laws” and separation of powers, as if judges shouldn’t declare the Texas Legislature’s laws unconstitutional without prior permission from the Legislature.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://twitter.com/mjhegar/status/1120673830803005442

MJ Heger is in with Castro and a couple of others to see who will unseat Cornyn

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://twitter.com/kherman/status/1126170995985920006

Love to ignore basic question from the press on something that maybe people living in my state would love to hear more about the reasoning behind.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
so happy my tough-on-crime DA is going after the true crime lords

Traveling Grandmother Jailed for CBD Oil: 'I Slept on the Floor… Next to the Toilet'

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Badger of Basra posted:

This satire brought to you by the people who put Joe Biden in the lead for the nomination

At least there's some introspection happening as a result of that. https://boingboing.net/2019/05/17/onion-editor-regrets-portrayin.html

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://twitter.com/jessicashortall/status/1159135178733867009

this is par for the course for tarrant county republicans. living in the burbs like north richland hills in a bubble of fear

What did this one say? It's been deleted.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
City-wide debates over the best food are tiresome and meaningless - if you have enough resources to visit a number of restaurants so your own dining experiences approximate a distribution of restaurant ratings over the entire Houston/DFW/SA area, then you deserve :thermidor:

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

PostNouveau posted:

Wow I can't believe they moved the capitol to Marfa

Just a handout to steer traffic to that Prada store.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Shifty Pony posted:

Can anyone else back this up? I would think the traffic alone would make it awful.

The last time I went on gameday, Peter Gardere was in the game, but i do remember it being 3+ hours of blissffully short lines for the rides and stuff until the game was over.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Are there any reliable deep dives into why the constitutional amendments came to be? Seems odd we took nearly 30 years to have a specific tax levied actually allocated to the entities intended to receive it (prop 5), but why the hell are we exempting gold from ad valorum taxation if it's stored in certain locations (prop 9)? Who is that a favor for?

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Keeshhound posted:

Because their position is that those proposals should not be constitutional amendments.

Like, regardless of someone's position on the issues, a key part of putting amendments on the ballot is asking "should this be a part of the state constitution?" and "no" is a perfectly valid answer to that question.

But i don't think it is a valid question, because there is constitutional language that prevents these items from working as non-amendment laws because they violate a section about Texas state debt. By not doing it this way (via constitutional amendments), the law would basically be DOA because the most rudimentary challenge to its constitutionality would strike it down.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Keeshhound posted:

Read the post you quoted again.

you're just applying some weird originalist reading of federal constitution to the Texas constitution, despite there being language in the Texas constitution on why this is a necessary process. This is a stupid hill to die on and you're inherently excluding the entire position of "agrees with proposed legislation and opposes constitutional amendments" from having any voice.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

ut755ln posted:

I think I am voting for the majority of them.

I'm definitely voting yes on proposition 5, and then will follow up with an argument that video games and video game accessories are actually "sporting goods" now.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

dalstrs posted:

We have them in Tarrant County.

I ran into these for the first time today, and our wait was unexpectedly long compared to past years because they hadn't quite figured out how to best hustle people through check-in, receiving a ballot, and feeding the ballot reader. Our wait was around 25 minutes. However, our voting location had at least 100 people pass through in the time it took me to cast a ballot and like other places, we only had the 10 amendments and 1 bond for TCC. 2020 is going to be :dogcited:

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Panty Saluter posted:

e: look at where this loving piece of poo poo is located lmao
On one hand, how do you end up with that kind of money and not live in Bluffview or the Park Cities in Dallas? But on the other, that's only a 1 mile hike to nearest Whataburger.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Does anyone have a source for recommendations along the demsoc lines in the tarrant county races? Other than the presidential and maybe the senate primary, I don't think i have information to start selecting anyone in a responsible manner.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

dalstrs posted:

What part of Tarrant?

I'm in NE Tarrant county and the sample ballot has a lot of judge races where i haven't even had a door hanger for a name. Somewhat googling around to see who has good criminal justice views at this point. Sample ballot: https://imgur.com/a/Ir2otiM

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

This woman moderates the largest facebook group that purports to be a parent support group for our local ISD - but between posts about volleyball games and common core, i have encountered some really sketchy stuff in there and the largest threads generally surround 2nd amendment rights and how property taxes in an affluent area with middling rates are too high.

She also runs a high school academic booster club. This article was mentioned to the school board in regards to her work with students, and I plan on giving a voice of support to try to oust her from interacting from students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because you can fix that with just adding the word "early" somewhere in there, but then again he has shown his rear end to be a big dumb idiot crybaby in the past so who knows.