Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Deep south Texas goon reporting in, McAllen, what with all the convenient national attention The Valley has been receiving due to a massive influx of women and children being caught crossing the river and in stash houses in and around the area, have Wendy Davis or Van de Putte made public statements about this? All I've been seeing and reading is Gov. Good Hair's pissing contest with Obama. And for those not in the know down here a lot of "militia" have been spotted from as far as Laredo and have offered their services to the Hidalgo Sheriff's Dept here. Nice to see a Texas Politics thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Boy oh boy I sure wish Obama would stop coming to Austin.

It would be nice if he came down here for reasons other than attending a fundraiser or two, but he probably won't because it was a part of Perry's four point dick waving plan to look better than the president in the eyes of Texans.

Edit: To clarify I mean to the Rio Grande Valley, since being born and raised here its so drat isolated from the rest of Texas getting a major political candidate down here to actually take a look at the problems a lot of people face doesn't happen often enough, and lately has been more Republican than Democrat. But yeah when I was living in Austin when Obama came to town I don't miss I35 and MoPac traffic jams.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 10, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Rick Perry and Hannity recently went on a trip down the Rio Grande where they posed with a machine gun. Thanks for helping, guys!

I heard about that really not all that surprising. And thankfully our interim Head Sherrif essentially told the militias to gently caress off since none are from the area and know the lay of the land. Its ridiculous groups from as far as New York calling to "protect the border".

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Admiral William H. McRaven will be the new chancellor of the UT System, replacing Cigarroa. Story here. You might know him from Osama bin Laden being dead. We will see if he takes similar measures with the other regents.

What's everyone's take of Cigarroa? I've heard very mixed things, and he did help bring a new Med School down here in the RGV that's been needed for forever and a day.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Perry's been indicted by a grand jury for abuse of power over his veto for Public Integrity Unit funding :getin:

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/08/15/grand-jury-indicts-perry-abuse-authority/

Was just about to post this! Will this have any reaching effects to the whole debacle with the UT Board of Regents vs Bill Powers? Crazy to see this on the heels of all that Gov. Goodhair press that had been going on for the last few months.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Xarthor posted:

So great, we have one debate left, in McAllen. I bet Abbott finds a reason to pull out of that one too. Coward.

Yeah living here in McAllen it wouldn't surprise me if that debate were just filled with the elderly. There's been zero advertising for it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm going but I don't think I'm excited as last year. The "Latinos and GOP" panel is all hispanic Republicans. Which I suppose is fair, but a lot less funny.

edit: do you capitalize hispanic or not?

Si you do. Let us know how that turns out. Being Hispanic on both sides of my family and living down here in McAllen where I was born and raised, it always blows my mind that there are groups within minorities that do actually swing Republican. I usually find them to be very well off financially but that isn't always the case. It's starting to become more common when you are having the offspring of second and third gen Hispanic families adopt a more homogenized view and identify as more American than their family's heritage.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

I remember I got really pissed at my Hispanic ex girlfriend from McAllen, because she kept referring to "White Mexicans" and how she didn't like them. I was seriously puzzled about it, but now that I am a bit older, I think I can see where she is coming from.

Yeah that happens, even when I was in high school. A lot of it comes from those that were lighter were treated or tolerated better than those of us that are darker or Mestizo. When I was growing up I found to not really like them because they were from the interior of Mexico and pretty wealthy to move over into the States. So they would act more entitled be disgusted with public schools, flaunt their cash around. Some I knew grew out of it others didn't.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Have they been paid yet?

This is what I'd like to know as well. All of our local news outlets had started up food drives and letting people know that they hadn't even been compensated for the work they had been ordered to do. Our local food banks opened their doors to help feed them till they were supposed to be paid. I hope Wendy Davis capitalizes on this to turn it against Perry and Abbot.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone know if tickets for the debate are on sale or available? I'd be interested to attend in person and maybe live post during.

Edit: Figures after spending 30 minutes for ticket information I find it after sending the post.

themonitor.com/news/debate/

quote:

In addition, in partnership with the Advocacy Alliance Center of Texas (AACT), a nonpartisan voter registration group, the media sponsors will be holding a watch party in an auditorium adjacent to the actual closed studio debate. People interested in joining us for this watch party are encouraged to call AACT at 956-664-2231 for tickets. While tickets are free, they are required to gain entrance to the watch party

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 19, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Geez has Wendy had some face work done? She looks a bit stretched.

Edit: :stare: Holy poo poo Wendy Davis slammed Abbott on the company he keeps in relation to treatment of women. And Abbott just breezes right on by it.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 20, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really wish they wouldn't call him "general". Holy poo poo he reaches so far to tie this into Obummer.

Edit: She looks super nervous. She's doing alright just on virtue of answering more questions that the moderators are asking.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 20, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Greg Abbott looks and sounds like an unfunny Lionel Hutz. All of his answers should end with "A BINDING CONTRACT"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Greg Abbott: Elect me because my old lady is from your peoples. Happy now?

Edit: Karlor that goes without saying. Abbott has had one Spanish speaking guy in all of his ads going all Uncle Tom for Greg Abbott.

Edit2: I am severely disappointed that there isn't a live audience. Also an Obama question really Abbott??

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 20, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bacteriophage posted:

Aaaaa no I missed it - what question(s) happened after the break? Did they ask questions to each other?

They did and it was awesome local news anchor Ryan Wolf couldn't keep Davis from verbally lashing into Abbott. Abbott asked if Davis regretted voting for Obama, Davis asked I forget but got a SUPER bullshit response and Davis didn't let it fly.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sardonik posted:

~the Chemistry industry~.

I do like how she seems to be taking him to task but she doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.

The more I hear her talk the more she reminds me of a California Valley Girl. I do wish she would counter Abbott with legit plans of her own though.

Edit: :siren: Greg Abbott can't tell Hispanics apart!! :siren:

Edit2: It sounds like that because The Valley is about ten years behind on everything. Yay home. :smith:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 20, 2014

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

We actually asked him about gentrification and his response was "hey at least they get a good price when they sell and move out!"

:stare: I.......that's one of the most sleaziest things you can say holy poo poo. gently caress that guy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

I'm an Aggie :mad:

Unfortunately there is no cure and is quite contagious. :v:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Do people honestly sit around and worry about the border? Like what are they afraid of? I honestly never think about border security ever, and it's these people's no. 1 campaign issue.

As someone that has been born and raised on the border. Its a different Texas here in the RGV, we have private land owners that have land right on the river that is constantly trespassed by coyotes and the people they smuggle over, cartels that are avoiding the bridges to cross drugs in. You have more and more local gangs that are being wooed by cartels to do their dirty work over here. Sixty miles north in Brooks county ranches are finding people dehydrated malnourished lost and a lot of times have been dead for a while and its becoming the norm.

A lot of times people here are concerned about border security not because of the people mainly from Central America fleeing for their lives, but the disturbing the way of life down here. A lot of times I see most of the time the people that freak the most are the ones that haven't lived down here long coincidentally tends to be more Anglos, Hispanics for the most part don't like crossing illegally, but we understand why it happens. poo poo when the "militias" offered their help during the summer no law enforcement agency wanted them around only private land owners would have them because they feel like they have no other choice to protect their land and more often than not their homes on that land. It's a lovely situation all around. Most down here don't care for how the GOP and talk radio use what's essentially a humanitarian crisis and use loving fear mongering saying Islamists and ISIS are crossing our borders and infiltrating the country. I had to correct my fiancee on that because its just so mind boggling retarded to even think that it would happen. In my experience I've encountered more racial views about it the further north you go in Texas, Austin in particular.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Randandal posted:

Remind me why a mayor would be a good vice presidential nominee for any reason other than racial/age demographic pandering.

Go statewide first.

Pretty much this. As soon as I saw them trotted out during the DNC it was obvious they are being groomed to be presidential candidates. Now that the Congress is fully Republican its not like Castro is going to be able to get anything done till another election cycle possibly. Not a one of them stays in Texas to either work on dismantling the gerry mandering, the Voter ID law, or anything else holding this state back. If anything the interview the one Castro brother uncomfortably sat through and immediately left on the Daily Show is reason enough to think neither of them will do anything of real value for Texas. I'm still probably super cynical.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

computer parts posted:

I guess we know who's getting in the playoffs next year.

Damnit you beat me to it. :argh: To be fair no amount of rigging will get us into the playoffs as long as Swoopes is still qb.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Hah, as if that "dramatization" will have anything to do with the actual history past names and dates.

I particularly like the brief shot of the black man being led away in chains as if colonial expansion of slavery wasn't the entire loving point of white Americans coming to Texas, and as if the Mexican abolition of slavery wasn't the entire loving reason the Texians revolted against Mexico.

No you see brown < white so............. Also I get Paxton and Quaid confused so my reaction to that "trailer" was AGAIN??? Also I counted one Mexican villain, and Seguin as token hero that will be eventually be betrayed, and someone named Francisco. Yep that's what I learned in history one Mexican dictator, and one Native Hispanic Texan EVER.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm not sure if this is ironic but that's literally the exact thing I learned in my Texas history class.

Its loving sad is what it is. I'm both sides Hispanic growing up in the Rio Grande Valley and that's what I learned in my advanced Tx History class in middle school. There's MAYBE a famous Zavaleta mentioned in the War for Independence everything else is white washed out. If you actually read up on Seguin's life after the war it gets super loving sad. Also why does Brendan Fraiser look like Hawkeye from Last of the Mohecans? On Netflix there's a great PBS doc series about Latino Americans from colonial period up to present day. Does a good cross section of the Texas Revolution.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

What's the series called? Also I forgot something! We learned Galveston was named after Gálvez.

It's on Netflix called Latino Americans, six episodes really really good. Made my dad cry when we got up to the labor strikes and Chicano movements during the sixties and seventies since he and my mom and both of their families were migrant workers down here and around parts of California. I learned a lot from this series that I never knew about Texas Latino History. It also covers the Puerto Rican migration to New York, Colonial California, Cuban migration to Florida, Dominican migration to New York as well. One ironically hilarious bit was a New Mexico armed protester campaigning to get ancestral land back from the government his family and others lost when New Mexico became part of the US. Calling for a return of his ancestor's land...........in New Mexico........yeah you can't say we didn't have a sense of humor.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

computer parts posted:

Michigan does and it's worse.

I pledge allegiance, your move creep.

Much better.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Randandal posted:

I moved to Frisco from New Jersey in summer of 2002 and my 9th grade class did the Texas Pledge every morning along with the US Pledge though I never stood up for it and nobody cared. Kids who didn't give a poo poo about the Texas Pledge didn't have to stand and recite it. I made a point of doing the US Pledge and then sitting for Texas... by sitting down we stood out like sore thumbs yeah, but it was an easy way for me as a new kid in school to find like-minded potential friends. And fall into drugs and eventually drop out but that's a whole other thing.

:colbert: Sounds like proof to me not reciting the Texas pledge has Texas God smitin y'all down. :clint:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Erm I don't think the bomb threat here rises to that level.

Think the reference is about the guy that flew his prop plane into a building off of 183 near the Arboretum. It was an IRS office wasn't it?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

The House is about to take up SB 2065, which is a fairly innocuous "You can't sue pastors for refusing to gay marry people" which no one wants anyway. The important thing is there is a lot of buzz speculating that Cecil Bell is going to try to amend his anti-gay marriage bill that died on deadline last week. I'm fairly certain it will get point of ordered and even if it doesn't, the Senate sponsor has promised to strip House amendments off, but if you're interested in a proxy debate about gay marriage, here you go.

It never ceases to amaze me how we have such a short window of time to try and get poo poo done and the House and Senate waste so much drat time on crap like this. Makes me wish that somehow the Texas Tribune was in some way the only news source Texans could access so they'd have no choice but to pay attention as to what goes on there.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I can't figure out if the beard is working for him or not, but he definitely makes enough money to see a tailor and get a suit jacket that fits properly.

While it's nice to see Bulk have a career outside of Power Rangers I am saddened that he's such a turd in real life.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Was San Antonio really that fed up with a progressive style mayor since Castro left? Or was this just more of an influential northwest rich side of San Antonio finally getting a candidate in office to look out for them? Lord knows La Cantera hurts for money. :v: Also the Brownsville turnout sounds about right everyone in the Valley is poo poo for voting when its not an election year.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Such a loving quagmire. By the way where does everyone fall in the whole debacle about Bill Powers? Yay or Nay as far as his tenure and the board of regents?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

For Austin people, word is that the Iron Bear on 8th Street has opened and will be selling 50 cent well drinks all day and night. Good luck, don't die.

:stare: So many potential horrible hangovers. :barf:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Ken Paxton's Very Bad Month continues as SCOTUS stays implementation of the ambulatory surgical center reqs. for abortion clinics while the case is under appeal. I believe that will keep 14 or so clinics operating that were supposed to close.

Hopefully the policing of gerrymandering ruling for Arizona can carry over into Texas because we need to stop that poo poo badly.

Also a shame the clean air ruling was boiled down to "clean air is too expensive". :smith: But yes! Hopefully a lot of the clinics down here, Rio Grande Valley, can stay open now because low income women's health is now pretty much translating into, traveling to Nuevo Progresso, or Reynosa, or Matamoros.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Travis County DA said they didn't have jurisdiction.

Nah, of the two DAs that could investigate one choose not to investigate and the other asked the Rangers to investigate because he had personal ties to Paxton.

That's gonna be an awkward Thanksgiving if it turns out they're both family of some kind.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Is he drunk, got the lazy eye, or just does not give a poo poo? I really hope this turd goes to jail. Same with Slick Rick.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Paxton just isn't having a great time of this

Pretty strange for a lead attorney to quit right before the first hearing and when there is a ticking clock to get the indictments thrown out.

Sounds like it's a case of when someone knows they've boarded the equivalent of the Hindenburg and would rather just not be involved at all. Also has there been any word from Houston if they've caught the person responsible for shooting that cop in the back?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Remember when Blue Bell ice cream killed all those people?

They reopened services and Governor tweeted this

There pictures of him eating it?? Cause those are the money ones. Also Pecan Preline and Cream Blue Bell is awesome.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This is depressing, makes me fear for those counties going full red when national elections start.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Apparently Anonymous made good on their threat to out KKK members.

If true this is a doozy.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/02/1443426/-My-Senator-the-KKK-Member

Allegedly John Cornyn's name came out as some other prominent politicians. This could be very interesting if it can be verified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

There was also a spooky video with a computer voice that said the names. The full leak is supposed to be out on 11/5.

Well that's disappointing, I haven't had much time to look for the video itself. How much information could they be able to glean just from a twitter account anyway?