Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Need some love for Annise Parker in this thread. She is gearing up for a November fight on the ballot to preserve the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance, which should draw out a lot of progressive votes in the Houston area (but obviously not nearly enough to overcome Davis' severe deficit). I don't get the Castro brothers, but mostly because I think Parker is a much more effective politician.

Democrats best chance this fall is Lecticia Van De Putte, mostly because there is a large swath of the Republican electorate that can't stand a firebrand talk radio host, and prefer someone rational. Additionally, some of Patrick's talk radio competitors have been attacking him which might dampen the wing nut frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Dante Logos posted:

I've heard about it either yesterday or the day before but here is what I am talking about The general gist is that students at the UT Law school who generally had low LSAT scores or were generally underqualified were given seats if they had the right connections. Or the story goes. I think the investigation for that is still underway. Now that I think about it, this reeks of muckraking to help oust Powers.

It is entirely muckraking to get Sandafer friendly people into the administration. Every major law school in the country allows well connected and wealthy people in despite their lackluster credentials. It's a known practice, and just the cost of doing business.

Even further, many of the accusations against Powers are not even for getting unqualified students entry to the law school, it's merely for writing letters of recommendation to unqualified students, which is even more absurd.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Fifth Circuit upheld UT's affirmative action policy. Take that white girl who didn't make the top ten percent cutoff so pretended that it was black people that meant that she couldn't go to UT but still got to go to a tier one university anyway.

She should've been friends with a State Representative.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

The weirdest part: Chris Bell endorsed Bill King.

Not that weird. Chris Bell hates Turner.

Remember in 2003 when Tom Delay was trying to push through mid decade redistricting and the Texas Dems went to Oklahoma to prevent a quorum so Delay couldn't go forward with his plan? Well, Turner was the one who came back from Oklahoma to break the deadlock and in exchange he was given the chairmanship of the appropriations committee.

Chris Bell was in Congress at the time and lost his seat when redistricting went through. Since then Bell has lost like infinity races and hates the poo poo out of Sylvester Turner.

That is why Chris Bell endorsed Bill King, notorious out of touch shithead.

In other news, former Harris County Sheriff and Mayoral Candidate Adrian Garcia is taking on Congressman Gene Green in a primary. Lets see what Annise Parker has to say about that:

https://twitter.com/AnniseParker/status/676554334306328579

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 15, 2015

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

I mean, someone was gonna be the guy to go back, unless Chris Bell thinks that they should be in Ardmore to this day. Did Turner sneak out of town or something, how divided were the D's on continuing the quorum break?

Anyways that's petty as gently caress.

Well, technically it was Whitmire who broke the deadlock because it was preventing a Seante quorum, but Turner brokered the deal. But yeah, it's petty as gently caress.

Bill King would have set this city back 20 years on transit and urban development issues just like Bob Lanier.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Lmao. Is there a reason she has beef with Garcia?

Nah, she's just super snarky on twitter and its funny as hell.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Houston is the best city in the state. Not even a discussion.

Interesting Texas political discussion outside of AustinSucksChat surrounds Governor Abbot calling for a constitutional convention to roll back 20th century gains (and some some 19th century ones -- peace out Marbury v. Madison).

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

That's more than was spent on the Houston Mayoral election.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Beto is the real deal and awesome. He had a steadfast pledge to not accept PAC or corporate money and seems legit about it (I pressed him pretty hard on this). Additionally, he committed and said outright that Singe Payer is the goal.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Not accepting PAC money seems like a significant disadvantage when trying to flip a seat.

It likely is, but his strategy is not taking that money will be a selling point for him. It's an uphill battle and being able to say Cruz is just a corporate stooge will be a significant advantage. Additionally, the PAC money he'll bring in will be minimal compared to Cruz, because PACs are front runners and they don't think he'll win.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Steve Mostyn committed suicide today. A bad day for Texas :(

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Horseshoe theory posted:

All editorial boards are horrible, without exception.

Houston Chronicle editorial board is solid. They have currently declared a fatwa against any and all politicians who do not directly support funding for Harvey rebuilding and resilience for future storms.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's cause instead of running exciting candidates that young leftists want, we've got Lupe, Justin Nelson, and Mary Hegar (just another right wing dem war criminal).

I'll vote, reluctantly, for them. But Im not bothering with a sign or donations this cycle. I gave money and time to the primary candidate I liked.

MJ Hegar seems great - but the only think I know about her is that she released the greatest campaign ad I've ever seen - that convinced me to send her $100 for her hopeless campaign in WilCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6v4CYNSIQ

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

She's bad actually. Read her website. What are her plans?

The US is a de facto parliamentary system - who cares what her personal views are as long as she votes with Democrats on all things - electing her to push the right button rather than be a voice for policy proposals which never come from junior legislators anyway

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

A congress person is very different than a Senator.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Yard signs are generally not a sign of anything. Facebook busybodies care, but that's it. Republicans generally don't put up signs since they don't view the races as contested, they may do it for a primary but that's it. They don't vote, they're not indicative of a level of support, nor are they indicative of enthusiasm - they're kind of the running joke among field people.

If Beto has 15,000 more signs than Cruz across the state, he may still lose by 250,000 votes.

I'm much more encouraged by Beto's field staff. I get texts and calls from his team regularly, which is interesting because I have never been canvassed or called before despite voting in every election since I was able to vote in 04 and with a strong D primary history. Indicates that their team is doing something right in terms of IDing their supporters.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I heard that before the 2016 election too.

"Don't pay attention to all the Trump yard signs in the Blue Wall, signs don't vote, people do!"
*doesn't think to ask what it means when everyone wants your opponent's sign in their yards and no one is willing to even hang up your name on their lawn out of apathy and shame*

I mean - it was never in doubt that Trump would win Texas - and I'm not sure I saw a single Trump yard sign around here (in either the suburbs where my parents live or inner loop Houston).

I have no idea what the yard sign situation was in Wisconsin or whatever, but the results were basically in line with the polling, so maybe if they had a better ground infrastructure calling people and knocking doors, they would have been able to move the needle by 10,000 votes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Ted Cruz started his ad buys today - positive ad in the Gulf region touting his response to Harvey and an attack ad airing in the Panhandle about DRUGS. Will be interesting to see if O'Rourke gets on the airwaves now - I thought his ad about traveling around Texas was really good - but not sure it will get a ton of traction if folks don't know who he is.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1025354141873438720

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Does O'Rourke have an RGV field office? The Grandma-in-law asked for a Beto YARD SIGN. I really don't want to pay shipping to get her one.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

buddhanc posted:

Houston goons

Come see me and volunteer at our office on Old Spanish Trail

I'm a field organizer on the Beto campaign

We need all the help we can possibly get

You are a saint, being an FO is a terrible lovely job of long hours for little pay. Seriously - thanks for doing a thankless job.

Once it's less hot out and my kid is a bit older, I'll take you up and be that guy block walking with a baby to endear myself to the whites even though I'm a colored.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

buddhanc posted:

Yes please you can dominate with your human baby shield

And I'm fairly certain I have the best FO position in the nation. The campaign is absolutely rolling in cash and I'm paid pretty drat well and I have health insurance, travel stipend, cell phone costs partially covered, etc. It's nothing amazing, but very comparable pay to an entry level job for my degree.

but yeah the hours are loving long, I'm going 12ish a day 6 days a week and we're switching to 7 days a week for GOTV stuff

Yeah - I actually remember those days fondly - I worked all the time for $2k-$3k a month but was young and had enough money in my pocket to go out with the campaign staff every night and I think we did a good thing on the campaigns we fought and those that we won.

If you're fresh out of college and doing this - enjoy it and soak up every moment before you head off and become a corporate lawyer or management consultant or whatever.

I'll send you a PM to get on the blockwalk schedule.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

TropicalCoke posted:

Beto provides healthcare? Wtf here I thought I was luxury at 3k and gas

We got a $250/mo stipend for healthcare, $80 cell phone and mileage back in 2009 - y'all need to demand some wage increases!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1029359300077084674

Probably a pretty easy endorsement but good to get nonetheless. Then again, neither she nor Beto were on Obama's endorsement list.

Lizzie Fletcher spent her life as a corporate lawyer at Vinson and Elkins and then AZA - the extent of her community involvement is starting a PP happy hour group.

If I lived in CD-7, I'd vote for her, but this narrative building of St. Johns kids being amazing public servants by existing is very annoying. She is a person that has taken the staid and true path every single step of the way - liberal arts, law school, big law partner - thoroughly unexceptional

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 15, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

fletcher was the one who worked at a union-busting law firm for years then had the balls to ask for an endorsement from the afl-cio, to which they said gently caress off

also the one whose more to the left dem primary opponent the dccc decided to drop an oppo file against

no wonder biden loves her

Her "leftist" opponent was literally Fletcher's St. John's classmate - they're both just rich West U kids. Moser was a bit more offensive since her campaign was raising money to funnel directly into her own pocket since her husband is a partner at Revolution Messaging which ran her campaign.

As an attorney, I disagree with the context that AZA is a union-busting law firm - they took a case where a janitorial company sued the SEIU for defamation for you know - lying a lot about the Plaintiff committing wage theft, and they ended up winning a big judgment - SEIU could have you know, not done that and taken a myraid of other paths that did not involve them doing the very limited subset of things that could result in Plaintiff's verdict in a defamation case.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 15, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

R-Type posted:

heh. heh. he. he. he. heh. OST you say? Oh this is gonna be good

Uh - what the gently caress does this mean?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Moser was more Online than she was left.

Yeah - she is basically the #resistance poster-child - also she doesn't live in Houston and hates it here.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Moser was not a good candidate. Personally I liked Westin in that primary and would have voted for him if I lived in the district. However it is clear that Moser was running to Fletcher's left and that the DCCC intervening in a contested open primary was highly unusual and stepped on a lot of toes. It likely also tanked Westin's chance at finishing second since Moser got all the publicity, which if I had any confidence in the Democrats being competent to come up with and execute a sophisticated strategy I might suspect was their goal.

I agree that the DCCC intervention likely led to the Moser-Fletcher runoff instead of Westin-Fletcher, which would have been a much tougher fight for Lizzie - I also agree with your assessment that the DCCC are morons and probably did this on accident, they just thought Moser was the real threat so wanted to take her out.

quote:

The facts were strong enough that in the primary, the AFL-CIO, took an unusual step of anti-endorsing her. The AFL-CIO has not been a very radical "purity tester" for its endorsement by any means.

As someone who works for a living, I disagree with the context that courts and law in the US are fair towards labor vis a vis business.

I don't know what that last sentence means - but I guess you sued your employer and lost? the PJS-SEIU case was actually a first of its kind as the free speech rights of labor unions is extremely broad - they just can't lie blatantly lie about things in publication.

Also - the Houston labor scene, for political purposes, is basically run by 3 people - and one of them made the fight against AZA a pet project because they wanted to go after a different candidate, Adam Milasansic, who also works at AZA and is running for state rep against Dwayne Bohac, because the labor leader's friend, Jennifer Rene Poole was running in the D primary against Adam (Poole is a perennial lovely candidate - despite being a Trans woman and a past president of the GLBT caucus, she wasn't even able to their endorsement). Fletcher got caught in that crossfire of stupid - it'd be hard for them to go after Adam and not Lizzie, so they were just like gently caress it, let's go after Adam hard and then just no-endorse Fletcher.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 15, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AbbottCampaign/status/1029732297078173697

Why exactly is Lupe Valdez the Democratic nominee for governor

Because the Castro brothers are cowards. And I guess Mark White's son just realized in 2018, the white son of a prominent former governor is not an automatic shoe-in

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

I don't claim to have personal knowledge of the inside machinations of the local scene so I can't really argue this.

I have not personally ever sued my employer. I am however represented by a union that routinely takes our employer to arbitration for breach of contract and files ULP charges, and typically wins. My last sentence in particular was nothing more than a statement that under the letter and the enforcement of the law the deck is stacked against workers.

Fair - but this was not an employment dispute (which I agree is stacked against employees and in favor of employees) - this was a defamation case which is different than a standard employment action that a Union brings on behalf of its members.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Does anyone have access to any written product or material from the groups that oppose paid sick leave? I'm really curious to see what their argument is other than it will destroy small business or whatever.

My current status is small business can go gently caress itself.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Menendez is a different animal since with him it's about his history of corruption rather than being a Dem in a red state.

Anyway abolish the Senate, Wyoming should not have as much say in that chamber as California

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1032624115084091392

Just, just lol if they lose Tom DeLay's seat

Crazy Rich Asians the human doesn't have a chance at beating Pete Olson

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

^^
Sugarland is very cool now - I would live there instead of the inner loop in a heartbeat if I could avoid the commute through some magic force.

No Safe Word posted:

I don't get the reference but why is Sri Kulkarni "Crazy Rich Asians the human"? I agree he doesn't have a very good shot at beating Pete Olson but since I knew his family very well growing up (as in I lived one neighborhood over and went to school with his little brother for a decade) I want to know what that characterization is all about.

Have you met him? He's kind of an airhead and basically exists within the #resist universe.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 24, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

If y'all are in Harris County, remember to head out and vote for the flood bonds - $2.5 billion for flood mitigation that is desperately needed.

Today is election day - so vote at your local precinct

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

gently caress CBS News.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1033289896184696834

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Got a new headline now:

Beto O'Rourke says “nothing more American” than to stand up or take a knee for your rights

Editor's Note: The headline of this story has been changed to more wholly reflect O'Rourke's remarks and correct a previous headline that stated O'Rourke said there was "nothing more American" than NFL players protesting the national anthem. Players who kneel during the national anthem are protesting police brutality and racial inequality.

They didn't take down the tweet though.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Ted Cruz sucks so much. He is literally making this campaign about kneeling to protest. There is an embedded video with a 60 second spot.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1034096606365278213

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I like his plan

https://betofortexas.com/plan/

Who knows if it'll work, but it involves no money from PACs and no giving money to consultants.

The plan is a very standard field operation - the issue will be QC with something that big - we did it for Annise Parker in 2009, but it was a low turnout election, with a narrowly targeted field universe and all training and QC were run through our office by highly trained FO's, interns and HS kids looking to crush some college apps.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

How is Lyin Ted taking the one percent difference?

By ensuring the voters of Texas know that he stands for the anthem at the oblong sports all game which he totally is a big fan of.

Thursday Night Light towers were defining for his upbringing

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1034825920383787008?s=21

Perennial pessimist Chris Hooks says it’s good because republican voters are squares

They're 100% doing this so they can run a bunch of adds with this as a twitter scroll - IS THIS THE TEXAS YOU WANT - and will run it non-stop during NCIS and the local news to scare the whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

It's going to be NRG Stadium because Bob McNair is the biggest Trump supporting rear end-hat in the group of rear end-hats known as NFL Owners