Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

radical meme posted:

Do they not remember this guy? Does history really have to repeat itself?

The only reason he was let onto campus was those damm open carry laws from the 60's. If only we could have stopped him with some laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

If more students had had high powered rifles and counter-sniper training that whole tragedy could have been prevented.

The Ironic thing is, civilians were returning fire with hunting rifles, forcing Whitman to take cover, and one of the 3 men that went up the tower to take out Whitman was a civilian.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

So we can ignore all local speed limits, building codes and zoning ordinances.

I can finally, start that chicken farm on the balcony of my condo.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

For those of you not following the USPol thread, today was Muslim Day at the Capitol.

It went real bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpuhYSyb8yY

Heh, the Nazi sign is funny. Where do they get these people, don't they have jobs?
Unfortunately, "Hug a Muslim Thursday" is not practiced in most counties in Texas. The news is full of bad stuff going down in Muslim areas around the world. If every news story about crime started with "Wyoming native XYZ was involved..." you would start to think that everyone from Wyoming was a criminal.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

The Senate State Affairs Committee is hearing two gun bills today: a campus carry measure and an open carry measure. Expect shenanigans. I imagine the Tribune will have a stream.

Looks like the Campus carry bill may go through. The open carry bill lost steam because, guys with thumb hole stock sks's, and AR's with lots of crap on them like to walk around having their picture taken.

Required gear for a real AR

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

If anything open carry will reduced minority deaths by allowing white people with guns an nonverbal way to threaten others with death and thus get what they want.

You do realize that most states have open carry laws already. So I don't see this creating a pistol packing zone, where everyone has a stainless S&W 500 attached to their hip.

edit: got beat

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Right, only crazies want to open carry. But that doesn't help when a crazy man is screaming at you to turn that rap music down. But if he's open carrying you'll know he's armed and just do what he says.

Interesting example, I can see where this may actually save a life here and there.

The fender bender, where the redneck comes flying out of his truck, ready to kick rear end, till he notices the pistol on the other guys hip.

Knowing a gun is in play could defuse things, before the concealed gun comes out and gets used.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Psyc patient makes some wild claims, the islamophobia we are all waiting for has been found, news at 11

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Court orders Travis County to issue license to same sex couple

Get out your popcorn.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

Can he do that? It was legally issued as far as anyone can tell at the moment.

By the power of grey skull, I declare this legally issued license void.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Lots of cops bully some old dudes at a VFW hall in TX.

The link

Or maybe, Crazy old guys send confusing documents to Kerr county court house, and a warrant for their arrest is issued.

Or, Local animal control officers threatening to strike, after not being included in the "big raid".

Why federal law enforcement was involved, is the really curious thing. I understand the "Old Coots piss off a judge, and get to visit him in court" part of this. But why the Feds??

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Probably because impersonating a judge through the USPS is a federal crime.

Ahh, that makes more sense, "the post office".

Rule number 142 in the DIY shadow government handbook:
Always use Fedex when sending threatening documents.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Rick Perry had nothing to do with the groups themselves, but they 'activated' themselves around the same time he called up the National Guard:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20140801-masked-armed-militias-patrolling-texas-side-of-border-draw-scrutiny.ece

Private people, watching private land for trespassers, not much of a story. This is Texas after all.

Old Rancher "people keep breakin into my barn and stealing fuel out my tractor"
Young Rancher "mind if I sleep in your barn tonight with my shotgun, keep an I on things?"
Old Rancher "sure"
(later that night some punk sneaks into the barn with an empty fuel can and some rubber hose)
Young Rancher "what do you think your doing in here"
Some Punk "ohh poo poo!"

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Bill to legalize pot the Link in the Texas house. The Christian values argument for legalization, is a new one I haven't heard before.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Rabble posted:

I don't want to start a gun debate but I was under the assumption that if you had a prior conviction you couldn't buy or own a gun anymore. If these guys were walking around with a pistol wouldn't they just be arrested for possession of a firearm based on their ex-con status?

Heh, driving on a suspended licence. I'm surprised they didn't include parking tickets.
I think these jokers are stupid, and I don't like their tactics, they are far from hardened criminals.

It's only a felony conviction that removes your gun ownership rights.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Confederate Battle flag on your license plate.
Free speech or going to far.

The link

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

Good article about the anti-gay marriage rally on the Capitol steps yesterday.

I have never understood why people are so against this.
(willing to go to jail for it????)
It's not like it's going to create more gay people.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

Well we're all going to find out in June when SCOTUS legalizes it.

Pillar of salt, wrath of god type stuff.

I guess it makes sense if they actually think that, it will bring fire and brimstone, they might be concerned.
Unfortunately, I think there are a few other countries ahead of us in "allowed gay marriage and must be destroyed" que.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Seems to not be a problem for Asians and White males The link Still primarily a Gay problem it would seem, so it's unlikely to have a lot of support in the legislature.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

zoux posted:

Kids are going to put it in their butts.

trying to figure out how to do this.

I just don't see the issue with the powdered alcohol.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Parachute posted:

Can they even physically observe this? Maybe I'm thinking of just the random weirdos who are showing up in Bastrop.

Camp Swift is just north of Bastrop, it's run by the National Guard. Gona be hard to do anything there without them knowing about it.

You can observe parts of the billeting area from the hwy. I guess someone could park out there with a spotting scope and watch Soldiers going back and forth to the chow hall.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

I think the Ninjas in a shipping container was mentioned a while back as part of the Jade helm plan.

That fact that I mention this in an open channel, ensures that I will be targeted.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
I think Texas law allows family members or organizational members to claim a body with the intent of performing funeral rites. I believe all you need to do is submit a report of death to the county registrar.

Muslim burial involves washing the body, a funeral cloth and head towards Mecca ( think thats it)

I don't see where this practice violates any Texas laws.

This is clearly an "I hate Muslims" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I'm not going to say the Rick Perry indictment isn't a waste of time and money but clearly what he did was against the spirit of the law if not the letter of the law. I believe both parties were pieces of poo poo and I think prosecuting it is a tremendous waste of time and money but what he did probably should be illegal even if it was technically not.

This is a completely different animal though because 1. He has already been slapped on the wrist for a similar crime and 2. He is a motherfucking attorney, one of the most powerful ones in the country, he doesn't get to play ignorance of securities law much less after they already gave him a free pass. No, politics aside we shouldn't allow attorneys to repeatedly violate the law after they have already been told not to, Texas disbars attorneys for being addicted to alcohol.

At a minimum, Perry should cut off funding for his office.