Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I went to an exceedingly expensive private liberal arts school and I wish I would've gone to UT instead :smith:

Strange, I went to UT and wish I had gone to a tiny liberal arts school in Vermont or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oJDVfvTM

he was somehow ok

my favorite thing about this video is the shirtless fratboys

aaaahahaha yesssss

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

His threatening the elected official is also a felony, and it was pretty obvious that this was the case (I don't think he even tried to hide it?) so I'm optimistic about the second felony. The first one, actually withholding the funds, is legal according to Perry's counsel, so that one could go either way.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Here is the map, with accompanying demographic data. This incoming city council is going to be wildly different than the last one, which is why you're seeing the flurry of activity from existing members.

I just went over the candidates for District 6, for the northwest side. There are four dudes running. One is a single-issue traffic problems candidate whose solution is to decentralize downtown and increase suburb growth (lol). The second is a tea partier. The third talks about his family and how Austin is a great place to live and doesn't even have an 'issues' section on his website (but is still willing to spend lots of money on billboards I've seen around town??). The last is what looks to be a moderate guy who has lots and lots of okay ideas and fleshes them out a lot. Not remarkable, but very professional; probably a Masters in Public Policy type.

This is about as good as one could expect from the suburbiest (but not richest) part of town.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

While Abbott's not the greatest candidate, Republicans have plenty of other reasons to turn out strong in Texas this year. She's got no chance, and so a lot of resources are going to registration drives and infrastructure-building.

Her ads have been terrible and so was her debate performance. I finally saw a decent ad from her today touting a reduction in standardized testing, but that's been the brightest blip from her campaign since spring.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 28, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Both their answers are terrible and unspecific; at least Davis' attacks are good. She's a terrible public speaker and is giving mealy-mouthed answers and I hate it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

that actually sounds more disgusting and anger-inducing than just seeing bags all over the loving place because humans are poo poo

yeah you'll still find a lot of old populists out in the square counties. they may be just about the best salt-of-the-earth folks you can still talk to today, but they're rapidly disappearing

of the west texas/panhandle counties, ~20 went clinton in '92, ~17 in '96, with 0 blue counties recorded in 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012. but they're still there :smith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't been downtown during the day in a long time, does Chris Riley still use that blue and green Austin skyline picture in his signs? A friend of mine designed that for his campaign. It was cool seeing her work all over town last election.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Roll Tide.

not exactly the best year for austinites to talk poo poo about college football

zoux posted:

That one?

awesome, yeah

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's the stuff. I hope Sargent never retires.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol anyone here represented by Dawna Dukes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R6N25LO040

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god Texas Democrats are the worst

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

FOUR-WHEEL FLIM FLAM!

It's all fair in war and politics but who are the Democrats fooling with this? Is it really helping them more than it's hurting? It just doesn't really work, and then when the Republicans push back, the Dems get defensive.

:negative:

aaaahaha, at least Lloyd Doggett still has some fire in his belly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That jimmy flannigan ad is pretty impressive, he was out of breath by the end.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

emfive posted:

If you're in Austin District 6, please vote in the runoff. For personal reasons with which you may disagree, I consider candidate Don Zimmerman to be a shitbag and that opinion has nothing to do with his politics. You have no reason to believe me and I won't go into details.

Thank you and have a good day.

If you live in Austin district 6, please vote against General Shitbag Don Zimmerman. For fear of litigation I won't get specific, but gently caress his for-profit rear end.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So can someone explain that Circle C Scruggs race? I don't know poo poo about south Austin politics.

I live in Cedar Park, and voiced my concern about the runoff in District 6 to maybe a dozen people who live within the voting district. None of them voted. Zimmerman really does have pull with the Tea Party crowd, and Flannigan's fancy hammer signs and ridiculous video didn't do anything to sway my lazy, fat, tech-industry friends, though his platform was pretty much built for them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Could they do anything about Robin Hood?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

For some reason, moderate Jewish dude Joe Straus is still the Texas Speaker of the House. He's getting his next Tea Party challenger today, who got robocall support from Glenn Beck.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Here's a statue of a pecan. Not everybody likes it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I fuckin' hope so, rent is insane.

I grew up in Leander, Georgetown was a football rival and Mason Crosby used to dink field goals against us all day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The establishment GOP has firm support in the House, backed up by Democrats. I think Straus can handle budgetary stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

radical meme posted:

It's not just Austin. There are places in north Texas that are almost impossible to get to without using a toll road. From Fort Worth or the Mid-Cities, try to get to Allen or Frisco without using a toll road. And I don't know if any of that revenue comes back to Texas.

I remember a big uproar because the construction and funneling of profits of 183-A in Austin would be toward a German company, but now we just complain about TexTag period. I think it's just because people are more short-sighted here, having moved in the last decade and expect to move again soon.

Alkydere posted:

Also, yes, the SFA mascot is a color.

We (Leander), and some local media I think, called y'all the Fuzzy Dots.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have an 1895 map of Texas with Leander is on it, plus a 1922 map with Cedar Park. Nothing I learned while attending both high schools told me that the cities existed before 1990.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I live about a mile from Anderson Mill and I can confirm it's been developed since the 80's. Pretty much zero growth on the curve between 183 and 620.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

(or tread)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So how many states have had full cannabis legalization bills leave committee?

vvv duh, it's still a step in the right direction

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 7, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good session, folks. This is the kind of excellence I expect from the 13th largest economy in the world.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Okay, I disagree with cigarette taxes because I smoke. I disagree with taxes going toward highway funding because I ride a bicycle. I disagree with subsidizing investing and want to tie capital gains to income. I disagree with a homestead exemption and property tax exemption because I don't own a home. Do you see how stupid you sound?

You should be compelled to do what society has decided you should do because that's the price of not being ripped apart by wolves at night.

edit i mean, what even are you, a big-government anarchist?

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 27, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Austin has half as many people but had 78,000 come out for the mayoral runoff even though the frontrunner had a massive lead and was uncharismatic and lovely.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Was this 'broad coalition' projecting their beliefs onto a technocratic Taylor or is she really one of them?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

And at one point, a mailer surfaced that cut straight to the chase, calling Van de Putte the most conservative candidate in the race.

She may just have run a lovely campaign.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wait did the DST thing really fail because of football?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUPYOueKt4

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

1stGear posted:

There's a convenience store directly across from the Camp Swift entrance. Probably the best place to camp out and monitor so you don't lose access to your supply line of Cheetos and Mountain Dew.

Back in the day one time I chugged three bottles of cranberry juice at 4:30 in the morning at that convenience store before drill to beat a drug test. That was a rough period.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vidor is 97% white, which is lol for East Texas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Related, anyone got a good rundown with all the details of the Ken Paxton investigation and trial?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fluoridation is the only thing keeping my teeth in my skull. Is it too soon to derisively refer to San Marcos as an Austin suburb yet?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maoist Pussy posted:

People choose or avoid a city for all sorts of different reasons. You only know those reasons when someone makes a public spectable out of announcing them.

No poo poo?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

With Mopac/Ben White and 130, I'm pretty sure it's been multiple years since I've been on I-35 in the direct downtown area.

The one train line we do have is pretty awesome, but they don't have the capacity they should. They have to leave a lot of people when the last train departs at 12:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I lived off Mopac once, I hated Mopac more than 35, but that was a while back, downtown I'm sure got as big as it looked when they were building it.

Mopac is fun because it's got little tricks to zip through West Austin neighborhoods when it's super locked-up. The toll plan is hosed up, though.