Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

illcendiary posted:

Come to San Antonio, I need friends here anyway :shobon:

I'll be your friend! :glomp:

For reals tho, we have a quiet thread, the more people the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Fun Fun Fun Fest had a pretty drat good lineup this year. As a whimsically ironic Austinite, Gogol Bordello would have been cool to see. Also, as a whimsically ironic Austinite, I can't afford even second-tier festivals like FFFF

The price increase the past couple years made it too much for me this year, but then the week leading into it, all my friends started selling their passes since they couldn't make it. Luckily the weather was bad enough I didn't feel bad about not taking them up on the discounted price.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Constitutional rights were not a citizens only thing last I looked.

You haven't read the drone memos then.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

zoux posted:

I like Texas, I just don't like Texans.

Here's the university's response to the Pistol Passion Play Posse

I was going to say I like some Texans, but thinking about it, all the ones I like were raised outside Texas.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

computer parts posted:

That's not how medians work.

A lot of things in Texas don't work the normal way, I wouldn't be surprised if math was also different.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I actually feel kind of dirty for using them when I went on vacation in Seattle.

But dammit, it really is pretty drat convenient. I just want a company to come up with the same service that isn't so evil. I would even be willing to pay extra for it.

If you stop over in San Antonio, yellow cab has an app and good drivers.

Edit: sataxi and alamo taxi are super lovely tho

duz
Jul 11, 2005

My issue is that they changed the definition of the phrase "ride sharing".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I just use the yellow cab app here in SATX, works just fine. Also, background checks is one of several reasons they left here. They gave in after a couple months, such a weird thing to fight. Altho I suppose once you've passed the background checks and got some experience with Uber, you could then work for yellow cab and make better money.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The worst is the drivers who support prop 1 vociferously who maybe don't realize they're being exploited by a billion dollar company.

Or maybe they really don't want a background check.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

What's hilarious is that both Uber and Lyft are saying they will leave Austin if Prop 1 fails, which introduces a very exciting game-theory situation of "which one of them will change their stance at the last minute and decide to take the whole Austin market for themselves?"

They both did leave San Antonio for a couple months over the same issue and the ADA one. You know, despite just being an app that connects people and thus couldn't leave an area if that were true.
Lyft caved first and Uber followed, giving in to the demands to treat people equally and keep a record of whose working.

blackguy32 posted:

Im actually surprised to see so many people essentially saying gently caress Uber. My Corpus Christi friends are all adamant about how Uber needs to come back because of drunk drivers even though there is no evidence that Uber is actually decreasing DUIs.

But apparently there is another rideshare company called "Get Me" that is out operating in Houston and Austin. Although I don't know much about them.

I think it's mainly young people have never taken a normal taxi and are afraid to despite or because of that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Uber/Lyft HQ are tone-deaf as gently caress thinking that buying an election with PAC money wouldn't backfire in the current political climate.

They've been fighting cities/lawsuits over having to drive handicapped people around, I don't think they care about optics, just $$$.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Also something has been really bugging me -- is it that difficult to make an Uber clone app? Do they have patents on anything?

I would think that a group of talented software engineers could write an Uber clone in a few weeks

The yellow cabs in Texas already have one. The technology isn't the hard part of running a livery company.

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/729392605553778688

Looks like they've already got the Lege on board, assuming they don't manage to piss them off like the gun people did last session. Given the campaign they just ran, it's possible they will!

Best part of that is that it's not inconsistent, all the cities have said they have to follow the existing laws.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

zoux posted:

How's everyone's first day in the blasted hellscape that is post-Uber Austin.

quote:

I remember we were trying to get a ride home and we were jumped by a group of guys who punched us in order to steal out cab because it was so hard to get a ride home.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

I'm glad I no longer live in Austin. I miss the east side and Alamo draft house bot not having to deal with tech doucebags makes up for it 1000%.

Maybe there can be another vote on a new rail service but we all know the olds will show up and vote it down because "muh taxes :reddit:"

Don't feel too bad about the Drafthouse, they have assigned seating and no more growlers now.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

saintonan posted:

Nice to see that the traditional conservative mantra "Government closest to the people governs best" getting turned on its head when lobbying gets involved.

It's "State's Rights" not "City's Rights" for a reason!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

gently caress Uber and gently caress all of these people who bought their lies

I like the one comment asking if they're still allowed to drive if they don't drink.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Aliquid posted:

There's a petition to put up a statue or statues of Spurs players in San Antonio.

The best execution imo would be giant-sized Tim Duncan and David Robinson, facing north on either side of I-35 like The Argonath

As long as they're big enough to wear the boots outside north star I'm up for it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

They're certainly doing a good job of making that transformation happen. Give them a few more years and they'll have SXSW moved to Round Rock so they can have some peace and quiet.

Every SXSW season the papers down here in SA talk about how maybe this will be the year a talk or party or anything really will get moved here and from there it'll just snowball and soon we'll get to sit at the cool kids table during lunch!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Everywhere but by the quarry apparently

The quarry is the storm drain.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I can still have burracho beans, right? In the same meal as my chilli?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

I still can't believe that no one in accounting didn't stand up and shout "why don't we spend this eight million on lobbying instead of pissing people off?"

Also, how seriously should I take some of the talk I've been seeing re medical marijuana legalization?

Because 8mil is a rounding error in the funnel that is Uber's money drain.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

zoux posted:

Between this and waving the Terrible Towel in Cleveland, are we sure that Paul Ryan actually knows how sports work

What are you talking about, he totally knows how to do the sport

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Back Hack posted:

How does requiring ID such as a drivers license, passport, or whatever to vote discriminates against races? Is there something obvious here I'm just not seeing?

Because it's a poll tax, but since it's a tax on time instead of money, it's legal!
Free time of course being something that poor people don't always have a lot of. And wealth tracks with race due to racist history.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Because kids and their after-school programs are the reason that Austin is too expensive?

Non-subsidized taxpayers? So people who don't have a mortgage or kids?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

nikitakhrushchev posted:

Why is CapMetro doing this?

To warn newcomers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

If I did the math right, 10% of registered voters in Bexar county voted in the first three days. That's a pretty good turnout.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Well then, APD chief police Hubert Acevedo got recorded ripping his underlings a new one.

quote:

If you can’t handle a kid in broad daylight, naked, and your first instinct is to come out with your gun, and your next instinct is to shoot the kid dead, you don’t need to be a cop. I don’t give a poo poo how nice you are.

quote:

Nobody wearing stripes, or bars or stars should even think about justifying a woman — that the reason that woman got pulled out of that car is because she had the audacity to tell him to hurry up. You know what? Millennials ask questions, so get over it. If you are going to order somebody to do something, you better have a drat good reason if you are going to take them to jail.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

skipdogg posted:

In positive news, Bexar county early voting is almost at the 250K mark. Including Sunday early voting 245.5K votes have been cast already. 2012 turnout was 520K and 2008 was 530K.

And there are about 1.05m registered voters in Bexar county, so almost a quarter of the registered voters have done so in the first week. Getting good turn out here.
In sign chat, yesterday I saw a business on the southside with a half dozen large RNC signs, no mention of Trump, just how awesome Republicans are.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Texas not wasting any time.

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/798284733830623237

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Yes, hopefully they don't follow thru with copying NC.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

FBS posted:

Per Twitter, Ted Cruz is being considered for Attorney General.

I can't decide if I should be more afraid of the poo poo he'd get into in Washington or relieved at the thought that Ted Cruz would no longer be my senator.

Depends on the procedure for replacing him, I suppose. If it goes to a special election, that'll be fun with how close-ish the recent election was. If it's an appointment, meh, better to let him stubble around the Senate messing things up.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

nikitakhrushchev posted:

I don't understand how this elector reconciles his resignation with the fact that his successor will almost certainly vote for Trump. Wouldn't it be a better expression of his conscience to stay in his position and be a faithless elector or whatever? :cripes:

It doesn't matter if someone else pulls the trigger, all that matters is that I didn't pull the trigger.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

The gently caress is a fish fry?

A great way to meet Catholics?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Apparently Abbott is trying his damndest to get a constitutional convention rolling... Why are there so many lovely people in power? :sigh:

Because people that want to make the world better don't think to go into government.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Florida, my wife had her road test in the same day when we lived there.

Is a month and a half wait normal? That's a lot of car pooling.

You don't already have a license you can surrender for a Texas one? That's what I did with my NY driver's license.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

It's ok as long as they're using modern forms of gerrymandering and not just reusing older methods because then we know they're not just doing it to win election but instead trying to reflect the values of the current voting population.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I have been in clean Uber vehicles and I have been in some pretty raunchy Uber cars. HE also overlooks the fact that Uber left, they weren't kicked out or anything.

That's not what the in app popup says! (I assume they're still doing that)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Surge pricing doesn't last all day. I understand y'all hate Uber's business practices but Texas cities have poo poo public transportation and Uber was a godsend​ for me while travelling for work. I like having one app that works nationwide and I'm not going to try new services that are the flavor of the day for a specific city. I'm working a conference in Houston for food bankers from around the world and a good majority of them will catch Ubers from their hotel to explore the city. That really wasn't an option 5 years ago when I first started working this conference, hell I remember one of them telling me the horror story of them attempting to get around with the Houston metro.

Shame Uber and the metro are the only way to get around. Someone should find a solution for that gap.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah nothing you said makes any sense. When I am DC next week I will use DC Metro along with Uber. Either way it's not all rich tech bros using Uber. I don't know the specifics but why did Uber bail from Austin and not Houston? They worked out a solution with the city of Houston and I am curious why it didn't work out that way in Austin

They left San Antonio as well until we got a new, business friendly mayor that waived the background check requirement (and the ADA one).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

So it turns out the amendment to cut all road funding in Stickland's district was attached to his feral hog amendment, meaning it didn't actually happen (because Stickland's amendment didn't pass). Not as funny imo.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/850339892458639362

No, you're wrong. It's just as funny.
Not as good, but just as funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I've been getting fun emails from Castro's campaign. About how we should donate before the filling deadline to help convince him to run against Cruz.