Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Pledges are stupid and border on indoctrination as is. A state pledge is even worse. However, what are you really accomplishing by not doing them? I'll admit I'm a teacher and am on the opposite "side" now, but it's just a stupid thing you do and move on with.

And when you don't do it, everyone in the class has to make a big deal about it and how they shouldn't have to do it either. Meanwhile the teacher is trying to just move past the situation and get to the lesson, but we've got to deal with district policy, etc.

It's not like a real issue where you can actually make a difference by standing up for yourself. It's just a stupid thing you deal with, don't make a big deal about it, and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

April fools? ..........please?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

enraged_camel posted:

I think it's a legitimate complaint, honestly. If you want to have things go your way, you need to go vote. Blaming the campaign manager for failing to make you go vote is retarded and dumb.

The problem is that it isn't the ones who didn't vote who are complaining; it's the ones who did.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Personally I trust any videos from this generation's Deep Throat, DAHBOO777.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

He can still be AG (unless criminal charges forced him to go to prison, I believe), though obviously pressure would be on him to resign.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I live in Dallas but work in Waxahachie, so I shop at the HEB there. Yay for commutes?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This turned into more of a rant on my specific situation than a contribution to the discussion, and I apologize for that, but goddammit learning about this student's situation made me angry today. They are leaving her twisting in the wind. There's not a snowball's chance in Hell she'll be able to pass the EOCs or get a diploma unless she gets some kind of support. But SpEd won't come near her case.

Makes me want to start slapping my way up the food chain until I get somebody to agree to fix this poo poo, but I'm not senior enough to get away with that.

Yeah, this kind of think sucks and is far too common. It sounds like your student would have been tested under TELPAS for at least a year. Assuming he/she has shown improvements (or was rated advanced/advanced high) in the areas other than reading/writing (so speaking and listening) in that time, you can and should absolutely make a case for SPED testing, SPED department be damned. If need be, get your local union teacher organization involved, because you have a legal case.

http://texasprojectfirst.org/ReferralProcess.html

Assuming you can get the parents to consent, the school has to comply within 15 days or give a legal reason why they won't. If you support it with documentation of TELPAS improvements/high scores their hand will be forced. (FYI I'm a teacher not a lawyer though)

The EOC thing is also a can of worms. They recently made it where they don't give students their required modifications (accommodations are still given, mostly, on the computer-based version though) for the state testing of SPED/504 students. While the students don't generally have to pass to graduate like other students, their scores do get averaged in with all other students with no qualifiers. Given the amount of pressure the state puts on districts for testing scores, you can imagine where that leads districts.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just changed mine by mail to a different county and it didn't ask anything about that. Didn't even know that was legal.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

poemdexter posted:

It's anecdotal, but allow me to introduce you to the numerous female family members in Texas ready to pull the lever for Trump.

Same. :smith:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Type in "my ballot" to google. Then input your address and click on the tab that says "State"

It's Wayne Christian (R), Mark Miller (L), Martina Salinas (G), and Grady Yarbrough (D).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Voted at the Dallas County Tax office at 4:30 and was in and out in 10-15 minutes. Lots of people were voting, but it was well-organized. My wife did the same this morning (like 7:30-8:00) and didn't notice a line.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anyone in Dallas that knows the Democrat/liberal game and goes to events?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Before this election, I would have agreed.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

FBS posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03/01/businesses-line-against-dan-patricks-pet-insurance-bill/

Has Patrick done a single thing since he got elected that isn't completely reprehensible?

My sister was telling me about a cool guest lecture thing at various universities he pushed through, but I don't know enough about it to say it wasn't rooted in evil.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I haven't looked at the data myself, but I would be willing to venture that this bill will backfire a bit. Republicans straight ticket too, and saying more people voted for downticket dems just because of straight ticketing seems absurd.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This year I'm moving from Dallas to Waxahachie (about 30 miles south). Looks like they went pretty red (about 75-25 for Trump). I wonder if any sentiments have changed.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This election was a wake up call for many people. Maybe I'm being optimistic but I can't see that kind of thing happening again.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I did Boys State in 04. Hated it at the time. I would probably like it more now though, since I'm more politically minded.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

zoux posted:

This is me and I'm fixin to be a oil tycoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRytTfWL8Q

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Glad he's running. It'll be good to be rid of Abbott and Cruz in one go.

Does anyone know if there are a lot of dems ruining for state and local offices here? All I ever hear about are Congress and governor.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I feel like he should respond in kind with “Daddy was a veteran, a southern democrat. They oughta get a rich man to vote like that.”

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Looks like meat’s back on the menu, boys!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I assume the sundown laws or whatever would still apply though? (10-9, nothing on Sundays, etc)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

US 287 between Waxahachie and Mansfield is dubbed the Chris Kyle Memorial Highway.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah it’s annoying as hell that DART can take you practically anywhere in DFW except the Arlington area.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Wait, who would we be stuck with? Or would it just be DFW?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Sure, I'll take CS and Tyler. Though I think Dallas-Austin is a better pairing than Houston-Austin.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

An Aggie myself, I can't honestly dispute any of this.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Reik posted:

I see a lot of Beto lawn signs in my Dallas suburb neighborhood. I'm not surprised.

Hell, I see some here in Waxahachie. Gives me hope Makes me feel slightly better about our state.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I went to a brewery there around Thanksgiving and enjoyed it. Don't remember the name though. The sunsets are gorgeous.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Bless his (her) heart.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

What the gently caress is wrong with people? I know, I know, human nature and all, but how do we always end up electing shitheads?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah it’s crazy, like the breweries in dfw. William Chris in Hye, Texas Hills in Johnson City, and Grape Creek in Fredricksburg are good though. I’m personally also partial to Messina Hof.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Name it "Weird", and then when people inevitably protest it, the counter protest can just use the shirts that already exist. :rimshot:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

zoux posted:

This seat represents control of the Senate so

Yeah, they are probably assuming they will pick up 0 blue seats, so they have to win every single current red one.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I swear Texas Democrats are just trying to get caught in the spam filter. "Re: finals"

How are they this worthless?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So what are we thinking? Arlington?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Someone start a GoFundMe and I will absolutely contribute.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Sounds like he read the headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Dameius posted:

There is only a certain kind of despair you can feel that comes from voting that just isn't the same when you sit on the sidelines.

As my dad/grandpa always told me, "When you don't vote you have no right to complain." Of course, now they're both upset I have the audacity to complain about the current state of affairs. Hmmm