Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh, I thought that each character had a separate Special Action. Guess not v:v:v

E: wait, I thought Oriana's discards cycle as normal? or am I remembering the rules wrong as I am wont to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
When one of your characters dies, if you've used your special action already, you get another.

Each character has their own special action card if you're playing face-to-face so you don't have to try and swap the special action card surreptitiously back and forth between the characters' hands when you want to use it. That doesn't actually give you any extra special actions.

As for discards,

"Negate the opponent's entire attack pair. Treat it as though they played nothing at all. Rearrange all standups on the board however you wish."

- page 28 of the rulebook

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weird, I could have sworn Pulse made the other player cycle their discards.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Er, it does. My discard should now be Metamagic Shot and Calamity Meteor.

Damnit, now I have to find the FAQ for Pulse and Cancel again. This is the worst part of the rulebook.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Are you talking about this?

FAQ posted:

Q: Pulse vs Cancel vs Finisher; What happens when two of those are played the same beat?

A: The order of resolution is Pulse, then Cancel, and finally Finisher. If a Pulse meets a Cancel/Finisher the Pulse is resolved as normal but the Cancel/Finisher doesn't take effect. Instead the Special Action and base cycle to discard 1 and the player has an additional style available for 2 beats. If a Cancel meets a Finisher the Finisher doesn't take effect and the Special Action and base are placed in discard 1 just as if it was a normal attack pair. If two instances of the same Special Action meet each other (and clash in case of Finishers) the Special Action cards are placed in discard 1, the bases are returned to their respective hands and new attack pairs are played just as if a Cancel was played.
I don't see anything in the FAQ saying that Pulse causes normal attack pairs to rotate.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man the more I look at it the more absurd Unstable looks. It gets +1 to max range, power, priority, AND its MP effects are pretty loving brutal :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have come to a conclusion and that conclusion is that i don't like playing against oriana :saddowns:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

The closest I can find to an official answer is here.

It's not straight from the mouth of Talton himself, but Sasha "Phyr" Parsa is the writer of the FAQ, and the closest I've found to an authoritative answer.

(It also makes the most sense to me, given the official interaction of Pulse/Cancel--why would the Cancel pair cycle if this wasn't the normal intent of a pulse?)

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Alright, fair enough. Oriana's discards have rotated then.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Wolery posted:

:frogsiren: OK it's ante time! Hikaru is still first to ante. You know what to do.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gutter Owl posted:

The closest I can find to an official answer is here.

It's not straight from the mouth of Talton himself, but Sasha "Phyr" Parsa is the writer of the FAQ, and the closest I've found to an authoritative answer.

(It also makes the most sense to me, given the official interaction of Pulse/Cancel--why would the Cancel pair cycle if this wasn't the normal intent of a pulse?)

So you don't cycle your discard, but your opponent does, and will have 1 empty discard pile (assuming he didn't play a cancel/finisher)? Or he'll just put his attack pair for that turn in his discard pile and act as though they weren't played?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 20, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

S.J. posted:

So you don't cycle your discard, but your opponent does, and will have 1 empty discard pile (assuming he didn't play a cancel/finisher)? Or he'll just put his attack pair for that turn in his discard pile and act as though they weren't played?

The opponent's negated attack pair cycles into their Discard Pile 1 as if it were a normal attack pair.

Here's a quick rewrite of Pulse's rules for clarity:

quote:

Pulse
Negate the opponent's attack pair--treat them as though the cards were blank, but still played. Any tokens anted still take affect as normal. Rearrange the character stand-ups how you wish. Proceed directly to the recycle step. During the recycle step, remove your Special Action card from the game, return the base paired with it to your hand, and cycle the opponent's cards as normal. Your discards will not cycle. Discard any anted tokens as normal. Do not advance the beat timer, but start a new beat.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 20, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I ante Water.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
You don't really discard your special action though, do you? It doesn't go into your discard pile. You remove it from the game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

The opponent's negated attack pair cycles into their Discard Pile 1 as if it were a normal attack pair.

Here's a quick rewrite of Pulse's rules for clarity:

Okay sweet, that makes sense. Thanks man.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Wolery posted:

You don't really discard your special action though, do you? It doesn't go into your discard pile. You remove it from the game.

True. I'll change it. Chalk that one up to Lvl99's inconsistent use of terms (i.e. Runika "discarding" an artifact after an Overcharged style).

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

True. I'll change it. Chalk that one up to Lvl99's inconsistent use of terms (i.e. Runika "discarding" an artifact after an Overcharged style).

That and how everything in the game "activates". Argh!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Pass.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Wolery posted:

:frogsiren: Hikaru retreats 1 or 2 spaces. What'll it be?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1 space.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Woo, life loss cannot stun.

Before activating, I'll advance 1.

After activating, I'll pay 3 life.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Regain Fire.

Can't conquer Indines if you're on fire :haw:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beat 3

Oriana Vellopholetta
7 Life
Discard 1: Celestial | Drive
Discard 2: Metamagical | Strike
Finisher: Nihil Eraser
Magic Pool: x10

Iaxus the Shattered
20 Life
Discard 1: Folding | Tag
Discard 2: Diffuse | Grasp
Finisher: Zone Eater
Plane: Tidal

VS.

Lymn
20 Life
Discard 1: Chimeric | Visions
Discard 2: Maddening | Tag
Finisher: Conceit

Hikaru Sorayama
14 Life
Discard 1: Trance | Burst
Discard 2: Geomantic | Shot
Finisher: Four Winds
Elements: Water, Wind, Fire

-- Oriana does not ante anything.
-- Hikaru antes Wind.

-- Hikaru has Priority 7. Oriana has Priority 6. Hikaru is Active Player!

-- Hikaru advances 1!

-- Hikaru advances 1!

-- Advancing Wind Drive has Range 1. Oriana is at Range 1. Hikaru hits with the force of a great typhoon!
-- Oriana takes 5 damage and is stunned.

-- Oriana is stunned.

Wol fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 21, 2014

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Wolery posted:

:frogsiren: It's ante time!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Starting with Hikaru, yes?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Yes, yes. Faster firster.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wind. also why doesn't he get a Heart token >:(

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Wind. also why doesn't he get a Heart token >:(

Someone needs to request it for the Alt UA.

Pass.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I smell a tag-in coming!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Wolery posted:

:frogsiren: Hikaru, you have some movement from Advancing and Drive. How would you like to resolve it?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Well, I guessed incorrectly. I'm surprised you're going to let him bring Oriana down so far.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Advancing is move 1 not-optional, I want to move 1 with drive. Running circles around the evil overlady :jeb:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I guessed incorrectly. I'm surprised you're going to let him bring Oriana down so far.

I was anticipating a Fire ante, which would have killed Oriana before Tag could happen.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As far as I could tell, Advancing Drive with a Wind ante was a no-lose move.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Getting greedy and paying the 3 life was the mistake that will probably cost me this game.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does this match time out at 15 or 30?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Beat 4

Oriana Vellopholetta
2 Life
Discard 1: Unstable | Grasp
Discard 2: Celestial | Drive
Finisher: Nihil Eraser
Magic Pool: x10

Iaxus the Shattered
20 Life
Discard 1: Folding | Tag
Discard 2: Diffuse | Grasp
Finisher: Zone Eater
Plane: Tidal

VS.

Lymn
20 Life
Discard 1: Chimeric | Visions
Discard 2: Maddening | Tag
Finisher: Conceit

Hikaru Sorayama
14 Life
Discard 1: Advancing | Drive
Discard 2: Trance | Burst
Finisher: Four Winds
Elements: Water, Fire

-- Oriana does not ante anything.
-- Hikaru antes Fire.

-- Oriana places herself in the leftmost space and Hikaru in the rightmost space.

Wol fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 21, 2014

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Tollymain posted:

Does this match time out at 15 or 30?

Rulebook doesn't say anything about it. Let's say 30.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Submitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same.

*slowly turns to gaze at Wolery with hollow eyes*

• Locked thread