Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

FillInTheBlank posted:

I live on an island in south Pacific Ocean, does that count?

If your internet is good enough that you can actually watch a twitch stream I'm sure you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

There's A Really Cool Thing with this SGDQ that only a few people know about.

Hope ya'll like the surprise :getin:

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Studio posted:

Is it the Mystery Game

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Violently Car posted:

Is it the Mystery Game

There are two Really Cool Things that only a few people know about.

Hope ya'll like the surprises :getin: :getin:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm a big fan of live speedruns. I've watched quite a lot of the last few **DQ events.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

sweet, bananas is going to be there what months worth of questions i've asked her to answer; for months and months and being ignored, i may finally get a chance to engage in a conversation with her. i wonder if she uses any fruit incorporated hair gel?

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Studio posted:

I hope it's MV popping out of a couch cushion and singing the FFVI opera in five rotating languages.

'cause that would be a Really Cool Thing.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

BloodWulfe posted:

I hope it's MV popping out of a couch cushion and singing the FFVI opera in five rotating languages.

'cause that would be a Really Cool Thing.

He's going isn't he? So that'll probably happen anyways.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Is the really cool thing plush dolls of all my anime waifus?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Studio posted:

Blueglass is reading donation comments the entire week.

edit

FillInTheBlank posted:

Is the really cool thing plush dolls of all my anime waifus?

I think we might define 'cool thing' differently.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Originally I'd already be on the way to the airport right now, but Mike texted me overnight because his plane got delayed about 80 minutes because a flight attendant called in sick.

Marathon luck starts already.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Speaking of, good luck with everything UA. Looking forward to the Metal Storm run.

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came

UraniumAnchor posted:

Originally I'd already be on the way to the airport right now, but Mike texted me overnight because his plane got delayed about 80 minutes because a flight attendant called in sick.

Marathon luck starts already.
If the flight were missing a single flight attendant everyone on the plane would die from lack of timely peanut packages and we couldn't have that now could we.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Planes, like all autoscrollers, are the worst part of the run.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

Also what's everyone looking forward to the most? I got my eye on a bunch of races, Shatterhand should be hype as gently caress, especially since UA hasn't streamed his practice, TMNT IV should be fantastic as well, also forward to the X2 race, Tiki and Caleb are the obvious favorites to win but who knows, Pie might surprise us.

Also Striker running Return of the Jedi, watch that run, follow that man, Striker is the loving best.

I'm most looking forward to Mega Man 3, GTA 2, Kirby Super Star, Goldeneye, and Big Rigs, mostly just because I didn't even know you could technically beat Big Rigs. As with all the AGDQs, the fun comes in watching VODs and highlight/blooper reels for days/weeks/months to come based on hype and recommendations.

Crosspost from the speedrun thread: the TMNT IV, Mega Man X, and Mega Man X2 races will be the most hype. I hope they give the MMX2 race the AGDQ2014 Super Metroid race treatment with informed commentary and scripted donation readings. That could be the highlight of the entire marathon.

The Google Doc that was first released with the schedule had some really good Bonus Stream material listed, including a Ninja Gaiden pacifist run by Sinister1. Is there an updated link to that list that I've missed?

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

timp posted:

I hope they give the MMX2 race the AGDQ2014 Super Metroid race treatment with informed commentary and scripted donation readings. That could be the highlight of the entire marathon.

Go1den said that he asked the runners if they wanted that style of commentary but they apparently turned it down.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
:smith: That sucks. I wonder why they'd turn it down...

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

They wanted someone that knows a lot about MMX2, and most of the knowledgeable runners are running or don't want to do it

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Have there ever been any great catastrophic failures? Multi-hour runs that they gently caress up on the last boss with no save or anything?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

AGDQ2014 had the Fire Emblem run where the runner got all the worst RNG for levelups and got mercy killed after running half an hour or so over estimate.

The run got mercy killed, that is. Not the runner. Uyama's not THAT cruel.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There was also that Binding of Isaac run that was painful to watch because he seemed to only know Dr. Fetus runs (which require restarting until the first level coughs it up in the secret area or in the treasure room) and played sub-par when he continued on without it. He rage-quit either on fighting Mom or Mom's Heart.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KennyMan666 posted:

AGDQ2014 had the Fire Emblem run where the runner got all the worst RNG for levelups and got mercy killed after running half an hour or so over estimate.

The run got mercy killed, that is. Not the runner. Uyama's not THAT cruel.

Yea it was totally the run that got killed. :rolleyes:

Do not believe kenny's lies.

#Askquestions

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Tracula posted:

Have there ever been any great catastrophic failures? Multi-hour runs that they gently caress up on the last boss with no save or anything?

The closest thing I can think of is an Ape Escape (1?) 100% run at ESA that hard locked about halfway in, so they had to start over and do any% instead.

The Bayonetta thing was pretty close (AGDQ2011?), but thankfully there was another 360 that had a bunch of autosaves on it so it just got delayed while they dug up the other console.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
There was a Eternal Darkness run where the runner died at the end of a level 3 times, having to replay the whole level each time. He eventually gave up and skipped the level with level select.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

There's also that one infamous Halo run where the runner hadn't practiced in forever, was determined to run it on Legendary, and had only like two real skips to do.

He missed both, died multiple times to various poo poo, and the run was painful because it went on forever and he wasn't doing so hot during most of it. Thankfully the one during AGDQ was really goddamn good, and probably helped to clear up the stigma the series had for a while there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I am pumped as hell, though slightly less so since the JSRF run apparently won't happen.

Also I hope the runner doing Kirby's Dream Land doesn't get RNG'd to gently caress, because I think all but one boss in that is entirely RNG.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There was that one F-Zero GX run where everyone's brain exploded...

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Gettin' hyped for the Super Return of the Jedi run. Not for the game, but Striker's Empire run from AGDQ was a great watch.

Sadly my plans fell through to actually fly out there, but my vacation time still went through. Looking forward to fusing to my couch!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tracula posted:

There was that fantastic Pokemon Gold glitched run by Werster, which couldn't beat the champion in the Elite Four. Thanks to the nature of the glitch, it was impossible to go into a menu to heal your Pokemon, and Werster had forgotten to use the Pokecentre just before the Elite Four. He came very close to scraping through, but it required a huge amount of luck.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
La-Mulana remake or bust!!!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Alteisen posted:

Also what's everyone looking forward to the most?

Dishonored race between Sloth and the guy who donated to say "Hey, I just beat your record :smug:" at AGDQ should be pretty great. Mario 3 warpless I'll watch any time it's being run, simply because watching a (for lack of a better word) perfect 100% run of that game never fails to impress me.

The runs I'm looking forward to the most though are Psychonauts, StarTropics2 and DX:HR, for different reasons. I've never seen a speedrun of any of them and I expect that they'll be extremely interesting. Similarly, I hope that the Morrowind incentive gets met for the Fallout3 run, the main game of which no longer interests me overmuch.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Prizes and bids are now in the tracker, and there doesn't seem to be any grand prizes for this marathon.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tracula posted:

There was a New Super Mario Bros run a few marathons ago that some guy and his wife just played casually through with basically no skill or skips. Not sure how that got into the schedule but I think you can consider that a huge failure by several people.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I haven't watched one of these before, so I'm looking forward to checking this one out. It looks like they have a roster of a lot of cool stuff in the schedule. They'll have the archived video on their twitch page, right?

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Prizes and bids are now in the tracker, and there doesn't seem to be any grand prizes for this marathon.

Looks like they'll be adding more over time, there's quite a few prizes that I know of that still aren't on the tracker.

hubris.height posted:

I haven't watched one of these before, so I'm looking forward to checking this one out. It looks like they have a roster of a lot of cool stuff in the schedule. They'll have the archived video on their twitch page, right?

Not only that, they'll be uploaded to SDA's YouTube account as well!!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, we have a grand prize now. Updated info.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I'm pretty busted broke, but here's to hoping that I can scrounge some dollars to make a donation or two. I'm pretty goddamn hype for the Marathon.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Random Stranger posted:

I wonder if the C64 block is allowed to use a speed enhancer for their 1541...

Actually, I'm using a 1541 Ultimate Flash Drive. Which, while it lets me store all my disks on one little MicroSD, actually works the same as a 1541 drive, including loading speeds. :sigh: Unlike the NES flash carts, these don't affect gameplay at all since there's no mappers/hardware at all, just the disk file that is loaded in normally. But the cartridge does have the Epyx Fast Loader built in, so the Monty on the Run program should only take 4 minutes to load. (Forbidden Forest is much faster)

And speaking of horrific failures, I am SO READY to game over on Monty to RNG deaths. So... ready.... :ohdear:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'll definitely be watching the Treasure block, since my main speedrun game is also by Treasure. Other than definitely watching that, I'll just have it constantly on in the background when I'm not sleeping.

Twitter's gonna be hella fun this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ah man, no JSRF? Oh well.

• Locked thread