Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Datak is every cartoon villain rolled into one glorious scenery chewing hand job demanding skunk of a fun to hate jerk. I love it.

Also in the prison why was everyone rubbing chalk all over themselves? I wasn't sure if it was just dirt covering up the chalk or bad make up or something, but it looked way to apparent to be a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I was thinking maybe everyone was trying to fit in or something. Seems like they never explained it, but I only saw the literal white aliens in there and then humans with chalk on their faces. Wonder if that will just be a little back thing that never gets brought up again. I didn't learn much about the prison outside of hand jobs and that weird slatted fence communication system Datak loved shoving his face into.

This season is good so far, I'm a fan of the show but man alive, I checked out the contest website, https://www.defiantfew.com and it is absurdly bad. Like, high school fan made bad. The page itself won't quite fit on my 1080p monitor, even with full screen browsing. The movies are terrible, the drat static that shows this is a sketchy message being sent in secret goes off at EVERY SINGLE LINE BREAK in the dialog. And the game itself, man alive, you click on dudes who pop up and shoot them before their bullets shoot you. But the guys randomly spray bullets and randomly pop up. So one time a guy will shoot once and stand there, then shoot 50 times. The bullets also come out of their center, not anywhere near the gun they are pointing.

It's just mindbogglingly bad, I don't see how this helps the show in any way.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Astroman posted:

One thing I was thinking about today was that it might be really cool to have some flashbacks to before the war. It may be a bit beyond the scope of the show's budget, but it would be neat. One thing that doesn't really get emphasized enough unless you read the EU stuff is that there was a what, 20-25 year period post Contact and before the Pale Wars/Arkfall where you had humans and Votans integrating and their cultures mixing? A fully functional, near future world with intact national governments, media, corporations, and international pop culture all with aliens from seven races thrown in the mix. It might give us more of an insight into the culture that we see here. It's influenced by a lot more then just the rearranging of the ecology and the wars.

Nolan mentions remembering GPS and drones, he was probably born around the turn of the century and might have remembered a few years of his childhood where there were no aliens. Guys like Rafe would have been born even before that, and were young adults when it all went down...not just the war, but the contact and the cultural changes after that. I'd like to see that.

Got any EU links that are official and not like fan fiction? The show is doing a bad job of explaining the situation of the world and how things got that way for me. I'd love to know more about the races and events leading up to the start of season 1. I'm not sure the show ever plans on covering that stuff however, I don't see them fitting in a lot of "this stuff happened" catch up unless they go full tilt and actually time travel.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Okay, so the timeline helps a bit, but I'm still not sure why Datak and his wife talk about leaving Casti and bringing three items with them on the ark. If that happened 3000 years ago (BCE is before current events right?) then their timelines don't make sense, until Casti live for thousands of years or the Arks didn't take 3000 years to reach earth.

Also I had no idea about the glowing balls of energy being a race. drat, this show has a lot of backstory, I hope they bring some of it out before it all gets canceled and tossed away.

Also :lol:
"Due to a series of nuclear meltdowns and biological mutations brought on by Arkfall, the State of Florida is declared a quarantine zone."

And I found this, didn't know about this: http://www.defiance.com/en/series/video/2764291

It bridges the gap between season 1 and the start of 2, some web episodes.

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 6, 2014

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Weren't most of the aliens in cryostasis or something throughout the journey? It seems like back in S1 when Nolan and Irisa were stealing that artifact off of a crashed ship, there were still aliens in statis, although they'd die due to various system failures. I'd assume the conflict were starting to see unfold in Irisa's flashbacks or visions is what led to the Votans being woken up in Earth's orbit and eventually led to the Pale Wars.

Dunno about the Kaziri under Defiance/St. Louis, maybe it was an advanced scout or something? Doesn't seem too improbable that the ships may have been spread out some distance from one another or even simply sent out in different directions to improve their chance of finding a livable planet.

Oh, that might explain more why they couldn't bring much stuff, anything they had would have been in statis too or it probably would have fell apart or whatever.

So the Voltan collective decided to sweep up any aliens in the area and travel to Earth, making deals with some, but I don't see why they brought the Iraths and in the greatest numbers. Nothing on the page says they held any power or reason over the collective to transport so many of them and they all seem kind of like they don't care much for spaceships and lasers and all that, so I doubt they made the technology. Did they ever say why the indogenes would bother with them, but then also it looks like in the flashbacks they scouted out earth and kind of messed up.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

XboxPants posted:

BCE is "before common era", same as BC but with less Christian dogma.

Ahh, okay, so that was 5,000 years ago instead of 3,000. That was mixing me up too.

This is a fun show and I enjoy it, but yeah, I feel not enough people watch it to keep it going longer and they seem to sink a lot of money into go nowhere things like their advertising and that game that blew up. I think they are banking too much on people "researching" the back story to make sense of it when people just want to watch stuff. I'm pulling for it however, Datak is amazing, Nolan is awesome, the show pokes enough fun at itself, I just hope it has time and budget to keep growing and they get a new marketing team.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The Mayor might just be troubled by his past and his addictions, maybe he will turn into a likable character or have some redemption, but I can't get a peg on him being a "total bad guy" yet. I'm sure he will keep causing poo poo with Nolan cause he's the nice guy the former mayor should be with.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

haveblue posted:

I can. Remember that he put a spy camera in Amanda's boudoir and got her to switch to him as her dealer. I'm even wondering if his story about school abuse was even true or another trick.

I'm saying in terms of this show, the bad guys have been pretty cartoonishly blatant and obvious. I also thought this might be an arc change for him, and we get sympathy for the sniveling bad guy character who is still a jerk and under the boot of the EDC, but you can see why he did something and Amanda would be like "No Nolan, don't beat him to death".

Letting Datak live was a mistake for them, but good for us viewers. I can't imagine this show without him.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I think they do that dumb language thing because they are really proud of the fact they literally sat down and made a language system for them, not just random words. Also because it is a TV show and sometimes you gotta avoid subtitles cause "We ain't gunna read no space gibberish".

During the Ark Falls, the ships all crashed and randomly terraformed Earth right? Like they made them so neat they just blow up and make stupid alien plants that eat flesh or whatever. I understand the Ark was sent here to terraform, but it seems a bit silly it would do it so well if the stupid ships blew up or whatever happened to them.

But I like this show, so I don't dig too deep on stuff, I'm sure they will tell me what I need to know and if I get the bug I can read up on it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

johntfs posted:

He's also been called a war criminal.

It seems the crowds(mobs) in Defiance are easily and often swayed, so one day he is "That evil scum that shot a kid pointing and shooting a gun like object at the mayor" and the next he is "That cool guy who saved us this completely evil tyrannical woman who keeps us all under her boots"

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 13, 2014

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

johntfs posted:

Well, actually, he saved the "completely evil tyrannical woman who keeps us all under her boots" and the crowd seemed extremely happy that this occurred. Presumably the velvet glove that Stahma wears over her iron fist is really really soft and fluffy.

Whoops, yeah, that is what I mean. They cheer him on when he saved what is most likely their most dangerous slum lord leader. I can see why they would like her, mainly out of fear and respect, but it is just funny how the crowd turned like that. I didn't think anyone would give Nolan poo poo over plugging that kid outside of the election debates, he literally saved the entire town from the Volm.

I'm not clear on those dudes, was that just a one time army, do they sit around waiting? Are there more? That force attacking Defiance in the first season looked incredibly dangerous.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Boogaleeboo posted:

The Volge are massive assholes that nobody likes, or has every liked, and nobody knows who snuck them on the Arks in the first place. They aren't even really *from* the Votan system like the others, they just showed up one day and started kicking rear end. All they do is try to stomp dudes and take over. After the war on Earth ended, they went underground and have been hiding out.

It's probably the ball of light guys loving with people huh? Who knows what is going on, but they just seemed like one time boogy men to round everyone in Defiance together. I'm guessing in Star Trek terms they are borg, hope we don't get nice ones floating around in later seasons.

Stahma does seem like the better choice than Datak, but she is cruel, where Datak is just angry and short sighted. He's the buffoon waving a plastic knife around, she is the person making him want to do it. It's a great dynamic and I'm glad to see them split them up and interested to see where this goes.

Also I like the cranky doctor, she might be doing some interesting stuff aside from sneaking around parts for people and playing Minority Report with alien interfaces.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Astroman posted:

Don't you mean the Espheni? :v:

My bet on Datak's next move is he gives up trying to retake his criminal empire and goes full Boyd Crowder. Becomes a spiritual leader. Datak gon' testify to the Casti Lord! Hallelujah!

Volge, Volm, Volkswagen, the reptile aliens in the show V, that's a lot to keep straight.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Astroman posted:

Datak may not be entirely incompetent as a businessman or gangster leader, but he is indisputably horrible at reading those closest to him.

I think his biggest problem is he is genuinely shocked and surprised when somebody outsmarts him, which seems to happens most of the time. I just love they way he pulls that off, patting his own back before the plan has resolved, confident he has total mastery over all.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Astroman posted:

He legitimately thought he could choke the poo poo out of Stahma and take away her power and she'd be totes cool with that because of the rightful place of Casti women, or that Alak would just accept the punishment of having his hand mutilated with "right on Pop, lesson learned. I'm be your right hand man from now on, no pun intended!" The idea that his actions could hurt them or have consequences to how they felt about him or might not be appropriate in the modern world is just incomprehensible to him.

Yeah, I think that is part of it. He just got off the ship (FOS?) and before that he lived on a planet ruled by men and strict cultural rules about power and respect. It's like a mob planet and now his wife got a taste of earth freedom and she adapted amazingly well to it while he is still running around going "What do you mean, I'm a man, you have to listen to me". It is a very cool dynamic, like dropping a Klingon into a hippie commune of vegans.

I think the show also established that Datak was NEVER the brains, by revealing that Stahma saved them on the ship, when the story was Datak did. He couldn't come up with a plan that isn't "stab that guy". It's really fun to see his pomp and circumstance get deflated and hopefully we are left with the vicious rat that he is. I can't imagine they would let him "out smart" her, he has to muscle her.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

johntfs posted:

I think it's a little more complicated than that. When we meet Stahma and Datak in the first season, they seem to be partners of a kind. There's one point where Stahma is doing her manipulations and Datak flat out says, "Don't handle me, Stahma." Datak's been "off the ship" for probably twenty years or more. He and Stahma were young when they entered hypersleep and were likely some of the first to be awakened when the ship came to Earth. As I recall it, Alak was born on Earth. When Datak killed in the first season, he generally did so in response to some extreme cultural or emotional provocation.

The last nine-ten months have seen intense changes for Datak and Stahma. Stahma has been forced to grow from a behind-the-scenes manipulator into a person who can take and hold power in her own right. Meanwhile, stuck in prison, Datak has regressed into the vicious street rat he was before he left. He's completely lost his "velvet glove" and has only a rusty iron fist in its place.

My mistake, the show was leaning pretty heavily in the start of "Let them have their strange customs of wracking people in public" and I took that for their newer integration into the society, instead of it being Nolan's introduction to it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, weird that the Gulanee haven't really shown up at all.

I think balls of light that talk is a little hard to introduce to a new show, they probably want to wait until fans are grounded and reveal them once things are set in. The show would have a really weird vibe if giant balls of light walked around with everyone else. I think the Volge are basically monsters on a stick they swing at the plot, and probably the light ball dudes will be the ones doing the swinging.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Baron von der Loon posted:

I couldn't really hear what the deal was with the ERep guy's hallucination, something about everyone laughing at him back in the day. What was that about?

The mayor dude is pretty hosed up, he seemed to be a good villain that was made by other people's actions. I wasn't sure if he was just terrible, and while he is terrible, it seems like there is a lot of backstory there that somebody did a pretty good number on him to make him that messed up and he kind of knows it. I like that part of his story.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm sure Nolan would give somebody a hand job for information on an urgent case, tbh

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

johntfs posted:

I am kidding here. I am not issuing such a challenge. Please, for the love of Jesus Christ don't all of you be writing Datak/Rafe slash fiction. Please.

I'm available to do any artwork for this btw, let's show our fan support.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Xoidanor posted:

Pottinger is actually kinda refreshing as a villain simply because of just how much he hates himself over the decisions he makes.

That is what I was thinking with not knowing where to land on the guy. He might become a really good "enemy of my enemy" good guy later on, but still be a shithead because, well, he can't help it.

That white face scene near the end was edging into Twin Peaks absurdity for me, it was so wonderfully out of place and uncomfortable. I can't imagine it being anything but a fetish that isn't fooling anyone, kind of like blatant cross dressing and also I'd be interested in learning more about the face painting in the prison camps, clearly there is some kind of tribute or assimilation thing going on with people who want to be liked by them.

Also sad to see bio-man go :( he just wanted to pet the rabbits

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

bull3964 posted:

The Alak/Christie situation does bring up some interesting conflict for Stahma. She's going through a lot of effort with this sort of Casti womens lib movement, but now she faces having to tell Alak to get his wife back in line.

I suspect Datak is going to use this as an example to try to knock Stahma down a few pegs.

I love where this stuff is going this season, really interesting way to explore the alien cultures. I'm hoping this brings Stahma and Christie closer, for relatable reasons. They both have trouble with their husbands and Stahma was really leaning on Christie to adopt the casti ways and looks. I think she might take her under her wing, as a daughter figure.

Also I can't get enough of that dude singing and dancing and getting really creepy in casti-cosplay.

And I think Pottinger is going to get squeezed out and maybe work as a Datak type Ally for the town, helping them out, but helping himself out more. Should be interesting, reminds me of what I'd like to see in Falling Skies' Pope character, just not so cartoonishly bi-polar and flippant.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Welp, that last scene confirmed it: Nolan's gonna die.

Again, ain't no deal for the No-man. He'll get to hell and have sex with the sexy devil and punch his way back to life.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but inducing dreams by repeatedly slashing your own wrists is not normally part of that.

Hey, it is a step down from shooting yourself in the face.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can't wait to see how they retcon Kenya back into the series.

Probably that robot thing I'd imagine, everyone is coming back from the dead as robots. I don't recall her getting hurt during the episode, so not sure. Her timeline doesn't match up for the robot, because that was before anyone unlocked it right? Or was it after sexy chewbacca made the deal with the robot god?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It seems a lot more likely that the "Poison just paralyzed her" theory was correct.

Didn't Stahma dump her in a patch of those plants that disolve human flesh or something? I remember somebody talking about them, how long would her body have been out there paralyzed?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

etalian posted:

yeah last season had the plot arc about votan infiltrators.

Is there any tactical advantage for this? I can't think of a reason why anyone would bother to impersonate her (Amanda doesn't have any pull in the town really) and I'd be interested to see how Stahma reacts to her "return".

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

johntfs posted:

I like the way they keep reminding us that despite her hilarious snark and one-liners, Doc Yewll really is kind of a horrible (non)human being.

Yeah, she isn't even in the "watching my own skin" zone anymore, she is like straight up legit horrible and dangerous. She might be this season's real bad guy, she had a lot of stuff spinning last season too, but man, this is just evil stuff. Plus she wouldn't jerk off Datek in the prison, that is just cruel.

Stahma freaking out was great, I love when her carefully crafted lizard like calm is broken, also funny that basically getting dirt on her ridiculous fur coat was the breaking point.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

etalian posted:

Nolan uses sex to solve mysteries

I don't get it, I punched her, then made love to her, and punched her while making love to her. I should have this week's mystery wrapped up by now!

The only thing that bothered me was Nolan figuring out she was a clone or something fishy with the missing scars and just told her to "wait right here and don't be evil or crazy, bbiab" when he should have just took her with him so she couldn't rage out and run away.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

FISHMANPET posted:

And then Berlin is like "sure I'll have a three way, as long as I know her name."

Then it cuts to Tommy and Pottinger looking through the window from the outside, crying and masturbating

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

savinhill posted:

The show gets positive reviews from what I've seen, so hopefully that helps it get renewed. As long as the ratings aren't dismal I'd think it'd be back but this is Syfy. If they don't want it maybe one of the many new content distributors will pick it up.

I think the show hits a wide demographic, of typically not "sci-fi" viewers. I've been talking with some people who I would never imagine to enjoy they show, and they love it too. So hopefully that helps with the ratings.

Lexx is on netflix, isn't it? I was thinking about watching it, but ehh, I'm struggling with Farscape as is. I wish they had Stargate SG1 streaming.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Linda Hamilton, the perfect crazy mom to deal with the pending robot invasion. This show is just perfect.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

GreenNight posted:

A 20 year old record is modern music? When I was a kid in the 80s, my parents listed to the "oldies" station which was music from the 60s. Hole is now considered an oldie.

Rage Against the music we listened to as kids making us elderly now

I enjoy most of the music, I think it is neat and get a little sad when episodes don't end with some kind of music montage. I'm also missing creepy casti cosplay dude.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Didn't they have no way to control the purple death lasers? The two keys kind of hosed that all up and made a vow to keep themselves separated so it would never activate the thing.

Nolan was great, going on a punch rampage and taking that taser, oh man!

Loved Berlin losing her poo poo and laughing like a maniac after being saved by Datak too

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

muscles like this? posted:

A big change to the setting is that it looks like all the remnants of the Ark fleet were destroyed.

I wonder if that means more chances of alien tech falling down, more ark falls or did everything just turn into dust?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
That is a bit of a bummer then, it probably means we won't see much of the energy people that need suits to live, didn't they all hide out on the ships up there or did they all come to earth?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

tarlibone posted:

Well, Nolan seemed to be very familiar with them (and he's obviously not the only one), so while some were in space, there were also some on the ground. Don't know how many, though, since they need some kind of containment to live.

I wonder if there's still tons of debris around the Earth at this point. Yeah, the ships were blown up, but that doesn't mean everything in orbit was completely pulverized. Sooner or later, it'd be nice if air travel were restored, but I don't see how turning giant orbiting ships into tiny chunks of debris is going to help things.

Yeah Pottinger mentioned they could travel, but it sounded like he meant by boat or something. I hope they don't open up space or air travel. I like things being forced to deal with transportation issues. I hate sci-fi that has no worries about moving stuff around or getting to places, it just seems like a giant shortcut. But I will admit in the finale it seemed like Nolan just zipped over to get the other dude with the key in him, wasn't he in Chicago? That's like a 4 or 5 hour one way trip!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Boogaleeboo posted:

Not just New York, the Votanis Collective in South America lost an equal caliber city. World got hosed up in a short time.

Which makes me hopeful next season all there is to do is have Nolan punch, gently caress and drink things while the Tars run around playing sexy mob bosses.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I couldn't be more mad at the world if Defiance doesn't get picked up for seasons 3-10. This show is too good, while far shittier shows (FAILING SKIES) keep turding along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

muscles like this? posted:

I have a feeling that Defiance might be a little too expensive for anyone to "save" if it got canceled.

But yet they said "Hey lets take that terrible movie Legion and make it into a terrible show".

I don't get TV producers at all, they are really just insane people throwing money at the wall and seeing what sticks, then knocking over the wall and eating their own turds.

• Locked thread