Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
How do I j4g? Because playing with pubs in this game is the biggest loving waste of time imaginable. I've managed to play one game where the host didn't randomly drop within the first five minutes. It was fun. We got stuck in the mud. Then we got unstuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

tater_salad posted:

I've got an nvidia 210, what seems to make it skippy in the tech demo is probably the low clock speed 600mhz and low speed memory bus.

Well, that GPU is twice around as fast as the HD6290. Does the tech demo have adjustable graphic settings? I'm running on low settings and suprisingly I am GPU-bound.

This is the third time I'm trying to deliver the load on the B-130

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

TerminalBlue posted:

I um... got my first achievement a minute or two into the game.

Heh. My only achievement so far is "Diver". No idea how I survived that.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

You won't fit between those trees.

I tried driving between two trees but my angle was a bit off due to lovely camera angles. So I backed up to readjust and somehow got stuck between a tree in front and behind me. Permanently stuck too, there was basically no give at all. Also in the very first minute I started playing I drove across one bridge and then fell off the next one. Spintires is the dark souls of sim games.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Spintires prepare to get stuck.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
any of you guys using mods such as new vehicles and whatnot?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I've only played the tech demo thus far but goddamn are there some sexy-good vehicles for it, so I fully intend on adding extras when I get the full version.

Simply Bagel
Feb 26, 2007

Mr. Pilkington
I bought this the other day after reading the kotaku article and am almost at twenty hours already. I've wanted to play multiplayer with people who don't drop in the first five minutes so i've made a Steam group for anyone looking for a winching buddy.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goontires

This is the first time I have made a steam group so I hope I did everything right.

Username: SimplyBagel

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

so on the first map I found that big 8 wheeled beast with 4 turning wheels but it was out of fuel

I took that truck that comes with the crane up to the garage, removed the crane, put on a fuel tanker, took it over clear to the other side of the map where I'd seen a fuel depot while I was scouting with the UAZ or whatever it is, filled it up and went back to the 8 wheeled beast only to discover a loaded fuel truck nearby

oh well, I eventually got the 8 wheeled beast loaded up with some short logs and delivered 2 units worth before calling it a night

before that I tried to deliver some logs with that blue truck with chains on the back tires, but I rolled it on 3 separate occasions

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 22, 2014

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This game is QWOP with trucks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been rocking this thing all week. I'm pretty good i think. I had a :filez: version, then i bought it.
Gotta say though, in 5760x1080, it's amazing!!!
I've joined the Goontires group.

I have a small TS server setup if needed.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 22, 2014

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't know if it's that wise to own up to pirating games.

I hope there isn't some kind of limit to the size of maps. I can't wait for the inevitable huge endurance map. Coop "get from A to B" would be really cool.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Is the Sisyphus achievement just bugged? It seems to be the first one everyone gets; I got it my first time playing and I'm almost certain I didn't meet the requirements.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ovaries posted:

Is the Sisyphus achievement just bugged? It seems to be the first one everyone gets; I got it my first time playing and I'm almost certain I didn't meet the requirements.

Nope, I only have Diver, not Sisyphus.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I think some internal value rolls over when you roll back with your handbrake on or something, as soon as I got it (before leaving the starting area for the first time) the progress value was some colossal number.

Al Harrington posted:

so on the first map I found that big 8 wheeled beast with 4 turning wheels but it was out of fuel

I took that truck that comes with the crane up to the garage, removed the crane, put on a fuel tanker, took it over clear to the other side of the map where I'd seen a fuel depot while I was scouting with the UAZ or whatever it is, filled it up and went back to the 8 wheeled beast only to discover a loaded fuel truck nearby
I did exactly this. :(

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 22, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrOnBicycle posted:

I don't know if it's that wise to own up to pirating games.

I hope there isn't some kind of limit to the size of maps. I can't wait for the inevitable huge endurance map. Coop "get from A to B" would be really cool.

To be fair i didn't pirate it. I downloaded it off pirate bay thinking it was the techdemo. 300 meg?

There are techdemo's with full mods setup on there.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
There is also the closed kickstarter only versions that aren't supposed to be leaked. Oh well, just giving you a heads up. :)

lastworkivy
Jun 22, 2014
Looks like a pretty awesome physics sandbox.. Gotta get my hands on it ASAP

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrOnBicycle posted:

There is also the closed kickstarter only versions that aren't supposed to be leaked. Oh well, just giving you a heads up. :)

Like i said i bought it, through steam.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just spent a couple of hours doing two player coop. So much fun. And mud. Driving the same path while loaded up with logs and helping each other out with winching when necessary made for a great experience. It probably helped that we had two computers set up side by side. Trying to pull a tipped over truck on its wheels with the car turned out to be too difficult however. The vehicles really need winch spots on the sides.

Simply Bagel
Feb 26, 2007

Mr. Pilkington
Playing this game with pubs is the worst. How can someone be so bad at driving a tuck through mud?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Impatience is the worse sin in this game, at least with hubris you can actually do some cool stuff occasionally like climbing a steep hill covered with trees.

Incidentally just because there are some places you can drive at full throttle on fifth gear doesn't mean you should.

Simply Bagel
Feb 26, 2007

Mr. Pilkington
During that game on The River I did get the optimus prime truck from the starting garage to the garage to the far east garage hauling a garage trailer (4 points!) by going slow and getting lucky with winch points.(Listening to The Touch also helped a bit.) I think the most common thing I have had to tell pubs in multiplayer is that you can't just how down the winching button, you actually have to drive the vehicle while winching.

What do you guys listen to while playing this? I've found CCR goes really with with this game.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Drum n Bass. Some dirty jump up/jungle gets the job done.

Poil posted:

I just spent a couple of hours doing two player coop. So much fun. And mud. Driving the same path while loaded up with logs and helping each other out with winching when necessary made for a great experience. It probably helped that we had two computers set up side by side. Trying to pull a tipped over truck on its wheels with the car turned out to be too difficult however. The vehicles really need winch spots on the sides.

IF you get the tow vehicle on the side facing the chassis, and winch the the highest tow point, it should flip easy, but not always

I use the crane a lot too, swing it it either extended right out flat as a counter balance, or on the lee side of the bog to stop it rolling. On the Volcano map i carry a big loving rock with me for extra weight on the arm

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 23, 2014

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Would anyone like to share some tips for not getting stuck in the mud? Post your favorite mud strats.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
1: Don't stop.

2: Avoid the mud if you can.

3: Don't stop.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Would anyone like to share some tips for not getting stuck in the mud? Post your favorite mud strats.

SPINTIRES

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Hey, we're back!

Simply Bagel made a Steam group for Spintires: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goontires

Giant Bomb did a Quick Look of Spintires: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-spintires/2300-9155/

Adding both to the OP as well.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

While the forums were down I learned that you can pick up trucks using the log-crane. So far the easiest way to flip a truck if you can't get a good angle for winching is to grab a tire with the crane arm and try to swing it over.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just saw these over on Giant Bomb, if you doubt the realism here (or need some inspiration):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LGGxp8ujxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqtsjda4U3I

Soviet logging is fuckin cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey someone winched the forums out of the russian bog.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Oh hey someone winched the forums out of the russian bog.

:golfclap:

there was some update through windows and now my xbox controller doesn't work with this game, so that's fantastic

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Spintires: Uh-Oh! The truck have stopped to move!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The quicklook sold me on this game and I'm just going to repeat what others have been saying in that Holy Cow, this is practically a puzzle game! If they get around to implementing a different solution for the camera, this might be the beginning of something amazing. :allears:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I can't believe how many hours i've put into this game. I've completed two of the maps, one of them twice. I know the OP says it's different but it's got the zen thing of euro truck simulator except instead of weaving a truck full of acid between traffic at 70mph you're weaving a truck full of garage parts through trees at 4mph.

Also, i think the thread title needs to be changed to Ural Truck Simulator. :v:

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 26, 2014

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This game is phenomenal, I can't believe how fun it is.

I had a great multiplayer experience with some random guy; the sense of camaraderie when you winch each other out of the poo poo is just crazy.

There are so many minor accomplishments along the way to failure that are so satisfying... it brings a lot of the joy I get out of serious flight sims, but without the helmet fire that goes along with dealing with all those systems. Spintires distills the sim experience down in a unique way.

It also looks great. :pcgaming:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So glad to see a thread for this game. I've beaten Hill, Coast, and Plains on normal with some self-set "rules" (hardcores too hardcore). Okay, one rule - each vehicle only gets one "recover to garage." And I realllly need to be hosed to use it. hosed like "4 trucks stuck in the same mudpit on plains because I'm an idiot" stuck. Its the best part of this game. Getting successive vehicles stuck in almost the same place because "I know I can drive around and then I'll have a better angle and can winch myself out if I start to slide." You can't drive around.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I took 5 hours to finish Volcano on hardcore. Because i once rolled my long trailer on a beach, and once in a very tight gully. I refused to restart it or go back and reload.

I went a bit road rage trying to drive my Kraz around refilling 8x8's. I got blind navigation for that feat of endurance.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rocksicles posted:

I took 5 hours to finish Volcano on hardcore. Because i once rolled my long trailer on a beach, and once in a very tight gully. I refused to restart it or go back and reload.

I went a bit road rage trying to drive my Kraz around refilling 8x8's. I got blind navigation for that feat of endurance.

drat, not bad. I was 12 hours on my first "Coast" clear, but it was when I just got the game and I spent way too long just banging around looking for ways to get stuck.

Now I'm working and want to play Spintires. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Really enjoying this game, tho there is only 2 problems with it, a lack of goons in the group chat and the bloody camera is aweful at times and hopfully a fix is not far off for it

• Locked thread