Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Does the first game ever get fun or is it just shoot random guys with never enough bullets or proper weapons, watch cut scene, continue to shoot random guys with poo poo weapons as you try to use the terrible controls to get to the next cut scene.

Also are the next two games just this badly paced? Tomb Raider at least let you go back and do poo poo and the levels were not just big long one way corridors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
1. The latter

2. Yes for the second game because I never played 3.

3. Which Tomb Raider? Old-school, first reboot, or Tomb Raider Begins?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Action Tortoise posted:

1. The latter

2. Yes for the second game because I never played 3.

3. Which Tomb Raider? Old-school, first reboot, or Tomb Raider Begins?

The new reboot that's getting a sequel.

I'm noticing that uncharted just never lets you branch off the path. It's just a really strange design choice.. There's like no secret rooms or anything.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Everyone was like new Tomb Raider was a cheap and awful ripoff of Uncharted. But Tombraider seemed to have better level design and combat, because enemies take like half your ammo to down sometimes in Uncharted.

That and it helped to carry more than 2 guns.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Uncharted's more fun if you play it as a beat 'em up with a cover system.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CharlestonJew posted:

Uncharted's more fun if you play it as a beat 'em up with a cover system.

I have like no health ever, and that square triangle square poo poo doesn't ever seem to connect.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Taint Reaper posted:

I have like no health ever, and that square triangle square poo poo doesn't ever seem to connect.

its because you're playing uncharted 1. stop playing uncharted 1.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the train level in uncharted 2 is pretty cool.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CharlestonJew posted:

its because you're playing uncharted 1. stop playing uncharted 1.

But will 2 make no sense then?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

what are you dense.

all vidgame trilogies start at the second one. only suckers play the first worst one.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Pumroy posted:

what are you dense.

all vidgame trilogies start at the second one. only suckers play the first worst one.

Do you ever see that White girl again in Uncharted 2 or 3? Or does she just blow you off after the jet ski thing?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Do you ever see that White girl again in Uncharted 2 or 3? Or does she just blow you off after the jet ski thing?

man if you don't even wanna find out yourself why not just watch the let's play?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Action Tortoise posted:

man if you don't even wanna find out yourself why not just watch the let's play?

Let's Plays are a dark path to go down.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Taint Reaper posted:

Spoilers I guess. Drake and the girl live happily ever after until the 2nd game. then it happens again in the 3rd game. and will probably happen again in the 4th game.

Dec 26, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Everyone was like new Tomb Raider was a cheap and awful ripoff of Uncharted.

taint reaper were you reading games again? because dont do that

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

what are you dense.

look at this nerd who never played stalker

although the first game is second in chronology so

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Play Uncharted 2 and thats it.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
for some reason uncharted 2 is the only one in the series that sort of manages to find a balance of platforming cover shooting and puzzle solving

the others are pretty much all cover shooting so i hope u really liked gears of war

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Play Uncharted 2 and thats it.

Hard to argue with this unless you like walking aimlessly in a desert. Games as art my rear end.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mung Dynasty posted:

for some reason uncharted 2 is the only one in the series that sort of manages to find a balance of platforming cover shooting and puzzle solving

the others are pretty much all cover shooting so i hope u really liked gears of war

Cover shooting is the pinnacle of gaming.

Wait no it's the opposite.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm noticing that uncharted just never lets you branch off the path. It's just a really strange design choice.. There's like no secret rooms or anything.

there's hidden loot throughout the second game. you can't do poo poo with them but they're totally there if you know how to get to them.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Uncharted 3 is bad because you cant unlock Donut Drake in SP.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I thought Uncharted was okay but then the monsters show up and the combat goes from eh to awful real fast. That's why I only ever finished the Vita one, it had no stupid monsters.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

zen death robot posted:

The new Tomb Raider is pretty good and isn't really like Uncharted

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
New Tomb Raider had dumb Uncharted things like climbing up a collapsing surface that doesn't actually fall out from under you so you're never in real danger or boring gun shooty stuff instead of actual gameplay.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

BottledBodhisvata posted:

New Tomb Raider had dumb Uncharted things like climbing up a collapsing surface that doesn't actually fall out from under you so you're never in real danger or boring gun shooty stuff instead of actual gameplay.

I wouldn't call tomb raider's gunplay boring. The weapon upgrade system added a bunch of stuff to it and the combat felt fine for using things like the bow.

The game had scripted events yes, but every modern action game since the PS1/N64 era has things like that. The fighting QTEs were also optional to finish opponents unlike God of War where it was mandatory. It just gave you different ways for downing opponents. My only complaint would be having a more in depth stealth system like metal gear so you could move the bodies of the dead guys or give more ways to dispose of them.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 20, 2014

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Uncharted 3 had really well-done 3D effects.

sexy cougar on the prowl
Dec 31, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

holding the analog stick forward while stuff explodes around you is very compelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lewie posted:

holding the analog stick forward while stuff explodes around you is very compelling

Literally every action game since the 32 bit consoles have done this. Including Metal Gear.

And that's not even a whole big segment either you're talking maybe less than 30 seconds.

• Locked thread