Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pac-Man: A game about gluttony that’s been ported to every system that anyone cares about and plenty that no one does. Everyone knows what this game is, even your grandma. Somehow, there are still arguments in Smash Bros threads about whether he’s a relevant character in today’s video game culture, and that’s dumb, who cares. Pac-Man rules. Let’s talk about Pac-Man and his weird sequels and spinoffs. Make tier lists, fan art, whatever it is you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFb6hCFwe2w

I’ll start with the arcade games, even though the most important title, Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, was a console title.

Arcade Titles:

Almost all Pac games involve running around mazes eating dots, ghosts, and fruit/garbage. The best game in the series doesn’t, but we’ll get to that. Pac-Man (1980) was a huge hit for Namco, and Midway was quick to both license it for Western distribution and create their own knockoffs.

The most famous was Ms. Pac-Man (1982), an obviously better game than the original and starred gaming’s first well-rounded female hero. That same year, Midway also released Pac-Man Plus, which is basically the original game with some cosmetic differences and power ups that sometimes turn either the ghosts or the mazes invisible. Turns out that wasn’t fun at all, and no one really remembers this one.

The first official Namco sequel is 1982’s Super Pac-Man. The dots are gone, replaced by apples which are kept behind locked doors. Players eat keys to open doors, Power Pellets to turn ghosts blue and eat them, and Super Pellets to grow stupid huge and rampage through doors. It’s pretty good, but Ms. Pac-Man’s still the better game.

1983 gave us two more Pac games, so anyone complaining about games getting too many sequels today is really dumb. Midway’s Jr. Pac-man is the classic game but set in way bigger, scrolling mazes and you eat bikes like Homer did when he became Krusty. As the bikes/kites/trash you eat wanders the playing field it fattens up any dots it touches, making them worth more points but taking longer to eat.

Namco’s sequel this year was Pac & Pal, in which Pac-Man teams up with a green ghost girl named Miru who steals your junk. Like Super Pac-man, the game’s all about unlocking doors, but this time you’re flipping over cards instead of eating keys. Power ups include a trumpet, a snowman, the car from Rally-X, and more. Each lets you burp out different projectile attacks. You can finally kill your enemies with the power of brass.

It’s a close tie for “weirdest arcade Pac game” between Pac Land (1984), a pretty bad platformer that’s getting resurrected as a stage in Smash Bros 4, and Professor Pac-Man, a game where players answer really dumb multiple choice questions. To Midway’s surprise, no one wanted to play a game where you have to identify differences between shapes and Namco severed their relationship shortly after its release. Pac Land isn’t a good game, but at least it’s not Professor Pac-Man, and you can jump on top of cars and hit on giant fairy women.

In 1987, Namco released Pac-Mania, a traditional Pac maze game with an isometric view of the field. Players can jump over ghosts, the music rules, and there’s way more ghosts than usual. Since your field of view is pretty limited, it’s easy to get cornered. This game’s appeared in a bunch of collections but it’s still fairly obscure.

The final classic style Pac-man game released in arcades was 1996’s Pac-Man Arrangement, which was on a multigame machine that also included remixes of Dig Dug and Rally-X. most people who have played this game probably played it in the Game Boy Advance Pac-Man Collection. It features a couple of different speed power ups, boss fights, environmental doodads to mess with, and simultaneous multiplayer. The title was reused for a home version released on the PSP, Xbox 360, and PS3, and while the newer Arrangement shares plenty of elements with the 1996 version, it’s actually a different game with totally different mazes.

Jumping up to the modern day we have 2011’s Pac-Man Battle Royale, a four player death match game where each player controls a differently colored Pac-Man. You can get huge with a Super Pellet and eat your friends or block their path and knock them into ghosts. It uses the visuals of 2007’s amazing Pac-Man Championship Edition and is ridiculously fun with four players. It took three years for a home version to be released as part of Namco’s Pac-Man Museum on 360, PS3, and Windows, but unfortunately the home version is pretty lazy and features no customization options and no online play.

Up next: Console games, weird merchandise, knockoffs, cartoons. Post your tier lists now.

That's not me, sorry guys :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Not ready to write up this one yet, but Pac-Man CE DX (ie. the best one that's not The New Adventures) is $2.50 on Steam right now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/236450/

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If you want to play all those weird old Pac Man games on your PC, Pac-Man Museum is on sale on Steam for $4.99 right now.

It has all the standard stuff like Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, and Pac-Land, some more modern stuff like Pac-Man Championship Edition and Pac-Man Battle Royale (the 4 player one), and weirder stuff like Pac & Pal or Pac-Attack. If you want Championship Edition DX you have to buy it seperately, and Ms. Pac-Man is DLC so it costs more (because there's licensing fees involved).

It doesn't, however, have Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, which is probably the best and weirdest Pac-Man game and here's a "speed run" of it that is just about as good as playing it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3bPqPVzMoI&t=355s

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pac-Man Museum's a must buy, even if the interface is kind of awful. Even though it contains original Pac-Man CE and not DX, both are worth playing!

Thanks for posting that Pac-Man 2 video, game's got to be seen to believed.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Why would you make a long op for a pac-man thread. Please help me understand.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Before anyone mentions the recent Pac-Man, here is a "Let's Play" by the owner of this website, Lowtax...the game is really awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX8KVKA08sw

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

The OP could literally just be "Hey discuss some gay pacman game here" and serve the same purpose.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
in fact why make a thread at all

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
We can just beam Pac-Man thoughts into each other's minds using the power of ironic shitposting, we have no need for such things as threads

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Pac-Man World 2 is a great game, even though it's been largely forgotten.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question to Championship Edition, I played it a year or two ago (if I recall) and thought it was pretty great, but there was a time limit. Starting to get urges to try it again with Pac-man in smash, was there a way to disable the time limit and just zone out?

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

We can just beam Pac-Man thoughts into each other's minds using the power of ironic shitposting, we have no need for such things as threads

Oh okay so good posting is using lots of boldfaces and long posts over pacman.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Thanks for helping me catch up on pac man lore

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

mick foley forever posted:

The OP could literally just be "Hey discuss some gay pacman game here" and serve the same purpose.

I don't think he's gay at all but he does look really unhappy about his marriage in Pac-Man 2 so you may be right, let's talk more.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question to Championship Edition, I played it a year or two ago (if I recall) and thought it was pretty great, but there was a time limit. Starting to get urges to try it again with Pac-man in smash, was there a way to disable the time limit and just zone out?
Sadly no, but some of the maps in CE DX are pretty good for just zoning out especially if you go with the 10 minute mode. It's not as stressful of a game as vanilla CE since you get a lot more options to get out of trouble (throw a bomb in a ghost mouth)

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Surlaw posted:

I don't think he's gay at all but he does look really unhappy about his marriage in Pac-Man 2 so you may be right, let's talk more.

Sadly no, but some of the maps in CE DX are pretty good for just zoning out especially if you go with the 10 minute mode. It's not as stressful of a game as vanilla CE since you get a lot more options to get out of trouble (throw a bomb in a ghost mouth)

Oh I was using gay in the "stupid and retarded" context not the good homosexual version. sorry

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

He eats trash so that's pretty accurate but he's still a pretty ok guy. What was your first time like? With Pac? Are you a Pac-Maniac too?

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Surlaw posted:

He eats trash so that's pretty accurate but he's still a pretty ok guy. What was your first time like? With Pac? Are you a Pac-Maniac too?

my first time with gay sex was great. i hosed men's asses :D

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
IM HAVING A PAC ATTACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK YOU OUGHTA KNOW BY NOW

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

like i'm not going to lie this would have been better as an effortpost in the :retrogames: thread but this is ok

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

like i'm not going to lie this would have been better as an effortpost in the :retrogames: thread but this is ok

i don't care.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Who else loved Share Ware?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67XjoiGlf_8

i had this game when i was 3. (I was totaly ownage BTW:)) it was on my dads first computer. 64 bit, i think it was called. (am i totaly wrong now?) it brings so manny good memorys..

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

gently caress the haters, this OP taught me about Proffesor PacMan.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Funkmaster General posted:

*professor

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Funkmaster General posted:

It's a Game for Smart People.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3QatR6xoM

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

gently caress yessssssss Pac Man thread! I am terrible at the original and Ms. Pac Man is definitely the best, but I have always loved the aesthetics and the ghosts and the ridiculous attempts to make some kind of story out of basically some dudes in a maze. :allears: I'm surprised there's no mention of Pac Man World 1 through 3, or Ms. Pac Man World. I played Ms. Pac Man World on GameCube and it was an extremely fun puzzle/platformer that seemed like a natural direction to take the original gameplay until CE DX happened to me. Holy poo poo is that game just perfectly addictive.

What are some legal ways to play Pac Man 2 on a more modern gaming system? I've basically got GameCube and forward.

Are you seriously spending time trolling a Pac Man thread. :psyduck:

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

Are you seriously spending time trolling a Pac Man thread. :psyduck:

im not trolling. im asking questions. fail

also you opened your post with "gently caress yessssssssssssss pac man thread" so you really can't own me

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So how was Pac-Man World 3? I played 1 and 2 but never the third one.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

FANGIO even though I'm a total Pac-Maniac I've never played the Pac-Man World games, so you should probably be the one to write the serious posts about them! Remember to use boldface.

Pac-Man 2 has sadly never been rereleased, even though it would play pretty perfectly on any kind of touchscreen system. If you're not going to emulate it, you'll have to buy either a used SNES or Genesis copy, but both are pretty common and you can get them under $5 shipped on Amazon.

It's fine, we're all learning together here. Is Pac-Man Gay?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

also you opened your post with "gently caress yessssssssssssss pac man thread" so you really can't own me

I'm not posting in the Pac Man thread to own anybody, because that's an insane thing to want. :confused:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
CE DX is super fun, add me on Steam so we can rub our scores together

Also, Pac-Man Museum is a joke even at five bucks. Why can't we go back to the PlayStation Namco Museum games with the cool "walk around and explore a literal museum" sections? Those were the poo poo.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Predictive text keyboard has failed me.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm not posting in the Pac Man thread to own anybody, because that's an insane thing to want. :confused:

troll

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Scratch-O posted:

Also, Pac-Man Museum is a joke even at five bucks. Why can't we go back to the PlayStation Namco Museum games with the cool "walk around and explore a literal museum" sections? Those were the poo poo.
Having the interface built entirely around promoting the Ghostly Adventures cartoon is pretty lovely. I know some dudes in the TV forum say it's actually a good show but I'm grossed out looking at it. This is my canon Pac-Man Cartoon, sorry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3n22GQMgcU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Surlaw posted:

FANGIO even though I'm a total Pac-Maniac I've never played the Pac-Man World games, so you should probably be the one to write the serious posts about them! Remember to use boldface.

I've only played Ms. Pac Man World. It was great though! That's the write up.

Scratch-O posted:

CE DX is super fun, add me on Steam so we can rub our scores together

That sounds awesome as hell, I hope prices on Amazon aren't too bad.

What are the Wii Namco Museums like, anyway? There are several and they all se to have certain exclusive Pac Man games and arrangements and I never know what the gently caress is in which collection and whether it's any good.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

What are the Wii Namco Museums like, anyway? There are several and they all se to have certain exclusive Pac Man games and arrangements and I never know what the gently caress is in which collection and whether it's any good.

not to be rude but instead of asking the op these questions you could actually google them, using http://www.google.com.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

In Real Life Pac-Man museum news, Funspot up in Laconia NH has some really great Pac-Man stuff.

The Pac-Man in the purple "Score with me" shirt just brings up more questions I guess.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Namco Museum Remix is pretty bad, it's missing most of the classic games and the remixed ones aren't great. Pac n Roll rules but you should play it on a DS instead. Also Pac Pix.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 20, 2014

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

not to be rude but instead of asking the op these questions you could actually google them, using http://www.google.com.

The games are similarly named and they have a mix of new games and "Arrangements", some of which have appeared previously and some of which are new. It is difficult to keep track! I appreciate that you just want to make a good thread about Pac Man though, so thank you for your suggestion. :)

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

The games are similarly named and they have a mix of new games and "Arrangements", some of which have appeared previously and some of which are new. It is difficult to keep track! I appreciate that you just want to make a good thread about Pac Man though, so thank you for your suggestion. :)

oh. sorry about your dyslexia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

oh. sorry about your dyslexia

:sigh: ok man

• Locked thread