Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, I was assuming we'd have to fight her whole crew, like we end up fighting every crew. If it's just Byakuren alone, that makes things simpler. Maybe she doesn't think humans can be trusted after being sealed, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Canon Byakuren is kind of a bad person so it's totally reasonable for her to not like Shou upon being unsealed, especially if she's with a bunch of humans like she was before.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Canon Byak may be a huge idiot hypocrite with bad opinions and no idea how to actually help her own stupid cause but she's pretty nice, at least once she became immortal. She probably wouldn't be mad at her buddies for trying to help her out. I could easily see her either starting a fight or causing the protagonists to start a fight due to the fact that as mentioned she's not the smartest person.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Music: cushy mission

So I haven't been posting any real Lunatic updates since Yorihime. Part of this is because there's not really that much to say about FMW3 Lunatic until you hit like, chapter 54,

but the main reason why is because I'm actually going to be doing a challenge run of the last stretch of the game!

In the source material, youkai were forbidden from interacting with the Underworld. Thus to deal with the incident, a character of the player's choice would approach either Reimu or Marisa and send them underground as an unwilling patsy a representative. FMW acknowledges this restriction exists, but totally skips over it because gameplay-wise it'd totally suck to be limited to your six human characters after the SSiB arc. But it's a fun challenge run, so that's what I'll be doing for Lunatic!

The game forces a few youkai units, but I'll just have them hide in the back.

The rules of this run are simple: until I hit chapter 55 (where I'm no longer in the Underworld) I am only allowed six characters (Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, Sanae, and Keine), who each have access to up to three support characters. I can put youkai characters in their backrows to act as "support" characters, but they can never be allowed to swap to the front. Well until 55 anyways, since that takes place on the surface.

If you're curious, the available teams are:
Reimu
- Yukari
- Suika
- Aya

Marisa
- Alice
- Patchouli
- Nitori

Sakuya
- Remilia
- Flandre
- Meiling

Youmu
- Yuyuko
- Ran
- Reisen

Sanae
- Kanako
- Suwako
- Hatate

Keine
- Mokou
- Eirin
- Kaguya

I'll mostly be using Border, Magic, and Servant Teams for obvious reasons, but the other three will see some adjusting throughout the run.

While survival isn't hard for Border Team, everyone else is in an iffier situation. Sanae's dodge rates will soar once her faith gauge gets going, and Sakuya has her wall of defensive gimmicks, but Magic Team and GunXSword are relying entirely on Keine's by now completely outdated defenses. And Parry, which stops being useful once the grunts shift from hell crows and evil eyes to evil spirits en masse.

Combine that with more aggressive enemy AI and every chapter's stage portion turns back into FMW1.

Which is to say that Reimu is the bulk of my player phase offense while everyone else aims for counterattacks on the enemy phase.

51 went pretty smoothly up until the boss. I had some faint hopes that Border Team could distract Kisume, but she took one look at Reimu's pile of bullshit and left.

Defeating Yamame is the goal this chapter though, so I'll just ignore Kisume entirely and focus on taking her down.

First I have to surround Kisume though; wouldn't want Yamame to get those Support Defends. Or that friendship boost.

AIf it weren't enough that it now debuffs Mobility and Armor by 75% and base weapon damage by 800, Kandata's Rope now further adds a -30% to damage to all enemy units. Needless to say that if Kisume got off her field too, the duo would be completely untouchable.

But all six of my characters are fully upgraded, so their damage output is high enough to get over the debuffs.

I mentioned this in an aside back on the main 51 update, but Yamame having access to spirits isn't really a problem. She'll blow most of it on casting either Faith or Vigor, which are annoying but not a real issue. And once her SP gets really low she'll only have enough for Grit, which is hilariously useless on enemies since it just nullifies the Team Attack instead of the main one.

Points are meaningless when everyone involved is fully upgraded, so I'd rather aim for experience. Sanae and Marisa will be getting a lot of kills.

I do some inventory before heading into 52. Items were rearranged (turns out I didn't put anything on Keine!), personal skills swapped (why did i even have the moriya katamari setup), and I swapped Mokou for Eirin so Sakuya isn't my only MP restorer. I considered replacing Reisen with Yuyuko too, but Yuugi has Fury so Triumph will get more than Support Defend.

Focus+ is actually pretty handy since it saves Sanae some SP every turn.

Evil spirits are wimpy enough that I feel safe letting Sanae go out on her own. My goal was to get her to build up enough faith to trigger Max God.

Yeesh, look at all that danmaku. Anyway spirits have fairly timid AI so Sanae can kind of pick and choose who she wants to take down until Yuugi and Parsee get to close.

Which turned out to be sooner than I expected! I ended up having to have Sanae drop a Miracle to reach 100%, which really screwed her over since it didn't give her enough SP to use Alert. As I've discovered numerous times throughout this run, Max God isn't very good on Lunatic.

The endless waves of Fury make it so that Sakuya is useless, so I have her head down here to lure Parsee.

I quickly realized that Yuugi having the Guard spirit makes it so that actually capturing her first spell would be a huge waste of resources, so I changed strategies and timed out her first spell. That way, she won't have enough SP to do anything crazy during Knockout in Three Steps.

This is important since I can't time that spell out!

It took a whole bunch of Support Attacks and a couple suicides, but I made it through.

More rearranging. Neither Satori nor Orin have Fury, so I go all in on Support Defend. I also swapped out Max God for Living God.

I brought Aya because I was curious what she'd say to Satori. Don't worry, she won't do anything.

The strategy for 53 is to have Border Team solo Satori while everyone else gets ready for Orin.

If you're wondering how I dealt with the Alerts, I just had Reimu waste an attack every enemy phase. The automatic Alert goes up at the beginning of enemy phase, so if I can get rid of it before player phase I can easily have one unit take down Satori.

I guess I could have had the others come in to take down Satori's spells but that would leave the ship defenseless. So I just timed them out.

Satori summons the two different kinds of tengu on Reimu's route. They cast Strike and Valor on Lunatic, so they're sort of annoying.

Incidentally, there are minor route differences in conversation throughout chapters 53, 54, and 55. 53 has the most notable changes since Satori uses different spells:

quote:

Seeing my own danmaku reflected back at me makes me understand why the abilities of the satori are so highly regarded. Still, can you really mirror my full speed with YOUR body?

You have no need to worry. This danmaku has been formed from the memories of those who have seen it.

Now, how about you try fighting against yourself? The you that others see, that is.

Timed Out Illusionary Dominance posted:

Tch, she's quite an opponent.

So this is what the wind looks like when I go full speed. I sure am impressive.

Don't joke around. Who would have thought she could read things like spellcards...?!

Boundary of Life and Death has one major difference now: if you bomb the tile Satori is standing on, the entire "you can only hit her point-blank" effect vanishes. Bomb range is crippled to make that harder, though, and she moves around.

quote:

...This is the danmaku I showed Reimu and the others back then, in front of that cherry tree.

While I couldn't finish reading through your memories, this danmaku was filled with strong emotions. To think the youkai sage would expose her personal matters to humans...

Even I am but a single youkai. I think and feel like any other, and I will never be able to forget my regrets or my mistakes.

...You're fixated on the past. That will prove to be your downfall.

Though it seems you're already aware how foolish your actions are.

Timed Out Boundary of Life and Death posted:

Impossible, you escaped...

I've seen that spell before, so I already knew what to do.

The ship is in pretty big danger here,

so I just warp it over. It's not breaking the rules, Reimu could border jump in SA too. :colbert:

The Underworlders are obviously allowed in the Underworld, so I use them. This is Lunatic so the best they can do fresh off the shelves is suicide though.

Probably the hardest part about the fight with Orin is all the enemies she summons. They're not really a threat, but there's so many that my weaker characters (Keine) get ganged up on and crippled. Orin is set to go last too, so even if I time out her spells I have to survive an enemy phase.

Orin's increased amount of HP (or rather, the fact I have so few characters) finally shows me how Zombie Fairy is supposed to work, by the way: she summons new fairies regardless of if the old ones were killed, and they can move on the turn they were summoned. Enemy phase is loooooong.

I briefly considered actually capturing Spleen Eater (which now cuts HP by 1000) with only five (out of SP) characters.

:effort:

Special mention goes to Yuyuko, who saw that Youmu was going to die and went absolutely insane. She dodged on every single Support Defend without fail.

I'm not even going to cover 54 because it's just a slog. Utsuho doesn't have Fury so she's powerless against my Support Defense formation until she declares Giga Flare. But she does have an absolute poo poo ton of HP (58500, 56000, 58000, 68000, and 76000) which makes actually defeating her practically impossible for my understaffed team. So I just timed everything out again, which needless to say is pretty boring to write about.

Here's Reimu's one-liner before taking out Giga Flare:

quote:

...Good grief. Looks like we're not gonna get anywhere by talking.

I'll just have to seal your ambition along with the power of the sun!

It just gets worse on 55, which is a tremendous pile of bullshit. Back in Normal, Utsuho's insane firepower was kept in check by the fact your damage output was high enough that with some smart positioning and the proper skill setups you can blow right through her spells. On Lunatic? Her HP is bonkers (60000, 54000, 52000, 54000, 54000, 84000), and that's before you add in Prevail+!

As if that weren't bad enough, Berserk leveled up. It now gives her two extra turns, and the cherry on top of that poo poo sundae is that Giga Flare is post-movement on Lunatic. This makes it impossible to confront Berserk Utsuho on your own terms, as without fail the first phase of the fight boils down to everyone throwing up Alert/Grit and standing just far away enough that Utsuho can only reach them on her third move. Then everyone tanks the Giga Flare and bum rushes Utsuho in hopes of triggering Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction.

It just gets worse from there, as Utsuho's multiple turns make everything much more complicated. Want to time out Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction? Well three people are dying per turn and as soon as she declares Peta Flare she'll spam that thrice. Decide to capture it? Start tearing into your SP since Berserk Utsuho has frankly insane Hit/Evade. I would actually recommend bringing Cirno and Kanako just to use the Freeze debuff and Virtue of Wind God. Combine that with Mystia's accuracy buffs, and you end up saving a ton of SP since now you won't have to cast Strike every turn. And believe me, you want that because Fury is abso-loving-lutely essential to get anywhere in this fight.

The tipping point is Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction Dive, because on Lunatic Utsuho gets up to four bonus turns. Which adds to seven total, which is kind of sort of insane! Once you manage to ford that, though, you can fairly easily time out Hell and Heaven Meltdown (I recommend moving the ship to the safe zone earlier in the fight) and Subterranean Sun (which now jacks Utsuho's maximum Power all the way up to 1000). But if you actually want to capture those spells, then uh good luck with that since you'll need one hell of a sustained assault to make it past Utsuho's HP Regen in Hell/Heaven and her massive wall of HP on Subterranean. I really don't think there's a cute strategy you can use to make beating Berserk Utsuho easier, it all comes down to pure, brute force.

Probably the worst part of the chapter is having to sit through the opening cinematic every single time though. :negative:

So with that all said and done, I'm sure you're wondering who I'm going to bring into the fight.

Well it's like the very first thread title said:

JUST USE REIMU

FMW3 has a fairly amusing glitch with its in-chapter deployment screen. See, all the characters you have are grouped together in little pairs of two. The player can move them around as they see fit, and naturally that means they can split those pairs into individual characters. Since the game wants to let you be as free as possible, whenever you're out of empty pairs to put characters in it generates a new one. There's a hard limit of about 45 total groups though... and you can break that once you hit the SA section.

Whenever you deselect a team from this screen, the game automatically generates an empty space for them regardless of the cap. So spend some time to separate out all of your groups, pick a random team of whoever, and deselect all of them. Do this enough times and the game will freak out and give you a free team of two Reimus. Why Reimu? I dunno, probably because she's the first character coded into the game or something. You can do this as many times as you want for more Reimu than you can shake a stick at.

These Reimus don't cost anything, but they will give you more cost if you undeploy them. This is a cheap way to get infinite cost, but chances are you'll just want to keep the Reimus since they all share the same items and skills.

I threw out two Reimus so I could bring in Yukari and Yuyuko for some early Rally spam. Let's go. :black101:

...Is what I'd like to say but to be honest this isn't going to change much on Lunatic. Reimu may have Shrine Maiden to get around Utsuho's evasion, and she may have Fury to get around Prevail+ and Subterranean Sun, but she doesn't have any way to deal with Strike beyond the expensive Sense. She can probably barrel through the first four lifebars anyways then stall long enough to time out the last two spells, but that's not anything special, you know? It'd take forever too and with finals coming up I'm on a tight timetable so that's a no-go.

So let's cheat.

Unlike regular SRW games, FMW3 doesn't cap your stats at 400. I actually don't even know what the cap is, maybe 65535?

This should do.

Everyone else can just stay back, God Reimu's got this.

On Hard/Lunatic, Berserk Utsuho starts moving on turn 3. She doesn't do anything but move next to God Reimu and end turn though, because even an out of control Yatagarasu knows not to trifle with his betters.

:smug:

God Reimu declares Fantasy Nature. It's her way of saying she's only going to need three turns.

Down goes Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction.

RIP Peta Flare.

Berserk Utsuho sees she's done for and goes for the ship. Her AI forces her to change targets every move though, so she heads back to God Reimu.

Who's mad now. Between the Mystic Memory and nine levels of SP Up, God Reimu can cast Zeal thrice.

With a little help from Sanae, this means I can take down the last three spells in one turn. :black101:

Here's Reimu's version of the final motivational speech before Subterranean Sun starts up:

quote:

After hearing that, I don't want to even consider losing her.

So I beg of you, save Okuu.

...I would've helped her even if you didn't ask.

I'm not going to let this end any other way!

So you're saying you can seal Yatagarasu's power without hurting her?!

Now that you've said it, we've just gotta do it!

We'll just have to take on everything she's got, both her power and her heart!

Stay with me, everyone! We're going to stop the sun!

And finally, here's Reimu's version of the final protagonist conversation:

quote:

To think that Utsuho had been holding back Yatagarasu's power until now...

...She was definitely doing it for us. But you know what? Nobody wants an ending where someone gets hurt.

We absolutely MUST save her. I won't accept any other conclusion.

Duh. We made a mistake, and we're going to deal with it. There's no doubt in my mind that we can stop Utsuho.

...If we combine our power, maybe we can get through to Okuu.

Once again, let's go!

Even halved, God Reimu's accuracy is still 100%.

Reimu doesn't say anything special if she wins with Fantasy Nature, so I switched to another quicksave (if you reload a quicksave with a character with insane stats, they'll plummet) to see if Fantasy Seal would get anything.

Reimu posted:

Whether it's the surface or whatever, I'm not letting you burn anything on my watch!

Reimu posted:

I'll seal Yatagarasu's power!

Reimu posted:

I can see right through you!

Reimu posted:

This is the end!

Reimu posted:

Now it's all up to Utsuho...

And that's Lunatic. Not exactly the best playthrough ever, but I'm not going to lie: Lunatic is just not very fun. I feel like Sanbondo doesn't really even try to balance it, they just make sure it's technically beatable and call it a day. In contrast Normal sees everything hilariously nerfed, to the point I'm surprised Easy is even a thing. I guess what I'm saying here is that if you ever want to play this series, Hard is the way to go.

------

Congratulations for beating the game!

Even Miss Ran and Lady Yakumo were talking about how hard you've been trying. Having you play so much makes us all happy.

This is even the third time we've had a message like this. It's all very touching.

It's actually the sixth time, if you count the demos. I'm impressed at how shamelessly they keep repeating this, even for the era where we weren't even used in the source games.

Chen's grown a lot since then. Take a look at this riceball.

...! That's-

It's almost triangular. Chen, who used to only be able to make her riceballs like snowballs, actually managed to...

Chen, you've...

Oh, have you two already eaten the riceballs? Sorry, I've been practicing but I still can't quite get them triangular.

You needn't push yourself to make them triangular. Even snowball shapes can be good too, right?

But didn't you say it's easier to eat them like that when you're tired?

...!

So that's why you've been molding riceballs continuously, until your body's been covered in rice?

...So Ran had already noticed. How could I have missed this until now?!

Lady Yukari...

Chen's feelings, her efforts, her devotion to her family... So all the snowballs I've been eating these past three months were in fact failed attempts at following that theory.

Not only that, she still sometimes mixes up the salt and sugar.

I've decided on Fantasy Maiden Wars' next title.

Oh, what is it?

Fantasy Maiden Wars "Bonds". It'll be a three hour family special.

Pack lots of riceball ingredients, so you'll have no regrets.

We'll be putting everything we've got into this.

We've out of time here again, but I'm sure we'll meet again next game.

See you later!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 9, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SA Prologue

Like IN, SA has a prologue from the viewpoint of the protagonists and an actual prologue hidden in the character profiles.

quote:

Snow falls on the Hakurei Shrine in winter.
It had been destroyed by an earthquake before, but now it's back to normal.

Remember Immaterial and Missing Power? Touhou 10.5 (Scarlet Weather Rhapsody) is its successor, and it's set between MoF and SA. It doesn't really play any role in the events though, so Sanbondo didn't bother including it in FMW3. But the fact that it's even mentioned in the prologue is noteworthy: following MoF, ZUN tried to make the plots of all the games a little more interconnected.

quote:

One day, something happened to surprise the Hakurei Shrine's shrine maiden, Reimu Hakurei.
That was the sudden appearance of a white pillar shooting into the air - a geyser - near the shrine grounds.

Normally, when something unusual happens, she goes to find out what happened and quickly bring the matter to a close, but this made her happy as much as it surprised her.
After all, the geyser would melt the snow and become a hot spring that would ease the fatigue of both humans and youkai from nearby.

Anyway, SA starts with a geyser suddenly shooting up behind the Hakurei Shrine. Reimu hopes it'll become a hot spring that'll attract visitors, but before that can happen some vengeful spirits start shooting out. Reimu and Marisa take a look at this, shrug, and build a spa anyways.

Needless to say this is a lot different from FMW3, where the hot spring is built first and then evil spirits rush out.

quote:

—— The Scarlet Devil Manor
The magician that lived in the Scarlet Devil Manor, Patchouli Knowledge, sensed danger in the appearance of youkai and earth spirits from underground.
In her readings, she'd learned that somewhere slept a power that was uncontrollable by the likes of the youkai from above ground.
She also knew that youkai shouldn't easily be able to enter the city that lay in the depths.

However, there was almost no-one she could consult with regarding this problem.
Losing her temper with Reimu and company, she grudgingly decided to consult with the youkai who was said to have been in Gensokyo the longest.

Surprisingly, the main figure behind Reimu and Marisa making their move is Patchouli. She meets with Yukari and convinces her to do something about it (or to be more exact, Yukari decides she should do something before the SDM screw things up again). This being Yukari,

quote:

Yukari promised only to send Reimu to investigate, with youkai staying behind to act in a support role.

Reimu is promptly sent out. This is another game where it doesn't really make that much sense to play as Marisa.

It's mentioned in the prologue that only humans can go to the Underworld. FMW3 justifies this with an agreement, but the actual SA prologue only notes that Yukari didn't want youkai from the surface to interfere with Underworld affairs. She's also worried it might just be a trap.

quote:

...No, I've already reached my own conclusion. I'll be accompanying you to the Underworld. And I ask the other youkai to lend their assistance as well.

FMW totally drops this because otherwise the player would be stuck with barely anyone, and after SSiB already limited your party that would just be a huge dick move.

FMW also dramatizes the hell out of Yukari's relationship with the Underworld. It's portrayed as one of her many regrets, a big black mark on her dream of a Gensokyo where everyone gets along. Said dream is totally made up by the way, and in fact the Gensokyo portrayed in FMW is noticeably lighter and softer than the real one. But that's off-topic.

While only Patchouli and Yukari were mentioned in the SA prologue, Reimu and Marisa both have three possible partners. Their respective motivations are:

Yukari: Wants to know what the hell is going on.
Suika: Yukari got lazy and asked Suika to handle it for her.
Aya: Same, but Aya volunteered or something. She's been following the gossip on Youkai Mountain and is aware the Moriyas did something underground.

Alice: Her dolls were being possessed by the vengeful spirits near the hot springs so she was worried.
Patchouli: Figured Yukari wouldn't do jack.
Nitori: Is aware that nuclear energy is down below and wants at it.

quote:

One day, [Orin] felt a disturbance in what was left of the Hell of Blazing Fires.
The flames were much stronger than usual.
Regulating the flames was Utsuho's job. Orin went to visit Utsuho and was surprised by what she found.
She had discovered a frighteningly strong power, or had been given it by someone.
Since then, Utsuho began to grow stronger, and to seek out power.
Eventually, she started talking about conquering the above ground and turning it into a scorching hell.
There's no way she should have been able to do that. There's no way Satori would allow it.
If anybody underground found out about this plan, the oni would probably take care of Utsuho.
Amazed by the transformation her friend had undergone, Orin began to delve into a forbidden art.

That forbidden art was how to drive the evil spirits above ground. If she could force some sort of incident with the youkai above ground, something would surely change.
She was trying to get the youkai above ground to help her, but what finally appeared before her was a human from above ground.
That human was unexpectedly strong, and what is more, she specialized in youkai extermination.
If she's really that strong, Orin thought, she might be able to deal with Utsuho.

Anyway the real prologue is that the Moriyas bestowed Yatagarasu to Utsuho, who went nuts. Afraid for what might happen to her friend, Orin sends spirits up to the surface in hopes of attracting attention. This is exactly mirrored in FMW.

SA Stage 1

Stage 1 sees the player character of your choice descending into the Underworld. She beats up Kisume and a bunch of rocks, and in between bitching at her support partner and making silly one liners she smacks Yamame too.

FMW3 has this running tangent where Yukari tries to peacefully convince the Underworlders to let them go through, but it never works. Sanbondo uses this game as a chance to let some of the lesser characters get their time in the spotlight, so Wriggle tries to make friends with Yamame and Nitori realizes she's being kind of a jerk.

SA Stage 2-3

Parsee is pretty much just a roadblock on the way to the Old Capital,

while Yuugi runs into the protagonist in Stage 3 and ends up getting interested in her. She's the first person to actually be important, and she directs the protagonist to the Palace of Earth Spirits.

Oh, and in most of the routes this is also the point where the protagonist actually finds out why she was sent underground. She isn't very happy she has to shut down the hot springs.

Meanwhile in FMW, Parsee and Yuugi are basically dating so you fight them both at the same time. You never even go into the Old Capital, or at least not in gameplay.

Yuugi's a bit interesting in that while most of the Underworld are unhappy with their situation but see no hope, Yuugi and presumably the rest of the oni are totally cool with chilling underground forever. Since Kaguya's big thing this game is deciding to go outside, she is naturally less than accepting of this mindset. Suika is there too.

SA Stage 4

The protagonist makes it to the Palace of Earth Spirits, where she fights Orin for the first time and then run into Satori. Who proceeds to show off the real reason people hate the satori: because they won't shut up about the fact they're reading your mind. Kind of hard to hold a conversation when you keep getting pre-empted, you know?

She fights the protagonist out of self-defense, and after the battle notes that they didn't actually have to fight. She pieces together that Orin is probably the one behind the spirits, so she sends the protagonist on their way to the Remains of Blazing Hell.

quote:

Satori left Orin in charge of the evil spirits and Utsuho in charge of the Hell of Blazing Fires. They were both loyal to Satori, so they shouldn't have done any harm. She believed there was no way they'd start some sort of incident.

...Which is kind of weird, since Satori's profile states that she's pretty confident in her pets' innocence.

This is what FMW Satori goes with, to the point she fights the party over it.

Satori's entire situation with Koishi is much more dramatized in FMW. In the source game all we know is she pities Koishi.

SA Stage 5

Stage 5 sees Orin fighting the protagonist two more times, in what is apparently a test to see if she really can stand up to Utsuho.

She does the same thing in FMW3, though the setting is changed to the Palace of Earth Spirits. She also gets pretty drat bitter by the end of the fight, since drama.

Where the original Orin just directed the protagonist to Stage 6, in FMW she explains the entire situation to the party and Satori. It's all a part of Satori's terrible day.

SA Stage 6

Orin fights the protagonist one last time in Stage 6, because... I don't really know? Maybe she was worried they were too strong for Utsuho or something. Anyway the protagonist runs into Utsuho, who is nuts and plans to invade the surface. The protagonist obviously isn't very happy with this, so she kicks Utsuho's rear end.

Aside from the exclusion of the Orin fight, Stage 6 is faithfully reproduced in FMW3. By the end, things look like they'll end peacefully like in SA. Then Shiro comes in.

Endings

Subterranean Animism has eight endings, two bad and six good. Most of the good endings have the protagonist figure out Moriya Shrine was behind the incident, so they decide to head over there.

Since Kanako and Suwako come clean in FMW3, none of the SA endings happen.

Extra Stage

The protagonist storms Moriya Shrine again and beats up Sanae,

then runs into Koishi, who came to see if she could get a god for one of her pets too. She recognizes the protagonist from her sister's recollection of the incident, and challenges them to a fight. She loses, and it's noted in Koishi's profile that this was a good encounter for Koishi since it made her interested in other people again.

FMW replaces SA Extra with Chapter 55, which is basically an entire chapter about how SA could have gone horribly wrong. Koishi is left for the next game, where she'll presumably get a suitably dramatic conclusion.

quote:

Everything would have turned out fine if Orin had just gone to Satori in the first place, but she thought it would be better if she tried to hide what Utsuho was doing. If Satori had found out about Utsuho's plan, she thought, she'd waste no time dealing with Utsuho in a ruthless fashion. Of course, that wasn't true, but just as children are afraid of their parents finding out their secrets, Orin was afraid of Satori finding out about hers. Orin was somewhat in awe of Satori.

The last thing of note in the source game is the conclusion of Orin's character profile. Satori is much more caring in FMW so obviously Orin isn't worried about that, so instead the game makes it a plot point that the Palace of Earth Spirits crew are kind of bad at communicating.

Subterranean Animism leaves it kind of vague what happens next, but later appearances of Utsuho reveal she gained control of her powers and now manages a nuclear reactor.

quote:

...Satori Komeiji, if there anything we can do to help, don't be afraid to let us know.

Kanako Yasaka...

I'm sure knowing how to properly handle a god would be helpful.

FMW provides an in-between phase and has the Moriyas step up and take responsibility for their actions.

Overall, FMW3 did a pretty good job with its SA adaption considering it only had five chapters to work with. Cramming two bosses into each stage was a good way to incorporate SA's reputation as a puzzle shooter of sorts, and the finale is grand enough the fact that the prior few chapters were kind of rushed doesn't really register. The game's writing has basically improved with each arc, so here's hoping FMW4 keeps that up for UFO and PoFV!

Actually, speaking of UFO, you know the geyser that set SA off? In the source games, it's what frees the Palanquin Ship and starts UFO. Like I said, all of the games following MoF are more interconnected.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 14, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think it's reasonable to infer drama between Satori and Koishi. IIRC, Koishi's profile notes that Satori's been trying to get her to play with the animals more so she'd open her third eye (which basically seems to be defined as "interest in other people" in some metaphysical way), which obviously implies that Satori thinks it's a situation that needs fixing. The implication at the end though is that she needed to meet new people instead. In a later book, there's some discussion over whether Koishi is actually the more well-adjusted of the two sisters.

Overall though, I feel like Koishi's almost too normal in this game, for someone who's supposed to have magical brain damage.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I honestly feel like Koishi acts pretty normal in most of the games she appears in. She's generally kind of weird but most touhous are and it never really feels like she lacks concious thought.

Anyway, I really like that Patchouli's the one who first notices poo poo is going down in the underground presumably just because she keeps a really close eye on hell due to how much she loving hates Oni's.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, the idea behind Koishi is, of course, Freudian. She lacks an Ego and acts under pure Id. IE: She does whatever she wants as soon as she feels like doing so, she says the first thing that comes to mind, etc. She doesn't wholly lack reason or anything, there's just no filter between her Unconscious and what she ends up doing. She's even capable of expressing worry over her own condition ("Oh golly, maybe I can regain control of my body!"), but only if that feeling happens to float to the surface.

By contrast, FMW Koishi seems a bit stubborn about it, like she's intentionally rejecting others.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway, I really like that Patchouli's the one who first notices poo poo is going down in the underground presumably just because she keeps a really close eye on hell due to how much she loving hates Oni's.

Actually in SWR Yukari straight up tells Patchouli to keep an eye on the underground in one of her win quotes I think.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

She does, but in the same game Patchouli also runs into an Oni (after completely ignoring the actual culprit), so it's not unreasonable that she'd do something like watch the underground to keep the filthy Onis out of her own accord.

On the subject of the FMW's writing, I feel as if it's less improving with each iteration and more how a big part of Mystic's story fell completely on its face, since I really liked the writing in Scarlet and nothing in Mystic came close to that level. Now that Satori's terrible horrible no good very bad day has been translated I actually got reinvested into the overall story of FMW, even if it's a little jarring seeing what Gensokyo is actually like in the modern print works.
What I'm trying to say is that Sanbondo is good at writing families with terrible communication issues.

Nook fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 8, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Music: The Intersecting Scenery in Purple

quote:

Scorched Land

Full Text

quote:

A couple people are all helping Ran clean up after Utsuho's rampage.

It's a Real Touhou Fact that I'm good at this kind of thing so I'm helping.

And I'm taking my first step to stop being such a racist jerk!

quote:

Scarlet Devil Mansion

Full Text

quote:

I need my own room, so I'm moving back to the basement.

While she does that, I'm going to look for Shiro.

quote:

Youkai Mountain

Full Text

quote:

Youkai Mountain's been pretty tense since the foothills exploded and Underworld youkai started coming and going, so I organized a concert with the Prismrivers.

I came too!

quote:

House of Eternity

Full Text

quote:

Yuugi said she'd go to the House of Eternity, so she did.

You can consider this us improving our relations with the Underworld.

quote:

Human Village

Full Text

quote:

Don't mind me, I'm just dropping some foreshadowing for PoFV.

quote:

Lunar Capital

Full Text

quote:

I have a name now! Raysen.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's a way we could respond to Lady Yagokoro's letter?

quote:

Margatroid Residence

Full Text

quote:

Time to write another lette-

Who wants more vague details about the main villain of the game?

quote:

Hieda Residence

Full Text

quote:

The times sure have changed.

quote:

Palanquin Ship - Bridge

Full Text

quote:

Here, have the ship fragments back.

Full Text

quote:

Don't mind me, I'm just dropping some foreshadowing for UFO.

quote:

Palace of Earth Spirits

Full Text

quote:

I'm practicing so I can use my powers safely!

quote:

Hakurei Shrine

Full Text

quote:

Shiro and its master are so going to get it next game.

Definitely!

Full Text

quote:

In the outside world, the advance of technology and its associated set of values has given rise to an era filled with incurable anxiety.

But here in paradise, it's different. People live straightforward lives, just like they used to.

...Indeed, I must protect it.

The dream I've finally managed to give shape...

A tranquil world where people can have nightmares in peace.

------

Music: Gazing Up at an Endless Space

Cue the credits.

The background shifts midway through.

Battle Results posted:

Difficulty: Normal
Turn Count: 440
Total Play Time: 66:01:50
Enemies Defeated: 664/722
Allies Shot Down: 72/429
Cost Used: 809/814
Total Points: 2,818,240
Total PP: 11424
Bonus WP Acquired: 315/315
Spells Captured: 37/39
Bombs Used: 18/39
Game Overs: 0

Battle Results posted:

Top Aces:
_Alice: 220 kills
_Reimu: 167 kills
_Marisa: 113 kills:
Saves/Loads: 0/0 :smug:
Upgrade Percentage (Average/Highest on one unit): 23%/50%
Spirit Commands used: 1344
Skills Learned: 178

Battle Results posted:

Highest Damage Dealt: 14048 (Marisa >> Orin [Blazing Star])
Highest Damage Received: 16315 (Yorihime >> Nitori [Take-Mikazuchi])
Number of times Mysty sang: 9
Number of Utsuho Punches: 3
Number of times Hatate used Thoughtography: 3
Number of times Mokou resurrected: 8

------

Music: Stop

quote:

Animal Trail

Huh...? Where is this?

I'm hungry. And my clothes are all wet... How did I always get home before?

...I don't think I can go home anymore, Satori.

quote:

Fantasy Maiden Wars I: The End

------

I see you've stopped the game. Thank you for your hard work.

...Shortly after the vengeful spirit incident, Gensokyo greets a season of thawing snow and ever so slightly regains stability.

The fairies and their friends coming to the shrine to play pranks feels quite ordinary. It's a nice improvement.

However, mixed in with everyone else is an unfamiliar figure.

Chapter 56 of Fantasy Maiden Wars D: "Thawing Shrine".

Please play until the end.

------

And with that, this LP is finally over! What started as the equivalent of a stupid bet soon ballooned into a year and a half long translation effort. I originally started this project as the sole translator, but now I just handle proofreading and the less important dialogue. Meanwhile Ryza started off reprising his role from the FMW1 LP, and somehow ended up becoming one of the main figures of Stream Hell. And of course, Clarste and Hokuto started this LP as readers, and ended up becoming the main translator and the primary editor respectively. A bunch of other people were involved through #touhou (which itself started as a bad joke) too: a_cartoon_duck, Forsety, Golden Battler, KnoxZone, Nook, Nages, Other People Whose Names I Don't Recall At This Exact Moment But Helped With The FMW2 Patch... This has probably been the biggest LP I've ever done. And to be totally honest, it's probably going to be the last. I've hit the point in my life where I need to start managing my time more effectively, and unfortunately sacrificing my entire weekend for updates doesn't really fly with that. So while I am sure as hell going to buy and play Fantasy Maiden Wars D next year, I'm not going to be helming another LP for it. I'm sure someone else will be willing to step up to the plate though, and I'd be entirely fine with helping out some other LPer.

My thanks go to Clarste and Hokuto for the insane amount of effort they have put into this LP, Ryza for pushing me into and through this, a_cartoon_duck for actually playing the source games so I didn't have to polish off my non-existent rusty STG skills, Golden Battler for reading Silent Sinner in Blue because I was too lazy to, Nages, Nook, and Forsety for telling me a ton of stuff about this game I had no idea about, Drake on the Shrine Maiden forums for sending me the game script, and Sanbondo for making this wonderful, wonderful game. And of course, I'm very thankful to everyone who posted in this thread: seeing how people feel about this game series I love way too much is something I'm really interested in. Special mention goes to the most prominent posters, SyntheticPolygon and (of course) Glazius.

So with that all done, I heavily encourage you all to go and buy the games! You can find them all on buyee.jp (which Nages can confirm is legit), so pull out your wallets already!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 14, 2015

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
You're welcome and please remember that stream hell will live on in our hearts.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I never noticed Parsee blushing in that one mugshot. That's weird as heck.

Thanks for all the hard work on the LP, BlitzBlast!

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Good LP Blitzblast can't wait for your lp of 4.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Congrats, your curse has finally been lifted.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A while back somebody asked me if I'd do the FMW4 trial, at least. Aside from the fact that I am just totally done with the entire LP process, I don't have a game script so I'd have to manually transcribe everything again. And gently caress that noise.

So instead I'll summarize what happened in it so all of the people who only follow this thread can join the rest of us fans in waiting warmly for the final game.

Chapter 56: Thawing Shrine

The game starts with everyone meeting up at the shrine so they can go to the Future Water Youkai Bazaar, a big event the kappa of Youkai Mountain are hosting. Cirno, Rumia, Wriggle, and Mystia are running late, and end up bumping into a stranger who is looking for someone. They tell her that a lot of people are gathering at the shrine so the person (who introduces herself as Iku Nagae) joins up with them.

They then decide that this is the perfect opportunity to play a prank on everyone there (even Letty and Dai), and Iku ends up getting sucked into the crossfire. Since Rinnosuke and Akyu are piloting the ship now, Murasa and Ichirin get out of it to kick rear end.

Midway through the Underworlders come in too, and after the battle ends Yukari gaps in with most of the party. And the rest join at the beginning of next chapter anyway. There's no slow start-up here, FMW4 hits the ground running.

Music: Lightning Fish (Crimson in the Black Sea)

Chapter 57: The Ecstasy Won't Stop

Everyone is having fun at the kappas' bazaar, including the person Iku is looking for: Tenshi Hinanawi. She's a Celestial from Heaven who's skipping her recital to play around on the ground, and Iku's been sent to grab her. Tenshi herself is fascinated with all the cool things happening on the surface, and doesn't want to go back. Especially since she hasn't even finalized her plans for the incident she's going to cause!

Things get silly when she recognizes Marisa and Reimu. See, the entire point of her incident was that she was really, really bored so she wanted to do something to attract the attention of the people she's heard so much about. She reacts to just randomly coming across them with a "hey, that works!", loudly declares that she's going to start ~An Incident~, and initiates a fight.

The joke here is that the incident she was planning was Touhou 10.5, which would have involved an earthquake leveling the Hakurei Shrine. Since naturally that would have been a major event with long lasting connotations in this game, the party just comes across her while she was in the planning stages and stop SWR from even happening. :v:

Tenshi's moment of glory is promptly stolen by HISOU TENSOKU, WHICH HAS COME TO stand there and do nothing since it's just a balloon.

Tenshi doesn't screw around like Suika did, and comes packed with two spells (both SRW references :v:) and two themes. But she eventually goes down, and is eager to get to the next part of any incident resolution: the part where she makes friends with the incident resolution team. Everyone kind of groans when they realize this is what she was after.

Then screams pour out of the bazaar.

Music: Colorless Blade (Wonderful Heaven, Black Stranger)
Music: Get Angry!! (short) (Flawless Clothing of the Celestials, Wonderful Heaven, Bhavaagra as Seen Through a Child's Mind)
Bonus: Get Angry!! (ver. BB)

Chapter 58: Dream of the Stray Dreamer

It's Shiro! Its master reacted to a festival celebrating technological growth about as well as you'd expect, and the whole place is in shambles.

The bastard even blows up Hisou Tensoku! :argh:

Shiro tries to make a break for it once it sees that the party is after it, but they catch up. With no other choice, Shiro

reveals her true form as a ~Sanbondo Original~!

Her name is Meeko, and she is kind of a massive jerk because her gimmick is she straight up doesn't allow anyone in her field with less than 130 Power to move. Combine that with how her grunts' fields all drop the power of everyone in their fields and how she and her familiars all have barriers to make taking them down harder, and you get a recipe for annoyance.
Yes, they're basically the DAMON from SRW Z2.

Attracted by the commotion, midway through Okuu and Orin show up. They're confused about what's going on, but then Orin recognizes Meeko and gets pissed the hell off. Meeko seizes her chance to try and eliminate Okuu, but Orin intercepts. Then she tries to take out Orin, but then Okuu intercepts. The two proceed to pair up and join the army.

Meeko is driven into a corner, and tries to talk her way out of it by pointing out the danger that Okuu poses. Everyone immediately points out that Okuu only did all of that because of Meeko, but she apparently believes that just having access to nuclear power at all makes Okuu a huge danger.

So she tries to prove her point by setting Okuu off again. Okuu still remembers what happened last time, though, as well as all the effort everyone put into saving her life. She never wants to go berserk again, and proceeds to safely force all of the familiars off of her, much to Meeko's shock.

Okuu flares up anyways, which Meeko takes to be proof that she was right. But the party recognizes the flames for what they really are: the light of the sun! Okuu retains control, and Akyu notes that her temperature stayed at a safe level. Meeko is even more shocked, and doesn't see how this could have happened. Okuu replies that if she were alone like last time, she would have lost herself. But now she's with everyone else, so she'll never let herself lose. Orin chimes in with an affirmation, and the two proceed to kick Meeko's rear end.

Much like how Scarlet Gensokyo was recycled into Spear the Gungnir,

and how Perfect Blackened Cherry Blossom turned into Death Butterfly, Floating Moon,

Subterranean Sun morphed into Abyss Nova. Which is a double pun, because the animation is based off of Kaiser Nova.

Heavily injured, Meeko is forced to detonate a bunch of her familiars to escape. The party is hot on her tail, though, and thus the game begins in earnest.

...Right after they explain to Tenshi (and any new players) what just happened, anyway. :v:

Music: Bottled Sheep - Fall Asleep

------

If any of that sounded fun, the trial is available for download at Sanbondo's page.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 8, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

i'm finally freeeeeeee

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just now realized for the first time that Nova actually makes sense for a sun-themed character. I'm too used to it just being a cool word in special attack names.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Thanks for all the hard work BlitzBlast (and others), and I hope that the team that picks up part four to LP (totally going to be you) does an equally good job with it!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thanks for the cool LP BlitzBlast and friends. I'm a bit surprised you finished it before fmw4 or that you finished it at all but it all ended up coming together. I'm looking forward to the eventual fmw4 lp when it comes out though, and I hope who ever takes over is going to do as good a job (let's not kid ourselves it's going to be you).

Anyway, i'm surprised that Shiro's boss originally came from the outside world, I don't know why since a large number of touhou bosses are the same but for some reason I just expected her to be a super powerful youkai from the dream world. Her backstory kind of seems to point to her as being something of an opposite to Kanako, which could be interesting.

Also, Sheepu the Hedgehog's theme is very good and everybody should give it a listen because it owns.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love the sprite Tenshi has for taking damage.

Also Meeko is pretty bad at this whole 'evil plan' thing. "All of them hate me for almost making Utsuho blow herself up. I bet if I make her blow up FOR REAL this time everyone will see that I'm right."

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

Pureauthor posted:

Also Meeko is pretty bad at this whole 'evil plan' thing. "All of them hate me for almost making Utsuho blow herself up. I bet if I make her blow up FOR REAL this time everyone will see that I'm right."

Meeko's true goal can just be summed up as "rawr i hate technology", from what I can gather. Something tells me it really isn't her strong suit, even after the buildup. Well, it's the demo anyway, so I guess it might be too soon to judge.

Hopefully Iku gets more attacks, though. There aren't enough spellcard references, yet.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Original The Touhou's design could honestly fit in pretty well. Could have been worse!

Also thanks all of you for the mega-lp, it was cool to see it progress from almost being left behind to cracking the game and blitzing through the rest.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Good job on turning the weird gibberish in these games that I love into real English words. Much appreciated.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The best part about Sheepu The Hedgehog is that literally the day before the FMW4 demo came out, the Touhou 14 demo with Doremy Sweet and her dream powers came out. She was old and passe even before her debut.

Also, nice work on the LP, Blitz.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Wait, I don't think anyone has liked to the 3D dogfight. I must fix that. This is an amazing animated version of the Utsuho fight from SA proper, though with a fair bit more melee combat than the engine supports.

E:poo poo, I forgot the funniest part. Before the fight starts they accurately portray ZUN Art Utsuho in 3D, pose and expression included.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 9, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Excellent work on this huge workload of an LP. It's been an entertaining read throughout!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Out of curiosity, can anyone think of a way to fit "Subterranean Animism" into a sentence?

I'm still sad FMW3 cut the title drops. :(
Kaguya doesn't actually say Imperishable Night, that was just a reference to the IN translation.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

Out of curiosity, can anyone think of a way to fit "Subterranean Animism" into a sentence?

I'm still sad FMW3 cut the title drops. :(
Kaguya doesn't actually say Imperishable Night, that was just a reference to the IN translation.

You should have taken my suggestion to call it the Palace of Subterranean Animism! (Palace of Earth Spirits is SA's JP title)

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Just won't feel right if I don't throw one last stream post in here.

More FMW3 in about 30 minutes.

http://www.twitch.tv/ryza01

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ryza posted:

Just won't feel right if I don't throw one last stream post in here.

More FMW3 in about 30 minutes.

http://www.twitch.tv/ryza01

Lullaby of a deserted Stream Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And we're archived.

Good night thread.

• Locked thread