Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Hey, you know that thing I do? I'm doing it again in 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Blitz said he would have an update up by now so that I wouldn't need to triple post, but here we are. At the very least I guess I'm helping him keep updates on new pages I guess?

Anyway, more GoS in ~75m.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
We interrupt your regular schedule of GB streams to present you this update.

------

The first bit shows up in both routes.

quote:

The next day, Scarlet Devil Mansion

quote:

Scarlet Devil Mansion
Music: Dark Clouds

Full Text

quote:

I'll be staying behind to look after Flan. I guess you'll have to make do without your IN partner, Sakuya.

It's okay, you and I are the worst of the four IN teams in this game.

Yeah, you're pretty bad in general actual-

Shut up and go.

quote:

Hakurei Shrine
Music: What's the Strategy?

Full Text

quote:

The eternal night is a problem, but the bigger issue is that fake moon.

Targeting the full moon like this is akin to targeting all of Gensokyo. Whoever is doing this must be stopped.

Well what are we waiting for?

------

quote:

Fluttering Fireflies in the Night Sky

Kanako and Suwako join immediately after the chapter starts.

Wriggle posted:

...Everyone's so happy that this night's still going.

Talk about your long nights, this one's ridiculous... But I guess it's fine if everyone's having fun.

...! Someone's coming!

I spent most of my money maxing out Magic Team's Mobility and Weapons, so the gods didn't get much on the upgrade front.

They did get some vital skills though; Kanako picked up Support Defend, and Suwako grabbed Ignore Size. I also set their personal skills because for some silly reason all player units new to FMW3 don't have any on.

Kanako equipped Virtue of Wind God, which buffs the Hit/Evade of nearby units by 12% (to you SRW vets, it's Command). And Suwako got Earth God, which doubles the effect of terrain bonuses.

There's water all over this map, so Alice, Sakuya, and Patchouli put on shells.

Suwako starts with an item that was dummied out of FMW2: Pyonta. It's really Suwako's Blessing (and really really Earth God's Blessing), but seeing how I changed Kanako's I guess I have to follow suit here.

Though FMW3's larger windows do give more space for english text...

Anyway, Pyonta bumps up a unit's Land and Water terrain rankings to S. This is of questionable use on Suwako, who already has a S in Water and has a S in Land in most of her attacks, so I actually have her swap with Kanako and put on the Shimenawa.

One last thing to note before I start: none of the teams you guys picked had names. :smith:

Sunny posted:

Ooh, it's so pretty with the fireflies out.

We came from the outside world, so to us, some things are still magical to behold.

Yeah, we get a ton of fireflies here.

Is it the mountain youkai? There's an awful lot of them.

Hm? Hey, there's a youkai among those fireflies.

Perfect. We can ask it some questions.

Excuse me. You seem to be leading these bugs.

I'm Wriggle, and I represent them. Who are you all?

An ordinary magician and some friends.

Bwah...?

If you know anything about this incident, firefly youkai, then speak.

Who died and made you queen... Are you talking about the long night?

The fireflies are loving it. Actually, I'm worried that they're loving it too much. They're gonna run themselves ragged.

I couldn't care less about the well-being of bugs.

I can see talking isn't going to get us anywhere. Let's just blow 'em all up.

I don't think they've done anything wrong...

Pest control is part of my job. When I see bugs flying around, I swat them.

...This swamp is home territory for us. If you want a fight, I'll give you one. Don't blame me if you end up cowering in terror!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Wriggle.
Defeat: All allies are defeated.
Bonus: Defeat three Kappa in four turns.
The bonus for this chapter used to be much more elaborate (defeat three enemies while underwater IIRC), but thankfully Sanbondo realized it was dumb and changed it.

The river on this map is actually animated! There are also little fireflies everywhere.

Magic Team charges right into the fray.

And after overkilling that fairy by like 1500 damage, Alice and Marisa both level up. Alice got Triumph, and Marisa Magic Thruster level 2. Both are greatly appreciated!

Suwako doesn't have Accel for some reason, so Hina is actually a pretty good partner for her.

Oh, and one of the things you'll see with some of the new characters in this game is that they seem to have been designed to be in the back row. Suwako has barely any post movement attacks, so unless she runs around spamming Assail she's not getting much done on player phase. Kanako is in a similar situation, though it's at least expected for her.

Nitori, Lady Yasaka, this place is great!

Kappa...? Why are you in a place like this?

Well, we don't see water so pretty that often, so we kind of got distracted... morning never came either, so I guess we dozed off.

They must have been washed away by their own river. I hope you've learned something from this.

Anyway, looks like my hopes for a waterfront encounter with kappa came true. This is my chance for revenge for that time you girls confused me.

Huh?

Music: A God Plays with Their Whole Heart and Soul

Suwako's main attack stat is Ranged, so Two Bows etc and Long Arms and Long Legs don't hit that hard. Combine that with the enemy kappa's S rank in Water, and I get this sad sight.

Speaking of sad things, I found out I was wrong about the Three Fairies: they can't combine if any of them are in a team. Well, unless said fairy's teammate is one of the other two anyway.

It's been quite some time since my last incident investigation. I'm a bit tense...

Huh. Alice, is it just me or do you have more dolls than usual?

I made more combat-capable children, so I brought them with me for this investigation. I'm a magician, after all, so I'm experimenting with and studying all sorts of things at the moment.

So this is what you were working on while we were refitting the ship.

Thinking out your magic and playing it safe sure is like you, Alice.

I'd be quite troubled if something went wrong. It's common sense to prepare the foundation first.

And then Alice got an upgrade.

She gets two new attacks, Doll's War and Return Inanimateness. The former is a post-movement attack she can spam if she doesn't feel like wasting Artful Sacrifice ammo (even though it's based off her weaker Melee stat, Magic Team hits so hard it often doesn't matter for most grunts), and the latter is her answer to enemies that reduce laser damage.

Alice then spawns in three Hourai Dolls because I wanted to try out Puppeteer. It gives her a 8% boost in Hit/Evade for every doll within 2 tiles, so she's getting a +24% to Hit/Evade now.

She proceeds to blow kappa up.

Enemy AI goes a little nuts with the dolls. They're really weak, so you'd think they'd be high priority targets, but oddly enough I've seen them ignored just as often as I've seen them attacked.

Hourai Dolls have Support Defend, and combined with Puppeteer's boost (it affects both Alice and the dolls) these Hourais can probably last for a while.

I thought this was just some bug, but she can hold her own.

We can't get careless. She might send deadly poisonous insects at us!

That's right! You haven't even seen my-

!?

Hey, something wrong?

The bugs are running... Is someone over there?

I do sense a strong presence approaching.

This power could only be...

Ahh, I knew those lights were danmaku.

Music: The Flower that Marks the Changing Seasons (Ver. I)

This song was based off a rejected track from FMW1, hence the name.

Yuuka posted:

See? My intuition is solid.

I guess a flower youkai knows how to pick up the scent of battle.

Marisa, it's-

Is that you, Lady Mima?!

Marisa and Alice. I haven't seen you since the Underworld.

Of all the places to run into you again...!

And Yuuka, for that matter. Did you lose something here?

My, my. You're being awfully rude.

(They didn't even acknowledge us...)

(We should've stayed home and played with building blocks or something.)

Long time no see, Lady Yuuka.

You're looking well, Sakuya. How are the flowers I left at the mansion?

Blooming beautifully, of course. Meiling tends to them.

"Lady Mima"? You must be Marisa's teacher. It's nice to meet you.

Ah, you know of me?

We've heard some rumors, and we know Marisa's proud of you.

...Lady Mima, if you were okay, why didn't you get in touch with me? I was really worried, you know.

When have I ever done that? You hardly have any reason to expect me to.

But still!

Um, can we save the touching reunion for later?

We're here to investigate this incident.

Yuuka, investigating an incident? Are you for real?

Is it that odd? With an incident this big, there are bound to be interesting figures to meet. You all, for one.

Hoho, you have a very immodest tone for one addressing gods. How amusing. Will you be lending us a hand?

Whoa, hold it. Lady Mima's one thing, but Yuuka?

Aren't you the one that said the more, the merrier? That goes double in this case.

Hmph. I don't care for your highhanded attitude, but I'll let that go for now.

That settles that. Glad to work with you, and we'll work extra hard!

The first thing Yuuka should do is cast Drive,

then nuke a bunch of fairies. Unless she gets a critical she won't kill any, but Elly and Kurumi can handle things from there.

Music: Enter the Aluren

Meanwhile Mima is going to just be flying around blowing things up with her single (:sigh:) post-movement attack.

Her Absolute Magic Barrier nullifies all damage under 2400... which is pretty much everything in the first half of the game.

Getting back to my main units, Suwako heads east to deal with all of these bats.

And two kappa are blown up for good.

I also decided to check if Alice got the experience/PP from anything a doll kills. She doesn't.

Anyway, Mima blows up the third kappa.

:toot:

After stalling a turn so I could clean up the rest of the grunts, I lay into Wriggle.

To think that my first battle would be with such a minor youkai...

Quit complaining. If you want to gather faith, you've gotta keep things simple.

Hey, I can hear you...

Yes, yes, I'm aware. Keep it simple, hm? Once I defeat someone as plain as you, I'm sure I'll gather some simple faith.

Music: -Fleeting Flame- Firefly Soul

I think this is the first thing Kanako's done all chapter. It's kind of hard for slow units to get things done when Magic Team is running around exploding things.

Now then, it's time to begin the pest control.

Hey, I may be a bug, but why do you think I'm a pest? There are lots of helpful bugs too.

I suppose that was rude of me. But they do say that there's only one soul in five times as many bugs.

...I knew you were just making fun of me.

Sakuya, Wriggle had a 0% on you. Kind of unnecessary!

Bugs sure have it nice. I'd like to live doing whatever I want too.

Hold it right there. I'll have you know that a bug's life isn't a comfortable one. It's a bug-eat-bug world where even children aren't safe.

I guess, but aren't you totally in tune with your nature too? You've only got one way to live.

Wriggle went down to critical in just two battles, so I had Komachi and Star finish her for some levels.

Rgh, you're really relentless...

Sorry, this is the only thing I have to give to insects.

But fireflies are so pretty. It's such a shame to exterminate them.

All you talk about is how this relates to you... If you think bugs are just there to be admired, you've got another thing coming!

You're still going? I'd rather get back to our investigation.

I guess foolishness is a trademark of younger youkai.

...Now I'm mad. I'll gather all the bugs, and-

!

Careful, everyone! I'm sensing an incredible amount of something!

You caught on too late. This whole area is surrounded by my friends. See us soar and wriggle in the darkness, and learn the true terror of bugs!

quote:

Wriggle Sign "Nightbug Storm"

A gently caress ton of bugs spawn in.

The camera doesn't center itself on Wriggle when the pattern first forms. I could have waited till the second turn, but I don't really want to wait through a massive enemy phase. :shobon:

Nightbug Storm spawns in something like 30 bugs. And if any of them are standing in the field, they'll get Support Attack and Support Defend.

I guess the idea is that they'd overwhelm me, but unless I started the spell with nobody available there's pretty much zero chance they'll even get an enemy phase to attack. There's really not much point even bothering to swat them either, since they only give 2 PP each.

Oho, an insect youkai~.

Ack, you gave me a really sour look.

Not at all. Flowers and bugs go hand in hand in nature. But I make an exception for ugly bugs that harm flowers.

But some bugs have to be like that to survive.

Then they can at least do me the favor of living out of my sight. Whether it be in this world or the underworld, I don't mind. I couldn't care less if they live above ground or beneath, as long as I don't have to see them.

You're so unreasonable!

Music: Beauty of Nature

So I'll just take down Wriggle right away.

Yuuka still has a 50% Double Image because why not.

It's been quite a long time since I last fought on the surface.

The surface...? Are there youkai in other places?

There's a vast world underneath, with many people you know nothing about. They live in a cruel environment, together with the grudges that have sunk into the darkness.

Compared to them, you might say that you're quite blessed.

Is... that so.

Koakuma, this youkai could be useful. Let's capture her.

I thought you'd say that...

If she can gather and control bugs for me, I'll never have to worry about magical ingredients again.

No way, I'd never help you with something like that!

I kind of wish Forest Blaze did increased damage. :v:

So you can control bugs. You seem to be quite the strong opponent.

I've never been called that before... You're kind of stiff. Do you hate bugs or something? They're living things too, isn't that kind of cruel?

I-it's not like that. Although ugly things are a little...

I could have had Marisa lead to drop Wriggle immediately, but I wanted to give the kill to Meiling.

Or at least that was the plan, but I forgot I had Kurumi move earlier. So no Cheered kill for Meiling.

But there's still one unit left. And she even has Gain!

As a moon fairy and a youkai of the night, I think we'd get along nicely.

I haven't heard of many fairies that were energetic during the night... Anyway, are you fine with nocturnal bugs?

No. I really hate it when bugs are buzzing near my ear when I'm trying to sleep!

Considering just how many units I have under level 30, I'll be seeing 1000+ XP drops from bosses for a while yet.

Wriggle drops yet another Firefly Gem, so I'm set now.

I'm finished...

Trying to overwhelm us with sheer numbers? Nice try.

Gathering a bunch of rabble will avail you naught.

Gotta hand it to her, though. She's got some pretty extensive control over bugs.

That could make for some awesome pranks.

So, what now? Should we start by hearing Wriggle out?

I shall accept this course of action as the best way to discover new leads.

Okay, Wriggle. We're the victors, so we're conscripting you.

...War veteran gods sure see things differently.

You know, I don't even feel like arguing anymore.

Yuuka? Are you and your band really joining us?

We met up, so we might as well stick around and chat. This should be a nice opportunity for Mima.

Now that you mention it, it very well may be.

Lady Mima?

Okay, let's rest up in the thicket over there. I'd love to hear all about what Sakuya and the others have been up to.

------

The game has been paused. Thank you for your hard work.

Lady Patchouli, Miss Alice. I've brought tea for your break.

Thank you.

You forgot the lemon, but I suppose I'll make do.

Hey, I'm here too. Why don't I get a cup?

Marisa, you come here to take books as you please and never return them. Don't expect us to be a water faucet for you too.

Well somebody's not getting a tip.

I wouldn't accept one from you anyway.

...Koakuma seems to only be rude to Marisa.

She still has a grudge from before, when Marisa stole her mug. Although for growing girls, it's common to mean the opposite of what they say...

Huh?

Th-that's not it! You're misunderstanding!

...So did you nail it?

Obviously.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 6, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Waterfront
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

I command you to send out bugs and gather information for us.

Okay, I guess.

Time for some reunion chats!

------

Elly
New Personal Skills: Unbreakable Heart (reduces Vigor's SP cost to 10)
New Spirits: Fury (33), Valor (46)

Elly's still alright. I'm pretty sure FMW3 automatically levels her up to 30, so she starts with Grit right away. She's one of the two tanks with Accel, so she's a prime backrow candidate. Especially for Yuuka.

Kurumi
New Personal Skills: Safe Spot (when the enemy can't counter attack, hit rate boosted to 100%. Always works for Support Attacks and Team Attacks.)

The addition of teams helps Kurumi, since now she can use her Accel on a decent character. Safe Spot is also a pretty neat PS, even if it's neutered on Team Attacks since Kurumi does such awful damage. Still probably the worst character though, because unless you're really desperate for Accel there's just no point.

Kanako Yasaka
Personality: Resolute (Hit: +1, Miss: -1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +2, Ally Killed: +2, Graze: +1)
Character Skill: Wind Barrier (reduces Solid damage by 1000, costs 5 MP)
Personal Skills: Sky God (changes her Sky rating to S, Move +1), War God (+150 to base damage of all attacks, Range +1), Moriya's God (various attributes are boosted in proportion to Sanae's faith gauge), Virtue of Wind God (+12% Hit/Evade to all allies in a 3 panel radius)
Spirits: Strike, Fury, Spirit, Snipe, Grit (34), Valor (46)

Kanako is a pretty stereotypical Super, only she doesn't have Guard so she sort of sucks at tanking. Her only decent post-movement attack being her combination with Suwako encourages you to put them in a team, but a 7.0 team is pretty iffy. Kanako is best suited as the lynchpin of a formation; Virtue of Wind God is a handy buff to have. It's just a shame that Mountain of Faith's minimum distance is 4, because that means Virtue of Wind God will only just miss the point blank attackers if I put Kanako as close to the boss as possible.
Of all the playable last bosses in this game, Kanako is probably the second worst. She's not even built to be a back row unit or anything, she's just mediocre. Which is a problem when you're 3.5!

Suwako Moriya
Personality: Resolute (Hit: +1, Miss: -1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +2, Ally Killed: +2, Graze: +1)
Character Skill: Rain Barrier (reduces Laser damage by 1500, costs 5 MP), Native God (ignores terrain movement penalties)
Personal Skills: Earth God (doubles the effect of terrain bonuses), Curse God (All attacks but Lord Mishaguji inflict a -10% Hit/Evade debuff), Moriya's God [this one is written in katakana] (various attributes are boosted in proportion to Sanae's faith gauge), Ancient Jade (changes Focus to Focus+)
Spirits: Assail, Trust, Focus, Alert, Fury, Triumph (35)

Now that's more like it. Suwako is in the weird position of being a Real who needs to spam Assail to really do anything, but at least she has the option at all. She's specced to be most effective against grounded opponents, and she's a solid back row character since Curse God will make her team attack actually boost the chance of the front attack hitting. Also Triumph.
If the two Moriya's God skills didn't give it away, Kanako and Suwako are best used alongside Sanae. With Moriya's God and Land, Sky, and Human on, the three can really jump start Sanae's faith gauge.

Yuuka Kazami
Character Skill: Double Image
Personal Skills: Bloom (+15% damage at 150 Power), A Flower in Return (counter attacks do +15% damage), Unreachable Flower (doubles the effect of Diligence)
Spirits: Drive, Pressure (a selected enemy can not spawn danmaku for a turn), Strike, Guard, Fury, Valor (45)

Yuuka is purposefully overpowered. She has the best MAP attack in the game, a ridiculously high damage output, almost always triggers Shield Defense/Double Image, and... basically she's exactly the same as she was in FMW1, only she's on the player's side now.
Be warned that Yuuka will leave the party after IN is done!

All Attacks
Boss theme: Let's Make a Flower of Despair Bloom (Sleeping Terror)
Master Spark theme: Beauty of Nature ("Gensokyo, Past and Present")
Player theme: The Flower that Marks the Changing Seasons [Ver. I] (Lovely Mound of Cherry Blossoms)

Mima
Personality: Calm (Hit: +2, Kill: +3, Evade: +2, Graze: +1)
Character Skill: Magician (starts at level 9), Absolute Magic Barrier (nullifies all damage under 2400, costs 10 MP), Ancient Moon (at 130 Power, +10 Mobility and +100 to base damage of all attacks), Supreme (at 130 Power, Hit/Evade rates +20% and take 20% less damage)
Personal Skills: Magic Charge (gives MP Regen S)
Spirits: Sense, Mercy, Fury, Guard

If you mixed Marisa, Alice, and Patchouli together, you'd get Mima. She hits hard, has ridiculous accuracy and range, and her barrier both works on everything and is for all practical purposes impenetrable. Her only real flaw is that her two better attacks aren't post-movement, but that just means she has to pull a Reimu and jet into enemy territory to counter attack everything to death. In the original version of the game, Ancient Moon had a third effect: it made all of Mima's attacks post-movement. This made her completely absurd, and by far the best character in the entire game. I'm still sad Sanbondo changed that.
Mima is another temporary character. Sheesh Marisa, you don't see Reimu's new overpowered allies ditching her until FMW4.

All Attacks
Battle theme 1: Enter the Aluren (Reincarnation, Time Diver)
Battle theme 2: On Top of the Möbius Strip (Complete Darkness)

Wriggle Nightbug

No discussion of Wriggle would be complete without mentioning her finisher, and she doesn't have that until next chapter. So wait a bit, okay?

Battle theme: -Fleeting Flame- Firefly Soul (Stirring an Autumn Moon, Illusionary Night, Get a Dream)

------

So you've stopped playing? Good work.

Now that Mima and Yuuka have joined, the group continues investigating with a new fervor.

Inside the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, a rabbit gone astray meets the fairy that announces spring. The two are trapped and end up in quite the dilemma. And who should come running but the Prismrivers!

Chapter 38 of Fantasy Maiden Wars I: "Rabbit of the Earth, Rabbit of the Moon".

Even if you don't call for me, I shall come at once!

...Sorry, I just wanted to try that too.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2015

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Mima is good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Hakurei Shrine
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

Reimu, wake up!

Blaaaargh. Wait, why is it still dark out?

And why are you all at my shrine?!

There's been an incident, so we all just came here.

Someone has stolen the full moon. If it isn't recovered, Gensokyo will fall into chaos.

But we can only do something while the fake moon is in the sky, so I've frozen the night.

Oh, okay. Let's do the usual then.

------

quote:

Tempting Singing Voice in the Black of Night

Just like with Kanako and Suwako, Yukari and co. join at the beginning of the chapter. So first things first I have to get them some skills.

Since this is a NG+ file I obviously have more than enough PP to spare, but it's important to note that Yukari starts with enough PP for a level of Support Defend and maybe two levels of SP Up. She wants those skills.

She wants the Mystic Memory just as much. For the most part, all equip items related to certain characters are pretty well suited for them.

Though unfortunately for Suika, she needs to ditch the Ibuki Gourd pronto for a Flight Charm. Her B rank in Air ruins her. Same goes for Chen, but Chen has more than one item slot so it's not a real hassle.

Yukari posted:

...Hmm. As always, the cloak of night envelops youkai so comfortably.

There doesn't appear to be any great amount of youkai aura in the area.

Moving straight through the forest at night like this is kind of frightening...

If you're scared, I don't think anyone would mind you falling back.

Is this because human eyes don't work at night... huh?

Is that a food stand? How odd, why in a place like this?

If she's going after the smell of food, Reimu must be hungry too.

No, I'm not. But...

Stranger posted:

...sure to... once~♪ ...tel Flowering Dogwood~♪

? I just heard a song.

A singing voice coming from a food cart? Could it be?!

Oh, customers? Or are you easy prey...?

Still A Stranger posted:

...!

...!

...They're not here to eat~♪ They're tanuki~♪

Hold on, who's a tanuki?

Um, uh... Who might you be? You appear to be a youkai, but...?

That's Mystia, the night sparrow. Akyu probably knows more about her than I do.

Yes. As you said, she's a youkai named Mystia Lorelei. As a night sparrow, she leads people astray at night with her song.

I'd heard she started running a food stall a while ago, but...

Who are you all? And here I thought you'd be easy prey.

Sorry, but we're neither customers nor food.

We're here to investigate the incident. Do you know anything about it?

Incident? You mean the long night? Well, it is a bit annoying to have so few humans around, but... In exchange, I get to sing all I want~♪

*sigh* I can't tell if we're getting through to her or not.

This is annoying. Let's just exterminate her already.

Huh? But I thought she had nothing do with any of this?

And that has nothing to do why I'm exterminating her. She a youkai, I found her, and that's good enough for me.

I think we all saw this coming. At least sing us a song that'll get us fired up.

I don't take requests. It's been a while since I've seen a human, so I'm not letting them get away.

Bird of the night, song of the night~♪ Take away these people's sight~♪

quote:

Victory: Defeat Mystia.
Defeat: The Palanquin Ship is defeated.
Bonus: Clear the chapter without using a bomb.
A bonus like that is a sign that the boss has some sort of dick move.

Music: Sage, Please Guide Me

Anyway, Yukari. She is full of gimmicks, and the main one is a spirit exclusive to her: Dream.

It lets her choose from every single spirit the current party has. The SP cost is set to double the standard amount as balance, but with the Mystic Memory and a future PS she can get it down to almost standard cost.

Yukari is explicitly designed as a backrow character so her vast spirit pool isn't that useful for her,

but it's a huge boon for whoever her partner is.

This is completely irrelevant to the current topic but this kedama dodged six 60%s in a row. :argh:

Back on topic, since I got Support Defend on Yukari she's providing the usual safety net. But since she's giving Accel at the same time, this means Reimu can dash unfocused into enemy territory without fear. Either she'll dodge, or Yukari will take the hit.

Or she could trigger Parry, that too.

At the moment, Reimu's defenses are three-fold. She has her own sky high evasion rates (with Shrine Maiden and the Yin Yang Orb giving her quite the buff), Yukari's shield, and Parry. She's pretty much immortal now barring enemies with Fury and Strike. But she can just cast Sense for those.

The other fun thing Yukari can do is use her default PS, Spiriting Away.

It lets me straight up teleport units to Yukari's side. The synergy between this and Reimu being able to forge a path deep into enemy lines is obvious, but you might not have realized I can also use it to warp the ship. Which, as you might recall, can hold other characters.

I won't be able to do anything particularly absurd until Reimu gets Zeal, but even as is this allows for some creative moves.

With that out of the way, here's the map of the stage. Mystia's stall over there is another bonus conversation spot, but I'm not going to bother.

Huh? What happened to Sanae?

She and Suika missed two 80%s on a bat, which proceeded to one-shot her. :geno:

After that I said screw it and just started blowing through SP. Stupid bats and their S ranks in Night.

On the plus side, it meant Ran got enough Power to bust out her combination attack with Chen.

The animation of which is particularly nonsensical with team attacks on because Chen runs forward to dive bomb the enemy,

then somehow magically returns back to start the combination, then does the divebomb, then warps back to Ran.

There wasn't much effort made to try and make team attacks work with combination attacks, is what I am saying. But hey, better this than being banned from team attacks while doing a combination.

She's pretty stubborn, for a bird.

Could you please not insult birds when I'm standing right here?

...Oh?

Music: The Dancing, Blooming, Butterfly Person A!!
The joke here is that Yuyuko was demoted from final boss to stage 1 boss when she reappeared in TD. People claimed in her next appearance, she would just be "Butterfly Person A".

Youmu posted:

Lady Yuyuko, there seems to be some sort of commotion over here!

Don't leave me behind, Youmu~.

Lady Yukari, that's-

If it isn't Yuyuko. How unusual, to see you out and about this late at night.

You too, Yukari. What are you doing up so early in the morning?

Who're they? I've never seen them before...

Yuyuko Saigyoji and her gardener Youmu Konpaku. The two of them reside in the Netherworld. Apparently she's in charge of managing the spirits.

Wow, what's an important ghost like her doing down on the surface?

Nice to see you again, Youmu. Are you two here to investigate the incident?

Yes. I'm serving as a bodyguard so Lady Yuyuko can go out personally. Both the moon and the night incidents are quite serious matters for Gensokyo.

Is that giant box the flying ship Yukari mentioned?

We finished repairs the other day, so we're working with the investigation team now.

So, the opponent you face is the key to resolving this incident?

Well, that's not really clear yet, but it ended up this way anyhow.

Shall we go with them, Youmu?

I don't see why not, but please be careful. The chirping of a night sparrow youkai is an ominous sound indeed.

Oh my. But the sound of a ghost showing up is far more ominous.

Youmu and Yuyuko team up.

Yuyuko posted:

Whoosh! Boo! Just kidding.

...Please take this seriously. We need to resolve this quickly.

Okay so first things first, Youmu doesn't have a Firefly Gem on so she sucks this map.

And unfortunately for her, the Netherworld Dwellers' Team (more commonly known as Ghost Team) won't be doing much better. In fact, they're another good example of a bad team! See, Youmu and Yuyuko have zero synergy. Youmu gives Yuyuko Accel, but Yuyuko has barely any post-movement attacks so it's of limited use. Yuyuko also hits pretty drat hard so she doesn't need Youmu's rather mediocre team attack, and putting her in the back to tank for Youmu is just as much of a waste as putting Youmu in the back just to cast Accel. And worst of all, the two have completely different effective ranges of attack so I can't even move in with Yuyuko then switch to Youmu. There is pretty much no reason to bother with Ghost Team, the two will do better separated.

I do want to point out that they're one of the game's few cases of unequal friendships though: Yuyuko's presence gives Youmu a 15% Hit/Evade boost, but Youmu only gives Yuyuko a 10%. Way to be a jerk, Yuyuko.

Anyway, Yuyuko has Rally. For the not so-low cost of 80 SP, she can give 5 Power to everyone in the party.

And that pushes Ran over 130 Power, which is where her default PS kicks in. Nine-tailed Fox (literally White-faced Golden Fox but that just refers to a nine-tails) boosts the effect of Predict, Belief, Guard, and Diligence by x1.5. So Ran just hulked the hell out.

Just look at that overkill.

I thought some foolishly-tasty humans had finally shown up, but there aren't many humans among you, huh.

Well, whatever. Thanks to my ability, you can't-

Oh for crying out loud, I've said this before, haven't I?!

?

I can see in the dark!

Music: Grilled Lamprey Under the Moonlight

Mystia is as much of a joke as Wriggle. Worst I can say about her is that she has Alert.

These two bats have been staying out of the battle up to this point, so I send Reimu north to grab their attention.

Looks like Aya already knows about you.

Does that make me a celebrity?

No, I think it's more that Aya's reach is just that wide... still, it's amazing how many people she knows. That's her reporting style for you.

Like Aya before her, Mystia is practically impervious to people without Strike.

But this time I have Shizuha.

A youkai that makes humans night-blind... what a hassle.

You say that, but aren't you a youkai?

That's true, but among us there are some humans too- wait, now that I count, there are only two. That's less than I was expecting.

Besides singing, do you also manage this food cart?

That's right, this is Mystia's Singing Food Cart~!

Hmph, could this be the appearance of a rival? Shizuha's songs and my entrepreneur spirit... Together, they're unstoppable!

H-hold on a second! When did you come up with that?!

It'd be nice if I had a cup of sake to go with this song~.

Well my cart sells that too! I sing to drinking customers, free of charge.

Oooh, that's nice. But I bet humans would get sick of it.

That's a nice smell~.

...? Are you talking about the grilled lamprey?

If you can't see a thing, an eel's just the thing~♪ If you do your best, you'll have lots of dreams♪

*drool*

*chirp* Sparrows are very playful~♪

Miss Ran, it's a singing youkai!

That's a nice singing voice. The lyrics are quite cute too. Chen, how about we practice something ourselves for the next feas-

The pouncing stray dog~♪ Had the tables turned and became bones~♪

?!

Chen, no! Don't listen to this song!

A bunch of Hermit Purple boosted attacks later, the first lifebar goes down.

Hey, hold on a minute~!

Good grief, she's trying to sing in the middle of a danmaku battle.

I feel sorry for her, but it ends here.

What are you talking about? The fun youkai festival is just starting.

A good girl like me sleeps all day~♪ But nighttime is the time to play~♪ Human hunting all night long, yay~♪

Be careful, everyone. The song of a night sparrow causes you to lose your way!

The birdsong in the dead of night~♪ Making them all lose their sight~♪

Lose your night vision while entranced by my song!

quote:

Night-Blindness "Song of the Night Sparrow"

Song of the Night Sparrow zeroes out the accuracy of anyone in the field, even if they use Strike. And as you can quite obviously see, the field covers the entire screen!

A youkai sparrow, huh. Not sure just what to think about this.

Whaaaat, we've just met! Why are you getting such a bad feeling?

Well, your kind is always looking for food while the sun's up. My henchmen rats don't really want to come out.

Once you know Mystia's gimmick as a player character, Song of the Night Sparrow being an attack is just kind of weird. But that's a topic for another day!

Reimu posted:

Youmu, it's been a while since you've had a danmaku battle, right? Do you remember the Spellcard Rules?
Since Mystia actually survived the first turn of her spell, a spellcard tutorial pops up. But you all should know how they work by now.

Wriggle had this too, but she died too fast.

Yukari was out of SP, so I had Aya use Tailwind to get Reimu to the spell's blindspot.

Reimu + Yukari + Ran did about 16k. It also got Yukari to 150 Power, which means Extend activated and restored 20% of her SP.

Anyway, I think there's only one way to end this fight.

Nazrin blows my sole bomb to clear the way,

Hatate drops her second Hermit Purple to ensure a kill,

aaaand Yuyuko has a 0%. Never mind then.

Ran and Chen finish the job instead. Mystia drops some Grilled Lamprey, which is really good! It restores 20 SP and boosts Power by 10 when consumed.

Ngh, whyyyy?

It was scary when it suddenly got all dark, but we pulled through somehow.

If I had gotten careless, I could have taken the ship in the wrong direction.

So, Youmu, did you learn anything by cutting her?

Hmm, yes, I think she's probably unrelated to the incident.

Couldn't you have guessed that without cutting me?!

For now, let's take her back with us for questioning.

I'm pretty sure you can tell just by looking at her that she doesn't know anything...

We can't rule it out though. And since we have the ship, we can question her while we travel.

Let's get going then. I'll grab the sparrow.

Youmu and Yuyuko, the entrance is over here, if you please.

Donna Donna Donna~♪ Goodbye, my days of freedom~♪

Clarste posted:

Donna Donna is a yiddish song about a calf being led to the slaughter.
Please don't sing such an unpleasant song.

Wait, what, why didn't I get the bonu-

oh right I'm not allowed to use bombs

I played this chapter over the course of two nights, though, so I actually had a quicksave. And this time around the spell's actual gimmick popped up: Mystia will select a single unit to fix her field on. On my first run she only picked units close to her, but this time she picked Suika who's a little farther away. This really limits who can attack her, and worst comes to worst might force a bomb.

The best way to deal with this is to surround her before starting the spell.

It's also worth noting that I've been leaving Dai inside the ship so I can just have her pop out any time I need to cast Trust on someone. And if she ever falls behind in levels, I can just send her out to heal some people.

This time Reimu grabs the kill.

Much better.

Maybe next time she'll actually hit. <:mad:>

------

I see you're leaving your post. Good work. Aya and Lady Kochiya are also appreciativ-

Woah, woah, what's with the "lady"? Don't tell me you haven't kicked that habit from FMW P yet.

Didn't you say that we should drop the formalities?

Gh, I suppose so...

We're finally in FMW I, so don't let this chance get away from you.

Anyway, how about you try that last line again?

...Understood. Okay, Aya and Lady Kochi-

Wait, no, Sana-, Lady Sana-

Aya and Sanae Kochiya are also very appreciative.

Wha- my full name?!

Is taking baby steps like this really okay?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 23, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Palanquin Ship - Bridge
Music: What's the Strategy?

Full Text

quote:

Looks like I'm joining!

Say, where are Marisa and Keine?

Eh, we'll probably run into them eventually.

Just like the prologue with the SDM, this next scene plays on both routes.

quote:

Mokou's Home
Music: Dark Clouds

Full Text

quote:

This whole thing has her name written all over it. I'm going to go take a look.

Shouldn't we get Reimu and the others?

No. I need to do this alone.

I really don't think they'd care about your past. It'll be fine, we ca-

NO I NEED TO DO THIS ALONE OKAY

------

Youmu Konpaku
Changes: Sword Arm now guarantees Parry will activate.
New Personal Skill: Spiritual Distance (+30% to Hit/Evade if enemy is one tile away)
New Spirits: Alert

Youmu is in a similar position to the rest of the non Reimu/Marisa protagonists: still good, but starting to fall behind the power curve now that 3.0+ units are showing up. Unfortunately, she's also in the awkward situation of really wanting a teammate to address her flaws (has to be up close, no way to buff damage), but essentially being the odd woman out since all the people who could help are better off with other people. Still, Infinite Kalpas is tied for second highest base damage in the game, Alert makes Youmu much more surviveable, and Spiritual Distance is basically a free Focus. And there isn't that much competition for spots right next to the boss in IN, so there's no reason not to use her. Just don't bother with Ghost Team.

Chen
Personality: Strong-willed (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Character Skills: Double Image [Chen] (activates at 120 Power, 33% chance), Shikigami [Chen] (if Ran is within 6 tiles, Hit rates +20% and 10% MP regen at the beginning of every turn)
Personal Skills: Sprint (Unfocused Move +2 when on the ground), Going Wild (at 120 Power, deal 10% more damage), Enhanced Shikigami [Chen] (increases the skill's accuracy boost and MP regen amount), Enhanced Bakeneko (in exchange for losing Shikigami [Chen], Double Image [Chen]'s activation rate jumps to 50% and Chen's finisher does more damage).
Spirits: Accel, Gain, Focus, Alert, Spirit, Assault (47)

Chen is surprisingly good! Once you fix her B in Air at least. Her Double Image and naturally high evasion make her hard to kill, she's got a crazy base movement range she can increase further with Accel, and once you get Ignore Size on her she even does respectable damage. Her one flaw is that Ran is even better, so if you've teamed the two up there's not much reason to have Chen in front.
I did a Team 9 run of the game once and threw Chen in as the sixth ranger. She was far and away the best unit on the team. Which admittedly isn't saying much, but still.

Yuyuko Saigyoji
Personality: Big-shot (Hit: +2, Miss: +2, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Dodge: +1)
Personal Skills: Ghostly Butterfly Dance (increases Yuyuko's final Evade rate by an amount proportional to the difference between her skill and the enemy's)
Personal Skills: Ghostly Butterfly Dance+ (increases Shield Defense's activation rate), Deadly Butterfly (unit's next attack will kill the target, limited uses. Doesn't work on bosses, obviously), Sense of Elegance (doubles the effect of consumable hold items when Yuyuko uses them), Return to Yomi (when an allied unit is shot down, 50% of their remaining SP goes to Yuyuko), Ghost Spot (Yuyuko regains 10 SP whenever she shoots down an enemy)
Spirits: Guard, Mercy, Sense, Rally

Yuyuko is absolutely amazing. She has bucket loads of SP, hits hard, can tank for ages, and can dodge pretty well too since Ghostly Butterfly Dance affects the final Evasion rate. So if Yuyuko evades (which cuts the opponent's accuracy by half), the amount the skill adds can bring her dodge rates all the way up to the 80s, if not the 90s. Yuyuko is A Good Unit.
Return to Yomi used to be bugged and gave Yuyuko SP from defeated enemies too. This made her one of the best units in the game, since she could spam Rally to get everyone's Power up to 150 pronto.

Ran Yakumo
Personality: Calm (Hit: +2, Kill: +3, Evade: +2, Graze: +1)
Character Skills: Double Image [Ran] (activates at 130 Power, 35% chance), Shikigami [Ran] (if Yukari is within 8 tiles, Hit rates +20% and 10% MP regen at the beginning of every turn)
Personal Skills: Nine-tailed Fox (Increase the effects of Predict, Belief, Guard, and Diligence by x1.5), Enhanced Shikigami [Ran], Swastika (Ultimate Buddhist can be used after moving)
Spirits: Mercy, Accel, Focus, Guard, Fury, Triumph (42)

Ran rules. She has a (possibly post-movement) MAP, a ridiculous default PS, a host of strong attacks that cover a nice variety of ranges, and high Mobility and Armor so she can both dodge and tank. Basically her only flaw is that her best post-movement attack is her combination with Chen, but if you're deploying Ran I don't see why you wouldn't use Chen too.
If you were curious, Ran's team names with Chen are Youkai Domination and A Youkai's Shiki and a Shiki's Shiki.

Yukari Yakumo
Personality: Strong-willed (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Character Skills: Distortion Barrier (reduce all damage by 900, costs 5 MP), Wisdom (at 130 Power, Hit/Evade rates +30%, and Critical rate +10%)
Personal Skills: Spiriting Away (teleports a unit of your choice next to Yukari, limited uses), Yukari's Portable Gap (Yukari can use a consumable item another character is using, limited uses), Border of Dreams and Reality (-25% to SP costs of all spirits selected through Dream), Rescue Gap (a unit of your choice is loaded onto the Palanquin Ship, limited uses), Border of Focused and Unfocused (all allied units switch if they're focused or not, limited uses), Border of Front and Back (all allied teams switch who's in front, limited uses)
Spirits: Dream, Sense, Fury, Mercy, Cloak (40)

Yukari is a lazy jerk, so naturally she's the most backrow of backrow units. At a whopping one post-movement attack, she's almost useless in the front unless she spams Assail. But in the back, she can embrace her true role as Reimu's backpack the ultimate SP mule. She grants Accel, Triumph, Gain, Luck, and technically Spirit to whoever's in front, as well as more gimmicks than you can shake a stick at.
I feel like half of Yukari's PS list is just the developers screwing around.

Suika Ibuki
Personality: Resolute (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Character skills: Ibuki Gourd (can refill her MP once per chapter), Oni (ignores all harmful size penalities. At 130 Power, deal 10% more damage)
Personal skills: Missing Power (increases Suika's Size to LL for a turn, limited uses), Sake Bug (the Ibuki Gourd command can be used one more time), Hidden Power (increases the accuracy and critical rates of all attacks by 20%), Reckless Power (increases the base damage of all attacks by 50 and their ranges by 1)
Spirits: Fury, Guard, Strike, Spirit, Valor (47), Wrath (60)

As a 3.5 cost unit, you'd think Suika would be an amazing Super. You'd be wrong. She has a B in Air so her single item slot is basically forced to be either a Flight Charm or a Shimenawa, she doesn't have a shield so her tanking abilities are actually pretty limited, being basically Godsigma isn't all that helpful now that it's not FMW1 anymore, and even with Oni she just doesn't do that much damage without Missing Power on. Really, as far as I can tell she's supposed to be a backrow unit.
Believe it or not, this is Suika after being buffed. She was even worse in the original version!

Mystia Lorelei

Mystia's gimmick doesn't become apparent until partway through the next chapter, so I'll also leave her discussion for later.

Battle theme: Grilled Lamprey Under the Moonlight (Song of the Night Sparrow, Deaf to All but the Song, Seventh Moon)

Anyway, you might have noticed that all three of Reimu's SA partners are designed to be backrow characters. They're good on anyone (which is something Team Reimu has over Team Marisa, because haha Patchouli and Nitori), but I think they were balanced with the assumption that Reimu was in the front. So I may as well look at them.

Full Coverage of the Shrine Maiden / Exorcism of the Newspaper Subscription Solicitor

Reimu C is just Reimu with Accel. And that's actually really good! Reimu's still at her best when she's in the thick of things, so being able to spam Accel all chapter really helps with that. Aya is also the only 2.5 of the trio, so using her frees up space to put an Oshirasama on someone else.

Equal Human and Oni / Lazing Around the Shrine

Contrary to the source material, Reimu B is the strongest of the three teams. Suika may not be the best in the front, but she's one of the strongest backrow attackers in the game. And as a Super, she obviously provides a Support Defend safety net for Reimu to abuse. She's even good at it since not having a shield doesn't matter for that! Pretty much Reimu B's only issue is Suika's low accuracy, but since she's not in the front she can focus her PP on pumping that.

Illusionary Barrier Team but let's be real here, everyone's still going to call them Border Team

Aya gave Reimu Accel. Suika gave Reimu Support Defense. Yukari gives both of those (albeit at slightly reduced effectiveness) and more. Border Team is Reimu at her strongest, with Accel and Triumph through Dream, a Support Defend safety net, a solid team attack, a 10% friendship because why not, and a huge utility role with Spiriting Away. The synergy between Reimu always being on the frontlines and Yukari's ability to teleport anyone to her side is obvious, but things just get silly once Reimu gets Zeal. Since Yukari gets it too with Dream, by endgame Border Team can zip across entire maps in a single turn.
I mentioned earlier that Reimu would be getting a bunch of upgrades across the game; this is the first. Or second if you put the Yin-Yang Orb on her, but hey maybe you didn't carry over FMW2 data.

------

I see you've stopped the game. Thank you for your hard work.

...As the Palanquin Ship tears through the night sky, its passengers continue their investigation. But before them appears some very strange youkai.

Why are they rampaging so close to the village? What could be going on here?

Chapter 38 of Fantasy Maiden Wars I: "UNDEFINED".

Please play it to the end!

------

Total Cost: 36.0
Kanako (33)
Suwako (33)
Mima (33)
Yuuka (33)

Marisa (34)
Alice (32)
Sakuya (32)
Meiling (29)
FA Nitori (26)
Komachi (28)
Patchouli (30)

Nitori (26)
Hina (25)
Koakuma (24)
Elly (30)
Kurumi (29)
Wriggle (33)

Sunny (30)
Luna (28)
Star (31)

I'm forcing Magic Team. You have 31.0.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 23, 2015

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Bring Mima, 27.5

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Team Frog and Kappa (Suwako and FA Nitori) 21.5

Also: Since the Aki sisters have taken up Super Inazuma Kick, I can think of only one major SRW Kick attack. Is Wriggle going to SHOUT NOW?

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Team uh... gently caress it I can't think of a name, just bring Elly and Kurumi leaving 17.5

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Team Flower that Eats Bugs: Yuuka and Wriggle leaving 12.0.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Bring the best team: Sakuya and Meiling for 7.0 left.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Team I Wanna Go to Bed, aka Sunny solo for 5.5.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Team Perishable Night: Luna and Star. Down to 4.0 2.5, I think?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You've still got that thing that lowers deployment cost right? Then bring Kanako along as well, bringing us to 0.

Edit: Disregard this then, seems I forgot how the item worked. Bring along Komachi instead, still bringing us to 0.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 6, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Oshirasama raises deployment costs. That'd only work if I had it on either Marisa or Alice, which I don't.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The Oshirasama raises deployment costs. That'd only work if I had it on either Marisa or Alice, which I don't.

Oops, my bad. I've edited my post to account for my mistake. It should all make sense now.

Anyway, i've now had time to look at the update and i'm a little disappointed Sanbondo is just going with Yukari having made the eternal night rather than the other IN teams contributing as well. I was looking forward to seeing what ideas they could come up with for how anyone other than Border Team would have the power to stop the night, but I guess they decided to go with the answer that makes the most sense.

Also, compared to last game Mima's entrance is a lot less dramatic, I guess that makes sense since technically all the games are supposed to be a part of one big combined whole, but with her appearance last game for only a scene it's a little funny that she shows up without much buildup for when she becomes playable. It's also a little lame that her and Yuuka have such anemic movesets, but I guess that'll eventually change since Mima doesn't even have any spellcards and Yuuka will probably get a boost for pofv. Or maybe it won't get much change since Suika has a similarly small moveset and she's a pseudo-player character as well as a final boss.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Man, I wasn't paying enough attention to vote, but all the chars I wanted in are in, just not in the formations I would have picked! Maybe next chapter.

*edit* Maybe if/when Mima shows for FMW4 she'll steal some moves from Touhou soccer.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 6, 2015

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Aw, man, I'm too late to vote in Maximum Fairies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
No attack videos for Yuyuko and Yukari? They have different movesets than they did in PCB, and even the same moves sometimes have slightly different animations.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway, i've now had time to look at the update and i'm a little disappointed Sanbondo is just going with Yukari having made the eternal night rather than the other IN teams contributing as well. I was looking forward to seeing what ideas they could come up with for how anyone other than Border Team would have the power to stop the night, but I guess they decided to go with the answer that makes the most sense.

Keep in mind that the reason for the stage 4 boss battle in IN is always that the other party doesn't realize why you've stopped the night. They had to pick and choose one side to be solely responsible for it. Although I guess they could have had Yuyuko help Yukari out.

quote:

Also, compared to last game Mima's entrance is a lot less dramatic, I guess that makes sense since technically all the games are supposed to be a part of one big combined whole, but with her appearance last game for only a scene it's a little funny that she shows up without much buildup for when she becomes playable. It's also a little lame that her and Yuuka have such anemic movesets, but I guess that'll eventually change since Mima doesn't even have any spellcards and Yuuka will probably get a boost for pofv. Or maybe it won't get much change since Suika has a similarly small moveset and she's a pseudo-player character as well as a final boss.

I don't think it makes any sense anyway. Her reveal in the previous game was very dramatic and kept open a subplot about her eventual reunion with Marisa (and what she was up to, etc). Bringing her back anticlimactically like this kills that subplot entirely. I think a lot of things in FMW3 were done the way they were not because of any narrative value but because they wanted to make as many characters playable as possible. That's their primary motivation.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 6, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Keep in mind that the reason for the stage 4 boss battle in IN is always that the other party doesn't realize why you've stopped the night. They had to pick and choose one side to be solely responsible for it. Although I guess they could have had Yuyuko help Yukari out.

Hey look, this is gensokyo. You don't need a reason to get in a fight with someone, it just kind of happens by virtue of everyone being jerks. And it's not like they always follow the plot to the letter anyway, and I think it'd have been funnier if 4 different sources did some magic or whatever to make the eternal night but most don't realise they're not the sole cause of it.

Also, now that the other character profiles are up, is Yuyuko the first character to not have a personality of strong-willed, resolute, or calm? Because it sure feels like it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey look, this is gensokyo. You don't need a reason to get in a fight with someone, it just kind of happens by virtue of everyone being jerks. And it's not like they always follow the plot to the letter anyway, and I think it'd have been funnier if 4 different sources did some magic or whatever to make the eternal night but most don't realise they're not the sole cause of it.

Well, yeah, "Reimu is a jerk" is probably the reason for about a third of all battles in this game, but the Reimu vs. Marisa battle is special.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Please say "Bitch, get out of the way" makes an appearance.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Given that line was pretty much invented entirely by the people translating IN, Blitzblast can put it in if he wants to.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey BlitzBlast, any chance of keeping a list of what Teams have already appeared in the LP? It'd make it easier to vote for entirely new teams if I ever manage to not be too late to vote.

Also that's a lot of incredibly broken characters. Yukari is basically the Pair/Tri unit any SRW player would love, Mima and Yuuka are just amazing offensive units. Let's Play Fantasy Maiden Wars I: Just Use The Final Bosses.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

No attack videos for Yuyuko and Yukari? They have different movesets than they did in PCB, and even the same moves sometimes have slightly different animations.

Yuyuko's only got two new moves, and Yukari three. I'll be folding them in with the rest of the new attacks.

legoman727 posted:

Please say "Bitch, get out of the way" makes an appearance.

Nope. :smith:

We'll have to figure out some way to throw it in.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey BlitzBlast, any chance of keeping a list of what Teams have already appeared in the LP?

Sure, why not. I'll add it to the second post sometime later today.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Whatever this link goes to, it is certainly not what it says it is. Or Touhou-related at all!

Not sure how I missed Enter the Aluren being based on Time Diver, though.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Yuyuko's special dodge skill is great because during support defends it can activate and avoid damage even though that doesn't make any sense. Also Mima having an A in night when she specifically said she is strongest during nights is strange.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Nages posted:

Yuyuko's special dodge skill is great because during support defends it can activate and avoid damage even though that doesn't make any sense.

This also happens in SRW and it is just as funny there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AweStriker posted:

Whatever this link goes to, it is certainly not what it says it is. Or Touhou-related at all!

Haha whoops, I missed the last letter of the URL. Fixed.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Hokuto posted:

This also happens in SRW and it is just as funny there.

With what character?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Nages posted:

With what character?

Any that you equip with a hyper jammer, but specifically, I recall that Tobikage does it naturally.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Streaming more fmw1 in a few minutes.

http://www.twitch.tv/ryza01

Stream over. Thanks for watching.

Ryza fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 7, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't really see why a character having a B in Air is so crippling.

Just put them on the ground.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Most of the enemies fly and you can't support defend or attack unless you are on the same terrain as the other person.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nages posted:

Most of the enemies fly and you can't support defend or attack unless you are on the same terrain as the other person.

Enemies flying only really matters if a characters attacks are also B in Air.

Are you sure that Supports don't work on differing terrains?

Because in the actual SRWs the way they work is if the unit can enter the terrain type, no matter if they're actually on the terrain or not.

Even if that is the case, that only applies to Support Defend. Since taking off and landing is a free action, all you need to do is raise or lower the Support Attacker.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Am I the only one who lands all my units at the beginning of every stage

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Enemies flying only really matters if a characters attacks are also B in Air.

Are you sure that Supports don't work on differing terrains?

Because in the actual SRWs the way they work is if the unit can enter the terrain type, no matter if they're actually on the terrain or not.

Even if that is the case, that only applies to Support Defend. Since taking off and landing is a free action, all you need to do is raise or lower the Support Attacker.

I assumed she had b's for air in her attacks but I just checked and I was wrong. Support attacks and defenses do require you to be on the same plain to work though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't really see why a character having a B in Air is so crippling.

Just put them on the ground.

Suika isn't Suwako, she doesn't ignore terrain penalties. Characters who aren't flying get slowed the hell down on the majority of maps (especially when they're focused), and on some maps you can't even land at all. And like Nages said she also basically can't use either Support Defend or Attack on the go (you can only adjust a unit's terrain before moving, so unless that unit's already next to Suika or within range to make it while grounded they can't do it), which restricts Suika's use further to bosses only. And, uh, literally every other tank in the game is better at tanking boss attacks than Suika so there's really not much reason to bring her.

Those aren't really that much of an issue though, since they assume Suika's in the front. Thing is, if she's in the back, there's a pretty good chance whoever she's with is flying. So yeah.

EDIT: Suika's movement problems were even worse in the original version of FMW3, before they buffed her Move to like 6 or something.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Streaming again in about 10 minutes with special guest, some jackass named BlitzBlast.

http://www.twitch.tv/ryza01

Stream's over. Thanks for watching.

Ryza fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 8, 2015

• Locked thread