Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Behold the final party, as picked by Golden Battler and KnoxZone:

The four canonical Imperishable Night teams, the Akis, the Prismrivers, the Subterranean Animism crew, and most of the Hourai crew. Technically I was supposed to deploy Letty instead of Tewi, but Ryza was really annoyed he missed the vote so this is a tribute to him.

------

quote:

Palanquin Ship - Hall
Music: What's the Strategy?

Full Text

quote:

So this is basically all our fault.

We had no idea Utsuho would fuse with Yatagarasu so fast. Actually, we're still not sure why.

Well thanks for telling us.

------

quote:

Hell's Artificial Sun

Music: Hell's Mantle

Elly posted:

I-It's soooooo hot here... I can feel it prickling my skin!

It really IS even hotter than it used to be...!

No ordinary youkai would dare approach such heat. So that hell crow up ahead must be-

Utsuho posted:

Ahaha! Burn! Burn hotter!

Conquering the surface will be a cinch, even with flames as piddly as these!

Is that really Utsuho?!

She looks completely different from the last time we saw her!

Her body changed as she got more and more unified with Yatagarasu! But I can't believe she's already changed so much...

Unyu? Is someone there?

Indeed. It is I, Kanako Yasaka.

Yasaka...?

We meet again, Utsuho. It seems you've drawn out Yatagarasu's power during the short time I've been away. That amount seems to be unmanageable for you thoug-

What are you talking about? Who are you, even?

Wha?!

What's going on? Don't you know her?

We do. Did she forget...?

Oh, I know that feeling! It all just spills out of your head overnight.

You people sure love to talk. Was there anyone like that in the Underworld...?

Actually, we've come from the surface. Perhaps you remember us? We're here today because of a request from your friend Orin.

From Orin? And we've met before...?

We met when you two came to the surface. Both Orin and Satori are worried about you.

Oh, I remember now! We fought you!

So you came all the way down here to get beaten up before I conquer the surface?

This isn't working, she's not listening.

Sounds like she was serious about conquering the surface too.

As expected, it appears we won't be able to persuade her.

You weren't like this before, Okuu. What happened to you?

What do you surface dwellers keep talking about?

Ways to punish you. You're not invading the surface on my watch!

Hehehe. Stop me, if you can! I've got the ultimate power. This'll be fun! Until your bodies melt away, anyway!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Utsuho.
Defeat: The Palanquin Ship is defeated.
Bonus: Capture all of Utsuho's spells.

This map is annoyingly huge. And as you might have guessed, I can't land on the lava, so this is effectively another "everyone flies" chapter.

Which is a shame, it's got a neat landed background.

There's really not much to say about the stage portion of this chapter, so here's a funny trick. Thanks to the Return to Yomi here, whenever an allied character dies Yuyuko gets 50% of their remaining SP. Normally this is almost useless, since if somebody died presumably it was because they were out of SP,

but Alice's dolls have a truckload of SP they're not using.

Throw in the Mystic Memory cutting SP costs, and the end result is Yuyuko spamming the hell out of Rally.

Though I have to engineer a situation where Alice's dolls die first. And note there's a bug: if one of Alice's dolls die, every doll she summons afterwards will have zero SP. This just means you have to summon all three at once though.

You can ramp this strategy up even further by giving Alice the Doll Master PS, which lets her summon up to six dolls. If you get roughly one Rally per doll, and don't care about Yuyuko's remaining SP, you could theoretically get off about eight Rallies.
The downside to this, incidentally, is losing Ghostly Butterfly Dance+'s Shield Defense activation buff.

One of the nice things about running the four IN teams is that every one of them has access to Accel. To be certain Sakuya would have vastly preferred Meiling's Support Defend instead, but hey it's something.

That's about all I can say about the stage, so I'll skip to Utsuho.

Who, thanks to her PS Yatagarasu's Guidance (+30% to accuracy at 130 Power), has really high hit rates. Sure Reimu's taking a -40% to her evade rate and didn't cast Focus, but getting 100% on her is still no mean feat.

Here comes the surface dwellers!

Up close, I can really tell exactly how different she looks now.

Not only does she have that ugly arm and leg, she's got this sinister eye smack dab in the middle of her chest!

This body is the proof that a god lives inside of me. An unstoppable heat is overflowing from inside me, more than I can control!

Be careful everyone, an incredible heat is coming from within her!

Just try and stand up to this!

Music: The Crow that Swallowed the Sun

Even with the power of the sun, Utsuho is a wimp.

She's loaded with skills and has solid attributes now, but that's like bare minimum for a boss at this point in the game.

So I've finally found the boss. Though if I stay here any longer, I'm gonna turn into fried shrine maiden!

The surface's shrine maiden... You came here to exterminate me, huh?

I would have been fine if you left it at making a hot spring, but there's going to be trouble if you keep on rampaging.

I don't know much about this ultimate power or whatever, but the ultimate shrine maiden is going to beat you and stop your plans!

Hehehe, then that means once I beat you I'll have proven my power. Burning you up in these high temperature, high pressure flames will be the first step in my conquest of the surface!

She kept going after Reimu too, giving me ample time to set up a formation.

Reimu posted:

This is the WORST time for this... Is my intuition getting dull?

Or at least that was the plan, but in a move that is undoubtedly going to make Nages laugh at me forever I forgot to unfocus Reimu. So she grazed a 95% (god drat it Utsuho how did you miss that) and died.

...At least Yuyuko got more SP???

I've lived a long time, but I've never met a youkai that ate a god before. No offense, but could you spit that bird back out again?

Don't be dumb, why would I do that after finally getting my hands on power? And a special power, too! I'd do anything for it!

Sheesh, someone's tenacious...!

Tewi missed a coin flip. So much for good luck.

Anyway, I finish setting up on turn 8. Losing Reimu turned out to be sort of a good thing, since it freed up Yukari to protect Magic Team. And since I was originally planning on having Kaguya do that, this means Mokou is free to attack too.

Utsuho, please stop your plan to conquer the surface! If you change your mind now, then I'm sure everyone here will treat you with understan-

I don't care about that! I'll just blow anybody who gets in my way away!

No hesitation at all...! In that case, I'll have to clear my unnecessary thoughts away too.

Your ambitions... will be slashed!

Everyone was talking about it, but I never thought I'D see hell with my own eyes...

If that's what you want, then I can pump out even hotter flames for you. Doesn't fusing with hell's flames sound fun?

Sorry, but I think hell disagrees with me. I'll beat you up and get out of here as fast as I can!

Normally Youmu and Mokou would be bottle-necked by their MP, but Eirin is right there so they can just spam finishers indefinitely.

Get a hold of yourself, Utsuho!

You're that earth spider. Uh... Yabame... ?

YaMAme. Your actions are one thing, but it looks like who you are inside hasn't changed one bit.

If you keep on raging like this, you're gonna bring a lot of trouble down on the Underworld.

Then before that happens, I just have to burn up all the jerks on the surface!

Nobody wants that to happen. Honestly? I'd like it if the Underworld and the surfac-

Ah whatever, it's not like I can just talk you out of this!

I was hoping Sakuya would land this Support Attack and finish Utsuho off, but nope.

I guess I'll just have Tewi do it and rake in the points.

Why do you keep on coming even though you're no match for me?

Is there no end to her power?!

Looks like she's still got a lot more saved up at least!

It seems she really is drawing out Yatagarasu's power. How exactly did they combine so fast..?

How? Oh, that's easy.

What are you talking about?

You just have to give Lord Yatagarasu everything he wants.

If he wants your right arm, you give him your arm. If he needs your right leg, you give him your leg. And if he asks for your heart, then you just give it to him!

If you do that, Lord Yatagarasu gives you his power right away!

You threw away your own body?! That's crazy!

So she sped up the process by being unafraid to pay any price...?!

Then she can already freely control the power of the sun she's been granted. You paid with your limbs to manage your inner sun.

Right, I can only do it because of this body! I made the power of fusion my own! Now take a good, long look at it!

...! Is this heat signature is coming from Okuu?!

Watch out, everybody! I'm getting a super high energy reading from her!

Lord Yatagarasu, the Black Sun. Thank you for giving me your power.

The ultimate power of nuclear fusion can burn everything away! Human and youkai, mind and body, I don't care!

quote:

Atomic Fire "Nuclear Fusion"

Nuclear Fusion's field nullifies Alert and fully restores Utsuho's MP every turn.

Who'd have thought the surface was under attack? The tension's way too high~!

She's totally different from the last time we met. What happened to her?

...No, her sound is the same as last time.

Really...?

The sound of the sky. A lovely, resounding one, free of excess.

Then I'm even more confused. Why is she doing this?

Hey! You girls are pretty brave to just stand around in front of me chatting!

...Yeesh, guess we'll have to think about this later.

Let's use our sound to figure out the secrets of hers!

Now, let the curtain rise.

Remilia has Support Attack, so I swap her in front for a bit to use it.

No I don't know why Remilia isn't just passing out from being right next to Utsuho either.

Blazing Hell, hmm? Something like this wouldn't even make me blink.

How are you so calm in the middle of these flames...?

I am the queen of the night. Even the fires of hell itself couldn't burn my body.

How arrogant of you, to speak of conquering the surface. I'll bury you even further underground!

The anti-Alert effect is only on the bottom part of the field, so Remilia's clear to blow her last finisher on triggering Yuugi's Support Attack.

By the way, Knockout in Three Steps did almost as much damage as Red the Nightless Castle. And that's with the Support Attack damage penalty.

Gah! In a place like this, any sweet potato would just get fried!

And any falling leaves would burn up in a bonfire!

Mmm, something smells good... Hey, you two are holding snacks, aren't you!

Did the smell reach you? Well in any case, we won't hand over our sweet potatoes!

Realize that you can't match the power of autumn! The power of this slightly overcooked aroma!

Nuclear Fusion's animation has a cute reference in it; the black sun that expands into a giant fireball is straight from Utsuho's original boss portrait.

Oi, Okuu. What kind of stupid stunt are you trying to pull here?

...! Why is an oni with these surface dwellers...?

Thanks to your plan, a whole bunch of problems have come down from the surface.

Anyway, you're breaking our agreement with the sage. Cut it out already.

Don't worry, once I conquer the surface, little things like that wil-

Nobody wants that, and I don't think anybody's gonna lend you a hand.

Guess I'll just have to beat that into you. No hard feelings!

Yuugi grabs the kill and snags Valor out of the ensuing level up. You know, because she didn't do enough damage already.

We broke through the power of the sun!

If you just suddenly throw around energy like that, you'll quickly exhaust yours-

Hm, that was so-so, I guess!

What? She's completely fine?!

I can make flames like that with just my pinkie. Now that I'm done warming up, there's all sorts of thing I wanna try out!

Wait, you're trying these out? You don't even know your own power?

Well, if I turned up the heat even a little, everyone else would just melt. You girls, though, I can do whatever I like to!

Yeesh, I don't think we're getting out of this just some scalding!

I can do more stuff than just shooting fire too. Lord Yatagarasu, grant me strength!

quote:

Crow Sign "Yatagarasu Dive"

This spell has a weird effect: every time Utsuho gets hit, she does more damage on her next attack. The counter resets every player phase so she doesn't do infinite damage though.

It also lets Utsuho move through my units, so it's really something I should have waited a turn to activate.

What incredible heat! I can feel it even from inside the ship!

I'm honestly not sure if the Palanquin Ship can handle this...

Is that huge ship flying? Actually, I feel like I've seen it before... Whatever, if it's that big then it'll be easy to send it flying!

Murasa, she's approaching!

Roger that. Be careful not to get directly hit!

Looks like you really DO have the power of Yatagarasu...! But was it really worth doing THAT to your body?

Of course! I finally have what I've always wanted!

You're useless, so hurry up and vanish.

There are some people worried about you, so no can do.

I'll stop your plans to conquer the surface, here and now!

But I forgot Reimu died so I couldn't immediately kill her and beat two spells in one turn the deck is stacked so heavily against Utsuho as is that I might as well give her a chance, you know?

Not that it matters since Utsuho wasted her turn on killing Mokou again. Yuyuko is just lapping up the SP this chapter.

Tewi was supposed to get the kill again, but she screwed up. So the Prismrivers stepped in.

Ack, so they caught me?!

I'm pretty impressed you managed to go so fast with a body like that though.

At full force, I could see the wind burning around you!

That wasn't nearly enough. I need more! More, more power!

But why do you want power so much? Is it all to conquer the surface?

Yeah! With this power, I'll make the surface OURS.

Are you a kid or what? Speak like an adult!

But I never had any special abilities. That's why I wanted power!

But why? You weren't supposed to be such a self-centered person... Were you seduced by the power of the gods?

I think you've got the wrong idea. Having power doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

No, I've got the RIGHT idea. The me right now can do anything! With just a thought, I can turn the surface into a second Blazing Hell!

We won't let you! We're not gonna let you go outside!

Nuh-uh, I'm going!

...Watch out, a high temperature, high pressure energy is gathering around her! The readings are on a completely different scale from before!

Lord Yatagarasu, please grant me power. A fire even hotter than before!

I'll blow you all away with a flame from my super-high temperature core!

quote:

Explosion Sign "Mega Flare"

Move -1 and Utsuho restores 20% more HP per turn.

Meh.

You fought off even THAT flame?!

With that much firepower, you might even burn MY coat.

Why do you always have to get in my way? I'll become the sun that conquers the surface, and then...

It looks like we're getting things under control.

I hope she cools her head while we're at it.

Just stop this already, Okuu!

!

All this time, you've always worked your hardest for Satori and the others, right? But if you go on a rampage on the surface, you'll just make everyone at the palace sad.

Right. Satori and Orin were worried about you.

That's not going to stop me, I'm conquering the surface FOR them! For Miss Satori and Miss Koishi!

What are you-

The surface has a huge sky, where the sun shines brightly! Everyone at the palace could live there happily! I just need to get my hands on it, and then-

That's not what Satori wants!

Looks like you got blinded by the sunlight~.

This is going nowhere. Guess we've got no choice.

My magic will blow away both your ambitions AND the fires of the sun!

You think you can beat me?! Then I'll show you a fire even stronger than before!

You're kidding me, it goes even higher?!

Looks like the power of the sun god really is limitless!

It needs to be hotter! A hundred times hotter! No, a thousand times!

Burst forth, divine flame!!

quote:

Explosion Sign "Giga Flare"

Kind of a mess of effects here. It's -30% to evade rates everywhere and -2 to Bomb range in the lighter blue portion. Also Utsuho gains 10 Power every enemy phase.

Also it's a MAP.

Sorry, but this is all I can take. I'm withdrawing.

That's enough fighting for me. Now to sit back and relax.

Oh poo poo that's right, I was supposed to suicide Tewi for the video this chapter. Who do I sacrifice now? I need someone completely... useless...

Watch the video!

Remilia said something when she died, but I was mashing so who cares.

Utsuho, do we really need to fight? We've already met with Satori and Orin. There's no need t-

Are you talking about that again? I don't need to listen to anything YOU people say.

This'll be good practice for when I reach the surface. I'll blow all of you away at once!

So there's no choice but to take up the gauntlet after all...

:toot:

Utsuho drops the Mini Reactor, which effectively gives the holder MP Regen (M).

No way, even that didn't work...?

She's running out of spiritual energy. Is this finally over?

What are you talking about, I can still-

Utsuho suddenly lands... straight onto the lava. Huh.

She fell to the ground... Looks like she can't raise her output any further.

Maybe that attack just now was her limit?

Why, Lord Yatagarasu? I still have to conquer the surface...

Just give up already. You lost.

And give up on that stupid dream of conquering the surface too, while you're at it.

...So, in the end, I still couldn't do anything...?

...May I ask about something you said earlier? You said you wanted to take the surface for Satori and her sister's sake. What did you mean by that?

...I was really jealous of the sun shining on the surface. Up there, I'm sure they could forget the bad stuff and enjoy their lives...

But didn't they move here FROM the surface?

That's, um... huh?

You probably mixed up Satori's feelings with your own desires.

...Still, I'll keep in mind that you looked towards the surface with hope.

Satori posted:

Okuu!

You're all right!

Orin! And even Miss Satori!

So you finally got here. We just got her to start behaving herself.

She seems to have calmed down. Perhaps with this, we can call the matter settled.

...I'm sorry I made you two worry about me...

...Thank goodness. Your appearance may have changed, but you're still the Okuu I know.

I'm glad you cooled your head, at least. But why did you say you were going to conquer the surface, of all things?

It seems like she's been a bit confused ever since heading up to the surface. It turns out she wanted to do something for the Komeiji sisters.

She did this for US...?

It didn't matter what it was, I just wanted to cheer you up, Miss Satori. I mean, ever since Miss Koishi shut her eye, you never smile like you used to.

...!

I never had any special powers, so all I could do was watch. It was so frustrating... But I didn't know what to do about it.

...You idiot. Don't just bottle all that up inside. I can see where you were coming from though, wanting to do something, anything.

...No matter the result, it was Utsuho's desperation that led to this incident.

Yes... A misuse of power, combined with her pure feelings for others.

...I never knew that that's how you two thought of me... Or perhaps I never made the effort to know?

No, WE were the ones trying to hide it from you!

That's right, we're the ones who need to apologize...

So it looks like your failure to communicate was the origin of all this.

...True. I may have overlooked something in their minds.

...We need to stop worrying about things on our own and talk to each other.

Miss Satori...

...On that note, it seems the discussion has died down.

Then should we get going back to the surface? I'm already pooped, but if I stay here any longer I'm gonna melt...

Good grief. We can clean up the loose ends next time, so shall we head back to the surface for now?

Before that, there's something I need to discuss with you, Sato-

I see, so you're the one who gave that power to Okuu.

Huh?

Looks like Okuu herself forgot, but there's no mistake.

But they had their reasons, so-

I already knew that, before you said anything. I don't intend to press this matter any further for now.

Let's arrange a time and place to talk about this later. We'll discuss the details then, please.

Very well then.

So this is where we say goodbye, then? Try not to get eaten by crows on the way out.

Thanks for helping out this time, Yuugi. You other three too.

Okay everyone, climb aboard. We're heading back to the surface!

The Underworlders head to the southwest corner while the main party piles onto the ship and heads southeast.

...So they're all going home. I lost my chance to thank them.

You'll be meeting the surface gods again soon enough. You can thank them then. We should be heading back to the palace ourselves.

...What's wrong, Okuu?

It's kinda late for this, but I was just thinking about the mess I made of the furnace I'm in charge of... It was even the one job you finally gave me, Miss Satori...

We can always find you another job, now that you're back to normal.

Oh yeah, you should probably take your time thinking about how you're gonna use that power too. I'm sure you can make yourself useful with that, somehow.

Yeah, let's think about it together.

...?

Huh, what's this I'm sensing...?

What's wrong, Star?

I can feel something something approaching from the surface. And it's not just one thing, it's lots of little things.

Isn't it just some more of Satori's pets coming to greet her, now that we cleared out the spirits?

No, there's way too many of them for that. It's weird.

...! We're picking up something on the ship's radar! Too many of them to count, headed straight for us!

Look up ahead, everyone!

?!

Was that a laser?! And it was aimed at Utsuho!

Where did- Who-?!

Is that... Shiro?!

Why is it...?! I thought we left it at the shrin-

Music: Girls, Surpass the Carnage!

Wha- What ARE those?!

Wh-What's going on?! There's a whole bunch of Shiro lookalikes!

So these were what were approaching?! But why? I've heard they were someone's familiars, bu-

Watch out, those are the things that attacked you!

Wh-What's your problem? Why're yo-

Some of the black kedamas slam into Utsuho.

Uwah!!

Okuu!

What's with these guys?! Are they after Okuu?!

You called it Shiro. Is this some plot of yours?!

No way, why would we do that?! We're just as surprised as you!

Who cares what they are?! Get over here, Okuu!

E-Easier said than don-

Waaaaah!

Utsuho's lost the will to fight, yet they keep attacking her!

What's going on?! Did they not notice that her rampage is over?

...No, that's not it.

Satori...?

Those youkai aren't simply trying to stop her, like Orin or the surface dwellers did. They're trying to get rid of the power she now possesses...!

G-Get rid of her?! No way!

C-Calm down. It's not like they could ever beat her.

No, what they're planning is-

Utsuho posted:

Wh-What are you doing?! Get off me!

Ugh... Gwahhhhh!

They're going for the eye in her chest... Are they trying to tear out Yatagarasu?!

That's crazy! Aren't they supposed to be fused now?!

Get off of her, you trash!

Rin posted:

Ngh, why you little-

Uwaaaaaaah!

Okuu!

...Miss Satori, Orin...!

Okuu, are you all right?!

They're trying to take Lord Yatagarasu...! But, that's... impossible... Lord Yatagarasu is... getting mad...!

W-We know! We're coming to help you! So just hold on a little longe-

No, you all need to run away... Lord... Yatagarasu's... power... is...

What are you talking about?!

!!!

Cue a giant explosion.

Akyu posted:

Eeeek! It's a shockwave!

What just happened?!

I don't know! But it's filled with light outside!

We're going to right the ship, everyone hold onto something!

We're getting visuals back!

Keine posted:

Is it.. over? But-

Utsuho's gone! And the bedrock around her collapsed!

Is everyone okay?! What about Orin and the rest?!

Yuugi posted:

...That was a close one. Might've been dangerous if I'd been a moment later!

Did you save us, Yuugi...?

What just happened here?!

...Okuu's power went berserk, and she shot out some crazy-strong flame. Just look up.

...! There's a huge hole in the ceiling!

Did Utsuho's power open that up...?

At this depth, it might have even reached the surface!

I'm sure Utsuho went through that hole too...

Shiro and its buddies leave the area.

...! The minions just fled through the hole.

Are they going after Utsuho again?!

Murasa, launch the ship at once.

Are we going after Utsuho too?!

If she used power this great on the surface, it would be a disaster...!

The Underworld youkai too, please climb aboard.

Got it, we'll be right there!

Everybody gets on board.

...We're all set here. Buddhist reactor at maximum output!

Scramble, Palanquin Ship!

------

Utsuho is a hilarious wet fart on Lunatic because she doesn't have Fury. You can spam Support Defend all day to ignore everything she does. Really, the hardest part about her is how much HP she has.

------

...Yuugi, are you sending another e-mail?

Oh, Parsee. What are you doing her-

Who cares? More importantly, why haven't you been coming over?! It's already been TWO DAYS since the last time we met. And sending an e-mail is NOT good enough!

Sorry, my bad. It's just that I've had a lot of appointments lately so-

What kinds of appointments? Give me that phone.

Ah, hey!

Let's see... O/XX: Go Drinking With Suika. X/△△: Go Drinking With Oni. □/OO is another promise to go out drinking. The day after too...

Well, it's not THAT weird is it...?

Hmph, I KNEW you were fooling around behind my back. Alcohol IS more important to you than I am, isn't it?!

Don't tell me you're jealous of sake again!

I love how Yuugi never actually denies it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Palanquin Ship - Bridge
Music: Girls, Surpass the Carnage!

Full Text

quote:

What the place-we-are-in-right-now was that?

Oh uh, my pet. Whoops.

------

Utsuho Reiuji
All Attacks (Yatagarasu)

------

I see you've stopped the game. Thank you for your hard work.

...Now that Yatagarasu's power is running wild, Gensokyo is facing an extreme threat. Above hideously scorched earth, the power of the sun continues to mercilessly burn the surface.

Everyone, please protect the surface! And please, stop Okuu...!

Fantasy Maiden Wars I's final chapter: "Twisted Tomorrow".

How could something like this happen...?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 30, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
what the hell byakuren

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Parsee being the cranky jealous girlfriend is strangely compelling.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Twisted Tomorrow

:siren: Music: Smouldering Ash :siren:

It's kind of a shame you're reading this chapter, since it means you'll probably hit the next song before Smouldering Ash really gets going. The songs this chapter take a while to ramp up, but they are absolutely worth the wait.

*pant* *pant*

The black kedamas open fire on Utsuho,

...!

who tries to run but gets clipped.

...Ergh...!

Aaaaaagh!

I guess they couldn't be bothered to get the right MAP animation because Utsuho fires a Final Spark in return.

-aaaaAAAAAAGH!

Cue another giant explosion.

Nue posted:

Ow ow ow, didn't expect THAT. Was there an explosion nearby?!

What's happening in a remote place like this...?

...!!

This time there was collateral damage.

...Wh-What IS that...?! This all used to be forest, didn't it...? But now it's...

...Don't tell me YOU did this?!

! It's Minamitsu's ship!

Nue hides.

We made it to the surface!

We're near the base on the mountain, so what's it look like outs-

...!

...No way, it's all burnt...

Did Okuu do all this...?

Hurry and locate the enemy. To think there's already so much damage...

Fun Fact: This is the very first time in the entire game Yukari makes this expression.

Utsuho's over there, everyone!

Utsuho! Has she dealt with Shiro's minions already?

I'm sure that's when the surface got caught in the crossfire.

More importantly, let's hurry up and get over to her!

The Palanquin Ship moves closer.

Okuu, can you hear me?!

Are you okay?! We followed you all the way her-

...aaaaaaa!

!

Wh-What's wrong? Don't you recognize us...?

So she really did go berserk from that earlier attack then?

...I can't read her mind either. Her voice is being drowned out by all the fear from the youkai she's attacked, as well as the out of control power of the god!

So she's completely lost sight of herself then!?

What do we do?! Do we go ask for help, or-

You think we have time for that?! We leave her alone, and the whole surface world becomes a sea of fire!

...Our top priority is protecting the surface. We'll use our full strength to suppress Utsuho's.

Everyone, please deploy!

Hina posted:

...What devastation. So this is what happens when Yatagarasu's power is unleashed without restraints.

It's like a natural disaster! How can we stop THAT?!

Worrying about the safety of the surface is fine and dandy, but please don't forget to worry about yourselves too!

As she is now, Utsuho isn't even looking at us!

...ugh...uh...

...Grr, I can't just watch this!

Satori posted:

You're going too, Orin?!

Right. If we can restrain the power of the god, then I'm sure she'll go back to normal!

You're still hurt from earlier though, Miss Satori, so please stay there and give us instructions!

...Understood. But don't do anything too reckless!

(...Those humans look like they're gonna fight that youkai.)

(I don't care who they are, they can't do a thing about that ridiculous power of hers. Minamitsu should just forget about them and get outta here, but...)

...Okay, people. We can't afford to go anything less than all out.

If we don't stop her here, then all this devastation will just be the tip of the iceberg! So let's go!

quote:

Victory: Protect the surface.
Defeat: The Palanquin Ship is defeated.
Bonus: Capture all of Utsuho's spells.

Compared to the previous final chapter only units, Orin is better than Sakuya but worse than Youmu. She can't do damage for crap, but at least she has both Devote and Faith.

Anyway, this chapter is the game faking you out again. For the entirety of SA, the player has been facing two bosses per chapter. So when you reach Utsuho in 54, you'd obviously expect there to be some gimmick midway through, like maybe Orin coming back for round 3 like she does in the source game. But nope, you take her down and that's that... and then you fight her again.

And she's much harder this time. She actually lost some Mobility and Armor, but in return her HP/MP Regens got bumped up a rank, she has a S in Air, her stats got an all-around buff, Predict, Prevail+, and Break Power Limit ranked up, Guard got swapped out for Shotgunning, Yatagarasu's Guidance was replaced by Berserk (at 150 Power, one extra turn and Accuracy +40%), and her danmaku field buffs final damage by 800. Which is a problem since it's huge and all the evil spirits on the field get the same buff.

Also she still has Giga Flare.

The goal for the stage is to hit max Power as soon as possible, so Merlin and Yuyuko get to work.

...We're only a bit closer, but I can already feel the heat.

Even as we speak, the fires are spreading nearby!

Let's keep moving forward. We're not gonna let it get any worse!

(...So Minamitsu and Ichirin really ARE planning on fighting for the humans. Why can't youkai just act like youkai and stop caring what happens to strangers?)

(If they keep fighting like that, they're gonna be in danger real soon...)

...! She's gathering energy again?!

Nue abandons her hiding spot out of sheer panic.

Nue posted:

Minamitsu, watch out!

Nue?! What are you doi-

Who cares?! Just MOVE! That crow's about to shoot!

What?! At this distance?!

!

Incoming bombardment!

Almost all of Berserk Utsuho's attacks this chapter are supercharged versions of her 54 moveset.

Murasa posted:

It's coming at us from port side!

Ichirin posted:

No good, we can't evade!

Akyu posted:

Kyaaaaaah!!

Like in the animation, the Palanquin Ship takes so much damage it's forced to land.

Minamitsu! Ichirin!

The Palanquin Ship crashed?! What about everyone on the bridge?!

We're still alive, somehow... Akyu! How's the damage?!

Heavy damage on the port side! Buddhist reactor power is falling! We can't fly like this!

That means the next attack will be their last, everyone!

...If only we'd completed the flying silo, we might've been able to dodge that...

!

...This is looking bad. We need to protect the ship somehow.

No, we can still fly. If we all pool our energy together... Ichirin, ask Unzan to help out too!

Got it, Unzan?!

...!

The ship takes flight again.

The power of a few youkai is no match for the Buddhist reactor! Don't be unreasonable!

It's still better than being dead weight!

We can't just run away when this is happening to the surface!

Hold on, you're seriously going to keep fighting?!

If we don't, then we'll never protect anything. And it's only thanks to you that the spirit cannon is still functional, Nue!

Why...?

Nue?

Why are you risking your skins for this?! Just run away! Isn't that the best way to protect that precious ship of yours?!

Nue...

And wouldn't you have been able to dodge better if you had all those fragments I hid?! Why aren't you mad at me?! Or can you not even do THAT when you're trying to look cool for the humans?!

Sorry, Nue. This isn't really the best time to talk about this, but... We're not trying to lick any human boots here. We're doing this because we have something to protect!

What are you talking about...?

My home is in both the Palanquin Ship Hijiri gave me, and in all the bonds I've formed since then. You're one of those people too, so why shouldn't I want to protect you?

...! But that's...!

We've restored our systems, everyone. Prepare for the next attack!

...Roger that. We'll talk later!

For once the player gets a full heal.

...Minamitsu, I still... Gah, this really isn't the place to talk, is it?!

Ichirin posted:

Nue?! Are you supporting us?!

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I was convinced by your little speech or anything.

...I just don't want to let Minamitsu's precious ship get any more damaged than it already is!

Nue!

Nue is a lot stronger than Orin, has great weapon ranges, and she's the only character in the game with Confuse. This baby halves the hit rates of all enemy attacks for a turn, which needless to say is super great! It should cost even more than 50 SP, but Nue's Great Youkai of Heian PS is dropping its cost.

Nue also has an unequal friendship with Murasa. :v:

This map has another really cool landed background.

There are five spirits with bombs spread out across the map. It's actually really important that I get as many bombs as I can before Utsuho starts moving on turn 4, so this would have actually been a good time to deploy Komachi.

Hey, Utsuho!

Do you recognize us?! If you can hear me, then power down.

...Ugh...

It's no use, she's totally out of it.

Just like Satori said, her consciousness must be being displaced by the out of control power of the god.

...UH...AAAAH!!!

Here she comes!

:siren: Music: The Sun Fallen to Earth :siren:

RIP Hourai Doll.

While Utsuho still has her MAP, on Normal her AI prioritizes her single target attack more. If I had too many units grouped up she absolutely would have just nuked all of them right away though.
And I know that from my first ever playthrough. :suicide:

One of the cool things FMW3 does is essentially pit you against all the previous climactic bosses again. Eirin has Remilia's stage full of midbosses, Kaguya is what Kanako wanted to be, Yorihime is rolling in even more bullshit than Yukari, and Berserk Utsuho is Flandre mkII. With her insane HP Regen and her onslaught of MAP attacks, she is not a fight I can win through attrition.

Thankfully, unlike with Flandre I have waaaaay more heavy hitters on my team now.

Remilia blows all her SP on a Valored Red the Nightless Castle. Berserk Utsuho will never use Giga Flare after she starts up her spells, so reaching the first spell ASAP is priority one.

Prevail+ is a real killer in this fight, so characters with Fury like Alice are a huge help.

We beat her... but she's still not stopping!

Actually, she's getting even stronge-

Her heat is starting to melt her surroundings!

Her power is on an entirely different level from before... Is this a runaway fusion reaction?!

If this keeps up and she completely loses consciousness, it'll be horrible!

How horrible...?

Yatagarasu's incredible power is still being held in check by Okuu's mental faculties. So if she loses those completely...

Yatagarasu will most likely have nothing left to stop him, and continuously release a tremendous amount of energy. Everything nearby will be burnt to ash, without exception!

It'd be like if the sun fell out of the sky onto the Earth!

...Uuu...AAAHHH...!

...! Utsuho's starting to move!

Watch out, here she comes!

quote:

Atomic Fire "Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction"

This spell nulls not just Alert, but also Grit. Only the nuclear symbol part of the field does both though.

Doesn't do a thing about Support Defend!

Since the threat of Giga Flare is gone, everybody but Reimu (who is on bomb collection duty) tries to form up as fast as possible..

The key to beating this spell without any major issues is to take advantage of the parts of the field where Grit still works.

And of course, the fact that Mokou just does not give a poo poo about dying is also very helpful.

I was hoping Nue could finish Utsuho off, but no can do.

...That's enough fighting out of me, I'm just gonna step back and see how it goes from here.

Like with Flandre, if Berserk Utsuho gets a solid hit on someone they are dead. No questions.

Tewi gets the kill again. Thank god I have two units with Attune.

..Uuugh...uuuugh...!

...Just how much power IS that?! We can't take that head on!

It's too hot, I'm gonna melt!

I don't think we have time to hope she's gonna calm down and let us talk to her.

So we've got to prioritize protecting the surface, and ourselves, then?

B-But hold on, we can't just KILL her!

Orin...

She's just caught up in the power of a god, right? It's not like she wants to do this!

You don't need the power to read minds to know that.

Do you really understand what's going on here? We don't have time for this!

But if we can just stop her, then-

Eyes in front, everyone!

Utsuho gathers more energy.

She's gathering power in her cannon! Is that the same spell she used underground?!

No, it's not! It's WAY worse! It's a thousand times stronger... no, another thousand times on top of that!

Is that even a number anymore?!

If she keeps raising her power this quickly, then-

Stop it, Okuu!

quote:

Explosion Sign "Peta Flare"

Peta Flare drops Move by 2 and cuts final evasion rates by 50%.

It's also a MAP with infinite range. That she can fire twice per turn.

Bomb and take it down ASAP.

Magic Team ends up finishing.

How about that?! That seemed like it worked, a little...

...Gah, aaaaah!

...!

She started breathing all funny.

...She's suffering.

So even though she's lost consciousness, she's still feeling pain...

Not just her body either, I'm sure her mind is in pain as well. She must be desperately fighting to stop this, somewhere deep inside herself.

...Isn't there some way we can reach her inner voice? If we do, we might get a chance to win out against the divine power...

Satori, can you still not hear her voice?!

It's still indistinct, but I feel like I'm closer than I was before. I might just be able to find a chance to communicate with her!

...Hearing that, we can't exactly give up on her now.

Right. No matter what fiery hoops we'll have to jump through-

Utsuho flares up again.

Mokou posted:

...Bring it, we'll see who's tougher.

If you can endure it, then I can too!

quote:

Atomic Fire "Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction Dive"

This is a complicated spell. At the beginning of every turn, Utsuho will cast Fury. More importantly, every time she hits something she gets an extra turn. How many turns she can stockpile depends on the difficulty, but here on Normal it's limited to +2. Which, thanks to Berserk, means Utsuho gets up to four actions per turn.

Oh and she can still move through enemy units like in Yatagarasu Dive. That part's a real killer since she'll lay down extra danmaku each time she moves, UNLESS

you bring either Elly or Yamame into the fight. Special Resistance doesn't block Floor Tiles or Spider Net, so they can just slap that on Utsuho and force her to stay in place.

Fury means Sakuya is screwed. But at least she got off a Counter.

I need to fall back. Be careful the same doesn't happen to you.

Kaguya posted:

Watching Mokou get done in would be hilarious, but...

:v:

Berserk Utsuho will not attack Orin. :unsmith:

Guh, uuu...!

W-We stopped it somehow!

Looks like Utsuho's attacks have calmed down, for the moment.

This is most likely only temporary though. She'll resume her out of control powering up shortly. If we're going to talk to her, this is our last chance!

...But Okuu's voice is still so faint. If we're going to communicate, I'm sure I'll need to be right at her side.

Y-You want to get closer to her when she's gone berserk?! That's suicide!

...I'll go!

Yuugi posted:

Hey, is that okay?! Yatagarasu could flare up at any moment!

This is our last chance, right?! I can't just sit back and watch! Because... we've always been together!

...!

Orin tries to approach Utsuho, but...

Rin posted:

Guaaaaah!

Orin!

This is nothing! If she has to suffer, then we'll suffer together!

It's me, Okuu! It's Orin!

:siren: :siren: Music: From Now On, We'll... :siren: :siren:

This is Clarste's favorite song, and runner up for best song in the game!

...uh...

...o...rin...?

...! She's speaking!? Utsuho's getting through to us!

Okuu! You know who I am, right? It's me!

...orin... why are you...

Why else?! I came to get you! Those youkai from before are all gone now, so you don't need to use the power of the god!

...good, i can talk. i have something i want to say to everyone. i've been trying my best, but-

W-We know you have! That's why Miss Satori, and even the surface dwellers, are so worried about you...

no, that's not what i wanted to say...

...i don't think i'm gonna make it in time...

In time for what? What are you saying...?

pretty soon I'll be swallowed up by lord yatagarasu, and i won't be able to hold him back... so, before that happens, i need you to-

! What are you thinking!? Ridiculous!

Y-You can't give up like that! Aren't we right here with you?! Who cares if it's some stupid god?! Just keep holding him back, and we'll go home together!

And then, from now on, we'll...

Utsuho flares up even more.

This is bad, she's starting to go even more out of control!

...what should i have done, orin...?

i wanted power. but all i did was cause more trouble for miss satori... i really can't do anything, can i...?

Okuu!

Things get even hotter.

...miss satori, miss koishi...

...i'm...rry...

quote:

Hell and Heaven Meltdown

Hell and Heaven Meltdown hits almost the entire screen. It reduces Move and all attack ranges by 2, and shrinks bomb radius by 1.

I drop a bomb and blast through it right away.

By the way, if any spirits happen to be alive by the time this spell is going you're going to have sit through one hell of an enemy phase.

...W-we survived!

What about Utsuho?! Can we talk to her again?!

...It's no use. She's completely lost consciousness.

No way, so it's too late to talk to her...?

The ground starts to shake.

What's all this shaking?! I'm losing control of the rudder!

It feels like there's some power drawing everything towards her!

...Oh no. This is our worst case scenario!

You mean this wasn't it already?!

When a runaway fusion reaction reaches its limit, it enters its final stage!

Stars that burn up their own lifeforce become unable to support their own body, and collapse in upon themselves.

You're kidding, a gravitational collapse?! If that happens, then-

The energy of the collapse will raze Gensokyo in an instant! And obviously, as its core, Utsuho won't survive either...

N-No way! Is there any way to stop it?!

...There's only one. Suppress Yatagarasu's power and stop all nuclear fusion. But stopping the nuclear reactor at this stage will, in the worst case, cause Utsuho herself to...

I'm still not giving up on saving her!

Orin, you...

Even like that, she was still thinking of US!

I can't just abandon someone like that!

...I beg this of you as well.

Satori...

Right before her inner voice vanished, she was crying. While apologizing, over and over again...

After hearing that, I don't want to even consider losing her.

So I beg of you, save Okuu.

You didn't need to ask, I would've saved her anyway. No one wants this to end in any other way!

So you're saying you can seal Yatagarasu's power without hurting her?!

Well yeah, that's the whole point of the Spellcard Rules.

Now that you've said it, we've just gotta do it!

Both her power and her heart, either way we'll just have to try to take it head on!

Follow my lead, everybody! We're gonna stop the sun!

quote:

Subterranean Sun

Subterranean Sun does three things. First, it drops bomb radius by 2. Second, it increases Berserk Utsuho's Defense/Accuracy as her HP lowers. Third, it changes the Berserk PS to Reactor of Life.

Reactor of Life disables HP Regen and Prevail+ (!!!), and jacks her maximum Power up to 500. It also makes her Power shoot up by 100 every time she hits specific HP thresholds.

Thanks to the bomb debuff, I need to drop two bombs per turn: one to free up the second bomber, and another to actually remove danmaku.

Everybody starts talking once this spell starts.

Okuu...

Until a little while ago, I was thinking everything would just work out in the end. You and I would get a scolding we'd never forget... and then Miss Satori and Miss Koishi... and the two of us... we'd all...

Chin up, Orin. We're saving her, aren't we?

But it's already too late, isn't it?! She can't hear me, and I don't have the power to-

Maybe not by yourself. But we all heard her too.

We're not gonna let it end like this. We'll all in this together, even the surface dwellers!

I'm almost jealous of how desperate you two are. I can practically see it in your eyes.

...You're right. Everyone here is thinking about Okuu.

This isn't just about you two, you know. We've all got things we wanna to say to her. So we're gonna grab her and give her an earful, got it?

...That's right, Okuu. Didn't you always give it your best, no matter where you were or what you were doing?

I'm NOT gonna let you get away with saying you couldn't do anything. So please, after this...

The secret to beating this spell is Fury. With that on the massive Power imbalance between Berserk Utsuho and the attacker won't practically nullify your damage.

Out of SP by this point? Well, uh, tough.

Once the music changes, Utsuho will start attacking Orin. :smith:

How are we supposed to go up against the SUN...?

Remi, everyone, let's stop her.

Lady Flan...

She's been suffering so much, just to stop herself from breaking Gensokyo. But at this rate, SHE'S gonna break.

You're right, there's no need for her to suffer any more pain. That's why we'll-

Of course we'll stop her. But as for that star's ruinous fate...

If that fate don't suit your tastes, why don't we ask it to leave the stage?

...But the method for doing so isn't written in any book. There's only one thing we can do.

Keep moving forward. And then suppress that cheeky sun.

I'll turn that fate no one wants into mincemeat with my own hands!

There was supposed to have been a video of Remilia getting Kaiser Novaed to the tune of Mazinkaiser's original theme, but sadly Fraps died again.

I guess it would have been kind of inappropriate anyways.

It's almost as if she's just sleeping, but...

She's steadily crumbling away. There isn't much time left.

I've already said this, but to Utsuho, the surface was a place of hope.

Hope, huh?

Those feelings would surely have become the light that binds the surface and the Underworld. And even now, she's burning her life away to protect other youkai from Yatagarasu's power.

So then, Lady Yukari...

I refuse to let those feelings be lost to something like this.

If that's how you feel, Lady Yukari, then we're ready any time.

We'll stop this berserk power, whatever it takes!

Anything is possible if we all work together. Even stopping the raging sun.

Amidst this devastation, we'll find a new hope.

Youmu has really been putting in the work this chapter. The nice part about this battle lasting so few turns (FYI, it's only been three turns since the main offense started) is that it means there's less of a risk of characters bottoming out on SP.

This girl's an idiot right to the very end. While all this is happening to her, she's STILL worried about other people.

Satori and the others too. They really suck at this "living" thing.

...You're right. All this begging for help, and throwing themselves into the flames and whatever. It hurts just to watch...!

There's only one solution then: we stop her ourselves. They're not gonna die in a place like this.

That's why we'll fight together, as fellow residents of the Earth.

Fellow earthlings, is it? Right now we're all covered in mud together, fighting for the surface. If only those on the moon could see us now. I'm sure they'd laugh.

But you were prepared for this, weren't you?

Of course. That's why I won't avert my gaze, and face this head on.

These chains of life that support each other... I won't let them be extinguished.

...Utsuho, you must have used the last of your strength to talk to us...

All I can hear now is the sound of her life force gradually crumbling away.

I don't like sad endings!

Merlin?

Why did she even do all this? Because she wanted to smile, right? She wanted to be a sun that would bring everyone joy... Right?!

No doubt. And no matter how you spin it, we're the ones who made things worse.

We won't lose to some out-of-control noise, will we? We know how to cheer up Utsuho, right?

...We spin together the sounds of everything standing up to this, and send them all her way. We're an ensemble!

Utsuho, you've been holding back this awful power all this time...

Do we really have what it takes to stop this?

So you say, but I see that no one's tried to flee.

That's because we all wanna help her out...

I don't know if I can do anything, but I do know that I can't do NOTHING!

...I see. We've gathered a wide range of species and power levels here, but we're all feeling the same thing.

The power of the sun, huh... This was originally a blessing that brought people happiness. I'm sure that's what Utsuho wanted too.

Let's do this, so she won't lose that desire here. So we can all face the new season together.

Let's bring our power together!

The pressure's increasing... I'm sure we don't have much time left.

What's up with those Underworlders? Begging for help so desperately... And from what I can tell, wasn't the bird begging for power too? Why should we-

They made mistakes, yes. But if we let it end here, no one will be forgiven. No one will be saved.

Plus, we have our own reasons for wanting to save her. You know what I mean, right Shou?

Maybe it's impertinent of me, who has never saved anyone, to think I could save her. But if, with our power, we can reach our hands out to her...

I've already made my peace too. All that's left is to get over to her! Then we'll take her home with us, safe and sound!

Yes, absolutely!

Okuu, you've been holding back Yatagarasu's power all this time...

This whole thing is just messed up. I've even got youkai asking me for help.

We won't settle for anything less than rescuing her... isn't that what you said, Marisa?

Yeah. This is all wrong!

I won't let anything else get hurt! Not Gensokyo, and not Utsuho!

Let's pool our strengths together.

We're heading out, one last time!

Watch the video!

Since Fraps died, after beating this chapter I swapped to a quicksave I had lying around for this video.

:toot:

Utsuho crash lands.

Is it... over?

All that pressure from earlier is gone, and it looks like she's cooled down.

But what about Utsuho?! Look, she landed in an unnatural posture!

Okuu!

Orin rushes to Utsuho's side.

...You're just sleeping, right? You're just tired after using all your power, right?

One of you surface dwellers, I don't care who, come take a look at her!

...Udonge, make preparations immediately.

R-Right away, ma'am!

Reisen pops out and moves Utsuho onto the ship.

...So Yatagarasu's power really did calm down.

Yes, but...

Everything's burnt. The trees, the grass, everything...

Nue runs off.

Nue, where are you going?

...I've paid back my debt.

Nue leaves.

Nue...

Let's lower the boat, I don't think we can keep it flying anymore.

Right. Somewhere that's not on fire, preferably.

Let's return to the ship, everyone.

Everybody leaves.

And off in the distance, Koishi pops up.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 12, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Scorched Land

Full Text

quote:

Utsuho will live.

I am going to KILL that fuzzball!

Not until the next game you won't.

quote:

Palace of Earth Spirits
Music: heart fault

Full Text

quote:

How could this day possibly get any worse?

Hi! What'd I miss?

------

Berserk Utsuho Reiuji
All Attacks

------

Don't expect the epilogue for a while. I still need to play through the big Lunatic update.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So yeah, the final chapter is really really epic and fun to play, especially for the first time. So many terrifyingly powerful danmaku fields and MAPs that you want to blow through ASAP which will probably leave you really short on resources for the final card where Utsuho just keeps powering up to insane levels.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It also used to be pretty much impossible on Lunatic because Utsuho's power would skyrocket to the point of invulnerability before you could kill her.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
drat if the visuals and music for the final stage isn't fantastic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I got the impression that you were supposed to use Nue as a panic-button in case you weren't ready for one of Utsuho's many MAP spells. They throw her in as a mercy offering and Confusion seems tailor-made for that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 30, 2015

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Oh, Satori :smith:
Oh, Orin. :smith:
Okuu :smith:
I feel really sad for these characters, good job on the writing team for making me care about their problems. Nothing for Koishi though, cause she's a massive dick.

All in all this seemed like an excellent final chapter, Berserk Utsuho was awesome and it she looks really hard, yet rewarding.
I would really like to play FMW P and I, too bad I have no idea where to get them. Oh well, I'll settle for this fantastic LP.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That last chapter or 2 really made up for how brisk some of the rest of the game seemed like
Certainly better than the exposition dump last chapter in 2, too

Smoldering Ash is a Last Remote remix, right? Pretty good choice

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I won't lie, I cry every time. I cried when I played the game, I cried while translating, and I cried again while reading the post. The song also makes me cry.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am sad none of the characters I would have voted for got picked for the final level and I am very disappointed in Golden Battler and KnoxZone for not picking any fairies. :colbert:

Also, Shiro is now suddenly the biggest jerk and I hope she gets beaten up. She'd gotten a lot more grouchy this game but it has been a fairly quick jump from generally helpful dream mentor to unrepentant bird murderer who through being an rear end in a top hat almost caused literal hell on earth. Though I guess if you were to count her lines she probably had more in this game than in the first two combined.

Utsuho was a pretty cool looking final boss, and definitely seemed like the most appropriate final boss-esque character from all the games. Although I do kinda wish we got more scenes of her after she ate the Yatagarasu, because through most of SA the team had no idea what was going on and so she got sort of ignored for a few chapters. Still a pretty well done story though.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am sad none of the characters I would have voted for got picked for the final level and I am very disappointed in Golden Battler and KnoxZone for not picking any fairies. :colbert:

Also, Shiro is now suddenly the biggest jerk and I hope she gets beaten up. She'd gotten a lot more grouchy this game but it has been a fairly quick jump from generally helpful dream mentor to unrepentant bird murderer who through being an rear end in a top hat almost caused literal hell on earth. Though I guess if you were to count her lines she probably had more in this game than in the first two combined.

Utsuho was a pretty cool looking final boss, and definitely seemed like the most appropriate final boss-esque character from all the games. Although I do kinda wish we got more scenes of her after she ate the Yatagarasu, because through most of SA the team had no idea what was going on and so she got sort of ignored for a few chapters. Still a pretty well done story though.

Sorry but the Akis are permanent and I felt the Prismrivers belonged cause they are the strongest unit and needed to show that off. I also picked Kaguya/Mokou because everyone else had a representative team and I chose solo Eirin at the end cause I am not so merciless to not suggest a healer. Everyone else was Battler. What I am saying is all the bad choices are Battler's fault and you should blame him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GB made me use Remilia.

Such a jerk.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KnoxZone posted:

Sorry but the Akis are permanent and I felt the Prismrivers belonged cause they are the strongest unit and needed to show that off. I also picked Kaguya/Mokou because everyone else had a representative team and I chose solo Eirin at the end cause I am not so merciless to not suggest a healer. Everyone else was Battler. What I am saying is all the bad choices are Battler's fault and you should blame him.

Alright, the Aki's are cool and you picked 3 of the 4.5 ghosts that were chosen so I suppose you're ok. You should've voted in Lily and Dai in Eirin's place as healers though. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Okay boss convos are up.

It looks like the Protagonist conversation is another route exclusive thing. Man, they really went all out with those in this game.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
They had to make up for the fact that there are only 3 route exclusive levels per character somehow.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I was wondering when Lullaby of a Deserted Hell was going to show up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Okay boss convos are up.

It looks like the Protagonist conversation is another route exclusive thing. Man, they really went all out with those in this game.

Really? So Reimu and Marisa don't get a conversation in the final battle if not the main character? That sounds pretty silly, they're still basically the second most important character in the route that's not theirs.

Also, from those conversations it seems that Sanae has usurped Yukari as being Reimu's partner which is kinda funny. Though it does make a lot of sense considering how the story of these games have gone.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Okuu, you've been holding back Yatagarasu's power all this time...

This whole thing is just messed up. I've even got youkai asking me for help.

We won't settle for anything less than rescuing her... isn't that what you said, Marisa?

Yeah. This is all wrong!

I won't let anything else get hurt! Not Gensokyo, and not Utsuho!

Let's pool our strengths together to reach Utsuho.

We're heading out, one last time!

She still has a convo, it's just that the focus is on Marisa and Alice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah, wasn't the unique skill Utsuho gets for her final spellcard "Furnace of Life"? Not "Life's Flame"? Or maybe "Reactor of Life." It's a bit more explicit that she's burning her remaining life as an engine.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

...poo poo, you're right. How did I miss that?

Also status on the Lunatic run: gently caress everything.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

drat. This game is so much better than the first two at setting a mood, it makes you forget that everybody is a godly immortal anime girl.

Also Okuu does 50k+ damage with a non-cutscene attack holy gently caress. Why isn't SRW breaking will limits for bosses already?

Assuming we don't get another chapter to fight Koishi, I'm looking forward to the summary of SA and how this game differs from it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Assuming we don't get another chapter to fight Koishi, I'm looking forward to the summary of SA and how this game differs from it.

We do not fight Koishi in this game. I assume they already met their "disturbed little girl reconciles with her older sister" quota with Flandre. I can't really see them putting too much time into it next game though either, which is slightly sad for an Extra boss who has tons of spellcards to draw from.

That said, Koishi is also literally the most popular character in Touhou, and the first person to bump Reimu off her throne at the top of the list, so maybe they'll spend more than half a chapter on it. They might even borrow some developments from later works that they wouldn't normally cover.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Koishi's in an awkward situation plot wise since her thing doesn't get resolved until 13.5. Meanwhile FMW seems adamant at ending at 12.

They might go for something original, or they could go out of order again and bring in 13.5 early since it doesn't necessarily require 13 to happen. Who knows!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I have this half suspicion that it's going to cover 12 first and then 9 is the Actual Final End because I don't think there's a better final boss in the series for a game like this than Eiki Shiki.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If they have HM happen without TD showing up at all I will be hella mad. Because the Taoists are the best and coolest. :colbert:

Also, Koishi doesn't really get resolved or anything in 13.5 either she's still pretty much in the same situation by the end of it isn't she? So if Sanbondo wants to have Satori and Koishi reconcile they'll probably just have to make it up themselves like how they did with Flandre and Remilia.

Edit:

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I have this half suspicion that it's going to cover 12 first and then 9 is the Actual Final End because I don't think there's a better final boss in the series for a game like this than Eiki Shiki.

I'd be upset because this would mean Komachi wouldn't get a buff until right at the end of the game. :argh:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's a Super Robot Wars-like, a wholly original final boss is expected.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Based on data-mining the Dream demo it looks like the final boss is going to be Mimaa completely original character.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
The demo of FMW4 makes it plainly obvious who the final boss will be.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'd be upset because this would mean Komachi wouldn't get a buff until right at the end of the game. :argh:

Komachi's buff will be she that gets replaced by Eiki. :v:

FMW4 has to cover at bare minimum the plots of 9 and 12, the wrap-ups of the arcs featuring characters from 2, 4, 5, and 11, and whatever random sidestories they want to fit in (10.5, Inaba/Inaba, etc). And since Marisa and Alice are crucial characters for the wrap-ups of 2 and 5, Reimu and Sanae will probably get their own plot beats too. Throw in the obligatory original story and the fact the game will probably only have around 25 chapters total and you get a ridiculously packed finale.

Most of the bosses of 12 and 9 are already on the player's side, so they might be able to streamline their adaptions a bit? It'd kind of suck if we never got to fight Byakuren though.

We know from datamining the demo that Sanae and Alice are getting upgrades by the way (Sanae gets the Assault/Buster packs UFO Suwako/Kanako shot types and Alice obviously gets the Grimoire), so I'm really hoping Reimu and Marisa get one last upgrade. I just want to hear arranges of Spring Lane and Magus Night, is that so wrong? :negative:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I can't wait to see the final boss of the Fantasy Maiden Wars franchise, Taisui Xingjun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

hosed up if true. Komachi is secretly the most badass touhou and I am upset when people don't realise this.

Nages posted:

The demo of FMW4 makes it plainly obvious who the final boss will be.

Sheepu might just be a pawn in the machinations of a greater evil someone else could be the final boss. Also the final boss should be Miko because she is basically a super-villain and has the perfect personality to be a jrpg final boss.

Edit:

BlitzBlast posted:

We know from datamining the demo that Sanae and Alice are getting upgrades by the way (Sanae gets the Assault/Buster packs UFO Suwako/Kanako shot types and Alice obviously gets the Grimoire), so I'm really hoping Reimu and Marisa get one last upgrade. I just want to hear arranges of Spring Lane and Magus Night, is that so wrong? :negative:

That sounds cool. I too hope that Spring Lane at least gets an arrangement because it is my favourite Reimu theme.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

FMW4 has to cover at bare minimum the plots of 9 and 12, the wrap-ups of the arcs featuring characters from 2, 4, 5, and 11, and whatever random sidestories they want to fit in (10.5, Inaba/Inaba, etc). And since Marisa and Alice are crucial characters for the wrap-ups of 2 and 5, Reimu and Sanae will probably get their own plot beats too. Throw in the obligatory original story and the fact the game will probably only have around 25 chapters total and you get a ridiculously packed finale.

Most of the bosses of 12 and 9 are already on the player's side, so they might be able to streamline their adaptions a bit? It'd kind of suck if we never got to fight Byakuren though.

I wonder how a Byakuren fight would be justified

In UFO it was Reimu/Marisa/Sanae going "whoa hey now wait a minute what's this about yokai being under humans ummmm" which kind of falls flat in this setting. Also Shou already stated why she was sealed away back in 2 and the entire cast is actively helping them beyond Nue & Kogasa.
i guess they could still just fight because it'd be a welcome to gensokyo but that would be kind of lame for someone who had 2.5 games of build up

9's plot was kind of aimless by design, so they'll probably focus on Yuuka and friends until the Eiki fight?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I will laugh if they try to use Medicine's doll rights thing as some sort of metaphor for human-youkai oppression.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

rannum posted:

I wonder how a Byakuren fight would be justified

In UFO it was Reimu/Marisa/Sanae going "whoa hey now wait a minute what's this about yokai being under humans ummmm" which kind of falls flat in this setting. Also Shou already stated why she was sealed away back in 2 and the entire cast is actively helping them beyond Nue & Kogasa.
i guess they could still just fight because it'd be a welcome to gensokyo but that would be kind of lame for someone who had 2.5 games of build up

9's plot was kind of aimless by design, so they'll probably focus on Yuuka and friends until the Eiki fight?

I don't see how a Byakuren fight is harder to justify in this setting because in these games youkai have caused an epidemic in the human village through the scarlet mist, stole spring and almost caused an eternal winter, kidnapped the moon out of paranoia, and almost turned gensokyo into literal hell on earth. Youkai are still kinda big jerks who cause lots of problems for everybody and humans haven't done anything wrong.

I can still see the protagonists getting really mad about being told humans are oppressive to youkai after all that, and I can see most of the other characters getting really mad at the suggestion that they are below humans and not actually superior to them in every way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The problem is that the protagonists already know Shou's backstory, know exactly who she's trying to free, and seemingly have no problem with it. There's nothing about Byakuren's ideals that would come as a surprise at this point, and they've even pledged to help out however they can. Basically they're already best buds with the entire cast of UFO, so you'd have to do some gymnastics to turn them into even temporary enemies.

I mean, there's precedent with Youmu and Keine so it's not impossible, but the fact that there's so many of them at once makes it that much more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'm pretty sure that Nue still hates the human chars, and she might be able to convince Byakuren that her youkai friends are being taken advantage and abused for convenience.

• Locked thread