Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Nice to see this LP. I enjoyed the last one a lot.

:siren: History alert ahead :hist101: :siren:

Mokou's last PS (Japanese wiki link, so spoiler I guess?) is actually referring to a tactic (Japanese link) used by a Shimazu daimyo during the Battle of Sekigahara, where he periodically sent out small groups of troops on a suicide mission to slow down the enemies while he escaped. He ended up returning to his territories with only about 80 persons left.

A lot less :black101: than fighting by throwing suicidal troops at your enemies to attack I guess.

Meiling's Last Stand ability, on the other hand, refers to the Battle of Jingxing where the famous general Han Xin led his troops to a bridgehead with a river to their back before fighting a superior army (which means they didn't get to escape if they lost). After their victory, the officers asked Han why he made such an odd deployment, and Han went "well, would you even bother to fight if I gave you an escape route? :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

HGH posted:

Hmm...That's funny. This is very reminiscent of something that a Berber/Ummayad General did in Gibraltar. After landing there with his troops, he suppsoedly burned down all their ships and declared:
"O People ! There is nowhere to run away! The sea is behind you, and the enemy in front of you!"
I guess uh... great minds think alike? Despite a 500+ year gap?

That's interesting. Another great Chinese general, Xiang Yu, did something similar in the Battle of Julu where he made his soldiers sink their ships, destroy all the cooking utensils along with all but three days' worth of supplies before fighting another superior enemy troop (and won).

Desperate moves are effective I guess.

Pureauthor posted:

It's also a principle in the Art of War to cut off your escape route so the army fights with only victory or death in mind,

Yeah - in fact, Han Xin quoted that line in that smug reply too.

• Locked thread