Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I tried playing this game when it first came out, but then I encountered a bug that corrupted my save and decided to wait for the translation. And I guess we all know how that turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...does anyone else find it weird that the plot of MoF is stuck into this game named after PCB?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Also Sanae got a lot of focus in FMW1 so it would be kind of weird if she just sat around for three more incidents before finally doing something. MoF is in fall while PCB is in spring anyways, so it works out chronologically.

The fact that there's a 6 month gap in the middle of the game makes the whole thing even weirder, honestly.
Personally, I had excepted her to do some more maneuvering in the background of a couple games before finally coming into the spotlight for the third or fourth game. Having the entirety of MoF at the very beginning of the second game just makes the whole thing feel pointless. Why'd they even bother with Sanae the first time around? It's not foreshadowing it it just happens immediately.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 5, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

I remember hearing something similar, but it was a Scarlet Sandwich since someone was voted right between Remilia and Flandre. Is this "sister sandwich" just... something that gets latched onto for some bizarre, possibly creepy reason?

It's just kind of funny since it happens every year. There are worse reasons to be memes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Of course that statement is amusingly ironic since by all accounts Mokou doesn't take care of her health at all.

It's her "stop asking questions" explanation for why she doesn't age.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HGH posted:

It's kinda crazy how rough and experimental the first game looks by comparison. At the time I thought it was really good but looking at this and its sequel it's just insane how much they improved on the formula.

Best of luck with the translation.

FMW3 makes this game look rough and experimental. Like, it's actually somewhat painful to play this one afterward, if only because the menus are so horribly designed (relatively). They also improved the font resolution.

Anyway, I decided to replay this game after beating FMW3, and realized how terrible I am at it. I suppose it doesn't help that I don't understand any of the SRW mechanics like size. I guess this LP taught me how range works? That would have been nice to know earlier. Anyway, I ended up timing out a number of spellcards which is surprisingly effective if you're having trouble. Even if you hate yourself for it, as a gamer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

If you kappa flooded the river, it would have been harder to enter the mountain.

You've gotten pretty carefree. Do you even know how dangerous that would be?

Says the kappa who blew up a mountain to cause a landslide because they were too lazy to build a dam.

It's too bad that FA Nitori is nearly identical to her original form. This would have been a nice place in the plot to get a big upgrade, and as you mentioned she sort of fades into insignificance in FMW3. Okay I can't remember if she's good for the rest of PCB because I ended up timing everything out.

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly I'm kind of tempted to just skip 20R and move onto 21, because that's when the MoF section of this game finally picks up.

And poo poo, 20R is Stage 2. who even cares about hina

You should definitely skip Reimu where possible because Reimu is boring. I just replayed FMW3 on Reimu's route and it is absolutely shocking how horrible her path is compared to Marisa's. Even though I had already heard about it, it was still shocking.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 29, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Uh with the exception of the upgrade chapter's plot, Reimu's FMW3 route is straight up more fun/interesting than Marisa's so not really sure what you're talking about.

I mean I guess if you like annoying bonuses and chapters that are practically cutscenes that's one thing but you know. Opinions.

I was talking about the upgrade chapter, but I didn't want to mention it specifically in case we were worried about spoilers. To be honest I don't actually remember any other part of Marisa's route so maybe you have a point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Well, um...

Have you ever watched a Gundam series before?

Because the red Kappa is completely a parody of Gundam's most famous bad guy, Char Aznable.

Do most Gundam series contain references to Char? I know the meme through pop-cultural osmosis, but I don't think watching any of the newer ones would teach you that factoid. More to the point though, wasn't the reference pointed out by Blitz in the post?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

At least one of those is like a super-mode or something, which doesn't really feel like the same thing. Also referenced separately by one of Reisen's attacks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Huh, I stand corrected then.

...what exactly would three times faster look like with these game mechanics? Triple mobility seems like it would be absurd given the scale (I think that would put her higher than Yorihime), but movement range seems underwhelming.

vvvv Okay.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 29, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

And this is the precise moment of the game where it starts throwing characters at you. Three more fairies! It's not so bad for now, but they just keep piling up over time, unlike E which maintained a pretty focused cast. I mean, it's not even a problem in terms of deploying your favorites every map, but it makes the dialog a slog sometimes because every single person has to chime in on every conversation. Well, that's just my opinion as someone who skipped over most it; maybe it was all hilarious.

Anyway, a filler chapter for a filler boss. We were just obligated to fight Hina at some point, for necessarily contrived reason since she's a generally nice person. Fun fact: she's technically more like a youkai than a god since she feeds off of misfortune instead of faith. Which makes Reimu's exchange with her during the spellcard declaration conversation sort of interesting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just find it funny that you end up with the entire population of Gensokyo following you around everywhere. But the "random tangents" that you mentioned just started to annoy me after a while, possibly because translating is more tiring than reading, even if it's just in my head. You always have that core group of people (fairies) who have no idea what's going on and are just following you because, so the game giving them stuff to say just makes things take longer. Then again, irreverent conversations are very Touhou, and they do do a good job of continuously characterizing everyone even when you have 56 characters to deploy by the final chapter of FMW I, not even counting the people who join in the middle of battle a la Sakuya in E.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, personally I really enjoy the spellcard declaration dialog, where they kinda sorta explain why it's called what it's called, but there's only so much "fairies dicking around" that I can take before I burn out on it. In general though, I have a soft spot for retelling the Touhou stories as actual stories so I like the fact that they tried. Even if I mostly just skip to the villain dialog.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Along with "capture all spellcards" it's one of the bonuses they put in when they don't have better ideas.

"Don't use bombs" is when they have some fun danmaku effect they want you to suffer through.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Looks like most of Marisa's team died.

That said, the total death count doesn't seem so bad, or maybe I'm just a terrible player with low standards. I'm pretty sure I've lost more people than that to a single map spellcard and just played through it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I really like Momiji for some reason. Probably because she's not being reduced to a joke dog character here. For what it's worth, her basic attacks are "no-slash", where "no" is a Japanese character (の). So basically it's Z-slash or X-slash, except more Japanese.

BlitzBlast posted:

Is it really okay for the teacher of the temple elementary school to be leading an invasion?

In case anyone's confused about this, this doesn't actually mean there's a temple in Gensokyo (yet). It's a historical thing where Buddhist temples founded the first schools available to non-nobility, and the name stuck around even when the temples stopped being involved. Or maybe no one else was confused and I was the only one who even noticed this because someone yelled at me about it before.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Only for the past few chapters of this game. And suddenly deciding to stop caring about everything other than beating people up is rather in-character for her.

This isn't the end of her shrine maiden doubt.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Only new characters (or at least bosses) get subbed attack videos. Most of the returning crew just use their FMW1 lines.

The animation quality also noticeably improves between games, and the older characters start to seem relatively bad since they reuse their animations. Like, Youmu and Keine both have attacks where they jump into the air, but they don't have any "jumping" frames so it looks like they just slide off the top of the screen in a standing pose. I cannot unsee this. I don't think anyone has this problem in FMW2, and by FMW3 new characters with new jumping attacks get their own fancy jumping animations. But Youmu and Keine still slide off the top.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, that's a shame. Well, if you don't have time then you don't have time.

BlitzBlast posted:

Yup, we've got two. There's me, Suwako, and her, Kanako. Together we're the two pillars of Moriya shrine!

Poor Sanae always gets left out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

While I'm not sure it's actually interesting as a gameplay mechanic, I really liked the thematic progression of Yuyuko's fight. Each of her spellcards makes healing less and less effective than the previous one, until her final one makes healing kill you (not that you'd be healing at that point). It gives a strange sense of urgency to the fight, like you're on a time limit before you die. Throw in her incredibly calm battle theme and the way she totally ignores you in her battle dialog and the whole thing is really eerie. Almost makes up for the fact that they totally failed to make PCB's plot interesting in this game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's strange to hear that they didn't do much with PCB since I always thought of it as one the games with the most backstory, so I thought they'd be able to extrapolate more from it. Although the backstory is pretty much, "Yuyuko has a ridiculously tragic past. Except she forgot it because she doesn't give a gently caress." Does Yuyuko at least speak entirely in obtuse metaphors that not-so-subtly insult everyone around her, because one of the things I was most interested in about the LP was seeing Yuyuko's dialogue translated since considering her lines in the actual games it seems like it'd be hell.

Yuyuko pretty much just ignores you and rambles to herself. Could be obtuse insults though, I was just skimming it.

Yuyuko's entire backstory is explained by Yukari in a monologue during the Yukari fight. Yukari actually has no reason to fight you in this game: she just suddenly appears and goes "story time!" and you fight her while she's explaining stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't know what #touhou means.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh, are you done so soon? I'm not impressed.

Neither was I. They hype her up so much, but the fight itself is pretty unmemorable.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eeepies posted:

エリー leaving 10.

I'll be honest that I don't know who this is, but I'm hoping it's Kurumi.

So close.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

スターサファイア

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You totally skipped the prologue to Reimu's side, which explains why they're fighting Nazrin.

Edit: Also, some of your links are to the wrong things: Nazrin's chat with Shou and the music for Yuyuko's chat.

Here is the correct link for the song, which is a damned good remix of the Ten Desires stage 1 theme, which kinda freaked me out when it played since TD had just been released at the time. Although I guess it also played earlier in the game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 2, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nazrin, from what I understand about Touhou canon the other girls are stuck in hell so they've probably got more important things to worry about.

It's Former Hell, so it's mostly just a big hole in the ground. With fire and monsters, but hey, they're monsters themselves.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Letty the Cool Lady is actually surprisingly strong for a stage 1 boss. Too bad you can't use her in games where it's not winter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm surprised no one's commenting on the fact that Marisa is suddenly in a different game. I know it took me off guard the first time I played this. Although I guess it's just expected that FMW will be filled with foreshadowing future plot points, now that Sanae's role has been fulfilled.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I think this is why Letty was so dismissive of Cirno. Fairies are just aspects of nature, so the best they can do is bend it a little, while youkai have no such limits. Fairies are also totally immortal and don't really seem to understand what death is.

But the fact that we have gods of autumn, a youkai of winter, and a fairy of spring is just sort of a coincidence. There could very well be winter fairies and spring gods and autumn youkai, we just never meet them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 21, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nature is pretty stupid, yeah.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like how Satori is basically a supervillain who's more threatening than Remilia, Flandre, Kanako, or Yuyuko.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

And that's not even all of them, there's still Actual Hell.

There's also Heaven.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

This is what it feels like to read a SRW LP without having watched a single Gundam series other than Wing or G, isn't it?

I thought the scene was cool and Subterranean Animism (which I know jack poo poo about) looks very interesting and the antagonists seem pretty menacing by Touhou standards. You three are doing an awesome job with this LP, it is pretty neat to see it transform into a translation patch and get a look inside the .dat files while at it.

Out of curiosity, how much does it make sense?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Decoy Badger posted:

The only thing unauthentic about this chapter is Marisa being scared by a stage 4 boss.

A stage 4 boss that's way higher level than she is right now, and gets auto-Alert every turn. Blitz and I discussed this: Marisa would get totally wrecked by Satori if she tried to fight her right now.

Reimu would win though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gah, I knew that if I went to sleep early, no one would vote for Nazrin.

GimmickMan posted:

Also Nazrin is great. :allears:

Yes she is, so why didn't you vote for her?

Anyway, these chapters clearly demonstrate that the plot of PCB is kind of boring compared to SA and UFO, or at least that the writers feel like they can do more with those.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The plot of UFO hasn't started yet either. We're still just establishing the backstories for both.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 25, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think this might be spoilers isn't it? Because that's not how SA goes down in the regular games.

Honestly, I have no idea what he's talking about either.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can totally understand UFO being more interesting than PCB, though. Because it is really the only game where just about every character involved actually has a big connection to the incident of the game. Only Kogasa is really left out. Basically all of PCB's "story" is done in stages 5-6, which is kind of the way it usually goes in the games. Also going back to UFO, what they're doing with Shou seems pretty strange to me because I don't remember anything that suggests she had a hand in or feels responsible for Byakuren getting captured. It seems a little out of left field.

The writers here are focusing on the implied guilt that Shou had for never trying to help Byakuren. Remember, Shou waited like a thousand years doing nothing, but UFO still didn't happen until Murasa and the others were released. It's no stretch to imagine that she feels bad for playing human/avatar while all her friends get attacked by an angry mob.

Edit: Of course, this is all just a giant lead-in up to her inevitable pre-spellcard speech for "Absolute Justice".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 25, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, the whole theme of UFO is "youkai are actually being oppressed by humanity! the heroes are the bad guys!" so questioning the idea of justice just makes sense to me.

The other details are just embellishment to make the whole thing as dramatic as possible, but I don't really mind. In some ways that's their entire job here: to turn vague Touhou stories into actual dramatic stories with character arcs and stuff. And, Shou is a respectable avatar of Bishamonten, so why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ardeem posted:

The Moriya Shrine gods turned Utsuho into a nuclear hell raven because Sanae mentioned that she missed having electricity after talking to somebody else.

I don't think that true in either canon or this game. In fact, for the purposes of this game that makes no sense at all because of something that's already happened. Although to be fair I only skimmed FMW3 so maybe there's a line to that effect.

Anyway, the biggest problem I have with the plot here is how everyone and their mother can immediately recognize Shou as a tiger youkai when she's supposed to have been passing as a human for a thousand years.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 26, 2015

• Locked thread