Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Glazius posted:

I guess there isn't anything like a poison status in this game, just a damage buff?

The game doesn't really have status ailments at all. It's just not a mechanic. Stuff like Nazrin's damage debuff are pretty rare.

Most of the weird stuff comes from boss danmaku fields, which means it's enemy-only. And if they're too weird, that's just an invitation to bomb through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nazrin, for 17.0

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm no expert, but I thought the bigger problem with the fairies in FMW3 is that the gattai mechanic doesn't play nice with the new partner mechanic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It is so strange that Aya is portrayed as a somewhat responsible person who cares about treaties and her position and stuff. On another note though, the Three Fairies were the best this chapter and justified why we should always vote for them forever.

Aya is totally a responsible person. One of her lines in MoF is "when you're part of an organization, things don't always go your way". And in SA, she's one of the youkai who actually respects the treaty and sends a human down instead (because in that game they care about the letter of the law, which says no youkai can go down there). In her ending, she even conducts her interview with the final boss by proxy. So... she really does take this stuff seriously.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess what i'm saying is I find it weird she cares that Marisa broke the treaty because it wasn't on her so it's not like she's not going to get into trouble from it.

Well, she certainly will if Ran pops in for the very next chapter looking for "Marisa and all the youkai with her."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Phantasmagoria of Flower View" and "Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream". Everyone expected "Flower" because that's the next game in the series chronologically, but we got "Dream" instead.

Which is a weird story about invaders from another dimension. Well, a weirder story about invaders from a weirder dimension. This is the one where Marisa gets a pet nuclear missile, right? I... kind of doubt they're going to play that plot straight. Alternatively, "Dream" means nothing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like how our bad choices are actually preventing him from winning now.

Luna
. 14.5

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Each Touhou game takes place in a particular season, which FMW is sticking to even as they reorder the chronology. The other winter game is Subterranean Animism. Which is kinda funny since it takes place entirely underground, where there's no snow or anything, but Marisa is wearing a scarf and stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

How do you get a game over in this game when you win for running away long enough?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Time out everything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Some of the votes are above the post, since he moved it.

Anyway, we missed Star. What the hell?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sunny can't combine with Lily, they're mortal enemies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sunny. 12.5

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

Yeah, the grand irony of Yuyuko's plot was that she committed suicide in real life, found life as a ghost way better for her, forgot everything that happened, and then nearly committed unsuicide out of a vague sense nostalgia for her own forgotten corpse. It's one of the more tragic backstories among Touhou characters (though it does have a few contenders).

To be fair, a thousand years is a long time. It's hard to remember little details like how you died.

For the record, the game was foreshadowing it with Suika's "it's easier to forget" speech and Yuyuko herself saying that she's never experienced dying before.

On the other hand Yukari's storytime is kind of an inelegant way to dump the plot on you, even if they tried to spice it up.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 16, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And Reimu route finally comes off looking better than Marisa's, although it's too be expected she'd have better interactions with Yukari considering they've got something of a connection. Speaking of Reimu, how the hell did she get the 2nd most kills when we never voted her in. :psyduck:

I don't think that conversation is exclusive to Reimu's route. If you mean "Reimu finally has a reason to exist in the story" though, I can see your point.

Also, is it just me or was Yukari totally flirting with Yuyuko? The whole things comes across to me like they were lovers, not just friends. I swear I'm not a shipper.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 16, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I meant more her dialogue before the fight begins and during the final spell, which was pretty much "yeah, this is a perfect opportunity to chat. I'm going to kick your rear end." and "I honestly don't give a crap about your feelings. I'm just going to beat you at Danmamku.". Reimu shines in situations where she really should be giving more of a poo poo than she does, and to be fair she had a reason to exist for MoF at least.

Well, clearly she gives some semblance of a crap about Yukari's feelings, since she stuck around afterward just to talk to her about them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The game is actually incredibly easy because there's no penalty for losing units and you can always run away and time out boss spellcards. If you're save scumming, that's your own mental block and not the fault of the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are there any other team names for any of the combinations you're not using? Because Marisa seems to have like 4, while most don't seem to have more than 1. I'd just find it interesting to see what characters the game expects you to team up.

There are a whole bunch of them that were added in a major patch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sun Sign: Royal Flare (Sunny + Patchouli) for 4.0, leaving 15.5.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nages posted:

The underground stages should have been night since it's not like any of the s-rank night characters are strengthened by moon or anything, just can deal with being in the dark better.

Pretty sure Luna is strengthened by the moon? Also, there's this general "the moon is the mother of all youkai, that cast the first shadows in the night" thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ryushikaze posted:

I'm still chuckling that of all the dumb things to reference in this game, Sanbondo chose JJBA3 with Hatate's thoughtography.
How many other dumb non SRW jokes are there hidden in there?

Mokou's animation for "Hollow Man Wu" is a reference to the old manga 3x3 Eyes where an immortal zombie guy called a Wu used an identical looking attack. Probably.

Youmu does the "once again, I've cut a boring object" routine from Lupin III in one of her battle dialogs.

Uh... probably others.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah, Momiji's sword is named after the main character's sword in Inuyasha.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No attack videos for Yuyuko and Yukari? They have different movesets than they did in PCB, and even the same moves sometimes have slightly different animations.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway, i've now had time to look at the update and i'm a little disappointed Sanbondo is just going with Yukari having made the eternal night rather than the other IN teams contributing as well. I was looking forward to seeing what ideas they could come up with for how anyone other than Border Team would have the power to stop the night, but I guess they decided to go with the answer that makes the most sense.

Keep in mind that the reason for the stage 4 boss battle in IN is always that the other party doesn't realize why you've stopped the night. They had to pick and choose one side to be solely responsible for it. Although I guess they could have had Yuyuko help Yukari out.

quote:

Also, compared to last game Mima's entrance is a lot less dramatic, I guess that makes sense since technically all the games are supposed to be a part of one big combined whole, but with her appearance last game for only a scene it's a little funny that she shows up without much buildup for when she becomes playable. It's also a little lame that her and Yuuka have such anemic movesets, but I guess that'll eventually change since Mima doesn't even have any spellcards and Yuuka will probably get a boost for pofv. Or maybe it won't get much change since Suika has a similarly small moveset and she's a pseudo-player character as well as a final boss.

I don't think it makes any sense anyway. Her reveal in the previous game was very dramatic and kept open a subplot about her eventual reunion with Marisa (and what she was up to, etc). Bringing her back anticlimactically like this kills that subplot entirely. I think a lot of things in FMW3 were done the way they were not because of any narrative value but because they wanted to make as many characters playable as possible. That's their primary motivation.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 6, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey look, this is gensokyo. You don't need a reason to get in a fight with someone, it just kind of happens by virtue of everyone being jerks. And it's not like they always follow the plot to the letter anyway, and I think it'd have been funnier if 4 different sources did some magic or whatever to make the eternal night but most don't realise they're not the sole cause of it.

Well, yeah, "Reimu is a jerk" is probably the reason for about a third of all battles in this game, but the Reimu vs. Marisa battle is special.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What? No. Focus and Swap are two different commands. It doesn't require a human-youkai pair either. It's a very generic partner system.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Huh. There was a Momiji line I translated that didn't show up. I guess that was bonus dialog?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the one person in this thread who's not already a Touhou fan, the Wriggle Kick is a reference to her appearance in the shooting game, where she suddenly drops down from the top of the screen before the battle begins. If you happen to be near the top at the time, she crashes right into you and you lose a life before the fight even starts. Thus, her most famous attack is the "Wriggle Kick", the bane of all new players. There are some other bosses who do similar things, but she's the most famous for it.

Also, Nue's power is "to hide the true form of things", but what the game doesn't clearly explain is that she doesn't control what the illusions are, people just see what they'd expect to see (because their brain fills in the gaps of "unknown flying object"). So that's why whenever people mention a type of enemy it immediately shows up. The way this ties into the "Japanese chimera" is that it's one of those monsters that's a tiger crossed with a snake crossed with a monkey crossed with whatever. So the idea is that the reason it looks so weird is that no two people are seeing the same thing and the reports are just crazy.

There's also the implication that Sanae (and the player) only sees UFOs because that's how we interpret them in the modern world. Nue doesn't actually know what a UFO or an alien is.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 13, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What even is Reimu's "original" power anyway? She still seems to have the power to float, she is still using her youkai exterminating tools without problem, and her insane instinct don't seem to have dulled considering how quickly she adapted to her new weapons. So unless i'm missing something from the PC-98 games, is this an invention of Sanbondo's? Her upgrade is pretty cool though. I like how a lot of the attacks are all about barriers because it fits in with how her IN fight goes.

I'm sure you can figure it out, if you think about IN real hard.

quote:

Also, i'm glad that even with Ghost Team just being side characters Sanbondo's keeping the best part about that route. Yuyuko somehow knowing everything about what is going on, even though there should have been absolutely no way for her to figure it out. Because seriously, how the hell does Yuyuko know about Reisen's past enough to subtly mock her about it. (At least I assume that's what they're implying with that "repressing your guilt" line)

Well, on the surface Yuyuko's only talking about the excuses Reisen's made in this chapter: that she's not sorry for trying to kill them because she's also fighting to survive, and that any action is excusable in war. In practice though, yeah, she's totally taunting her about her past. Narratively though, you're probably supposed to see Reisen's general attitude towards... everything I guess, as a reflection of her past.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh, do you mean her invoking the power of the Gods thing? I assume you're being a little esoteric and referring to how SSiB in super connected to IN, because from IN itself I don't remember Reimu doing much of anything outside of the usual. Other than being a really fun boss-fight of course.

No, I mean IN. I'm not really sure how I could give you a more specific hint without just spoiling things though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh. Well that explains it.

Weird that Yukari would want to seal that off though, it's not like it's a special ability or anything right? It's just Reimu doing something absurdly powerful because she's Reimu.

Well, "absurdly powerful because it's Reimu" is exactly the problem, isn't it? The whole point was to teach her new barrier tricks and give her new weapons to distract her from developing her basic ability to its utmost. She did say it was her "original" power, so I'm not sure why you expected that to be something entirely new.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, it makes sense that Blazing Star is ultimately more powerful than Final Spark considering it was her last word and all, but Final Spark still looks much cooler.

Final Spark actually has more attack power on the status screen, although Blazing Star can benefit from shotgunning and pull off a bigger final numbers. Ultimately, Final Spark is still considered her "finisher", with the fancy music and all, but Blazing Star is more important to the plot since it represents her unique magic.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 24, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yuyuko did try to eat Nue...

Oh yeah, I don't think Blitz mentioned this and/or I'm completely misremembering, but all of Marisa's moves are considered ranged now. So that's another reason Blazing Star doesn't suck, compared to what it's replacing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...That update took me 45 minutes just to read.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed by it too, as fun as it is to play through. If this kind of excuse was all they ever needed, why don't their teams fight each other in every game? Without a good reason, it's kind of... not special. And no, Yukari claiming she's behind the night when they all know drat well that there's an explanation isn't a good reason, it's obviously being used as a pretext. I think the main issue is that it's really hard to believe that either Marisa or Reimu here would seriously suspect the other of being behind the incident, after everything they've been through in the previous games. You could do something with illusions I guess, but honestly that would defeat the point of having a fight like this.

...I do think it would be possible though, with some significant changes to earlier chapters. First of all, no one on Marisa's side can notice the fake moon, such that when Yukari tries to explain it it's impossible to believe (say, Eirin's sending fake moonbeams down so they can't notice...?). Second, Marisa needs to actually distrust Reimu from before the route split, possibly due to something like her growing more and more inhuman in her actions, which can obviously be tied to Reimu's character arc. Third, despite all that, it would have to come down to their rivalry more than the actual reasons given. There's hints of that already: Marisa can't stand the thought of always losing to Reimu, and I guess Reimu could elaborate more on that "I don't need you" thing. Maybe spin in a bit of "if you couldn't understand that brief explanation, it's not worth trying."

Everyone else should just be along for the ride: it would be kind of tedious for the entire chapter's dialog to be "no! stop fighting!", but I think a serious rivalry between the two of them, after which they come to respect each other more, could've been pretty cool. The huge problem with this is obviously that it would interfere would Marisa's character arc, which was resolved the in previous chapter. Which, well, that's bad. Actually, the more I think about it the more that seems to be the main thing: this is a "victory lap" chapter following the two respective upgrade chapters. Marisa's overcome her emotional issues and Reimu is... Reimu, so you're just supposed to revel in the danmaku festival without any drama. Hmm...

This is tougher than I thought.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That too: having Marisa/Reimu buzzing in your ear like a mosquito for the entire fight is hardly hype building. I don't really have a problem with Yuuka/Yukari being stronger than the main boss, since they're essentially optional objectives and plot-wise supposed to be more of a threat, but the protagonists should at least have two spellcards each.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 13, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I get the impression that most of Yukari's conversation are pretty casual. Unlike the other fights, there's nothing at stake here so she just uses the opportunity to get to know everyone a bit better. Or other people use the opportunity to give their perspective on things.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

Man, looking through those boss convos, I am reminded once again that I love Yukari's dialogue in FMW. I actually can't think of any other fanwork I've read/played that nailed how she seems like she'd act quite as well. All her dialogue is good, but especially some of those boss convos have some great bits in them, like Rumia calling her out on looking down on youkai despite being one herself, and her just being like "...So I am. Sometimes I forget." I love stuff like that.

It's also really fun to write!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sunny, 33.5

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Looking at this chapter from the perspective of a novice, I think it's actually pretty interesting in ways that Blitz's veteran run only hints at. It's the first chapter in FMW3 with more than one spellcard, and they suddenly jump the count to three. Not only that, Mokou shows up in the middle with no warning. Now, if you're a novice like me, you're probably used to just splurging all your Finishers on the boss's last spellcard, and hey look Keine only has one, just like everyone else.

And then Mokou shows up, regenerates 60% of her HP per turn, and you're all out of MP. And she's got another spellcard underneath that! Her regeneration becomes exponentially harder to deal with when you don't have any big attacks, and it's basically a drawn out slugfest that you're likely to time out. Which I think is very interesting and sort of appropriate! Too bad it all falls apart if you're expecting Mokou.

It also serves as a harsh lesson on conserving your MP (or using Koakuma efficiently), which you'll definitely need for the next few chapters. And it's probably not a spoiler to say that Mokou isn't the only immortal who regenerates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think we're all missing what's truly important. Keine drilled a hole through the Earth, and Mokou punches so hard that her fist explodes.

• Locked thread