Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
  • Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011


Red Dawn
(OOC and Recruitment thread)


It was summer when the orcs came. You remember, because it was the eve of King's Day. Every little village and town threw a festival on King's Day - it was the kind of thing you'd spend the whole year thinking about. High society types from Godsbridge, or even the bigger cities to the west and east would spread out to the outlying villages, sampling food and buying all manner of trinkets from craftsmen and traders. Five of you slept with dreams of fried pies and sweet mead when the Orcs came. One of you watched it happen, just on the cusp of self awareness, but not enough to raise a cry for help.



It's fall now. It's been about two, maybe three months, as near as you've been able to gather. Newcomers are trickling in less and less these days, and the news from the front gets worse and worse. You'd had hope of liberation at one point, and then the last band of captives came in, from Valleyhook, more than three hundred miles downriver. That was a month ago. The King's Guard were barely holding ground then, and it doesn't seem likely that the situation has changed.



People in the camp are getting unruly, and everyone's on edge - the guards especially. You've overheard the guards talking about reinforcements coming from downriver, as if there wasn't enough brutality to go around here already. Anna, another prisoner, went half mad last night and burnt two of the bunkhouses and one of the siege shops to the ground with wild magic before the Houndmaster sent Tyrant to tear out her throat. After the carnage, they hung her corpse in the center of the camp for everybody to see - or what was left of it anyway.



Plowforged: The Orcs think you're a lot dumber than you really are. They don't let the other prisoners move around during meals, or any time they don't need to be, but they still think you're a loyal machine. Anger is an emotion you seem to have a lot of, and you've kept it in control so far, but you saw what happened in the yard last night, and it's getting harder to keep it in check. Today, you've been tasked with the job of feeding the mess hall. The heavy pot of half-rancid stew in your hands probably weighs a hundred pounds and is steaming hot when you begin to distribute the nasty, gelatinous mess to the other prisoners.

Nadya: You had... a rough night. You already don't sleep in this place, and the guards all hate you. They hate everybody, of course, but they hate you especially. You never do enough to deserve a beating, (and oddly, the Orcs seem to actually need an excuse) but they know you disseminate information in the camp, and they're itching for an opportunity to prove it. You might already be dead, if you hadn't picked up the Giant's tongue from the Hillfellows who occasionally came down from the Spine to trade. You don't understand everything the Orcs say, but you understand enough to know you're on thin ice. When Anna started burning your bunkhouse to the ground around you in the middle of the night, you barely got out alive. You wish you hadn't watched what happened to her afterwards. You hate that stupid, ugly, vicious dog. After spending the night in the cold, and a morning of backbreaking labor fletching ballista bolts, you're in sour spirits when they march you into the mess hall.

Jericho: You slept through the night. Merciful. When you woke up in the morning it was like you lost your family all over again. Anna worked with you in one of the siege shops, a friendly face with a smile despite the misery around her. She reminded you of your daughter. Your work shift this morning was cancelled, on account of the shop's embers still being too hot to move - it would have been a relief, if you weren't so numb inside. As the morning drags on, the numbness is rapidly beginning to fade, replaced with something dark and primal. Despite not eating for two days, you have no appetite for food - you want revenge.

Llenewar: Everything is coming to a head now. You didn't know the prisoner - she had a different meal time than you, different work detail than you. You'd seen her with the messenger girl who'd come in last month a few times, but otherwise you hardly knew she was there. That's why it makes you so angry. She was some quiet little nobody, the last person anyone would expect to cause any trouble, but she stood up for herself. She didn't run away, she didn't stay quiet, she exploded in anger and rage and she took some of the bastards with her for her effort. You're beginning to feel like you've spent your whole life running away. The noise, the building cacophany that has only gotten worse since you were put in this camp seems to have suddenly lifted - a noise of static has transformed into a perfect note of clarity. You don't have to be weighed down by your anger anymore. You only need to draw it out - like a weapon hiding in it's sheath. When they walk you out to the mess hall, you know this is the last time you are going to be there, one way or another.

Kelda: You were scared to death when the explosion happened outside, and you were scared worse when the Orcs burst in a few hours later. They dragged three girls out of your bunk, and you haven't seen them since. You heard murmuring during your morning laboring, but the Orcs seemed especially keen to keep anyone from talking and after a few people got beatings everyone clammed up. When they told you it was time to eat, you felt momentary relief, until they marched you out in the yard and you saw Anna's corpse hanging from a post like a scarecrow. Immediately, your heart sank. She was a friend. Sorrow was quickly replaced with fear, as you made a sudden realization - the three girls they took out of your bunk last night knew how to use a little magic. Anna did too. Your talents are far from vast, but you keep catching distrustful looks from the guards. You have an immensely bad feeling about this.

Keaira: You don't know how long you were in solitary for, but your wounds are still sore from all the torture, so that tells you this was a short trip. You could smell brimstone in the air when they pulled you out, and for a second you dared to hope liberation had finally come. Instead it was just another prisoner who'd turned out to be more pissed off and angry than you, but without the wit or sense to avoid being killed. When they marched you to mess this morning, you walked past her bloody corpse, and the prized white warg of the Houndmaster. Tyrant's fur wasn't so white anymore. The dog had bitten you before, but you'd been able to keep it away from your throat... The girl on the stake hadn't been so lucky. Seeing the carnage takes the pain out of your joints, the blurriness from your vision. The orcs shove you into the mess hall thinking they've managed to break you this time. Their mistake.



As the five of you take your seats, and plowforged approaches with the day's meal, you have some time to simmer. Though you're aware of each other for the most part, you haven't had opportunities to introduce yourselves to each other before - but it's obvious on all of your faces that you're done with this place. The guards don't seem to care about the hushed whispers in the mess hall today, having made their point in the yard, so maybe you have a chance to talk.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2014 around 04:57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013


You can read it on their faces.
It's obvious to anyone.
Amazing the Monsters haven't noticed.
If not us, then who?

"The question before us, I think," says the girl cherry-red with sunburn, "is not what or when, but how."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008


Llenewar

The noise was still there, but it had mutated from an annoyance to almost another sense. It was as though he had lived his entire life submerged in molasses, and for the first time stepped onto land. The noise was no longer muffled, its true form was now known to him. His thoughts were moving so quickly now it was difficult to keep hold of them. Slow it down. Deep breaths. When he heard the girl's question, the answer came to him immediately: no, don't slow down. Just the opposite.

"All at once," Llenewar said quietly, staring deeply into a knot in the table's surface. If he cared about the approaching Plowforged, he did not show it; he got a different feeling from it today than he had previously, but he had grown used to it being a passive presence. "And everywhere at once. Just like a round of fast talking: they push, you pull hard enough to yank their arm off; they recoil, that's when you follow them in. Advance on so many angles they can't tell what's happening. Get them off balance, never let them get their bearings." He looked up around the table, resisting the urge to lounge with his hands behind his head. "After that, the rest is simple. So..."

The key words were, "everywhere at once". They couldn't do it on their own; so many orcs could easily overwhelm the five of them if they fought back. The trick was for there to be so many targets they didn't know where to start. The orcs were confident, at ease, and most importantly complacent. That they let prisoners talk like this at all was proof they were getting lax; this was the moment. The time was now to do the last thing they expected: "We riot."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003


Plowforged

The large robot approaches the table and sets down it's burden of heavy soup. It begins to put horrid slop into the bowls of the other prisoners as he overhears their conversation take a decided drift. More than the conversation, he feels it here, coming on again. It's not just his anger this time, either. It's all of them - the condensed anger and hatred of the people. He decides to speak in a soft and soothing tone: "hit them now, while they think they're safe. Bash their heads and beat their brains, steal their swords and turn it against them. Hit them with table legs and stab them with dinner knives and plow handles and shovels. Strangle that stupid yappy dog with its own annoying white hair. Avenge the girl, at least she had fire." He continues to dish out soup, hiding his rage as he passively gauges the reaction of the prisoners..

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?



Nadya

Last minute sheet edit: Swapped Racial Bonus At-Will for Racial Encounter Power Heroic Effort.

Against all common sense Nadya is a little easier to pick out of a crowd, even one of miserable prisoners. She usually tries to fight back some of the drab in her too-large rags by sewing something on or adding a wild flower to her hair. Just another thing that makes it easier for the guards to pick on her. Luckily that was the plan.

After a customary bit of extra interrogation just for walking into the mess hall and being cuffed about the head for backtalk she warily walked towards the others, straining with the aches of the morning's labor. Just as she passes the nearest table another woman moves to rise and the two bump into each other, Nadya letting out a strained gasp and a short scuffle almost immediately breaking out! The mousey little girl takes the worst of a few slaps before some others pull the enraged prisoner back and leave Nadya coughing hard into her hands. Pausing to stammer some apologies she throws her hands down and hastily shuffles over to sit and eat. Such a show was probably amusing to the Guards with their hatred of the problem child and should do well to mask her coughing up a small folded bit of wax paper and the passing of it. It's hard for loved ones in separate work details to communicate, after all.

Sitting down with a sigh and a wince as she actually rests her body's weight against the bench Nadya frowns and immediately starts to gripe as she jabs at her meal with the rusted one-prong fork she has jealously guarded since it's liberation three days ago. "A-a-a-ah, how awful! Please, please, I'll trade any amount of this for some bread!" She looks around and forces half a smile before reluctantly "digging in", grimacing like a toddler gulping down vegetables with every bite.

Oh! A riot. Rebellion. "... D-don't you think the line will break s-soon? The King will s-save us in the end..." She shivers. "I-I'll stand with you when it happens... b-but I've never fought before." She stews miserably as she trails her fork through her miserable stew, trying to calm herself down. "I don't wanna die, you know."

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void




Jericho

Jericho had always been quiet, keeping his head down and staying out of trouble. He was older than most of the prisoners, and not enough of a fighter to make open defiance much good. His strength lay in a listening ear and an encouraging word, enough to keep going for one more day. He knew where the small patches of greenery grew, half-buried in the mud, the wilting leaves that made crude poultices for cuts and bruises and bitter medicines for the fever that came with infection.

Today he's just as quiet as always, but the kindness in his eyes is gone, replaced with rage. He and Anna had been close, and he'd doted on her like he once did his daughters. His face sports fresh bruises, and he grimaces with every breath, his reward for trying to take her body down. He ignores the food place in front of him, but the construct's voice makes him look up, eyes widening. Then, he nods.

"Tell them all," he says to it, jerking his head toward the other groups seated around the mess tent. He turns to the half-elf and nods in agreement. "Can't you feel it? They're all ready to fight. Tell them it's for Anna." His voice trembled slightly at these last words, but he chokes down his grief.

His face softens when the young girl speaks up. "We can't wait for them anymore," he points out gently. "You heard the bastards yesterday. There'll be more soldiers here any day now, and they won't be as careless. It has to be now.

"You don't have to fight. The guards are going to have their hands full with the rest of us. You can take the ones that can't fight and run. Hide in the woods." There's no judgement in his voice. "But I'm fighting. By myself if I have to." His voice lowers suddenly, becoming a rough, almost feral snarl that sounds nothing like himself. He even bares his teeth. "And I will skin that mongrel alive."

Izzy fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2014 around 21:40

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.


Kelda Briar

Kelda was barely aware of her surroundings, so racked with fear and sadness after Anna's death. When the dreams started, and the creatures began to whisper, Anna was the only one she felt comfortable even mentioning it to, even if she was still too sick and fearful to tell her the whole truth.

As the others spoke, Kelda, head hung low, stared intently at a space just past the surface of the table in front of her. The beetles were speaking. One had crept up between the cracks in the table, and as she stared at it, following it's trail, it ambled past her bowl and across the back of her hand. Sometimes they spoke to her. Sometimes about her. Sometimes they just spoke. It was madness, certainly. She must have been going mad in this place. Just like Anna had. But somewhere in that madness, Anna had found the strength to lash out. To kill the oppressors. Kelda wanted to scream, but couldn't find her voice.

Suddenly, as though waking from a dream she looked up, and into the eyes of the conspirators around her. A look of panic spread slowly across her face.

"The Sigil! They'll kill me next, you know? Like Anna!" She suddenly felt quite foolish at the outburst. Foolish, and mournful, and alone. "I... you'll all die fighting, won't you? Like she did? I won't let that happen. What can I do?" The tears in her eyes felt like pure ice. The air around her seemed to chill, if only slightly.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011


The air in the mess tent is certainly one of mutiny, but the guards seem... oblivious. Few people are eating, and this is the longest you've been without being fed since you got in the camp. All eyes in the room seem to be following the guards that patrol down the aisles between the tables. By the door you see someone start to raise from his table as a guard passes, but stops suddenly as another group of prisoners are pushed into the room.

Six children; four boys and two girls enter the room and a guard enters the tent behind them, whistling to the guard outside to send the rest of the camp back to their bunks. The sense of imminent violence seems to have died down, for now. The children split up and go to the tables of their parents or family. A little boy breaks off from the pack and begins to approach your table. Clumsily, he bumps into a passing Guard. With a shriek of surprise he tumbles head over heels and slams into the dirt floor. The Orc looks down at him with furious anger. Bellowing, he delivers two hard kicks to the boy's side, and draws his baton. "I'll show ye to watch where yer goin', little pink piggy."

You're close enough to smell this Orc, even over the noxious stew that's steaming away in the heavy iron pot on the table. You'd never seen one of the kids get hit before, but this orc's about to beat one into the dirt with a baton right in front of you. Everyone in the cafeteria is watching this moment.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void


Jericho

First Anna, and now a child no older than Gilly. A child. He can see her in the boy's place in his mind's eye, her once laughing face covered in bruises, crying as an orc sought her out for punishment.

No.

No.

He can barely see through the red haze that covers his vision. He stands before he even realizes he made a decision, his hand reaching for the bowl in front of him.

"Enough."

He's not even sure the voice is his, and he's not sure he cares. The arm, however? The one that throws a bowl full of still scalding-hot, rancid stew at the orc's eyes? That is definitely his.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013


Keaira cocks an eyebrow with a grin at Jericho, half "well done" and half "is that all?"

She then slips off of her stool, grabs her former seat with both hands, lifts it as high as she can, and smashes it over the Monster's head. It's not a well-constructed piece of furniture, splintering into its component pieces as soon as it makes contact, leaving Keaira holding a short length of wood in each hand.

Keaira shouts "This is for Anna!" at the top of her lungs, and alternates between beating and kicking the Monster on the floor.

"This reminds me of the time Crissie Vandele cut my braids off while I was asleep. Although we had better seats that did not splinter so easily."
"If the teachers catch me this time, I am in for a bit more than a birch rod and a month of kitchen duty."
"They're not catching me. This is it, either this guy and me die as examples or we all riot and escape. And I am not hanging around long enough to get caught."

Keaira tosses one makeshift club to Jericho, one more to the robot, and wrests the trunchon out of the Monster's hand.

"Everyone! No more! Today we are leaving!"

Rtwo fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2014 around 17:31

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008


Llenewar

Take a piece of shale, no more than a few inches long. Scrape it against rock or metal until it sharpens to a point. Tie it to a busted spoon handle using bits of cloth and you have yourself a crude but perfectly serviceable knife. One of the other prisoners, a frontiersman, taught Llenewar how to make a shiv out of common materials. He had suggested holding onto it in case life in the camps got too tough and a final escape was needed, but right now Llenewar had a different purpose in mind. Dammit, he was too angry to die alone!

Soup? Stools? No, if they were going to do this it was time to go for the throat. He pulled out his shiv from beneath his rags and jumped on top of the reeling orc, stabbing furiously at the upper chest and neck. As he did so he could feel his rage release. No, that was not quite the correct word... he could feel it radiate. The explosive anger sunk into those around him, infecting them with his purpose. At any other time he would have been puzzled or intrigued by this, but right now he only had one thought: Well all right then. Time to make some noise.

"For Anna!" he screamed as he continued his rampage, attempting to push the other prisoners to action. "For Imallon! You won't keep us here one day more, you hear me?! Not one day more!"

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2014 around 18:43

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013


Heh, heh, he was ready for this before we even got here.
I like this guy.

"You blind him, I stun him, you stab him. We make a great team already."

(Grabbing a truncheon from an orc's limp, bloody hand is a bit easier than the struggle I was anticipating.)

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003


Plowforged

The robot grabs the offered table leg and dumps the remains of the horrible hot soupy mess on the downed orc, then throws the hot pot onto it's head.

He pulls Llenewar up to his feet, admiring the purity of the mans anger but knowing it's not quite time to unleash his own yet. He can hear it now, in the crowd; the thunder is gathering, it's almost time to break.

The eyes of the robot take on a gleam as it looks over the mess hall, choosing the largest orc he can find and screaming out a challenge as he brings his club back up to strike again.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?



Nadya

Brandishing her fork for a moment and trying to keep an eye out for any guards approaching to break up the squabble, Nadya soon feels a bit foolish and pauses to wrench a leg out of her own chair to improve her armaments from pathetic to disappointing. She pockets the fork. They've come this far together after all.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2014 around 20:03

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011


A Riot

The Orc screams in agony when the first bowl of stew is thrown in his face. He doesn't have time to get angry before he is promptly dogpiled by the group at the table. Another Orc begins to raise the alarm, only to be quickly silenced by a shiv to the back of the head! More of the guards fall as other prisoners are rising from their tables, legs are being ripped from stools, sharpened spoons and purloined screwdrivers are being brandished all around you... Just in time for the cavalry to arrive. It's almost as if the Orcs were trying to goad this into happening! In seconds, two dozen orcs have surged into the cafeteria, and half of them are heading straight towards you.

The rest of the prisoners are holding off their own attackers. You're surrounded.


Map note: Tables are difficult terrain. If you are directly adjacent to the table they provide cover vs ranged attacks if LOS is blocked by said table.


Roll initiative and post combat blocks. For initiative in the future, I will be doing the rolling myself and averaging the scores, just for ease of use.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2014 around 00:08

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?



Nadya

Initiative 13

Nadya does a decent job of hiding her terror!

pre:
Nadya 						 
HP: 27/27 (THP: )        AC:   15    Passive Insight: 14
Surges: 8/8 (V: 6)       For:  13    Passive Perception: 19
Initiative: +2   	 Ref:  14    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 18    
Languages: Common, Giant

At Will			Encounter		     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Heroic Effort            [ ] Aspect of Might
Radiant Vengence        [ ] Angelic Alacrity     
                        [ ] Oath of Enmity        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        OR
                        [ ] Divine Guidance

Conditionals/Resists:
Fast Runner: +2 Speed on Charge/Run
Superior Will: Extra Save vs all Daze/Stun at Start of Turn
Censure of Pursuit: Gain +4 Damage UEONT if Oath Target moves away willingly

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void


Jericho

Initiative 1

A trap. The knowledge makes little difference. He was prepared to die already. He catches the splintered piece of wood the sunburned lass tossed his way, and nods in gratitude. But before he can fight, there's one last thing he needs to do.

The boy. He grabs him around the waist, pulling him away from the orcs and tucking him beneath the table near them. "Stay here," he says. "Whatever happens, don't come out until this is over." He turns, planting his feet, a barrier between the child and the monsters.

pre:
Jericho 						 
HP: 27/27 (THP: 0)       AC:   10    Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 9/9 (V: 6)       For:  14    Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  11    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will                      Encounter                    Daily
Call Spirit Companion        [ ] [ ] Healing Spirit       [ ] Stone Root Spirit
World Speaker's Command      [ ] Speak with Spirits    
Haunting Spirits             [ ] Bramble Ally       
Spirit of the Tempest
Voice of Battle

Conditionals/Resists:
World Speaker Spirit Boon: +2 to all defenses to allies provoking an AoO by entering or leaving a square adjacent 
  to his spirit companion.
Resilient Spirit: Spirit Companion gains +2 to all defenses.
Vigorous Spirit: Target regains additional HP equal to WIS mod (+5) when healing spirit is used.

Izzy fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2014 around 19:58

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013


Keaira

Initiative 20.

They were waiting for this. So was I.

pre:
Keaira von Vesnt
Init: +0	Action points: just the one
HP: 28	Surges: 11/7
AC: 10	Fort: 15	Ref: 12	Will: 15
Insight +8; Intimidate +8; Religion +4; Perception: +3; Stealth: +0

Conditionals:
- +1 to saving throws, +3 vs. immobilize, daze, stun, or weaken.

[-] No actual class powers yet, I think :/

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008


Llenewar

He was already reading the situation when Plowforged pulled him back to his feet. That went well enough. It looked like things were about to get worse before they got better, though. Okay, rage spread, chaos created, where are we now? The orcs clearly expected a mutiny, they probably thought if they incited the prisoners themselves and beat them down it would break them for good. Not bad, psychologically speaking, and they were probably right about the devastating effect it would have on morale. But there was one really major flaw in the plan; it assumed they could put the prisoners down with anything less than lethal force. People who were beaten, desperate, and with no other options could not be contained so easily. The orcs still needed them for their labor, so forcing them to either slaughter every man, woman, and child or be overrun gave them nothing but bad choices. If pressed he would not be able to explain how he knew any of this. None of these thoughts came about as a stream of logic or cause and effect, but rather his quick read of the attitudes of the orcs and the prisoners honed by years of living by his ability to innately understand people.

He cried out, "There's no surrender this time! Fight to the last man!" Either they broke through, or they would perish. Both were losing options for the orcs, which meant he won either way. If worst came to worst, it may still be possible to slip out in the chaos...

He took a look at his bloody shiv and a smile grew on his lips. On second thought, going out this way wouldn't be so bad after all.

Initiative: 1d20+0 10

pre:
Llenewar		At-Will				Encounter			Daily
HP: 30/30 (tHP: -)	[-] Demoralizing Strike		[ ] Virtuous Strike		[ ] Battleborn Acuity
Surges: 11/11 (v: 7)	[-] Energizing Strike		[ ] Ardent Outrage			
Speed: 6						[ ] Action Point
Initiative: +0						[ ] Second Wind
Action Point(s): 1					[ ] [ ] Ardent Surge
Power Points: 2						
							
AC: 10		Fort: 15	Ref: 10		Will: 15

Melee Basic (improvised shiv): +4 vs. AC, 1d4 damage OR as Virtuous Strike (1/encounter)
Ranged Basic: N/A

Passive Perception: 10		Passive Insight: 17

Qualities
- Allies within 10 squares gain a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy. (Group Diplomacy)
- I and allies within 5 squares of me gain +4 damage on OAs and +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate. (Elation)
- When I use Second Wind, one ally within my Mantle can use Second Wind as a free action. (Wind of Sympathy)

Conditionals
- When bloodied by an attack, I will use Ardent Outrage as No Action.
	-However, I will not use Ardent Outrage if no other PCs will have a turn before I do.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.


Kelda Briar

Initiative: 5

Kelda sat there like a deaf-mute, as the chaos began to unfold. She couldn't hear, and couldn't speak, and wondered if she had a voice at all. A second stretched across the horizon of eternity as she gazed around her. And then, all in an instant, the Orcs were surrounding them. Screams. Crying. And her, doing nothing. As those around her rose to their feet, she scampered beneath the table. She saw the beetles, crawling their way under loose stones, seeking escape, or simply not caring about the events unfolding around them. She couldn't tell. They'd gone quiet. The stones! She gathered up an armful, quickly. She wasn't sure how hard she could throw, but anything had to be better than nothing. Perhaps she could provide a distraction?

pre:
Kelda 						 
HP: 23/23 (THP: )        AC:   13    Passive Insight: 19
Surges: 9/9 (V: 5)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 14
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  14    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17
Languages: Common, Primordial

At Will			                Encounter		     Daily
Witch Bolt                          [ ] Glorious Presence          [ ] Charm of Forbiddance
Breath of Night                       
Ray of Frost                        

Conditionals/Resists:
Fast Runner: +2 Speed on Charge/Run
Familiar: Gain a +5 saving throw vs poisons
Familiar's Vitality: When you use your second wind and your familiar is within 10 squares 
of you, you regain 3 additional hit points. 
Stubborn Protector: Gain resist 1 against ranged and melee attacks while adjacent to the 
goat familiar.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003


Plowforged

Initiative=17
The robot looks around and unleashes a sound that might be laugh, or it could be a broken voice box crackling with misspent energy. Either way he stares down the Orc hiding behind the table and brandishes his club high.

Finally his voice box sizzles back to life and an awkwardly hollow and emotionless voice comes forth. "a question, master: Do you prefer your brains scrambled in their shell or spread behind you and left for the crows?"

pre:
Plowforged, the Grain Reaper						 
HP: 33/33 (THP: )        AC:   12    Passive Insight: 10
Surges: 12/12 (V: 8)     For:  16    Passive Perception: 10
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  12    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 12
Languages: Common,

At Will			                Encounter		     Daily
Howl of Fury                            [ ] Warforged Resolve         [ ] Bloodhunt Rage
Devastating strike                      [ ] War Cry
Melee Basic                             [ ] Shout of Terror

Conditionals/Resists:
+2 to saves against ongoing damage (Warforged Resilience)
Once per turn when your attack bloodies an enemy, each adjacent enemy takes 9 (Thunderborn Wrath and Rage)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011


Initiative Order

1. Orc Elites
2. Insurgents
3. Orc Guards


Orc_brute moves to (I,9) and attacks Nadya
Orc_Brute vs Nadya AC: 1d20+4 23 1d6+3 7

Orc_brute 1 moves to (I,5) and attacks Kelda
Orc_Brute 1 vs Kelda AC: 1d20+4 5 1d6+3 4

Orc Soldier moves to (D,7) and throws a knife at Plowforged
Orc Soldier vs Plowforged Reflex: 1d20+6 16 1d6+3 9


The Orcs don't give you much time to react before the biggest of the lot both charge towards your table swinging handaxes. Nadya takes a nasty clip in the arm, while Kelda's attacker finds his weapon lodged firmly into the table, instead. The squad's leader moves into cover behind a nearby table and hurls a knife squarely into Plowforged's chestplate, which hits with a noticeable "Thunk".


Insurgent's Turn

The gravity of the situation you are in hits at the same time as the Orcish brutes to the sides of your table - it's clear that there's no turning back anymore. Each of you feels an odd tug, and then, suddenly all at once, the anger and despair you've tried to keep pushed down explodes outward all at once.


Keaira

Humiliation.
Injustice.
I'm not going to take this anymore.
I'm not going to take this anymore.

You may reroll one attack per round for the rest of the encounter. You must use the second result if you do. You have gained access to all of your powers.


Nadya

As the axe cuts through the air and connects with your arm, time seems to slow down to a crawl - and then stop, altogether. You feel detached from your body, like you're looking at the room as if it were a map. The path is clear for you, or perhaps it has been made clear for you? By the time the Orc can start to back off, you've already planned your route. You have combat advantage for the rest of the encounter, and have gained access to all of your powers.


Plowforged

The dagger sticking out of your chest seems to have jostled something loose. An ancient circuit clicks to life, and with it comes a moment of terrible clarity. You comprehend the suffering and torment that you and the people in this camp have been through better than ever before. You no longer have an urge to murder your taskmasters. Urges can be controlled, and there's no way you're leaving this cafeteria without being soaked in their blood. You can use the Bloodhunt Rage power as an encounter power (for this encounter only) and have gained access to all of your powers.


Jericho

As the axe wedges itself into the table, you whirl towards him, feeling only pure, murderous rage. You don't end up having to do anything. A great wooden splinter explodes outward from the table beside you, piercing the Orc's shoulder and sending him shrieking backwards, trying to get away from the unlikely attacker. You feel the wood tremble under your touch as the table roots itself to the ground, and you can feel something coursing through it, a life, a soul. The soul of the forest that the orcs had to tear down to build this accursed camp. All abilities you use for the remainder of the encounter can be targeted as if you were occupying any table square on the map, and you have gained access to all of your powers.


Kelda

Your hand tightens around the stone in your hand as you jump out of the way of the incoming axe, only to find something unfamiliar. A cat's skull, bleached white, etched with a pattern of runes. You only need to glance at it to find yourself lost. You are someplace else for a moment, and then everything rushes back to you at once. Though no time has passed, you feel like you've lost time. The cat's skull thrums with power. Your power. Any time you deal damage for the rest of this encounter, deal an additional 2d6 fire damage to the target(s), and have gained access to all of your powers.


Llenewar

The noise seems to come into tune even more, and now you feel it, or more, you feel everyone else. When the Orc's axe cut into Nadya's flesh, or when the Plowforged took the dagger to the chest, you felt a momentary pang of shock and pain. You can feel the anger radiating from Plowforged and Jericho. You can feel Nadya's determination. And an... odd, mute moment from Kelda, and then just the sense of power. You can feel your foes moving around on the edges of the table without seeing them. You know this moment of clarity can't, won't last forever, but you're going to make use of it while you can. For the rest of the encounter, Ardent Surge's range is doubled, and it gains the effect: "Interrupt - you may use this power as an immediate interrupt when a nearby ally takes combat damage", and you have gained access to all of your powers.


Kill some orcs.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013


Keaira

Keaira grips the truncheon and smiles. It's the sort of smile you might see moving very fast toward a drowning sailor, the sort of smile with a fin on top. She scrambles somewhat clumsily onto the table, gets her feet underneath her, and snarls "You, first." at the orc who had the gall to wound Nadya. There's a force behind the words Keaira's never had before, the pull of a divine compulsion.

"So... that is new."

Keaira grips her club in both hands, raises it above her head, and brings it down in a clumsy, awkward miss. Any contact is thanks only to the extra bit of divine guidance in her Holy Strike. (If a 15 hits, that's 8 damage.

"Something is happening here."

Move: to I8
Minor: Divine Challenge to Mark the orc at I9. If he attacks anyone other than Keaira, he's at -2 to hit and takes 6 radiant damage.
Standard: Holy Strike: Swing and a miss, use of granted reroll power, take the second result for 15. If that connects, 8 damage to the orc at I9.


pre:
Keaira von Vesnt
Init: +0	Action points: just the one
HP: 28	Surges: 11/7
AC: 10	Fort: 15	Ref: 12	Will: 15
Insight +8; Intimidate +8; Religion +4; Perception: +3; Stealth: +0

Conditionals:
- +1 to saving throws, +3 vs. immobilize, daze, stun, or weaken.

[-] Divine Challenge: minor to mark. -2 to hit and 6 radiant for attacking not me
[ ] Second Wind
[ ] Divine Mettle or Divine Strength (one Channel Divinity/encounter)
[ ] Guardian Light
[3] Lay on Hands
[ ] Glorious Charge

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Kelda Briar

Kelda stared deep into the eyes of the skull. They had a secret. She had a secret now. As she read the runes etched across it's surface, time stood still, and she drew in a deep, slow, breath.

And then movement again. The big Orc ripped it's axe from the surface of the table, as she locked eyes with it fearfully and exhaled that deep breath, slowly. And as she did it swirled around her, at once colder than winter, and hotter than the summer sun, and at it's peak, it rushed outward at the perplexed Orc.

Int vs Fort Breath of Night: 1d20+3 6
Well that could have gone better/been cooler. I wanted to fling him across the room!

pre:
Kelda 						 
HP: 23/23 (THP: )        AC:   13    Passive Insight: 19
Surges: 9/9 (V: 5)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 14
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  14    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17
Languages: Common, Primordial

At Will			                Encounter		     Daily
Witch Bolt                          [ ] Glorious Presence          [ ] Charm of Forbiddance
Breath of Night                       
Ray of Frost                        

Conditionals/Resists:
Fast Runner: +2 Speed on Charge/Run
Familiar: Gain a +5 saving throw vs poisons
Familiar's Vitality: When you use your second wind and your familiar is within 10 squares 
of you, you regain 3 additional hit points. 
Stubborn Protector: Gain resist 1 against ranged and melee attacks while adjacent to the 
goat familiar.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2014 around 05:26

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008


Llenewar

The thought had occurred to him that he had not been acting quite like himself. Someone like him, who had never faced battle or death, should not be able to talk so freely of murder. He should not have such visceral anger and bloodlust. As he felt himself attune to those around him, he suddenly understood; his anger was being fed by theirs, and in turn his radiated outward, and the cycle repeats. As long as he stayed on the move he could not be overwhelmed, but sticking him in this camp was basically the worst thing the orcs could have done. Llenewar did not have the time to learn to naturally use his new abilities, and even if he did he would not know where to begin. Was it a muscle you flexed, or a poem you recited, or what? Better to dive in headfirst and see what happened. Learn by doing, that was more his style! "Focus your efforts!" he called out, slicing at any of the orc's limbs he could reach. He was really just stalling for time; even while hopped up on rampaging emotions he did not feel confident he could fight one of these things by himself, but maybe if they combined their strength...

Battleborn Acuity vs AC: 1d20+7 12 2d4+3 5
If that's a miss, which seems likely, that deals half damage. Until end of my next turn (and every turn thereafter as long as I spend a minor to sustain it), all allies gain +1 to attack rolls and +4 to damage rolls while adjacent to me.

pre:
Llenewar		At-Will				Encounter			Daily
HP: 30/30 (tHP: -)	[-] Demoralizing Strike		[ ] Virtuous Strike		[X] Battleborn Acuity
Surges: 11/11 (v: 7)	[-] Energizing Strike		[ ] Ardent Outrage			
Speed: 6						[ ] Action Point
Initiative: +0						[ ] Second Wind
Action Point(s): 1					[ ] [ ] Ardent Surge
Power Points: 2						
							
AC: 10		Fort: 15	Ref: 10		Will: 15

Melee Basic (improvised shiv): +4 vs. AC, 1d4 damage OR as Virtuous Strike (1/encounter)
Ranged Basic: N/A

Passive Perception: 10		Passive Insight: 17

Qualities
- Allies within 10 squares gain a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy. (Group Diplomacy)
- I and allies within 5 squares of me gain +4 damage on OAs and +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate. (Elation)
- When I use Second Wind, one ally within my Mantle can use Second Wind as a free action. (Wind of Sympathy)

Conditionals
- When bloodied by an attack, I will use Ardent Outrage as No Action.
	-However, I will not use Ardent Outrage if no other PCs will have a turn before I do.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011


Doom pointed out that I forgot to list monster defenses, since it makes PBP combat a lot faster. So, here you go:

Orc Prison Guard - AC 13 - F15, R13, W13 ------ Minion
Orc Brute - AC 13 - F14, R13, W13 ------ HP 36
Orc Soldier - AC 17 - F14, R13, W13 ------ HP 32

I will update the HP totals after your turn in combat resolves.

Also, if you're on a table attacking someone in melee next to the table you get combat advantage due to the height advantage. I'll say this applies to Jericho's bonus but, again, only on targets adjacent to the table.


Mirthless fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2014 around 19:05

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?



Nadya

Being beaten was one thing but having an axe slam into her arm, find flesh and keep going until it clipped bone was terrifying. She screamed in pain and fell back against the table, crashing into it with her back and almost falling over as she tries to come to terms with being seriously injured!

She looks up and blinks back the twitching and tears in her eyes as she looks at the large Brute that struck her being pulled away from finishing her by Keaira... she feels a bit of an epiphany. And a flood of adrenaline but all the same something seems to be giving her a bit of a divine touch... she knows what to do and springs up, passing the club to her other hand as that arm has been promoted to "her good arm" due to overwhelming axe related circumstances.

She whirls around and glares at squad leader behind the table and feels a strong compulsion to give him what-for... but stops and feels a brief bit of camaraderie with Keaira and settles for glaring at the Brute next to her, letting her ire build up to... an oath! Well, a little swear to bonk his head repeatedly before she's cut down or thrown in chains, at lease. With that tiny bit of resolve she springs around her assailant, Shifting in a blue blur to J9-H10-H9 in the blink of an eye, a small blue line painting the perfect trail from where she was to where she is going! As she arrives at the end of the line she draws up her club and misses giving him one in the chin... but that's OK. Every journey involves a return and she brings the club down to scramble his brains for 7 Damage!

Oath of Enmity Brute I9
Angelic Alacrity Shift 3 to H9
Hit Brute I9 for 7 Damage



pre:
Nadya 						 
HP: 20/27 (THP: )        AC:   15    Passive Insight: 14
Surges: 8/8 (V: 6)       For:  13    Passive Perception: 19
Initiative: +2   	 Ref:  14    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 18    
Languages: Common, Giant

At Will			Encounter		     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Heroic Effort            [ ] Aspect of Might
Radiant Vengence        [X] Angelic Alacrity     
                        [ ] Oath of Enmity        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        OR
                        [ ] Divine Guidance

Conditionals/Resists:
Fast Runner: +2 Speed on Charge/Run
Superior Will: Extra Save vs all Daze/Stun at Start of Turn
Censure of Pursuit: Gain +4 Damage UEONT if Oath Target moves away willingly

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003


Plowforged

Plowforged smiles as he pulls the knife from his chest, dropping the table leg and switching to the non-improvised weapon. He smiles and manaegs to nod at the Orc Solider, "thanks for the weapon! I was worried I'd have to kill you all with pieces of broken table!" he shouts as he presses forward and stabs at one of the approaching guards, then he screams with all the pent up anger and rage of camp, so loud that he causes the Soldiers ears to bleed and splinters the wood of the table between the two of them.



move to G6 - attack the orc guard 4. If I hit there's a blast 3 that must include the target and deals my con damage to all enemies except the target in the blast - so I'll put the guard at the lower left corner, placing the soldier in the upper right and dealing con damage to him. Still using the stats of a club, it would be 1d4 damage and +2 more to hit if it's an actual dagger and not just another improvised weapon

Howl of Fury attack=16
HoF Damage=7
and if it hits, 4 more to the Soldier
pre:
Plowforged, the Grain Reaper						 
HP: 24/33 (THP: )        AC:   12    Passive Insight: 10
Surges: 12/12 (V: 8)     For:  16    Passive Perception: 10
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  12    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 12
Languages: Common,

At Will			                Encounter		     Daily
Howl of Fury                            [ ] Warforged Resolve         [ ] Bloodhunt Rage
Devastating strike                      [ ] War Cry
Melee Basic                             [ ] Shout of Terror

Conditionals/Resists:
+2 to saves against ongoing damage (Warforged Resilience)
Once per turn when your attack bloodies an enemy, each adjacent enemy takes 9 (Thunderborn Wrath and Rage)

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2014 around 19:44

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void


Jericho

The forest stirs all around them. What the orcs thought was dead, murdered with axe and fire and warped by hammers and nails, remembers itself. The tables buck like panicked horses, their legs burrowing through the floor and becoming new roots, growing bark and branches and stretching toward the roof. He can feel the spirit of the table closest to him, once an ancient oak, felled after a thousand years of guarding this place. It is no longer content to drink from the earth and stretch its branches to the sky; the destruction of its wood must be answered for. So it rises, faster than the others, gathering earth and bones from below, and lightning and fire from above.

Jericho throws back his head and cries out as the spirit's power pours into him. His awareness expands, and he can sense the life that the Hand couldn't extinguish. Seeds waiting for spring, hardy grasses that remain despite the hundreds of feet that trampled them. The roots that still live in the soil. He calls to them all, and all around them the ground erupts with green.

Except beneath Nadya. Around her feet, dozens of flowers bloom in an explosion of color and light. Their perfume embraces her, soothes her, and the pain from her wound begins to vanish. Around the others, the floor becomes a sea of brush and grasses, all moving of their own accord. They surround his fellow prisoners, sheltering them and hiding them from their enemies. Other plants turn on the orcs, wrapping them in sturdy vines and tossing them away like toys. The two closest land sprawling at Kelda and Nadya's feet, while another guard is thrown onto one of the tables. Two more, including the largest of them, staggers and are pushed back, but they manage to remain on their feet.

Minor: Call Spirit Companion to I8
Move: Healing Spirit: Spending a healing surge to heal Nadya for 11.
Standard: Stone Root Spirit, area burst 5 Centered on G7. Starting with the Orc Soldier at D7 and going clockwise, vs. Reflex: 10,6,19,21,14.

Orc Soldier: Miss, Slide to C7
Orc Guard 6: Miss, Slide to F10
Orc Brute: Hit, Slide to K9, knocked prone.
Orc Brute 1: Hit, Slide to K5, knocked prone.
Orc Guard 4: Hit, Slide to F3, knocked prone.

No damage.

AoE is now difficult terrain for the orcs, and considered cover (-2 to orcs' attack rolls) for the prisoners.


pre:
Jericho 						 
HP: 27/27 (THP: 0)       AC:   10    Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 8/9 (V: 6)       For:  14    Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  11    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will                      Encounter                    Daily
Call Spirit Companion        [X] [ ] Healing Spirit       [X] Stone Root Spirit
World Speaker's Command      [ ] Speak with Spirits    
Haunting Spirits             [ ] Bramble Ally       
Spirit of the Tempest
Voice of Battle

Spirit Companion

AC: 12
For: 16
Ref: 13
Will: 19

If a single melee or ranged attack does 11 or more damage to the spirit, it disappears and Jericho takes 6 
damage. Otherwise, the spirit is unaffected by the attack.

Conditionals/Resists:
World Speaker Spirit Boon: +2 to all defenses to allies provoking an AoO by entering or leaving a square adjacent 
  to his spirit companion.
Resilient Spirit: Spirit Companion gains +2 to all defenses.
Vigorous Spirit: Target regains additional HP equal to WIS mod (+5) when healing spirit is used.

Izzy fucked around with this message at Jun 29, 2014 around 09:27

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011


Keaira moves to (I,8) and Marks the Orc Brute at (I,9)
Keaira attacks the Orc Brute at (I,9), dealing 8 damage

Kelda attacks the Orc Brute at (I,5), missing.

Llenewar attacks the Orc Brute at (I,5), missing, but still dealing 3 damage
All allies adjacent to Llenewar get +1 attack and +4 damage as long as he sustains

Nadya places her Oath on the Orc at (I,9)
Nadya shifts to (H,9) and attacks the Orc Brute at (I,9), hitting for 7 damage

Plowforged moves to G6 and attacks Orc Guard 4, decapitating the guard and sending his head flying into the Orc Soldier as a projectile for 4 damage.

Jericho summons his spirit into (I,8), however, the space is occupied, so it is shunted into (I,7)
Jericho creates a large AOE zone of effect - this is difficult terrain for foes and grants cover to allies.
Jericho forces a bunch of movement, and prones both Orc Brutes. Orc Guard 4 is not proned as he is quite dead.

Orc Brute at K,5 is down 5 HP. Orc Brute at J,9 is down 15 HP. Soldier at E,5 is down 4 HP.



The guard force seems unprepared to deal with prisoners who fight back, but the shock of seeing Plowforged decapitate one of their bretheren with a boot knife is enough to bring the situation into perspective for them.

The rank and file move in first, followed by a new round of assault from the more elite troops. They quickly take positions and encircle you. A flurry of blows are aimed at Kelda from all sides, but they seem to be pushed aside by some unseen force. Another guard moves in on Llenewar, swinging his baton and delivering a blow right into his ribs. One guard moves in to attack Nadya from the front, and upon delivering a solid hit, sets her up to be attacked by another guard from behind. The brute Keaira had marked pulls himself up and charges her, delivering a solid blow as more guards add to the abuse.

The leader of the guards taps the sigil on his forehead, a brief pulse of light shining before he draws his longsword and charges at Plowforged. He brings the sword down hard on the mechanical man with incredible force.

As if responding to some cue, four Wargs push themselves through the crowd of rioters and charge towards the group, stopping just on the edge of the brush.

Orc_Guard Charge Kelda vs AC; 4 damage if hit: 1d20+6 8 Miss! (ending in J,5)
Orc_Guard 1 attacks Kelda; 4 damage if hit: 1d20+5 9 Miss! (ending in K,6)
Orc_Brute 1 attacks Kelda AC: 1d20+4 8 1d6+3 7 Miss! (ending in K,5 after standing to prone)
Kelda takes 0 damage

Orc_Guard 5 attacks Llenewar; 4 damage if hit: 1d20+5 24 Hit! (ending in H,5)
Llenewar takes 4 damage

Orc_Guard 6 attacks Nadya; 4 damage if hit: 1d20+5 23 Hit! (ending in G,8)
Orc_Guard 7 attacks Nadya (Flanking) ; 4 damage if hit: 1d20+7 18 Hit! (ending in I,10)
Nadya takes 8 damage

Orc_Brute charges Keaira: 1d20+5 19 1d6+3 9 Hit! (ending in J,9 after standing to prone and charging)
Orc_Guard 2 attacks Keaira; 4 damage if hit: 1d20+5 6 Miss! (ending in J,8)
Orc_Guard 3 attacks Keaira; 4 damage if hit: 1d20+5 14 Hit! (ending in I,9)
Keaira takes 13 damage

Orc Soldier charging Plowforged: 1d20+9 23 1d10+3 12 Hit! (ending in E,5 after charging)
Plowforged takes 12 damage.

Reinforcements arrive:

Young Warg at B,1
Young Warg 2 at A,2

Young Warg 3 at M,12
Young Warg 4 at L,13


Round 2, everybody go!


(Jericho- does that ground AOE have a duration, or is until end of encounter?)

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void


Jericho

"The earth knows its own, friends!" Jericho calls out to the rioters around them, raising the table leg in his hand as it begins to grow and sprout leaves. "Show the spirits we haven't forgotten them! Show the dead we haven't forgotten them!" He can sense their rage, and he opens himself to it, catching and directing it into the mind of the orc in front of him. The orc, however, seems unaffected.

Voice of Battle on Orc Guard 6: 1d20+5 8 Miss.

pre:
Jericho 						 
HP: 27/27 (THP: 0)       AC:   10    Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 8/9 (V: 6)       For:  14    Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +0   	 Ref:  11    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17    
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will                      Encounter                    Daily
Call Spirit Companion        [X] [ ] Healing Spirit       [X] Stone Root Spirit
World Speaker's Command      [ ] Speak with Spirits    
Haunting Spirits             [ ] Bramble Ally       
Spirit of the Tempest
Voice of Battle

Spirit Companion

AC: 12
For: 16
Ref: 13
Will: 19

If a single melee or ranged attack does 11 or more damage to the spirit, it disappears and Jericho takes 6 
damage. Otherwise, the spirit is unaffected by the attack.

Conditionals/Resists:
World Speaker Spirit Boon: +2 to all defenses to allies provoking an AoO by entering or leaving a square adjacent 
  to his spirit companion.
Resilient Spirit: Spirit Companion gains +2 to all defenses.
Vigorous Spirit: Target regains additional HP equal to WIS mod (+5) when healing spirit is used.

Mirthless posted:

(Jericho- does that ground AOE have a duration, or is until end of encounter?)
Whoops, sorry! It lasts until the end of the encounter.

Izzy fucked around with this message at Jun 30, 2014 around 13:34

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008


Llenewar

Even through a haze of jacked-up emotions, the Plowforged's display of violence was enough to stun him. "Holy shi-" His decision that the robot was definitely a keeper neatly contrasted with the orcs, who apparently decided it needed to be scrapped immediately. He sent out a wave of soothing calm, papering over whatever pain might have been caused by that glowing sword strike. That would do for now...

Immediate Interrupt: Ardent Surge to Plowforged, he spends a healing surge and recovers 12 hit points. He also gains +1 to attack rolls until end of my next turn. Yes, this stacks with the bonus from Battleborn Acuity if he wants to get adjacent to me.

He goes before me in actual initiative, so he gets to use this bonus on his turn.


pre:
Llenewar		At-Will				Encounter			Daily
HP: 26/30 (tHP: -)	[-] Demoralizing Strike		[ ] Virtuous Strike		[X] Battleborn Acuity
Surges: 11/11 (v: 7)	[-] Energizing Strike		[ ] Ardent Outrage			
Speed: 6						[ ] Action Point
Initiative: +0						[ ] Second Wind
Action Point(s): 1					[X] [ ] Ardent Surge
Power Points: 2						
							
AC: 10		Fort: 15	Ref: 10		Will: 15

Melee Basic (improvised shiv): +4 vs. AC, 1d4 damage OR as Virtuous Strike (1/encounter)
Ranged Basic: N/A

Passive Perception: 10		Passive Insight: 17

Qualities
- Allies within 10 squares gain a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy. (Group Diplomacy)
- I and allies within 5 squares of me gain +4 damage on OAs and +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate. (Elation)
- When I use Second Wind, one ally within my Mantle can use Second Wind as a free action. (Wind of Sympathy)

Conditionals
- When bloodied by an attack, I will use Ardent Outrage as No Action.
	-However, I will not use Ardent Outrage if no other PCs will have a turn before I do.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013


Keaira

"Those old birch rods don't seem so bad, eh?"
"Pelor preserve us all."

And with that thought, some of the wounds the Monsters inflicted throb a little less, and the flow of blood is staunched a little.

"...did I do that?"

Keaira never thought of herself as being particularly religious -- her theological studies were ignored same as all the other subjects -- but if praying helps, then now's the time for it. She mumbles an awkward plea to Pelor as she raises the club again, and once more it's only through the spark of the divine that her clumsy swing finds its mark.

(I forgot the CA bonus on both rolls, but the first was low enough and the second high enough that it doesn't matter this time.)

The Brute that she's marked, currently at J9, takes 6 damage, and is at -2 to all attacks until Keaira's next turn. (The attack maintains Divine Challenge, so if he takes a swing at anyone else he's at a total of -4.)


Minor: Lay on Hands, self
Standard: Enfeebling Strike, rerolled for a hit

pre:
Keaira von Vesnt
Init: +0	Action points: just the one
HP: 22/28	Surges: 10/11:7
AC: 10	Fort: 15	Ref: 12	Will: 15
Insight +8; Intimidate +8; Religion +4; Perception: +3; Stealth: +0

Conditionals:
- +1 to saving throws, +3 vs. immobilize, daze, stun, or weaken.

[-] Divine Challenge: minor to mark. -2 to hit and 6 radiant for attacking not me
[ ] Second Wind
[ ] Divine Mettle or Divine Strength (one Channel Divinity/encounter)
[ ] Guardian Light
[2] Lay on Hands
[ ] Glorious Charge

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?



Nadya

Feeling vexed that he target is now behind two more Orcs, Nadya does the mature and sensible thing and screams bloody murder as she flails blindly at the Guard to the South of her, delivering a swift clobbering to him that switches their places in a Shift for 7 Damage.

Overwhelming Strike on the Guard South of me.
Swap places in a Shift.


pre:
Nadya 						 
HP: 19/27 (THP: )        AC:   15    Passive Insight: 14
Surges: 7/8 (V: 6)       For:  13    Passive Perception: 19
Initiative: +2   	 Ref:  14    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 18    
Languages: Common, Giant

At Will			Encounter		     Daily
Overwhelming Strike     [ ] Heroic Effort            [ ] Aspect of Might
Radiant Vengence        [X] Angelic Alacrity     
                        [X] Oath of Enmity        
                        [ ] Abjure Undead
                        OR
                        [ ] Divine Guidance

Conditionals/Resists:
Fast Runner: +2 Speed on Charge/Run
Superior Will: Extra Save vs all Daze/Stun at Start of Turn
Censure of Pursuit: Gain +4 Damage UEONT if Oath Target moves away willingly

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003


Plowforged

Plowforged leers at the soldier and shouts "glad you could make it to your funeral!" as his eyes start to send off sparks of electricity and the cogs in the back of his head start to turn faster and faster. Suddenly the sound of an angry thunderstorm comes from the metal man as he plunges his dagger downward, the look of murder in his eyes and the fury of the camps occupants play out from within him.

attack the orc soldier with Bloodhunt Rage, 16 to hit
Damage 3d6+4=7, half on a miss
Effect: +4 damage when either I or my target are bloodied. I also spend the surge (Thanks Llenewar) and took the HP recovery into effect, and am now raging.



pre:
Plowforged, the Grain Reaper						 
HP: 24/33 (THP: )        AC:   12    Passive Insight: 10
Surges: 11/12 (V: 8)     For:  16    Passive Perception: 10
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  12    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 12
Languages: Common,

At Will			                Encounter		     Daily
Howl of Fury                            [ ] Warforged Resolve         [x] Bloodhunt Rage
Devastating strike                      [ ] War Cry
Melee Basic                             [ ] Shout of Terror

Conditionals/Resists:
+2 to saves against ongoing damage (Warforged Resilience)
Once per turn when your attack bloodies an enemy, each adjacent enemy takes 9 (Thunderborn Wrath and Rage)

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008


Llenewar

The orc against him overextended; Llenewar stepping into the swing and pushed his shiv into the orc's neck. He sent his rush of triumph over to Kelda, hoping it would give her the boost she needed. It felt a bit strange to treat his own emotions as tradeable commodities, but he would leave the existential crisis for when there wasn't an actual crisis staring him in the face. Perhaps he should have gone to assist Kelda if he was so concerned about her welfare, being one tiny woman against three orcs. But he had seen a bit of her strange powers, and decided he didn't want to be in the blast radius when she counter-attacked.

Standard: Energizing Strike to the Orc Guard at H5.
Energizing Strike vs AC: 1d20+7 24 1d4+3 7
Hit, it is dead and Kelda gets 4 temp HP.
Minor: Sustain Battleborn Acuity.
Move: to G7, Plowforged and Jericho now get the bonuses from Battleborn Acuity.

TheAnomaly, your attack was a hit. Going over the math, it looks like you didn't take the +2 proficiency bonus of your club into account (it should have the same stats as the club in the OP of the recruitment); that makes your attack roll an 18.


pre:
Llenewar		At-Will				Encounter			Daily
HP: 26/30 (tHP: -)	[-] Demoralizing Strike		[ ] Virtuous Strike		[X] Battleborn Acuity
Surges: 11/11 (v: 7)	[-] Energizing Strike		[ ] Ardent Outrage			
Speed: 6						[ ] Action Point
Initiative: +0						[ ] Second Wind
Action Point(s): 1					[X] [ ] Ardent Surge
Power Points: 2						
							
AC: 10		Fort: 15	Ref: 10		Will: 15

Melee Basic (improvised shiv): +4 vs. AC, 1d4 damage OR as Virtuous Strike (1/encounter)
Ranged Basic: N/A

Passive Perception: 10		Passive Insight: 17

Qualities
- Allies within 10 squares gain a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy. (Group Diplomacy)
- I and allies within 5 squares of me gain +4 damage on OAs and +2 to Diplomacy and Intimidate. (Elation)
- When I use Second Wind, one ally within my Mantle can use Second Wind as a free action. (Wind of Sympathy)

Conditionals
- When bloodied by an attack, I will use Ardent Outrage as No Action.
	-However, I will not use Ardent Outrage if no other PCs will have a turn before I do.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Kelda Briar

"Stay back!" She cried, as the Orcs swarmed in around her. She raised an arm, in a vain effort to deflect the series of blows headed her way, and to her surprise it seemed to work! The weapons of the enemies passed harmlessly to her sides, as though pushed away by the current of air still lingering around her. "I said STAY BACK!"

Breath of Night vs Guard 0: 14 = Miss.
BoN vs Guard 1: 23 = Critical Hit!
BoN vs Brute 1: 20 = Hit, and pushed to square N,2.
BoN vs Forest Spirit: 16 = Hit (sorry!) and pushed to square E,11, unless it can't get pushed through other characters. Nope!
All those hit take 8 Cold, and 3 Fire damage.


Such power! Such force! Like her voice commanded the wind to rise again, and ram the largest of the Orcs, flinging it backward, end over end! How was this even possible? Would it buy her time to get out of harm's way? Did she even need to?

Moving to K,6

pre:
Kelda 						 
HP: 23/23 (THP: )        AC:   13    Passive Insight: 19
Surges: 9/9 (V: 5)       For:  12    Passive Perception: 14
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  14    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 17
Languages: Common, Primordial

At Will			                Encounter		     Daily
Witch Bolt                          [ ] Glorious Presence          [ ] Charm of Forbiddance
Breath of Night                       
Ray of Frost                        

Conditionals/Resists:
Fast Runner: +2 Speed on Charge/Run
Familiar: Gain a +5 saving throw vs poisons
Familiar's Vitality: When you use your second wind and your familiar is within 10 squares 
of you, you regain 3 additional hit points. 
Stubborn Protector: Gain resist 1 against ranged and melee attacks while adjacent to the 
goat familiar.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at Jul 1, 2014 around 15:49

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the Void


Edit: Nothing to see here.

Izzy fucked around with this message at Jul 1, 2014 around 09:48

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011


Llenewar activates a surge to heal Plowforged for 12 HP and give him a power bonus to attacks.

Jericho attacks and misses Orc_Guard 6 (G,8)

Keaira heals herself with lay on hands and Enfeebles the Orc Brute (J,9) for 6 damage

Nadya kills the guard south of her (I,9) and dumps his corpse in the space she was occupying. Cold!

Plowforged hits the Orc Soldier at E,5, but it doesn't really connect, doing a paltry 7 damage, the lowest possible damage roll.

Llenewar kills the Orc Guard at H,5 and then moves to G,7

Kelda kills Orc Guard 1, and hits Brute 1 for 11 damage, pushing it to N,2



After killing half of your rank and file guards and Jericho effectively bogging down the rest with the overgrowth in the room. Disorganized and panicking, the Orcs struggle to counterattack.


The Orc Brute that Keaira has been keeping pinned down is badly wounded and terribly enraged. Despite a sudden burst of unexpected, bloodthirsty frenzy, he swings and misses with an axe strike towards Keaira that probably would have hurt, if it had landed. As she dodges the clumsy strike, she catches a truncheon in the side from one of the guards.

Orc_Brute attacks Keaira AC: 1d20+2 7 1d6+7 13
Orc_Guard 2 attacks Keaira AC: 1d20+3 15
Keaira takes 4 damage.


Nadya receives similar treatment from Orc_Guard 7, taking a club right in the gut.

Orc_Guard 7 attacks Nadya AC: 1d20+3 21
Nadya takes 4 damage.


The Orc Brute that Kelda knocked back rears back and charges straight through the undergrowth, but gets tripped up on a root and misses by a mile. The Orc Guard at J,5 takes a swing at Kelda and narrowly misses.

Orc guard attacks Kelda AC: 1d20+3 11
Orc_Brute 1 charges Kelda AC: 1d20+3 7
Kelda isn't hit


Orc Guard 6 swings and misses at Llenewar

Orc_guard 6 vs Llenewar: 1d20+3 8
Llenewar isn't hit


Plowforged's duel with the Orc Soldier has a sudden turn for the worse. Taking advantage of an opening, the Orc Soldier sidesteps Plowforged and slams his Longsword into the mechanical man's metal ankle, causing a piston or a cog somewhere to jam. Before he can react to his leg suddenly locking up, the Orc sweeps his legs out from under him, sending him sprawling on the ground. The Orc lets out a sharp whistle and the Wargs coming in from the northwest dash into the underbrush towards them. "You'd better hope my dogs don't like the taste of metal, tin man," he grins, "But they eat like goats."

Orc Soldier vs Plowforged Reflex: 1d20+4 20 3d6+3 10
Secondary Attack vs Plowforged Reflex: 1d20+4 12

Plowforged takes 10 damage, is slowed, and knocked prone.

Young Wargs move to C4, C5, K8, K10



Orc_Brute is Bloodied, and Enraged.
Orc_Brute 1 is at 20 HP
Orc Captain is at 21 HP

Young Warg defenses are AC 15 - F12, R14, W13, they are minions.

And it is now the players' turn.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at Jul 2, 2014 around 02:44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013


Keaira

"Ha ha! Well done, girl!" Keaira reaches down to give the little one an encouraging pat on the head, accidentally grounding another surge of power into her. "I... that did not hurt, I hope!"

It didn't. It was in fact a Lay on Hands, allowing Nadya to regain HP equal to her own surge value.

"I would very much like to know how any of what is happening works."
"Not that I'm complaining."
"Of course not. I have managed to hold the big Monster's attention so far, but I wonder precisely how."
"One less sword swung at the other innocents, either way. I have taken beatings before, the skinny girl, maybe not so many."
"Beatings, yes, swords not so much..."

Nonetheless, Keaira steels herself for another swing. It's about as graceful as the last one, rattling the Brute with a blow to the head only out of sheer luck.

Minor: Lay on Hands, Nadya
Standard: Enfeebling Strike on the Brute again, for 9 damage, and a refresh on the -2 to attack rolls. Divine Challenge is maintained.

pre:
Keaira von Vesnt
Keaira von Vesnt
Init: +0	Action points: just the one
HP: 18/28	Surges: 9/11:7
AC: 10	Fort: 15	Ref: 12	Will: 15
Insight +8; Intimidate +8; Religion +4; Perception: +3; Stealth: +0

Conditionals:
- +1 to saving throws, +3 vs. immobilize, daze, stun, or weaken.

[-] Divine Challenge: minor to mark. -2 to hit and 6 radiant for attacking not me
[ ] Second Wind
[ ] Divine Mettle or Divine Strength (one Channel Divinity/encounter)
[ ] Guardian Light
[ ] Lay on Hands
[ ] Glorious Charge
(Boy, I hope I stop rolling 1s on attacks sometime before this reroll power wears off.)

  • Locked thread
«16 »