Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
This year's NHL Draft is being held on June 27-28 in beautiful Philadelphia, PA:

The belle's of this year's ball are:

Sam Reinhart, C, Kookooknee Ice

Sam Bennett, C, Some Team With Stripey Jerseys

Sam Ekblad, D, Indianapolis Colts

Sam Draisaitl, C, Eden Hall Warriors

Big huge dude who might score 10 goals a year and be picked really high by the Maple Leafs, RW,

Here's some draft rankings:

And here's the pick order:
1. Florida
Aaron Ekblad

2. Buffalo
Sam Reinhart

3. Edmonton
Leon Draisaitl

4. Calgary
Sam Bennett

5. NY Islanders
Michael Dal Colle

6. Vancouver
Jake Virtanen

7. Carolina
Haydn Fleury

8. Toronto
Willie Nylander

9. Winnipeg
Nikolaj Ehlers

10. Anaheim (from Ottawa)
Nick Ritchie

11. Nashville
Kevin Fiala

12. Phoenix
Brendan Perlini

13. Washington
Jakub Vrana

14. Dallas
Julius Honka

15. Detroit
Dylan Larkin

16. Columbus
Sonny Milano

17. Philadelphia
Travis Sanheim

18. Minnesota
Alex Tuch

19. Tampa Bay
Anthony DeAngelo

20. Chicago (from San Jose)
Nick Schmaltz

21. St. Louis
Robbie Fabbri

22. Pittsburgh
Kasperi Kapanen

23. Colorado
Conner Bleackley

24. Vancouver (from Anaheim)
Jared McCann

25. Boston
David Pastrnak

26. Montreal
Nikita Scherbak

27. San Jose (from Chicago)
Nikolay Goldobin

28. NY Islanders (from Tampa Bay (from NY Rangers))
Josh Ho-Sang

29. Los Angeles
Adrian Kempe

30. New Jersey
John Quenneville

Trades
Vancouver trades Ryan Kesler and a 2015 3rd round pick to Anaheim for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, the #24 pick, and this year's 3rd round pick.
Vancouver trades Jason Garrison , the rights to Jeff Costello, and a 2015 7th round pick to Tampa Bay for this year's 2nd round pick (#50).
Vancouver trades the 2014 3rd round pick they received for Ryan Kesler to the New York Rangers for Derek Dorsett.
Pittsburgh trades James Neal to Nashville for Patrick Hornqvist and Nick Spaling.
San Jose trades picks #20 and #179 to Chicago for picks #27 and #62.
Tampa Bay trades pick #28 to the New York Islanders for picks #35 and #57.

San Jose trades pick #62 to Nashville for picks #72 and #108.
LA trades Linden Vey to Vancouver for pick #50.
Toronto trade Carl Gunnarson and pick #94 to St Louis for Roman Polak.
Chicago trades Brandon Bollig to Calgary for pick #83

Also there will be wacky trades and Pierre Maguire having huge boners about 18 year old kids.

Discuss who you think the Florida Panthers will pick first overall and will never be heard from again.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
If the Sabres don't end up with Reinhart I'm going to suicide.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Florida is trying to make a splash with new ownership and they're aggressively shopping the 1st overall.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Here is a nice site I like: http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

sba posted:

If the Sabres don't end up with Reinhart I'm going to suicide.

I'm about 50% resigned to Vancouver trading spots with Florida and taking Reinhart 1st overall. The actual likelihood of this happening is much lower than that, but I'm mentally preparing for it just in case.

And if it does happen, I want Buffalo to take Ekblad at #2 because I think he's gonna be really loving good and in five years all of this back and forth between him and the three top forwards is gonna look really loving dumb (because Ekblad will be the best in the draft class [and it won't be close] {just MHO tho}])

whatis fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 22, 2014

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Florida is trying to make a splash with new ownership and they're aggressively shopping the 1st overall.

Jim Benning has made it abundantly clear they like Sam Reinhart and want the first overall pick. Sort of a signal that the team is going in a whole new direction. I'd say there's probably a 50/50 chance that that's the case considering Kesler will be shipped out of town. I am kinda terrified as to what that will entail.

Now let me tell you all about the glory that is Robbie Fabbri.

Centre, Guelph.

Regular season

58gp 45g 42a 87pts 55pims (14th overall)

Playoffs

16gp 13g 15a 28pts 12pims (3rd overall)

Memorial Cup

4gp 2g 4a 6pts 4pims (4th overall)

Compare that to Sam Bennett

Regular Season

57gp 36g 55a 91pts 118pims (9th overall)

Playoffs

7gp 5g 4a 9pts (37th overall)

Memorial cup

N/A

So what is the difference between the two? Bennett is 2" taller, 20lbs heavier and has been called the next Doug Gilmour.

Scouts are idiots. Whoever picks Fabbri is going to be really happy with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSprrrIv7fc

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
SBN's mock draft: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/6/18/5820800/nhl-mock-draft-2014-sb-nation-list-order-picks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Also the Canucks are going to take Jake Virtanen 6th overall because he's from Abbotsford and has a lot of goals. His career peak is David Booth, a guy everyone hated because injuries he received as a result of his style of play made him effectively useless. Virtanen has already had a serious shoulder injury and is currently rehabbing from surgery as a result. I am so excited to see him get rushed into the league and snap in half because BC BOY!

e: Also drafting a guy you know to be less talented because he doesn't fit into your division's style of play is beyond idiotic, yet people keep going on about how more skilled players like Fabbri, Nylander, Ehlers, etc. won't work in Vancouver because the Western Conference is too tough. Just like how Patrick Kane, Matt Duchene, Tyler Seguin, Joe Pavelski, Jordan Eberle, Nate MacKinnon, Alex Steen, the Nuge and David Perron have all really struggled in the West because they're smaller players who rely primarily on skill.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 22, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

whatis posted:

And if it does happen, I want Buffalo to take Ekblad at #2 because I think he's gonna be really loving good and in five years all of this back and forth between him and the three top forwards is gonna look really loving dumb (because Ekblad will be the best in the draft class [and it won't be close] {just MHO tho}])

Argument: Adam Larsson

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Panthers will take Aaron Ekblad and put him in the starting lineup.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gotta love that draft order. Go Canadian Teams! :thumbsup:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Ah, the draft, perhaps the height of that beautiful brief flash that is team resignings, draft day, and ~*free agent madness*~. Godspeed, Hexy, bring us a 6'8" slow defenseman who never plays a game in Philly

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Argument: Adam Larsson

Sometimes players drafted early don't live up to their billing. Sometimes they do.

The only correct move is to draft no one at all

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

So from what I can tell, nobody has any idea what to think about Ehlers. On initial look, he's got a zillion points, so he should be a top pick. But then on a slighly closer look, some people who actually look at context realize he played with Drouin, so that's where all his points come from, so he's a way over rated pick. But then some people take even closer of a look, and it turns out he didn't score much of his points playing with Drouin, but rather on the 2nd line, now he's an exciting top pick again. But then some fancy stat people look into quality of competition or zone starts or something, and there's now worry he was playing mostly against 2nd line defenders, and juniors have a much bigger falloff between 1st and 2nd line defenders than we're used to in pro hockey, so now he's possibly a risky pick again. But then there's even fancier stats that invalidate this argument as well, and he's now a top pick again.

Of course none of that matters because players get drafted based on the formula (Points+Height+Weight+Grit)/(Distance of birthplace to drafting team) or something.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I know you don't draft for need, but it'd be nice if the Blues could get a decent center prospect in their system.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kreez posted:

So from what I can tell, nobody has any idea what to think about Ehlers. On initial look, he's got a zillion points, so he should be a top pick. But then on a slighly closer look, some people who actually look at context realize he played with Drouin, so that's where all his points come from, so he's a way over rated pick. But then some people take even closer of a look, and it turns out he didn't score much of his points playing with Drouin, but rather on the 2nd line, now he's an exciting top pick again. But then some fancy stat people look into quality of competition or zone starts or something, and there's now worry he was playing mostly against 2nd line defenders, and juniors have a much bigger falloff between 1st and 2nd line defenders than we're used to in pro hockey, so now he's possibly a risky pick again. But then there's even fancier stats that invalidate this argument as well, and he's now a top pick again.

People made all these arguments about Drouin playing with MacKinnon last year and welp, they were wrong. I'd tend to believe that Ehlers is legitimately talented.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Bennett is also five months younger than Fabbri. It's not a huge spread, but it's a consideration.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

So to predict Montreal's selections, do I arrange the list by height or fighting majors?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

People made all these arguments about Drouin playing with MacKinnon last year and welp, they were wrong. I'd tend to believe that Ehlers is legitimately talented.

also most of ehlers ev points weren't actually with drouin

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

also most of ehlers ev points weren't actually with drouin

That's where the "BUT DROUIN DREW THE BETTER DEFENDERS!" argument came in. People seem to go to great lengths to point out why skilled forwards aren't as good as the ridiculous number they put up, but will make countless excuses to explain the lack of offence from 'power forward' prospects. It's bizarre.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Everyone thinks they can pick the next Milan Lucic when he's probably a 1/100 whereas the tiny dude dominating at every level is guaranteed value

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Rene Bork posted:

So to predict Montreal's selections, do I arrange the list by height or fighting majors?

By weight duh

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kreez posted:

It would be neat if someone who follows this kind of stuff way more could do an effortpost that shows some of the projected first rounders who get ranked very differently depending on whether you're more into fancy stats or not. Seems to me like Ritchie is one of these types? Fiala?

Kreez asked this in the other thread, but I'm sure he meant it for here.

Anyways, I'm no fancy stat guru but I'm a big fan of the draft and seeing if there's a way to project players statistically that filters out the white noise that is scout's pre-conceived notions of what a player should or should not be. Really useful statistics like Corsi/Fenwick, etc. aren't tracked for junior as far as I'm aware, so I figured the next best thing would be to normalize scoring based on a player's league and GP, and see who rises to the top. Pretty much the easiest statistical analysis you can do (I am hopeless at math and majored in history so if I can do it, statisticians employed by professional sports teams should be able to do something better I hope).

I've been working on this on and off for a few weeks and I've only focused on the CHL because I have no idea how to compare across NCAA/European leagues, but basically my methodology is as follows: Determine a player's Goals per game, assists per game and points per game and normalize them so that every player is playing 72 games (the WHL plays four more games than the OHL and QMJHL). I then adjust based on the team goals per game of each league and see who rises to the top. Again, incredibly simple but it seems to work.

For 2014 forwards I got the following:

code:
Name	Adj Stnd PTS
REINHART, SAM	128.63
EHLERS, NIK	121.71
DRAISAITL, LEO	120.59
BENNETT, SAM	110.41
BARBASHEV, IVA	104.45
FABBRI, ROB	103.73
DAL COLLE, MIC	98.06
GOLDOBIN, NIK	97.02
POINT, BRA	92.90
SCHERBAK, NIK	88.21
HO-SANG, JOS	87.74
PERLINI, BRE	84.66
RITCHIE, NIC	83.89
VIRTANEN, JAK	73.50
QUENNEVILLE, JOH69.89
MCCANN, JAR	66.99
CORNEL, ERI	63.05
LEMEIUX, BRE	56.39
GARDINER, REID	46.20
MacINNIS, RYA	38.77
I only did the top twenty because honestly it's pretty time consuming, but that gives me some interesting results when you compare it to previous years.

2004 NHL Entry Draft CHL Forwards

code:
BRENT, TIM*	89.84
DUBINSKY, BRA	88.27
LADD, AND	84.87
SCHREMP, ROB	83.29
PICARD, ALE	76.52
WOLSKI, WOJ	75.38
BOLLAND, DAV	73.26
GARLOCK, RYA	71.07
PRUST, BRA*	65.28
CHIPCHURA, KYL	60.26
LAMMERS, JOH	58.31
KARSUMS, MAR	58.30
GRAHAM, BRUCE	55.32
BERTI, ADAM	49.53
MEIDL, VAC	44.55
BICKELL, BRY	43.37
BOYD, DUS	42.40
COMEAU, BLA	37.34
TOBIN, MAR	36.35
BYERS, DAN	26.78

*player in 2nd or more year of eligibility
Compare that to the order they were actually selected:

code:
1	LADD, AND	84.87
2	PICARD, ALE	76.52
3	CHIPCHURA, KYL	60.26
4	WOLSKI, WOJ	75.38
5	SCHREMP, ROB	83.29
6	BOLLAND, DAV	73.26
7	BICKELL, BRY	43.37
8	GARLOCK, RYA	71.07
9	COMEAU, BLA	37.34
10	BYERS, DAN	26.78
11	GRAHAM, BRUCE	55.32
12	DUBINSKY, BRA	88.27
13	KARSUMS, MAR	58.30
14	TOBIN, MAR	36.35
15	BERTI, ADAM	49.53
16	PRUST, BRA*	65.28
17	BRENT, TIM*	89.84
18	MEIDL, VAC	44.55
19	LAMMERS, JOH	58.31
20	BOYD, DUS	42.40
Of the 10 CHL forwards selected in 2004 that had less than 60 league adjusted standardized points (LASP), 7 never played more than 50 games in the NHL, two played between 250 and 399 and one (Blake Comeau) has played 400 or more to date. None are anything more than role players.

Compared to players with the 10 players with a LASP above 60 and you have 9 of 10 players making the NHL with 8 playing 100 or more games. Of the eight players with a LASP that equaled a PPG or higher (70+pts), seven made the NHL with the only one that didn't being Ryan Garlock who had 71 pts.

The same is true of other years

2005 NHL Entry Draft

code:
CROSBY, SID	182.86
ROUSSIN, DAN*	113.45
RYAN, BOB	100.99
BRULE, GIL	98.36
ZAGRAPAN, MAR	93.79
BOURRET, ALE	93.08
DOWNIE, STE	84.19
McARDLE, KEN	83.66
LATENDRESS, GUI	80.98
BROPHEY, EVA	80.40
SETOGUCHI, DEV	73.41
POULIOT, BEN	70.35
O'MARRA, RYA	69.25
BARNES, JOE*	68.15
DURAND, CHR	62.35
BLUNDEN, MIK	47.29
NEAL, JAMES	46.20
CLICHE, MAR	28.41
DUPONT, BRO	28.27
KASSIAN, MAT	16.06

*player in 2nd year of eligibility or greater
Compare that to the draft order:

code:
Rank	Name	Adj Stnd PTS
1	CROSBY, SID	182.86
2	RYAN, BOB	100.99
3	POULIOT, BEN	70.35
4	BRULE, GIL	98.36
5	SETOGUCHI, DEV	73.41
6	ZAGRAPAN, MAR	93.79
7	O'MARRA, RYA	69.25
8	BOURRET, ALE	93.08
9	McARDLE, KEN	83.66
10	DOWNIE, STE	84.19
11	NEAL, JAMES	46.20
12	BLUNDEN, MIK	47.29
13	LATENDRESS, GUI	80.98
14	ROUSSIN, DAN*	113.45
15	DURAND, CHR	62.35
16	CLICHE, MAR	28.41
17	KASSIAN, MAT	16.06
18	BARNES, JOE*	68.15
19	DUPONT, BRO	28.27
20	BROPHEY, EVA	80.40
7 of the 12 players with a LASP of a PPG or higher made the NHL on a regular basis (250+ games), only one of the eight that didn't managed the same (James Neal).

Ditto 2006

2006 NHL Entry Draft

code:
BRASSARD, DER	131.20
LITTLE, BRY	118.09
GIROUX, CLA	97.92
STEWART, CHR	97.29
BOUCHARD, FRA*	96.97
EMMERTON, COR	94.55
MUELLER, PET	93.28
SHEPPARD, JAM	83.49
FOLIGNO, NIC	74.67
HOLZAPFEL, RIL	74.48
BURKI, COD	72.88
MAXWELL, BEN	72.72
STAAL, JOR	69.34
GRABNER, MIC	62.41
WHITE, RYA	61.56
McGINN, JAM	60.80
FIALA, OND	57.39
SWAN, BRYCE	48.23
MATTHIAS, SHAWN	35.19
LUCIC, MIL	25.63

*Player in 2nd or greater year of eligibility
Order they were actually selected

code:
1	STAAL, JOR	69.34
2	BRASSARD, DER	131.20
3	MUELLER, PET	93.28
4	SHEPPARD, JAM	83.49
5	LITTLE, BRY	118.09
6	GRABNER, MIC	62.41
7	STEWART, CHR	97.29
8	GIROUX, CLA	97.92
9	FOLIGNO, NIC	74.67
10	BOUCHARD, FRA*	96.97
11	McGINN, JAM	60.80
12	SWAN, BRYCE	48.23
13	FIALA, OND	57.39
14	EMMERTON, COR	94.55
15	HOLZAPFEL, RIL	74.48
16	MATTHIAS, SHAWN	35.19
17	MAXWELL, BEN	72.72
18	LUCIC, MIL	25.63
19	BURKI, COD	72.88
20	WHITE, RYA	61.56
Again this is the simplest normalization score I could think of. It doesn't account for age, time on ice, quality of competition, corsi, fenwick, or any of the millions of other stats you could throw in there to make it more comprehensive. But pretty much without fail, a team's best bet is just to sort my list and draft the highest scoring forward.

Obviously it's not perfect, power forwards do seem to put up relatively few points in their draft year (J. Staal, Lucic and Neal are all pretty serious misses with this system), but in general it seems to be a good way of looking at the draft. Players who score more points and put up a better PPG are more likely to be NHLers. The higher their LASP, the more likely they are to be effective NHLers.

So really, if it came down to me choosing between three players in Ehlers, Virtanen and Ritchie for the Canucks at #6, I'd take Ehlers simply because he has the highest likelihood of success. While it is possible to miss out on a premier power forward in the other two, the point of a draft pick should be to maximize the possibility of the player turning into something useful rather than swinging for the fences and hoping for Lucic.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 22, 2014

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Based on uh my research I want the Oilers to take uh *checks note card* Leon Dristal

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
here's some info for chicago fans on their new starting winger

Guignol posted:

Nikita Scherbak is a beaut and a shining star on a very bad Saskatoon Blades team. After being drafted third last in the import draft, sight unseen by Saskatoon's very busy GM, Scherbak spent the first few games of the season in a rights dispute with the Russian junior league, who I believe had him chained to a filthy drainpipe until Saskatoon paid them off.

Once he made it out of Sovietland, Scherbak put up 28 goals and 50 assists for the Blades in the year, which is a loving miracle since the Blades were god awful and are singlehandedly responsible for my drinking problem. Technically a rookie despite being 18, Scherbak has put up 19 more points than the next leading rookie scorer, and is far and away the biggest surprise of the league.

Beginning his WHL career as the guy in your beer league who won't get off the ice or backcheck, Scherbak has matured into a fine 1.75-way player who only occasionally takes 3-minute shifts. He has soft, buttery hands, skates faster than 99% of the league and wears huge shoulder pads that make him look about 50 pounds heavier than he is. Nikita Scherbak would make a fine first- or second-round pick for the Washington Capitals, who seem to attract former Saskatoon Blades like flies on poo poo (see also: Holtby, Braden; Green, Mike; Erat, Martin.) He would also look very handsome on Toews' wing, Chicago!

Casual CHL fans may recognize Scherbak for his amazing breakaway during the Top Prospects game, when he fell on his butt and plowed into the goaltender. Prince George Cougars fans will recognize him as the player whose shoulder was injured by their biggest shitstain late in the season, which thankfully seems to not have affected his draft position too much. The Prince George Cougars can still suck the ugliest part of my rear end in a top hat.

Here are some fine videos that feature Mr. Scherbak and his buttery hands. Keep your eye on the visiting blue line and you just might see three handsome Saskatoon goons who'll be making GBS threads up this thread all month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_RaLuZhMBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_NRHZllwZA

Scherbak!

checksin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 23, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

That's where the "BUT DROUIN DREW THE BETTER DEFENDERS!" argument came in. People seem to go to great lengths to point out why skilled forwards aren't as good as the ridiculous number they put up, but will make countless excuses to explain the lack of offence from 'power forward' prospects. It's bizarre.

Another thing strongly in Ehlers' favour is that he had such a great year in his first CHL season. Fewer seasons in the CHL is genuinely considered a relative positive (since it means that a player is excelling with less time having adapted) and is also, for example, one of the points in favour of Bennett (two CHL seasons) over Reinhart (four). There tends to be an assumption that Ehlers is a small guy who can score, since he's a Euro and sort of a later riser in the draft, but he's properly Kadri-sized.

ThinkTank posted:

Kreez asked this in the other thread, but I'm sure he meant it for here.

One of the things worth underlining is that while various fancy stat people, especially Leafs bloggers, are big on Ehlers over Ritchie it's important to note that the biggest knock on Ritchie is his effort level. Pronman wrote this on him a couple of weeks ago (when he ranked Ritchie 18th):

quote:

Prior to this season, Ritchie struggled with injuries and consistency, but he got on more of a solid footing in 2013-14.
His defense needs some work, and he has a tendency to disappear at times (which is difficult for such a large player).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Gonna be real funny when Tampa ends up drafting Ehlers

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Julius Honka is a pretty cool name.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Canucks apparently offering the 6th overall, Hunter Shinkaruk and a roster player for the 1st overall. I have no idea what to think of that.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

grack posted:

Canucks apparently offering the 6th overall, Hunter Shinkaruk and a roster player for the 1st overall. I have no idea what to think of that.

Apparently that roster player is Tanev, if so then :laffo:. If not, it might actually be a pretty decent idea.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

This would be a bad trade if the roster player as Tanev.

I want to keep Shinkaruk though, he's the only pure skill prospect the Canucks have had since Raymond. :smith:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So what pack of dumbasses draft Ritchie?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Steve Simmons got some great quotes from Josh Ho-Sang and now I need him on the Flyers. He's the cocky embodiment of what racists think PK Subban and Evander Kane are actually like.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

quote:

“If I was a general manager and had first pick in the draft, I’d pick me No. 1 ... In three years, I’ll be the best player in this draft. And I have no doubt about that. I know myself. I know the other players. I believe in my ability. There are guys ranked ahead of me who are nowhere near me.”

-

“I love to dangle. I love to play an offensive game. I love to celebrate when I score. I believe in myself. And when I tell them that, they take from that what they want.”

-

“The Leafs have said they want to move up to pick first,” Ho-Sang said.

“Well, they can stay at eight and still get the No. 1 pick.”

He was referring to himself.

-

“I think colour definitely plays a factor in perception,” said Ho-Sang.

“People watch my games and are very critical. When I start dangling, my GM calls me a Harlem Globetrotter. Why am I a Harlem Globetrotter? Analogies get related to basketball all the time with me. I don’t play basketball. I’ve never played basketball. I’m a hockey player. Why are they doing that?

“When I do anything, I’m just another black kid with attitude. I think I get misunderstood because these guys want to figure me out without talking to me and try to come up with every single reason why there’s something wrong with me."

-

“And I know, it would not hurt a team to have one of their best players being black and have an Asian last name. That wouldn’t hurt marketability or jersey selling one bit. Just from the standpoint of making money, I feel I’d be a pretty big ticket. A lot of my goals are close to highlight-reel goals. I play an exciting game."

He's the best.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rene Bork posted:

Are we to assume you're already arranging by french?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
So is Ho-Sang the wild card of this draft? Really skilled but also has ~ChArAcTeR iSsUeS~

Also, people keep mocking Ryan MacInnis to the Blues at 21 and if they take him there I'm going to kill someone.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mike_V posted:

So is Ho-Sang the wild card of this draft? Really skilled but also has ~ChArAcTeR iSsUeS~

Also, people keep mocking Ryan MacInnis to the Blues at 21 and if they take him there I'm going to kill someone.

Well I've seen it reported that more than half the teams in the league supposedly have him on a don't draft list because of his perceived issues.

The scoring numbers in junior on a mediocre team along with the scouting profile (which is excellent) suggest he should be in the conversation in the 10-15 range, or arguably above that in the top 10. Most of the predictions I've seen suggest he will actually be picked in the 2nd round. So I'd say the likelyhood is high for a team to make an excellent pick and get a guy with a good potential to be a top line forward much lower in the draft than you would expect him to go.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Starsfan posted:

Well I've seen it reported that more than half the teams in the league supposedly have him on a don't draft list because of his perceived issues.

The scoring numbers in junior on a mediocre team along with the scouting profile (which is excellent) suggest he should be in the conversation in the 10-15 range, or arguably above that in the top 10

are you thinking of a dude who scored points this year because macinnis didnt do that

i can think of 20 forwards i'd take over him alone

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Verviticus posted:

are you thinking of a dude who scored points this year because macinnis didnt do that

i can think of 20 forwards i'd take over him alone

no I'm talking about Josh Ho Sang.. For some reason I only registered the first part of that post in my head.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

oh wow. i only read the second half of yours, lol

yeah, i wouldnt be too upset if the canucks traded for the 10 and picked him even, i dunno. really hope he's available at 24 and they take him there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Verviticus posted:

oh wow. i only read the second half of yours, lol

yeah, i wouldnt be too upset if the canucks traded for the 10 and picked him even, i dunno. really hope he's available at 24 and they take him there

I think there's a good chance he will be around at 24.. just from what I'm reading. I kind of doubt he actually ends up escaping the 1st round, there's too many good teams who can afford to gamble on a high reward player with supposed character issues at the bottom end of the draft.

I don't think you would need to trade up to 10, or that there's enough value in picking him in the 10-15 range that you should make the move. This draft is deep in guys who are in that range of performance / projection - guys like Robby Fabri, Ivan Barbashev, and Brendan Perlini who will be available in that area. Once he starts slipping down towards 20, I think that's when a team like Canucks can sacrifice a 3rd round pick or something to jump up 5 spots in the order and grab him. It would definitely be a huge boost to their system to get a couple of potential top line talents in Ho Sang and whoever they pick at 6.

• Locked thread