Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Hey pet folks,

So yesterday was a bad day on my street. I heard my next door neighbor hollering and screaming for help, so of course I ran outside. She was crying and barely making any sense, but the situation was pretty clear when I saw her cat laying on the front lawn fairly well chewed up. Sitting about 20 feet away were 2 dogs, one obviously with pitbull in him and the other I'm not sure. They looked pleased as poo poo over what they did, I shooed them off and they took off between a couple houses.

The thing is, we had seen these two dogs running around all day. They were collared and had tags, so when I first saw them after it was obvious they weren't violent (to people anyway) was to see if I could call one over to read his tag. You know, the neighborly thing to do when someone's pet is running around loose. They wouldn't go for it, and spend a couple hours wandering the street before embarking on their cat murder adventure.

This actually hits really hard for me, because my neighbor is the sweetest nicest woman and the best neighbor anyone could ever ask for. She's absolutely wrecked because she's going through a lot of stress trying to take care of her medically troubled husband and now this.

We called animal control, they sent an officer out that took our statements and such. Took pictures of the chewed on cat, and told us the following. They'll patrol the area for 10 days hoping to catch sight of the dogs, city police will keep an eye out as well. If they find who the dogs belong to they'll probably be confiscated and the owners will face charges and a stiff fine.

All well and good, and I confess I've been driving the neighborhood myself trying to discover where these dogs call home. But I suppose my question is, what possibility is there if animal control doesn't find them or doesn't bother to check records to find who owns two large dogs nearby? Put out an ad in the paper? Drive around with a bullhorn? I just really don't want this to end with "We never found out who owns them, tough poo poo" because as I said, this neighbor has done a lot for me and my family.

Just talking to other folks that live within a street or two it's like someone unleashed some kind of reign of terror yesterday. Plenty of people saw the dogs running around loose, I even talked to a couple walking their small dog and the guy was carrying a goddamn tree limb. No lie, he saw the dogs and they looked or acted agressive towards his pet so he picked up a hefty stick to defend himself if he had to.

Does anyone work animal control and have some idea how seriously these sorts of departments take things where someones pet gets killed by some careless fuckstick letting their dogs get loose? Do they actually make an effort, or is it more of a "File report and meh" sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

It's probably more the latter. Unfortunately AC doesn't really have the resources to do much of anything.

• Locked thread