Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

ah yes the noted hacker group known for their signature denial of service attack, also known as "no one notices the database server slowly filling its hard drive"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://medium.com/@vijayp/of-taxis-and-rainbows-f6bc289679a1

NYC had to give trip and fare logs of 173 million taxi rides due to a FOIA request.

They anonimized it by hashing the data, only failed miserably.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
that's a lot of words to say "hashing predictably small datasets doesn't work also lol md5"

and yet nothing about how releasing gps coordinates of the start and end of every taxi trip might be a bad idea‽

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

jony ive aces posted:

that's a lot of words to say "hashing predictably small datasets doesn't work also lol md5"

and yet nothing about how releasing gps coordinates of the start and end of every taxi trip might be a bad idea‽

No it's OK you see because the person getting in and out isn't identified and

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

forums come back up, osi creates a new secfuck thread. yeah that's deffo not some sorta conspiracy. op has been compromised by :nsa:

we're through the looking glass here people

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cheese-cube posted:

forums come back up, osi creates a new secfuck thread. yeah that's deffo not some sorta conspiracy. op has been compromised by :nsa:

reverse vampires :newlol:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

the forums dying is a warrant canary for rufo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jony ive aces posted:

The GPS coordinates of trips is absolutely required to be public knowledge.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

The GPS coordinates of trips is absolutely required to be public knowledge.

:allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wish they'd post the gps coordinates of where your posts come from so we can check them for freshness

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ethically sourced fair trade posts

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

fishmech has underage asian children with cheap gigabit manufacturing his posts. its not cost effective to do it in the US unfortunately.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

it's in the laws for taxi licensing that all the trips should have the start and end points recorded, and attempting to obfuscate the data makes it useless.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

in other news after seeing their failure to crash SA sea operatives hacked my stove resulting in burnt eggs
did you really believe it for a second?

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
i want to believe

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i thought it was lol either way but occam's razor says radium broke the forums

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
personally I'm going to blame datavail for the extended fuckup, I've worked with them before and it seemed like every last one of their dbas are very high quality individuals from India who care about doing their jobs correctly the first time and always understand everything perfectly

nothing could possibly go wrong by handing your root credentials to such a fine employee

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Cold on a Cob posted:

i thought it was lol either way but occam's razor says radium broke the forums

lowtax specifically said on twitter that the forums ran out of disk space because a radium script wasn't pruning logs like it was supposed to

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

daft punk railroad posted:

lowtax specifically said on twitter that the forums ran out of disk space because a radium script wasn't pruning logs like it was supposed to

i think that was the second crash, the evening the forums went back up

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

oh i didn't realize there was a second

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
yesterday he announced the forums went back up, a bunch of people got one or two posts in, and then they exploded again

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

another success for team barry

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Vicas posted:

yesterday he announced the forums went back up, a bunch of people got one or two posts in, and then they exploded again

ah, the old "second post has hit the forums" excuse

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

something something caching something web scale something sharting something mongodb

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Vicas posted:

yesterday he announced the penis went back up, a bunch of people got one or two strokes in, and then they exploded again

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

idk a lot about forums software or anything but wouldn't adding even a 2TB hard drive be kinda a lot for a forums full of text?

I'm sure though there's avery complicated reason why you can't "just" add a hard drive and whatever that reason is it's stupid.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

jony ive aces posted:

a website i visit put out a "we care about your privacy! your ip address is not logged to disk, only its md5 hash!"

code:
import hashlib
{i:md5sum for i,hashlib.md5(i).hexdigest() in range(4294967295)}
woop.

even better since its a board limited to a single college where everyone gets a static ip in a specific /16

yeah i know that doesnt actually work but you get the idea

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

computer toucher posted:

idk a lot about forums software or anything but wouldn't adding even a 2TB hard drive be kinda a lot for a forums full of text?

I'm sure though there's avery complicated reason why you can't "just" add a hard drive and whatever that reason is it's stupid.

the server probably only has a couple of slots that are all full

also if it uses scsi U320 like i heard they are obnoxious to get.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

computer toucher posted:

if its a raid 5/6 array, it takes hours to add drives, distribute data across them, and re-write parity data. goes at about 3gb/min with modern hardware

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

obviously you need to touch more computers, computer toucher :smuggo:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/295las/35_of_my_btc_gone_pc_not_compromised/

quote:

I had 35 Bitcoin spread across 18 wallets and the coins have been sitting idle for months. Sometime last night, all 35 coins were moved to two addresses:

1cvvnsUpaAvatvfDKgixRYvSdGLDfA4CA and 18rmY7jHdk4mrdMN46ERbFXm8YvM6ZDFo3

I'm still in shock basically as to how I let this happen, as I had thought that having my coins spread across 18 wallets with 18 different private keys was going to work. I'm confident that neither my PC or my offline backups were compromised. I'll update here if I can somehow figure out what happened, still very crushed that 95% of my bitcoin holdings are now gone and moved to an address that isn't in my control.

Edit: I was an idiot and assumed that the "random" button on brainwallet.org was truly random, but it clearly is not. My coins were taken by someone who is clearly smarter than myself and this is completely my fault by creating Bitcoin addresses on a website that I assumed was safe. There's a $20k life lesson that I'll never forget, that's for sure. Also, to elaborate, I did not use the passphrase functionality on brainwallet.org, I used the random button to create the addresses.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Math.random() function returns a floating-point, pseudo-random number in the range [0, 1) that is, from 0 (inclusive) up to but not including 1 (exclusive), which you can then scale to your desired range.

The random number generator is seeded from the current time, as in Java.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
oh my god lmao

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

holy moly

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
In other news the amount of security webinar and other advertising spam i get has gone up an order of magnitude.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The Math.random() function returns a floating-point, pseudo-random number in the range [0, 1) that is, from 0 (inclusive) up to but not including 1 (exclusive), which you can then scale to your desired range.

The random number generator is seeded from the current time, as in Java.

that reminds me of how unreal ircd does this

the host masking it does via irc is based on when the ircd is compiled. this means that one could figure out the seed generated based on the epoch time at compile and then determine what the salt is for the md5s used to mask the hosts

code:
14:08:22 [yospos] -!- Your host is yospos.irc, running version Unreal3.2.10.2
14:08:22 [yospos] -!- This server was created Fri Apr 18 2014 at 00:29:25 UTC
so yeah you could figure it out at connection time and then go from there

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
when did IRC start hiding the hosts.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

loving lol

return fail;

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

i forgot to sperg about the braces and semicolons im glad ur picking up the slack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

when did IRC start hiding the hosts.

some ircds (unreal in particular) will just mask part of the host so 302939is.yospos.irc would just become 0ad8f8.yospos.irc or something

• Locked thread