Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

hobbesmaster posted:

really haven't had any problems with mine

sonicpoint APs on the other hand can eat a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah all business access points seem to be garbage

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'm currently getting kicked in the dick by aerohive

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
you guys haven't had the pleasure of working with fortinet or astaro/sophos it seems

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

i'm currently getting kicked in the dick by aerohive

i was basically an aerohive expert

what is kicking you in the dick about it?

also ubiquiti APs seems to be treating me okay for the price and stuff, almost no options though

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

you guys haven't had the pleasure of working with fortinet or astaro/sophos it seems

Ugh don't remind me of the Sophos gently caress up that caused it to break itself when everything with an updater became a virus.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

slightly less harmful but still funny is SEP which has an option to force def updates when something is detected

say, the temporary definitions file itself

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

OSI bean dip posted:

which fortinet products were poo poo? we have fortigate firewalls and those never gave us any issues

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

chiming in as a huge fortinet shill, i used to really enjoy working with them.

there was that one time though where they pushed out a dodgy IPS definition update which caused devices running certain versions of fortios to semi-brick themselves when rebooted (only way to recover the device was to access the fortios equivalent of rommon, erase the flash and reload the firmware via tftp). that was a fun few weeks.

oh also in older versions of fortios the default phase 1 proposals for ipsec were shameful (DES+MD5 iirc)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i apologize, but my brain wants to think this is some kind of security-based dorito, or perhaps cheerio :downs:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
has anyone ever used accessdata ftk+ and/or sleuthkit+autopsy and can compare them

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

this doesn't work in chrome for the record

lol

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

has anyone ever used accessdata ftk+ and/or sleuthkit+autopsy and can compare them

No, but I can tell you a lot about EnCase.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
christ i was an idiot yesterday

sorry

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ftk is a good thing if you don't mind waiting eons for it to build its search index

encase is awesome if you're the kind of person who doesn't like having to click alt-f4 to make an application close, also enscripts can do some pretty impressive stuff with a little cjing

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

computer toucher posted:

No, but I can tell you a lot about EnCase.

aren't encase and ftk and poo poo pretty much all the same?

also, how would any of them handle being run on a virtualized server?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
huh. so i guess that fortinet's stuff has improved?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mido posted:

i was basically an aerohive expert

what is kicking you in the dick about it?

also ubiquiti APs seems to be treating me okay for the price and stuff, almost no options though

A few of my AP's are semi randomly giving up the ghost wrt being managed, they fail to use capwap successfully and can't be locally ssh'd to. Some of them maintain service, some of them don't. Some of them still send logs, some of them don't. It owns. Got a ticket open with support

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

A few of my AP's are semi randomly giving up the ghost wrt being managed, they fail to use capwap successfully and can't be locally ssh'd to. Some of them maintain service, some of them don't. Some of them still send logs, some of them don't. It owns. Got a ticket open with support

huh, dang, I've deployed hundreds of em and not had anything that severe :( no reliable reproduction of the symptoms?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

ftk is a good thing if you don't mind waiting eons for it to build its search index

encase is awesome if you're the kind of person who doesn't like having to click alt-f4 to make an application close, also enscripts can do some pretty impressive stuff with a little cjing

EnCase 7 also does indexing and it's awesome.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

aren't encase and ftk and poo poo pretty much all the same?

also, how would any of them handle being run on a virtualized server?

a lot of people run encase on a server then citrix or RDP into it, it can be done. I tried to set it up on vmware workstation for some local machines for reduncancy, but it had performance issues. It's the happiest when installed locally.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mido posted:

huh, dang, I've deployed hundreds of em and not had anything that severe :( no reliable reproduction of the symptoms?

nope

Most of my AP's are fine it's just a weird handful. I want to forklift these out and go Extreme tho, the rest of my network is enterasys and AH hasn't really impressed me much since I got here. The real q tho will be price

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Some guy is BGP hijacking bitcoin mining pools and MITMing the miners to get credit on the pools

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/isp-bitcoin-theft/

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Another tragic example of how backwards our present day tubes are when compared to Bitcoin which ironically flows through said tubes.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sharktopus posted:

Some guy is BGP hijacking bitcoin mining pools and MITMing the miners to get credit on the pools

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/isp-bitcoin-theft/
the so-called border gateway protocol

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

we need some sort of cybertroops protecting our borders!!!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
anyone at defcon? missing out this year sadly

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sharktopus posted:

we need some sort of cybertroops protecting our borders!!!

immigrants taking are jobsbitcoins

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

did anyone ever bring a cell jammer/relay to convert all text messagfes going over into like "Butt Buttt butttssss butty but butts"

idk what secures cell phones from just joining any old thing but there must be something with the sim that verifies the carrier too?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

did anyone ever bring a cell jammer/relay to convert all text messagfes going over into like "Butt Buttt butttssss butty but butts"

idk what secures cell phones from just joining any old thing but there must be something with the sim that verifies the carrier too?

someone demonstrated this at some point, maybe even at defcon. i donno if lte is better at all, but you can definitely mitm gsm traffic if you can convince the phone to pick your "tower". if the phone is connecting and communicating, it's probably not a huge jump to capture the phone number and send a "you been phreaked bitch *hello.jpg*" message.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

your carrier can provide a whitelist of networks your phone is allowed to try to roam on, or they can not for improved roaming compatibility. this is because your carrier probably has a few roaming agreements with big partners and runs the rest through a roaming hub, so there's a pretty good chance that there's some kind of roaming agreement in-place that would give you service on an unrecognized network.

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_Roaming_List closed prl is a whitelist and do not connect to non-whitelisted networks, open prl connects to anything. the industry is transitioning from closed prl to open prl because everything always gets worse. im not sure about how hard it is to fake being a legit network the phone is allowed to connect to though

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

i'm here, other yosposters should dm me on twitter

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
in other news

the matasano cryptopals challenges + answers are going up on cryptopals.com apparently

yahoo are planning some kinda end-to-end encryption on email compatible with google's efforts

some more attacks on tls https://bh.ht.vc/

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i'm here, other yosposters should dm me on twitter

ok. I'm not there but I think my employer has some marketing drones over at Black Hat.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
guys

it has been solved

https://twitter.com/kaepora/status/497459470990344192

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:nsa: must love him

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

nadim is basically crypto fishmech

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

uncurable mlady posted:

Nadim knows nothing but has done something fishmech knows (Wikipedia) but has done nothing afaict

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

uncurable mlady posted:

I'd honestly rather fishmech build me bespoke artisan crypto over nadim at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh wow the hubris

dont fly 2 close 2 the sun nadim :ohdear:

• Locked thread