Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

how many applications would actually be negatively affected if Math.random() was a CSPRNG that read from the OS's /dev/urandom equivalent? like what fraction of webapps are sampling random numbers in a super-tight loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

minivanmegafun posted:

it's probably worth mentioning that that part of the JavaScript stdlib dates back to the days when people were running Netscape on win16, which a) didn't have a PRNG device supplied by the os and b) would have been balls slow to generate securely random numbers on for playing video games

were people actually making serious video james in javascript back then? i agree that making it use a real prng would've been silly though

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i don't see the fuckup

like yes they don't show any signs of having researched existing solutions and there's literally no reason this needs to be related to bitcoin but i don't see the problem with the bit you quoted

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Add a backdoor in the RedHat codebase.

get it renamed to Red Hate

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

suffix posted:

the main issue is that they are concatenating the uri and body without any length information or delimiter

so if you MITM a connection and they try to send something like:

POST /my/stuff?
donotdeleteallmydata=true

you can change it to

POST /my/stuff?donot
deleteallmydata=true

and the signature will still be valid.

you can also change a get request to put or post, change the content type header, etc.

here's the same thing done properly:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/RESTAuthentication.html

welp

this is why i don't design security protocols!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

how is http request formed

how database get pragnent

DELETE /mother?type=instain HTTP/1.1

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

bsafe RSA ghost

i don't get it

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

British sceptics started regarding the system as proof that the German pilots were not as good as their own, who they believed could do without such systems. It was Lindemann himself who proved this wrong, when aerial reconnaissance systems started returning photographs of the RAF bombing raids, showing that they were rarely, if ever, anywhere near their targets.[12]

:britain:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

syscall girl posted:

the brits liked to bomb at night in a cowardly fashion

americans were like yo it needs to be daytime to hit this factory and know you hit it and not the school/hospital/apartment building

iirc there was also a bunch of stuff after the allies had broken enigma and were using it to raid german supply lines etc. where the commanders were like 'they've totally broken our poo poo, we need to use new codes'

but the higher-ups didn't believe them because nobody could possibly break the mighty ciphers of the third reich

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

syscall girl posted:

menschamphetamine

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i get an abort on os x, don't feel like debugging further

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i wonder if anybody's ever actually been sued for violating one of those 'if you are not the intended recipient of this email you must format your hard drive' things

they'd win because it's about as enforceable as 'by reading this you agree to pay me $1000' but i wonder if anybody was idiotic enough to try it

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

another day, another bad intermediate CA

quote:

The intermediate CA certificates held by NIC were revoked on July 3, as noted above. But a root CA is responsible for all certificates issued under its authority. In light of this, in a future Chrome release, we will limit the India CCA root certificate to the following domains and subdomains thereof in order to protect users:

gov.in
nic.in
ac.in
rbi.org.in
bankofindia.co.in
ncode.in
tcs.co.in

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

suffix posted:

the more relevant examples are android and ios

neither are really at the point of "randomly download and execute stuff from the internet". you'd need to tighten down the permission system a lot

the most relevant example is the browser because 'randomly downloading and executing stuff from the internet' is just 'clicking on random links' and that's a security model they explicitly support

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

my god

fuSeWiRe

Shaggar Was Right

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Heresiarch posted:

False Intelligence Spreading Heuristic MECHanism

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i think this requires search b/c it doesn't work for me

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i only use lastpass for the dumb bullshit sites that i don't care about like the Something Awful Dot Com Internet Forums. stuff like my bank and amazon account are in keepass

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i don't bother with keyfiles and i store my keep rear end database in dropbox but i also use a diceware password and use enough rounds of key stretching that it takes a second to decrypt

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheese-cube posted:

lmao if you have lastpass/onepass/asspass and keep the creds for your email account to which everything is tied to in it and you dont have 2fa

also yeah this

my e-mail account password isn't written down anywhere

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Rufus Ping posted:

https://twitter.com/Sc00bzT/status/487033083430846464

for gods sake nadim can you not even spell the name of your product correctly

i can't tell if you're joking but cryptcat is something else

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

:negative:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

jony ive aces posted:

idk though, if keepass can simulate keystrokes to fill a login form, could a malicious app change set its window title and then simulate pressing my hotkey? :ohdear:

if you have a malicious app it could do a thousand different things to get your password out

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ultramiraculous posted:

also lol @ everything in the part about about mdm configurations. if someone used an mdm configuration on your device, that phone probably doesn't belong to you.

i thought the point was 'you can use an mdm configuration to disable some of these attacks'

but if shipping the phone off to apple lets them work around it then why bother

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mido posted:

I'm no cryptographer but isn't it worse to put known characters (0x00) into a field of a now known and static length than it is to just leave it alone?

why would that be worse

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ymgve posted:

if your encryption algo gets weaker due to known plaintexts, get a better one

yeah this

crypto is all about hiding information and the length of a filename is information

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mido posted:

so am I on or off track with my intuition here, I'm gettin conflicting info here

it seems like having mostly zeros of a known length is bad but if good crypto makes this irrelevant then why is he even bothering to pad it

because it might be interesting that a file has a name that's really long, even if you don't know what that name is. if it's a long file name and a couple hundred megs in size, it's probably something like Hot_Blonde_MILF_Chick_Shitposts_All_Over_Green_Forum.mp4.mp4.mkv.exe.wmv

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

That's true of a key file with current asymmetric systems; but, presently if the passphrase of my GPG private key is compromised (e.g. by a hardware key logger), I only have to change the passphrase and ensure the old keyfiles are destroyed.

under what circumstances are you going to get a compromise of your passphrase but not your key

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

minivanmegafun posted:

hardware keylogger? typing the passphrase to a remote machine over an insecure/MITM'd network connection?

if someone has a hardware keylogger what makes you think your machine isn't completely hosed, and how often are you going to get an ssh connection MITMed

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

minivanmegafun posted:

as far as ssh goes, how do you know you can trust the computer you're remoting in from?

good point

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bloody posted:

remind me - whats wrong with pgpg

usability

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

holy lol

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

there was also some site, i don't remember what, that would generate 'random' keys

using Math.random()

which is seeded from the current time in most browsers

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah it turns out using human-generated entropy is up there with plugging a flash drive you found in the parking lot of your nuclear materials factory into the production network

i don't get why people are so averse to a loving diceware password anyway

i use an 8-word diceware passphrase for my laptop, it's 8 random words and it took me like 2 minutes to memorize

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

code:
> apg -m32 -n20
mesvawyusOkjaivHodtyrinnOojOrsh0
agsodWoawjainJachcupghaifMenHien
IrlObyakewCekilriTatsacyidmairg3
HubepdobfahuddyagEluryohygubGuct
urcUdirbejNisAbEtvevBeitguel1Gra
ReymuvkiphedidnuddEinidojUjAfHyn
joghyimEvdylmidjetgobrEvecOmtir4
eithIrnAkyawchEthorcEbKotLutowt"
DexDapmuAgdytchiupghabickhaudgej
wybMeggamAfjimRiftisFajlyebgebin
Neufweewv4obGodIssUndeunyujCyag6
apkogDeyRygtyijOcoynomvapFiacVav
wicJudodcoygcipsokAishbomLurdOrl
cegeckRakyanOmgeerf4QuejPyapkic&
MotbopondObcakushalyeijonmyopFac
SwauHocsOrmUnwircAbFedWyunchemKu
IckDogupdiOjMitjinRosarlyebAtNuc
5DejNuithgeeHufdekyu/GiftUtcivia
Mumat5opShagIbjaywrarroacAcThems
uddaGrenjensifbesdaHeelemujHyhyb
didn't even have to write anything

yes those certainly look like passwords that are easy for someone to remember

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

citation needed that modern dev random blocks after boot

quote:

~ $ cat /dev/random
w{
Epľ��S���k�a�

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

obfuscating your e-mail ityool2014 and not just letting your anti-spam software deal with it seems kind of silly

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i wonder how good the scraper bots are at deciphering bespoke obfuscation by now. Like "firstname dot lastname at provider dot com" is easy to parse, but ive seen people do insane poo poo like "email_DELETE_THE_NEXT_WORD_address@somewhere.com" or wtf

sometimes i'll see people on SA put it in spoiler tags and it just baffles me. what are you even trying to prevent

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Snapchat A Titty posted:

werent/arent spoilers filtered for guests?

i just checked in an incognito window, they aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cookies over http is a bad idea, film at 11

• Locked thread