Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sniper + scorpion, I'm guessing.

But their Japanese name is a transliteration of the English "sniper." By that I mean in Japan their name is "Su-nai-pa". This is not the Japanese word for sniper. I think it's more likely that the devs wanted to call them Snippers and hosed it up than they actually wanted to call them Snipers. As far as FF translations go, this one's certainly good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder if they removed the city-to-city teleporters in the hard mode mod that Artix played, because you cannot have any conveniences in a hard mode game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I believe those are still in. However, since none of them go to Foresta, it's not that big a help.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008
I always loved the noise the Dragon Claw makes when you use it as a grappling hook.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

But their Japanese name is a transliteration of the English "sniper." By that I mean in Japan their name is "Su-nai-pa". This is not the Japanese word for sniper. I think it's more likely that the devs wanted to call them Snippers and hosed it up than they actually wanted to call them Snipers. As far as FF translations go, this one's certainly good enough.

Uhh, Snipper would be something like Sunipaa if we're going with a transliteration theory.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Uhh, Snipper would be something like Sunipaa if we're going with a transliteration theory.

The point is they got it wrong.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I wonder if they removed the city-to-city teleporters in the hard mode mod that Artix played, because you cannot have any conveniences in a hard mode game.

Whoa. I haven't played Mystic Quest in many years but I have played it several times and I don't think I knew these existed

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Torrannor posted:

Don’t they require rewards from battle fields thus are useless in speed runs?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Whoa. I haven't played Mystic Quest in many years but I have played it several times and I don't think I knew these existed

They require a crest that isn't available until the late game, and they're hidden in random peoples' basements. Like, I think the woman who sells you the Iron Helm has one. Also they're totally pointless except to save time since you can always just trek through the Focus Tower, which has no enemies.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
13. A Windia Mountain Than Most

First things first, something incredibly important is tucked away in this house.

Yes. Just take all of my money, I don’t care.

Shrug is starting to wipe out all of those annoying status effects. Unfortunately, petrification is going to have to wait a little while longer. But immunity to paralysis and confusion is fantastic and to a lesser extent not having to waste a charge or potion on healing blind is nice too.

Actually, I think I’m basically done spending money now because there’s nothing important left to buy. I have like 7600 GP so I could really just buy 99 seeds and call it a day but where’s the fun in that?

There’s also an arms dealer in here but there’s pretty much no way you’re still using the grenades so... moving on!

This house has a seed vendor but she can’t get any seeds with this wind. I guess that makes sense.

...where are your parents?

They have posters for this sort of thing, you know.

Oh, right, we were doing something.

Later, later...

But the powerful wind from Mt. Gale broke the road-making machine. Norma’s stuck there until the winds die down.

I kinda like to think she’s tapping Shrug’s shoulder because he’s zoning out.

Hmm, I suppose that’s a pretty reasonable assumption to make. Let’s take a quick rest before we go because we’re in a bit of a state healthwise.

And actually, the last battlefields have opened up. This one gives 2808 EXP.

They have a unique background as well so we’ll be coming back later on too. As for now though, we’ve got a new enemy in the Water Hag. They’ve picked up Whirlwater as a way of dealing paltry damage to both Kaeli and Shrug. They still have counter and are weak to Fire, but they’re really pretty simple to kill despite that. They can also cure themselves which is annoying but it’s easy to deal with.

And this one gives 2700 EXP. Battlefields really go out with a whimper.

On the way to Mt. Gale is this temple, but I don’t think there’s anything worthwhile here other than some easy Heal Potions.

Alright, enough faffing about. Mt. Gale is honestly pretty brief. There are shockingly few enemies, especially compared to the Giant Tree. It’s more or less based around finding your way around some rock that just happens to be precisely in your way and totally impassable.

Vampires are upgraded Fangpires—actually, every enemy we’re going to see from here on is a palette-swap if I remember right.

They’re hardly threatening. I think their strongest attack deals about 200 damage and that’s laughable. They’re really weak to wind, like several other enemies in this section of the game. Yeah, I know, you’re probably really surprised by that.

This bridge is a ‘shortcut’ of sorts, if you took the staircase up when you first arrive here—or you can be dumb like me and go in a circle :downs:

Here’s where we want to be.

The strangely shaped boss is beyond these inarguably insurmountable rocks.

So we basically have to go the long way around, and that’s more or less a straight shot. The bottom and middle path at this bridge will lead you to the boss. The top path…

leads you to this little treat.

Unfortunately it’s pretty disappointing. It provides a little more defense, but we’re not going to see many enemies throwing around fire attacks nowadays. Like, only three are coming to mind.

I love how rude this guy is and how he points out that coming here was just a huge waste of time and effort.

This can be a pretty rough fight. Dullahan doesn’t have a hugely exploitable wind weakness like Gidrah did and he hits both hard and often. In fact, he has no weaknesses! He’s actually resistant to Fire, but why are you still using Fire?

White and Meteor will put the hurt on him though. Shrug was hitting for almost 2000 damage with Meteor so just throw those out if you have them. Kaeli’s better off using Aero than attacking.

Dullahan’s moves are nothing to sneeze at. Headdoomerang, which is possibly the best name for a move ever, hits both party members for 340. Rapier was doing 465 per hit. Thunder Beam was even more dangerous at 500. Kaeli can heal both members for at least 900 HP though so I guess it’s not very threatening at all! He does have Doom Dance, which is basically an assured one-hit kill since it’s a more accurate Doom Powder.

This fight went incredibly well for me. Doom Dance might have sunk me if he decided to use it like crazy but he mostly just stuck with Rapier and Headdoomerang. This is seriously it for Mt. Gale and nothing happens after the boss is dead. Definitely very short compared to the Giant Tree!

Back in Windia, the gusts have stopped with Dullahan’s death. I’m not sure why because he had nothing to do with anything? In the meantime, this idiot kid climbed on the roof—but I guess he must have a Dragon Claw too if he can get over there so the kid’s alright by me.

Gonna grab a couple of seeds in preparation then head back

to Otto’s, where he’s literally going to make a road out of a rainbow.

He heads downstairs and a few seconds later

Otto, we’re going to save Norma and the Crystal!

Wait! In the Tower, you’ll see switches on even numbered floors. Flick the switches with your Axe. Then the elevator won’t go past that floor!

What? That’s the dumbest elevator ever. Who would design that? Pazuzu? Pazuzu’s an idiot.

Please bring my daughter back!

No, seriously, it’s Rainbow Road.

Ride a giant tree: check
Walk across a rainbow: check

Next time: Save Crystal of Wind: to do

I don't know why, but Windia has always been my favorite town. At least, it will be after clearing out the last of the Vile 4's dungeon. Maybe it's because it's the only town with Dragon Claw posts, I dunno.

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 25, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

The point is they got it wrong.

If they did, I don't think it's in the way you described it.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 25, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Windia also has a Chocobo on one of the building roofs for some reason. And you can examine it. It doesn't do anything except say "Hey! This game is totally a Final Fantasy game!" but hey.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Once everything is up and going, Windia is also my favorite town. It's just too bad for them they hit the whole loving checklist of disasters.

Hurricane speed winds? Check.
Earth rot? Check.
Drought? Check.

With that list, I'm honestly just going to assume the earthquakes were hitting them as well and we just don't get a chance to see it before the end of Fireburg.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Mount Gale is strangely placed. It's small, and doesn't have any justifiable reason for existing in the story. I guess they only put it in so the final area would have three dungeons. I think it would have made more sense to expand the Alive Forest so it and the giant tree would be considered two separate dungeon areas.

cardinal direction posted:

Next time: Save Crystal of Earth: to do

Don't you mean wind?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Bifrost is a really old legend, it's nice to see it used here.

My favorite town is actually Aquaria, I just like the Venice-like canals.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

TheFattestPat posted:

Don't you mean wind?

:doh: I sure did! Thanks for pointing that out, fixed now. I always associate this area with earth more than wind for some reason.

sesame_samuel_
Dec 24, 2012

Pork Pro
I know what I'm changing my username to if I ever decide to.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Lizard Wizard posted:

If they did, I don't think it's in the way you described it.

Care for a counter-argument? Why would they name scorpion enemies the English transliteration of sniper?

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
14. Shrug and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Elevator

Well, it’s time to take on the last of the Vile 4. Pazuzu’s Tower can be pretty rough. There are a lot of encounters with new enemies, some of which can really ruin your day, and the place is loving huge. This dungeon can easily take you like an hour and that’s actually pretty long for Mystic Quest.

That’s if you play it straight, however, because you can make this a lot shorter on you.

At least we don’t have to fight through the entire tower that’s rife with dangerous monsters to save a child who just bumbled their way behind the final boss, as per usual.

Your dad is waiting for you.

And then she just leaves.

Garudas are marginally more of a pain than usual because we don’t have a shooting weapon to easily exploit their weakness. We have Aero, which will wreck their poo poo, but unless you brought a few seeds along, I’d say you’re better off saving those casts for later.

I mean, I’m basically going to cast Exit on nearly every enemy I see from here on in order to keep Shrug’s level low so do as I say and not as I do, in other words.

Beholders, like Gathers, reflect magic and won’t be killed in one hit by your bombs. Selfdestruct still hurts and they’ve picked up Doom Gaze. They’re also impervious to Exit which makes them really irritating for my purposes.

I just realized that I’ve neglected to show off the Dragon Claw this whole time. Sorry!! It’s a not-as-cool-as-blue shade of red and the biggest disappointment ever for me as a kid.

It’s too good to be true.

Because he runs away. The gimmick here is that Pazuzu will flee up the tower and we ascend two floors at a time. Then we come all the way back down on the even floors and hit those switches that Otto mentioned to box Pazuzu in for a fight.

So gently caress that, we’re going to reload and just not talk to him. You’ll see why in a bit.

I hope you like mandatory encounters because there’s a bunch of them here. These are the staircases you traverse when chasing Pazuzu. Like the Giant Tree, they typically have a certain type of enemy to mow down as you go. Garudas aren’t a pain to deal with unless a Beholder shows up with them.

Pazuzu, unfortunately, won’t just stay on the first floor. Talking to him here will result in him randomly going between floors 1 and 6, except for 3. If you want the absolutely quickest run through the dungeon, you’ll luck out and Pazuzu will appear on the 6th floor and can be easily trapped and fought.

If he ends up on floor 2, then, oh well.

Manticores are really irritating to deal with. They have the whole annoying status effect trifecta with confusion, paralysis, and petrification. They’ve picked up Fireball and can deal some respectable damage with that (a critical hit did 830 damage to Kaeli). They’re weak to Blizzard now, however.

Chimeras aren’t very dangerous but they are kind of a pain in the rear end. They have a poison-touch counter but other than that they’re basically weaker Gidrah right down to the wind weakness.

The first staircase you run into on the third floor has a bunch of Beholders :sigh: and that means I have to keep getting different encounters by running away so I can minimize the EXP gain. It’s pretty much assured that Shrug will hit level 25 here at some point though. C’est la vie, I guess!

We’ll start seeing these guys starting at the 5th floor. They’re just weaker Dullahans, but don’t underestimate Doom Dance. They’re also susceptible to petrification so go nuts with the Dragon Claw.

Like most other enemies in Pazuzu’s Tower, Sorcerers are annoying and can’t be killed in one hit unless you use magic. Their Quake can hit hard and they love curing each other. On the bright side, the Dragon Claw will work on them.

Well, drat it. We definitely could have gotten a much worse result (like floor 2, ugh) but now we have to go to floor 4 and 6. If you talk to Pazuzu a second time, he’ll just taunt you with a “you can’t catch me!” and probably a little “neener-neener-neener” as the elevator goes up.

The floor 5-7 staircase has Manticore and that’s way better than Beholders in my book since I don’t have to get the EXP. Kaeli is fortunately resistant to petrification so I don’t have to put up with that back-to-back petrification garbage.

I consistently got three Manticore at a time and that was a pain considering the way I’m fighting through this dungeon.

Once we hit floor 7, there’s a new battle background. I ran out of exit charges and, probably because I’m an idiot, didn’t feel like using a seed so these guys died the old-fashioned way.

I don’t know why, but these moving clouds always give me a Final Fantasy 4 vibe. The whole top of the tower, actually. Not sure why!

Since we can start going back down the tower from floor 7, we can reach the even floors. We’ll be right back for that chest.

Naga are hardly a threat. They can put you to sleep and I guess their Thunder does okay damage?

Here’s the switch.

Hitting it just puts a floor there and that’s a pretty good way to stop an elevator, I suppose.

Flare is the last spell Shrug can get. It’s fittingly very powerful but it’s really held back by being fire-based damage.

Kaeli, however, is not impressed by a White recolor.

Another chest and so soon? In retrospect, it was a good thing that Pazuzu ended up on floor 5 because now we can snag all of the important stuff.

Gargoyles are red Avizzards and really boring. Other than being susceptible to... petrification? :psyduck:

Excalibur is both the most powerful weapon in the game and the most unfortunate all at once. There’s no “sword” weakness in the game so it’s honestly not as great as the Dragon Claw, which can kill some enemies in one hit, or the Giant’s Axe hitting a weakness. It doesn’t even change the sprite of the sword in battle. It’s beneficial for Shrug to get the speed boost and that’s pretty much it for the sword line. Looks cool, though!

That’s all for the weapons!

Now to hit the floor 4 switch and return to floor 5.

Looking pretty dorky there, Pazuzu.

Pazuzu isn’t that hard of a fight. I’d say Dualhead Hydra is harder mainly because you can hit Pazuzu hard with Flare and Aero. If I were at a normal level for this fight then I’d say it was a breeze.

Don’t get me wrong, his physicals can hit hard. This was a critical hit, but still.

As was this, but holy hell does he hit hard. That’s the real concern here. Pazuzu can petrify and that’s about it for status effects. This is a race to see who can kill the other quicker.

This is Pazuzu’s special move. For a few turns, he’ll reflect any spells back at you. He can do this at any time and still attack afterwards. It’s not all bad because the game warns you when it’s going up and when he takes it down. It can be terrible if you forget he has it up since there’s no visual indication of it until after you cast at him.

Pazuzu gets kinda sassy when you hurt him enough. He has a lot of HP though so it can be tough to wear him down before he kills you. Nearly every one of his attacks will kill Shrug in two hits.

Pazuzu’s also a little strange in that he only has three sprites to indicate his health. His fourth is ‘hidden’ as a part of his Psychshield.

And where the other bosses got angry or desperate with low health, Pazuzu just looks like he’s throwing a tantrum.

After killing Pazuzu, we take the elevator and proceed to just ignore the blockades we went through such pains to put up.

But killing him gave Shrug a level up so he gets the last laugh after all. That’s what I get for having ideas so late in the game!

In any case, that was the last crystal so let’s get out of here.

I sort of doubt this.

Next time: Wait, what are you doing here?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Same as with Windia itself, Pazuzu's Tower is easily my favorite of the Vile 4 dungeons. I mentioned liking the chillness of the Aquaria songs, but the Mt. Gale/Tower song is where the soundtrack really starts to make you feel like you're actually really about to pull off this hero of legend stuff after all. The monsters are sort of a slog, but the size of the tower and the fact you're actually having to actively figure out what you have to do in order to chase Pazuzu up and down the tower makes for a uniquely complex adjustment to the otherwise standard dungeon formula, and while the swords are generally the basic "eh" weapon, I still always used them enough that Excalibur gets some mileage from me, same with Flare. All in all, there are far worse dungeons in Final Fantasy and in this game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Something that didn't get mentioned in the update is that there are a couple monsters in here that have access to the cure spell, which means that if you're not capable of taking them out in one hit, you have to hope really hard that you get to go before them, or you basically lose a round. That's mostly a non-issue if you're using the dragon claw to petrify everything, but if you're not, the tediousness of the tower goes way up.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Also, I just want to go ahead and say darn you CD, reading back through this thread because I was bored has made me go bust out my copy and start playing a new file. I named him Shrug in the thread's honor, since after reading this I can't think of him as Benjamin anymore.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I had no idea there was any gimmick to Pazuzu's Tower. I always just kinda played until I fought him. I think I always fought him on the same floor so I just assumed that was the normal end point

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I remember when I was a kid I really wanted to fight Pazuzu on the 7th floor. Then later I learned that's not possible :sigh:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I didn't own this game as a kid, but I did get to dabble with an in-progress save file. I've got a question about Exit magic.

Exit could get reflected back at you by eye monsters (perhaps the beholders?) and when that happened, I felt like you got teleported somewhere. Did you simply pop out at the battlefield you were at, or did it actually put you somewhere unique on the map?

I'd guess you just left the battle, but for some reason I have this feeling it sent me to an island I couldn't get off of. I think this was in the NE corner of the map, but not positive.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I just tried it out, and the spell had no effect. There may be some glitch that causes you to end up in a strange place, but it's not 100%.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Derek Barona posted:

Also, I just want to go ahead and say darn you CD, reading back through this thread because I was bored has made me go bust out my copy and start playing a new file. I named him Shrug in the thread's honor, since after reading this I can't think of him as Benjamin anymore.

I'm really just glad that someone has enjoyed this thread enough to do that, to be honest!

JerikTelorian posted:

I didn't own this game as a kid, but I did get to dabble with an in-progress save file. I've got a question about Exit magic.

Exit could get reflected back at you by eye monsters (perhaps the beholders?) and when that happened, I felt like you got teleported somewhere. Did you simply pop out at the battlefield you were at, or did it actually put you somewhere unique on the map?

I'd guess you just left the battle, but for some reason I have this feeling it sent me to an island I couldn't get off of. I think this was in the NE corner of the map, but not positive.

I've never heard of this before. Casting Exit on the Beholders, and presumably Oozes, Gathers, or anything else with Reflect, just causes a message box that says "no effect" to pop up because the developers probably didn't anticipate a character being Exited from battle. If anyone else has had a similar experience to this, I'd be interested in hearing more! I've never heard of a glitch that changes your position on the world map and I can't find anything that does something like that.

In any case, I'm gonna go ahead and post the update a little early, hope that's cool with everyone.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
15. The Worst Kind of Phoenix

Wow, very smooth. A master of persuasion if I’ve ever seen one.

Hmm, must have died in the fight with Pazuzu and now Shrug’s in hell?

Yeah! And guess what I found when I fell?

Another bridge to fall off of? I hope?

A stairway to the top of the Focus Tower!

I guess you could fall from that...

Stairway?!

Oh, wait, he might seriously be confused by the idea of a stairway.

How?

Go to Spencer’s tunnel. Set a bomb there, and the water from the Upper Lake will spill into the dry lake!

But Spencer’s tunnel has caved in.

There is one way... if you power the Rainbow Road Machine with Thunder Rock, you can reach Spencer’s Place!

Dad will know about this!

Shrug, you fool! No!

Reuben and I know the Focus Tower well, so we’ll be back from Fireburg in no time.

what are you saying you stupid fucker

Of course.

:smith:

This is pretty much the biggest step back imaginable. He’s weaker than Kaeli in literally every single way besides HP and even then he’s only ahead by 40 HP. Shrug, of all people, hits harder than him. Sure, he picked up White, but that’s not enough.

Just... let’s just go to Fireburg. Maybe Reuben will get hit by a boulder or something.

Speaking of boulders, have you been in bed this whole time?

Of course! Wait a second.

Were you just sleeping with this thing or...?

We’re accomplishing things!?

Okay, knock ‘em out!

Yeah. Like father, like son.

Hooray!?

Ha ha ha gently caress you Reuben

Sounds great! I’ll let you handle that. I’ll, uh... supervise.

...yeah!

Let’s tell Kaeli.

But before we go get Captain Mac, there’s something grab way in the back here.

Unlike the Gemini Crest, we need this to finish the game.

You’re telling me that this all came from Aquaria??

And that this is a lake???

Before we head back to Otto, I remembered that TooMuchAbstraction in the thread mentioned there’s a Chocobo hidden in Windia. This is all it does though, so I think it’s here just in case you forgot this is a Final Fantasy game!!

But the ship’s full of monsters. Let us go first.

How do you know this? Also she’s stronger than both of you, you douchebag.

Give this Captain Cap to Dad when you find him. Then he’ll know I’m coming.

Your family is weird, Kaeli.

Windia is really pretty when the lake is restored :)

The teleporter to reach the ship dock is in the seed vendor’s house. ...I don’t know why?

Okay, this is really more of a dinghy.

Next time: The elusive Captain Mac and timely, revolutionary internet memes

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So yeah, this is the one time that you should probably use the resistance glitch. Reuben is basically unchanged from the last time we saw him (aside from picking up White which he is loving awful at using), and his resistance are so bad for this part of the game. Kaeli's are much better for the upcoming dungeon and I've never really checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if her stat spread was better too.

E: A couple other notes from the last update or two - For starters, Excalibur is goddamn useless. There are no sword weaknesses, and even at max level, Excalibur won't be strong enough to OHKO the enemies in the final dungeon. The Dragon Claw is still the best weapon in the game, but the Giant's Axe is the best for raw damage since it can actually hit weaknesses.

As for our new spells, Flare is flat-out the strongest spell in the entire game with 300 power, but it comes in with an unfortunate fire element and basically everything in the endgame resists fire. Meteor is a bit weaker at 255 power, but it has the less common earth element. Among other enemies, the final boss resists both so you're still going to end up using White on everything.

Finally, you say Pazuzu is throwing a tantrum in his final sprite? I think it's pretty clear that he's complementing his Piledriver attack with an elbow drop. :colbert:

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 31, 2014

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Artix posted:

So yeah, this is the one time that you should probably use the resistance glitch. Reuben is basically unchanged from the last time we saw him (aside from picking up White which he is loving awful at using), and his resistance are so bad for this part of the game. Kaeli's are much better for the upcoming dungeon and I've never really checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if her stat spread was better too.

Reuben is just straight up worse in every single way. I totally spaced out on him having horrible resistances for this next section but at least it's ridiculously short?

Just for reference, Reuben is barely better than Shrug is with magic when the Dragon Claw is equipped and I don't need to remind anyone how underleveled Shrug is in comparison. Reuben is really bad, you guys!!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I think his 2nd appearance is why many people think Reuben is the worst party member. The first time you have him he hits like a truck and can one shot almost any enemy you meet. Also, he resists the move prevalent elemental attack enemies will throw at you so he's reasonably The 2nd time? He's lucky to make it through a couple fights without dropping and can hasn't gained any real ground in damage.

Can we just get Kaeli back? Also, what the hell is Phoebe doing right now? Blowing up more of her grandfather's place?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I think his 2nd appearance is why many people think Reuben is the worst party member. The first time you have him he hits like a truck and can one shot almost any enemy you meet. Also, he resists the move prevalent elemental attack enemies will throw at you so he's reasonably The 2nd time? He's lucky to make it through a couple fights without dropping and can hasn't gained any real ground in damage.

Can we just get Kaeli back? Also, what the hell is Phoebe doing right now? Blowing up more of her grandfather's place?

Moping around and posting in her LiveJournal about how no one invited HER to the party in Windia and she can't figure out why because she's so pretty and vivacious and if they'd only GIVE HER A CHANCE they'd see it!

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The game needed to at least update Reuben's weapon. If he's meant to hit like a truck, he can't carry what at this point is a sharpened toothpick. Giving him a higher attack would probably still not make him as useful as Kaeli, but at least he would have something he's good at.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Considering that the game seems set on having all characters join at least once more, we should be really happy Phoebe doesn't join now. If she did, that would mean Reuben has to join later, possible when we a tackling the final dungeon.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I remember Phoebe feeling kind of underwhelming upon her rejoining too. Not as much as Reuben but generally by that point Shrug has far surpassed her.

I fact, I think Kaeli is the only party member who isn't disappointing upon her return, but maybe I'm just not remembering correctly.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I remember Phoebe feeling kind of underwhelming upon her rejoining too. Not as much as Reuben but generally by that point Shrug has far surpassed her.

I fact, I think Kaeli is the only party member who isn't disappointing upon her return, but maybe I'm just not remembering correctly.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Speaking of things that might've been hallucinated as a child, I remember one time when starting a new game instead of getting the old cloud guy, I got a younger blond kid on a cloud claiming to to be the old guy's nephew or something. I've never found anything on the net confirming I didn't just imagine things and sometimes I wish I knew how to extract sprites and poo poo to see if he shows up somewhere just to be sure one way or another. It was the German PAL version if that matters.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Like I said, favorite town once everything's fixed.

cardinal direction posted:

I'm really just glad that someone has enjoyed this thread enough to do that, to be honest!

I'm in the Ice Pyramid now. I'm not. :( All seriousness, this game's easy to just sit and blaze through, and I'm generally taking the time to kill stuff whenever I can. I think my save file so far has like, an hour and a half on the playclock right now.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
16. Shrug’s Creed 4

Mac’s Ship is hardly a dungeon, to be honest. You can probably be done with this place in a couple of minutes. If you’re playing the game normally then it’s worth it to take out all of the enemies here for some EXP because there’s a lot to be had around here and you won’t be returning to this place once you’ve finished it.

But EXP is so far down on my list of priorities that I’m not going to bother. I’m not really sure why it has the Bone Dungeon music but hey.

Heading down this way will take you where you need to go. This is seriously a short interlude compared to Pazuzu’s Tower.

It does have a neat background for battles though.

Shrug doesn’t need the claw to climb this but it seems like he would. I dunno.

Climbing the rope makes sense though. That’s a pretty enormous rope!

Here’s the background for fighting inside. Not as pretty, if you ask me, but still.

This is actually a pretty devious little trick. Does the floor underneath the Gargoyle look a little odd?

That’s because there’s a hole you can fall down. Not only that, but this route is a dead end.

I was a little curious to see what would happen with the overflow glitch, so since this was a convenient place to check I grabbed some Refreshers at the end of that path and it basically got rid of all my items.

So, uh, “just buy seeds if you want them” is the moral of the story. It’s not like there’s anything left in the game worth spending money on. I’m still not keeping the seeds, so don’t worry about that if you were.

And that was it for Mac’s Ship. There’s nothing of value in the other parts of the ship. Of course, the treasure comes first.

I sort of have the feeling this is the armor Spencer and Tristam were going on about. With Shrug resisting sleep and wind, that’s pretty much everything except for petrification. That’ll change soon.

Like Heal, you could miss this but you’d have to do that on purpose otherwise you might want to get your vision checked.

e: I was wrong and you can actually still get this chest after clearing the ship. The monsters won't be there anymore. I'm good at this.

And finally, the man of the hour himself.

I guess your daughter appearing out of nowhere would be pretty surprising.

I’m okay... but I have some bad news. The Dark King... the Prophecy...

Kaeli’s got her head on straight though. The Prophecy is stupid anyway.

But...

Kaeli slings her father over shoulder and leaves.

What’s the matter now?

Reuben! Let’s go to Windia and put you to bed!

The game teleports you out so that’s nice.

What are you two doing here?

Spencer! Phoebe’s looking for you!

I met her at the inn in Windia, and now she wants to see you.

Okay, now we’ll never see them again.

Why should she care? She doesn’t even know him?

Oh man, talk about melodramatic. I just saw you beat up a headless horseman.

I’m surprised you made it here with such a bad wound! Off to bed with you!

And that’s it for Reuben. What a swan song.

I’m okay with this :unsmith:

Since a lot of the offense in the endgame is based around magic, Phoebe is as great as before despite that garish shade of yellow. The Bow of Grace has definitely lost its luster but there’s a pretty cool glitch that is exclusive to Phoebe. When she’s on automatic control, she’ll start casting Aero once she runs out of Wizard charges. Since that’s the strongest Black spell, Phoebe will make some great use of it with her high magic. Other than that, she’s a little bit of a glass cannon but she’s a fitting last party member.

She’s picked up a lot of new resistances, most notably paralysis and sleep. She’s also resistant to Drain attacks but that’s sort of pointless because those are terrible and hardly ever effective.

The deal with Drain attacks, to my knowledge, is that they have to exceed a certain threshold before they’ll drain health from you. So if an enemy uses a drain attack and they happen to get a critical hit, then you might see them drain less health than the damage they first did. Like, for example, if an enemy deals 400 damage then they’ll only drain 150 HP. Phoebe’s drain resistance means these attacks fail and she’ll absorb health from the enemy instead.

I haven’t done this because the differences tend to be pretty negligible, but look at how awful Phoebe is with Reuben’s resistances. Considerably worse defense, noticeably slower, less evasive... Reuben is so bad he inadvertently infects other party members.

I’ve discovered a lost part of the Prophecy.

“Okay, but I asked what was important?”

“The one behind the 4 is darker than the night, an rises midst the land.” You’ve saved the Crystals, but our real enemy is the Dark King. He’s in the Focus Tower. Reach the Tower with my ship. Stand by the steering wheel and press the A button.

the Prophecy in full posted:

“the Vile 4 will steal the Power and divide the World behind 4 doors. At that time the Knight will appear. The one behind the 4 is darker than the night, and rises midst the land.”

There has to be other lines to this prophecy because that’s pretty terrible, to be honest.

I don't think it's totally 100% the Dark King's fault that you beached your ship.

Gonna beat this nerd up for a bit

and then onwards to destiny or something.

Next time: So this place has just been here for how long?

We'll probably be wrapping things up this coming week. That being the case, is there anything I've missed (which is probably pretty likely given my track record thus far :sigh:) that should be shown/you want to see/etc.? Figure it would be best to knock that stuff out before moving on to the endgame.

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
...And there's the reason I don't mind seeing Reuben again. You have him for one tiny dungeon (much like the 1st time you have Kaeli and the 2nd time you have Tristam) and his weaknesses aren't that apparent. It even makes sense that he's weak because he's injured but I doubt the designers really put that effort into the game.

The game is pretty good about each party member getting a long stay for a crystal run and a couple small dungeons along with a short stay for one dungeon. The small problem with this is Tristam doesn't get as long of a stay, but he's Tristam so who cares.

Glad to see Phoebe is out of whatever funk she was under for... the entire game? With a maxed magic stat her White spells are going to hit *hard*.

• Locked thread