Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always thought Tristam was from Windia. It's the only town that doesn't have a playable character.

Hmmmm...have you shown off the inter-town teleporting? Not too handy at this point but it's a nice thing to throw in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Tristam and Spencer going off on a hunt for legendary armor is wrapped up really weirdly. The armor's in the bridge on Captain Mac's ship. What were they going to do, steal it from him? Doubly bizarre since all of these people seem to know each other (mind, the non-generic NPC count in this game is, like, six), so wouldn't they have known that Mac had the armor in the first place?

I'm clearly thinking about this too hard.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always thought Tristam was from Windia. It's the only town that doesn't have a playable character.

Hmmmm...have you shown off the inter-town teleporting? Not too handy at this point but it's a nice thing to throw in.

Ditto to both. When you think about it, each town has a "head family" so to speak of whom the parents do their part to assist the Knight of Legend and the children grab some gear and head into battle with him directly when they can. Windia's the odd one out, but it wouldn't surprise me if the dev team had originally considered it with Tristram. I don't think he and Otto ever show up onscreen together during the game, so it could be possible and it just never comes up. Sadly, I seriously doubt they thought it out that far, but it would've been nice.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Haha, the first time I played this game I wondered around that ship forever. Nothing like being stuck in a monster infested maze with Reuben.

I wonder if at some point they were going to let you swap out between the four party members. I just kind of noticed that this is the one time all four of them are in the same place (well until Tristam leaves).

So are we to believe that no one was suspicious of a guy named "The Dark King" until he was mentioned in this amazing prophecy? And where's that floating old man, we haven't seen him in quite a while.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

TheFattestPat posted:

Haha, the first time I played this game I wondered around that ship forever. Nothing like being stuck in a monster infested maze with Reuben.

I wonder if at some point they were going to let you swap out between the four party members. I just kind of noticed that this is the one time all four of them are in the same place (well until Tristam leaves).

So are we to believe that no one was suspicious of a guy named "The Dark King" until he was mentioned in this amazing prophecy? And where's that floating old man, we haven't seen him in quite a while.

Oh! That does remind me. He is hidden somewhere but he only has one line and there's nothing really there other than him. Doesn't really do anything but it's flavor text.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...I distinctly remember there being a boss on that ship. Where is it?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You remember wrong, chief. Nothing on that ship except Mac and some armor.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Interlude: Odds and Ends

In an alternate universe, Shrug is taking his time before fulfilling his destiny and going on a quick tour of the World.

We’re going to be hopping around a whole lot today but it shouldn’t be too hard to remember where we’re at considering we’ve seen everything for the most part.

Inside this house is something a little interesting. We’re all familiar with these warp squares...

but this one takes us here. Where is here?

Why, it’s the Mega Grenade guy’s house in Fireburg! There are several of these “fast transport” teleporters scattered throughout the world. Their usefulness is questionable. This one especially because we needed the Mobius Crest to get here and by the time we get that we literally have no reason to ever return to Fireburg.

There tend to be at least one per town other than Foresta which doesn’t have any, to my knowledge. This is the Battle Axe lady’s house.

It’s sort of appropriate that we need the Gemini Crest here...

because it sweeps us away to the Steel Helm lady’s house in Aquaria. There is absolutely no reason to ever return to Aquaria once you’ve restored the Crystal of Water.

I don’t think I’ve ever gone back to talk to the NPCs here after saving them. This girl raises an interesting point that’s kinda sorta tangentially related to something TooMuchAbstraction brought up in the thread:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Tristam and Spencer going off on a hunt for legendary armor is wrapped up really weirdly. The armor's in the bridge on Captain Mac's ship. What were they going to do, steal it from him? Doubly bizarre since all of these people seem to know each other (mind, the non-generic NPC count in this game is, like, six), so wouldn't they have known that Mac had the armor in the first place?

I guess maybe Captain Mac discovered the armor and was going to bring it back to Spencer? But because Mac was stuck on a cliff for who knows how long, Spencer didn’t know and pretty much just assumed his friend was dead?

I know it’s dumb to be :smug: and poo poo when pointing out inconsistencies within the game but this isn’t going to make a lot of sense once we actually reach the top of the Focus Tower.

Near Fireburg, the Sealed Temple will teleport you to...

This section of the Wintry Temple. If you want to stock up on Cure/Heal Potions fast, this is the place to do it.

The first suspicious tree in Alive Forest needs the Mobius Crest.

All of the teleporters here lead you to an area reminiscent of Foresta. There are only Cure and Heal Potions here, which begs the question: why do I need the last crest in the game to access this?

If you try to find the Giant Tree where you first do, you’ll see that he’s no longer there. I mean, obviously, but hey.

This warp square in the Kaidge Temple is sort of unique, I guess?

It’s the only way to reach the Light Temple.

Hey, look who it is! Full disclosure here: I’m not sure if I just didn’t remember this or never knew it existed.

You’ve shown great courage in saving the Crystals.

And then he flies away. Shrug doesn’t even react.

I suppose you’re intended to find out about this after you save Mac and hear about the Dark King but there’s literally no point to going to any of the temples. At this point in the game, you’ll have probably realized that there’s nothing good in them.

This as good a time as any to share the European artwork of the old man. I’ve never actually referred to him as White during the playthrough but there you go. He, uh, looks pretty weird if you ask me.

Here’s where the Light Temple is on the world map. I can’t help but feel that the temples were meant to serve a much more important purpose because they don’t really do anything as is.

Here’s the Rainbow Road Machine. I don’t know how it works other than :science:

Here’s another curious thing, at least for me: does everyone just know who Captain Mac is? It’s weird little things like this that make me think Mystic Quest was originally going to have more to it but then it got dumbed down.

The chance of that being true is so miniscule it’s practically nonexistent but still. And actually, TheFattestPat also had a similar idea:

TheFattestPat posted:

I dunno!! On one hand, the game doesn’t seem balanced for that at all. On the other, there’s nothing to say that didn’t just change at some point and the game was balanced around it which would explain why the game is a little too easy in spots. There is like a 99.9% chance I’m just talking out of my rear end though.

By the by, you can’t enter the Rope Bridge again after Reuben falls off of it. Not like there was anything there but maybe I wanted to see it with all of the water, game!

You’ll get this dialogue if you try to purchase anything past the “max” amount and the way the vendor says it makes it seem like Shrug might have a problem. In any case, alternate universe Shrug still has to do the whole world saving thing as well so let’s get on that.

Uh...? I don’t recall these guys.

Oh, they’re merchants. The other one sells seeds. They really make it impossible to lose, don’t they? You could just go back to Windia for both of these and it’s neither a far walk nor do you have to deal with any enemies.

But this Shrug has a revelation—maybe he shouldn’t go take on the Dark King willy nilly at level 25. So he decides to go crack a few skulls before saving the world. Here’s one of the battlefields near Windia with its second background.

While leveling, I had a pretty obvious revelation. The little tornado symbol from the Gaia Armor means that Shrug has a resistance to both thunder attacks and wind attacks. ...so I guess that’s like storm resistance or something?

Anyway, after hours of training, Shrug rams into the level cap like a brick wall. I’m not completely sure why the level cap is 41 of all numbers but there it is. Remember the double level glitch that I made use of way back in the day? You can’t use that to bypass the level cap.

Fun fact: the Excalibur still can’t oneshot some of the enemies in Pazuzu’s Tower.

Last but not least, this is the Heal spell when used on an enemy. Sorry I neglected this since the Ice Pyramid. This isn’t a very good spell because it only inflicts one status whereas the Dragon Claw lays down pretty much every single one.

Next time: okay, no more messing around, let’s really go save the world

I think that's more or less the entire game but let me know if I'm wrong! I'll edit it into this post.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

cardinal direction posted:

And that was it for Mac’s Ship. There’s nothing of value in the other parts of the ship. Of course, the treasure comes first.

I sort of have the feeling this is the armor Spencer and Tristam were going on about. With Shrug resisting sleep and wind, that’s pretty much everything except for petrification. That’ll change soon.

Like Heal, you could miss this but you’d have to do that on purpose otherwise you might want to get your vision checked.

I'm pretty sure that you can go back for this chest, because as you show here:

Uh...? I don’t recall these guys.

Oh, they’re merchants. The other one sells seeds. They really make it impossible to lose, don’t they? You could just go back to Windia for both of these and it’s neither a far walk nor do you have to deal with any enemies.

You can still gently caress around inside the ship.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Vil posted:

You can still gently caress around inside the ship.

I was going to correct that last night but completely forgot, as per usual. Thanks for reminding me!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Where did Shrug get that third shield from? I don't remember him getting it in any earlier updates. :iiam:

(I know perfectly well where it came from)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I was going to correct that last night but completely forgot, as per usual. Thanks for reminding me!

No problem.

I think Heal is the only True Missable in the game. Falls Basin and Rope Bridge are the only areas that get permanently cut off, that I can recall, and Rope Bridge only has wooden chests.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
17. The Doom Castle

The final dungeon is seriously called Doom Castle and that’s just the best. It’s been a fun ride but it’s got to end sometime and I think that this place encapsulates everything that’s wonderful about Mystic Quest in a neat little package: great music, hookshotting everywhere, jumping, and it’s totally busted in your favor (because of hilarious glitches/oversights).

The floor moves much as it did way back in the Bone Dungeon and slowly pulls you to the bottom.

We’ve still got a few new enemies to take care of though. Shadows have picked up Doom Dance and can self-destruct. Sometimes they just won’t do anything :iiam:

They’re weak to thunder, wind, and blizzard and can be petrified.

The trick here is to position yourself in a way that you’ll fall onto these bones. By the way, is this place starting to look familiar?

Hmm, I’ve seen you before.

You might remember that this is where we picked up Aero. The chest was originally behind that Minotaur Zombie there but it’s disappeared? In any case, now we can grab that other chest.

And with that, we’re safe from virtually everything short of instant death like Doom Dance. It’s a shame it comes so late but I guess being immune to petrification earlier would have really reduced the challenge in some areas.

You might have noticed us having this when we tied up some loose ends. This is because I’m an idiot. Moving on!

Hey, hi, excuse me, uh... any chance I could ask you to move out of the way?

No? Well, fine. I hope you’re ready for some boss refights because there’s a lot of them!

Skullrus Rex is nothing. I mean, if you fought him legitimately, then he might be tough. But...

He can be killed instantly. And this is in a variety of ways because Skullrus Rex has no resistances whatsoever. So yeah, you could use Life, or Heal, or the Dragon Claw and get great results. Heal’s a little too random for my tastes but it’s there.

And that’s the last coin door.

We can’t just circumvent the fights, as you probably assumed. Before each boss is a little slice of their dungeon’s gimmick and aesthetic. The barriers disappear after we kill the boss so let’s move on.

The Ice Pyramid area is a lot of positioning yourself to use the Dragon Claw. That and the statue switches. It’s not very big and the monsters in here are a weird mish-mash of Pazuzu’s Tower and, like, Phanquids and Freezer Crabs.

Whatever you do, you’ll eventually end up here. It’s not a very complex path. The switch will open the door to the boss so be sure to poke it.

You’ve stymied me yet again, Ice Pyramid!!

You’ll also want to get this one, preferably when you first enter this room, otherwise you won’t be able to even reach the boss door.

I guess it’s more of a boss closet that he’s been stored away in though.

So the Stone Golem is resistant to fire and earth, meaning that’s Flare and Meteor out the window. It also brought the last new enemy of the game into the fight.

Cerberus is resistant to petrification and counters with petri-touch so they can’t be as easily cheesed as other monsters but Phoebe doesn’t attack directly and Shrug can’t be petrified anymore so :shrug: they’re more of a nuisance than anything. They’re weak to Fire so Phoebe can burn them to a crisp quite easily.

Oh, right, back to the Stone Golem.

The Stone Golem can be killed instantly with Exit. If you chose to fight it legitimately, Corrode Gas can instantly kill someone and Stone Block can hurt.

Just use Exit.

The Lava Dome area is just a jumping maze and it’s not particularly difficult.

I think I remember struggling here as a kid though because I didn’t think to use the Dragon Claw on those stone column post things.

This is a really dumb looking wyvern

Unfortunately, we have to slug it out with Twinhead Wyvern because there are no oversights here. It’s a much easier fight than Twinhead Hydra though, because the wyvern has a lot of weaknesses to exploit and it actually lost some moves—petrification, namely.

If you have Phoebe on auto, she can do some pretty big damage with the Aero glitch.

The Pazuzu Tower floor is probably the most annoying since you can fall down here and end up back in the Lava Dome area. So, uh, pay attention to where you’re going, I guess?

Heading to the right will bring you here, letting you walk on top of the windowed passages.

Never get tired of this message. Never.

I think this Freezer Crab got lost or something. There are some pretty strange encounters in Doom Castle.

Taking that staircase back there will lead you on the path to the boss. Much like Pazuzu’s Tower you’ll be funneled into plenty of fights and it’s kind of awful in its tedium.

Reincarnation didn’t do you any favors, Pazuzu.

Zuh is like Twinhead Wyvern in that there’s no easy exploit to kill him instantly. He’s a bit frailer than Pazuzu, still has a weakness to wind and Phoebe can shoot him and inflict some decent damage during the bits where he throws up a Psychshield.

He’s got Doom Dance and that can be annoying but otherwise this is a pretty similar fight to Pazuzu. You’ll want to take out Thanatos because two enemies throwing out Doom Dances like crazy is horrible.

He’ll occasionally attack with Psychshield but all it seems to do is 1 damage to both party members so I don’t know what’s up with that.

All right, deep breaths! The Doom Castle is pretty short when it gets down to it.

Hmm... this statue looks familiar.

Ah, right.

These chests, which were previously inaccessible, are now available to us because of the Crystals’ power.

They contain x25 of all the consumables and are replenished if you leave and come back. So... pretty easy to just get 99 of everything.

All right, time to go be knights and fulfill destiny.

Next time: Destiny and the Prophecy are dumb as poo poo, also the final boss

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Always loved Doom Castle's BGM. It's half dreadful final area and half gently caress yeah let's do this poo poo and it works so well.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Derek Barona posted:

Always loved Doom Castle's BGM. It's half dreadful final area and half gently caress yeah let's do this poo poo and it works so well.

I had the music of Doom Castle's BGM as part of a mixed tape I used to listen to while I went on hikes as a teenager. Loved that piece.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My guess for the Psychshield attack is that it's a bug in the AI programming. Like, there's the normal Psychshield that lets him reflect attack spells, and then there's this extra entry that's named "Psychshield" but is otherwise totally un-statted and thus defaults to an attack power of 0 (no idea why it attacks both party members though).

This is total supposition though. Also, "Zuh" is a hilariously dumb name.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
18. A Farewell to Shrugs

Yeah, that’s our hero...? Shrug, what happened to your armor? And your pants, for that matter?

Obviously, since I stopped leveling up, the stats haven’t changed at all since we recruited Phoebe. I figure this is a good reference for what we have to work with in this fight. Good enough, I guess. Since his offense is going to revolve around magic, Dragon Claw is a good option and I found that Excalibur let him move second every now and then, which was handy for emergency healing in my case.

I don’t think the Focus Tower was this tall?

Oh, uh, you got a little something on your face. Should probably have wiped that off before your evil speech.

Serve you to do what? Rule the world? Destroy the world? Having some trouble understanding your motivation here, Dark King!

The entire game is about the world getting punk’d by a stupid rumor, you go on with your bad self, Dark King.

The Dark King obviously gets a special background being the final boss and all. I’m not gonna lie, fighting this guy legitimately can be hard. His attacks are varied and deal a lot of damage. He resists every single element and status effect other than fire, so fortunately Flare is still worthwhile here.

Or you can do that.

This is probably the most infamous glitch in Mystic Quest. It’s just an overflow error but damned if it isn’t cool. Curiously enough, this only works with Shrug. If Phoebe were to use Cure, the boss would just have health restored. That might be because she has too much magic so it overflows back into positive healing but don’t quote me on that. It’s a good way to heal Dark King enough to hit him with another ridiculously strong Cure though. That was over half of his health.

edit:

Nitrodon, of tasvideos.org posted:

Cure heals the target for (magic*1.5+50)% of its maximum HP (divided by the number of targets). For instance, if you use Cure with 32 magic, then Cure restores 98% of the target's maximum HP. In the case of the Dark King with full HP, the game adds 39200 to his current HP of 40000, but HP is only a 16-bit integer, so the result overflows to 13664. This is less than the Dark King's maximum HP, so the game accepts it as the Dark King's new HP and displays that he took 26336 damage. In short, the Dark King will take that amount of damage if and only if it won't bring his HP down to less than zero. Curing with Phoebe overflows all the way back to positive healing, but it can be used to set up a second damaging cure by the hero.

Artix posted:

Yeah, to expand on the Cure Glitch and that Nitrodon post a bit, the reason that Phoebe can't do it is because of the way the numbers work out. Basically, HP is stored as a 16-bit integer, which maxes out at 65535. Dark King's max HP is 40000, and Phoebe's cure spell, because of her 99 magic, gives a total of 199% healing. So more or less, Phoebe heals him for 80,000 HP. 80k is enough to go through a complete overflow and leave you with about 15k HP left to be healed, and there is no point at which adding 15k to the Dark King's HP will force an overflow, so no matter how much HP he has left, Phoebe will always actually heal him if she tries the glitch. In fact, if Shrug was capable of getting up to 76 magic (and he can't, for the record), he wouldn't be able to do it either for the same reason. :eng101:

So let’s rewind and do this legitimately. The strategy is throw Flares and White out, cross your fingers, then heal. As low a level as Shrug is, though, it’s substantially easier to just cheese this fight.

What would a final boss be without having several forms? This one makes use of those many weapons: Fire Sword, Ice Sword, Dark Sword and so on. None of these deal elemental damage, unfortunately, so expect at least 600 damage from all of these. He can also heal himself for 1000 damage with Cure Arrow while hurting you for 500 or so.

Your true from is a huge spider? That’s terrible.

This is where the fight gets dangerous. Everything before now was more or less tolerable and manageable but the attacks he picks up now make everything beforehand child’s play.

Golden Web is guaranteed petrification if you have no immunity but you’ll still take damage. Silver Web is confusion and poison plus similar damage. Spider Kids deals around 800 damage to a single party member so it’s probably the least noteworthy of the bunch. Lastly, Lazer also only hits a single target but a critical hit is just immediate death and normally hits for almost 900 damage—that’s nearly all of Shrug’s health. You can basically forget about surviving if it’s a critical hit because it deals just about more damage than health you can possible have.

He also gets Mega Flare and Mega White, the first deals a comparatively little amount of damage to Shrug and almost 1000 to Phoebe while the latter hits both for 600.

His last form, which is just a really wiggly spider, throws Golden Web around more frequently but that’s really it. Kind of a disappointing last form but hey. Because of how damaging his attacks are, you might want to have someone dedicated to healing. In my case, Shrug would just die to all of his attacks in two hits save for one. Now if you were at a higher level, then you’d probably be able to get away with less frequent healing here.

O...kay…

So the events of this game were basically the Crystal of Light punking the Dark King by manipulating Shrug into inadvertently fulfilling the prophecy.

Alright, good work, you weird old man.

Is gratitude really the right response here?

The game takes the wheel, as it were, and sends us off to visit everyone that got wrapped up in this. Otto’s closest so I guess he goes first.

But of course! Say, what’s become of Reuben and Captain Mac?

They’re fine! They’ve already headed home.

Great. I’ll stop by sometime and say “Hi!”

What are you going to do now?

That’s awfully forward, Shrug.

I need a little more adventure in my life...

I guess it’s not like you have a home to go back to but I have a feeling you’ve completely forgotten that.

Kaeli sort of freaks out about this. As an aside, I think she’s the most excited out of everyone to see Shrug since she leaps in the air and spins around when he arrives, so... there you go?

Don’t worry, Kaeli!

Was it seriously worth walking through this again to talk to Spencer of all people?

I mean, really, what did he even do other than be trapped?

Yep. All thanks to you guys!

Oh yeah, this was Phoebe’s fault.

Anybody seen Tristam?

Huh, it’s like there’s a pattern to his behavior or something.

...which Shrug hasn’t picked up on, apparently.

Why don’t we hang out in this town?

I imagine Shrug does a spit-take and immediately tries to find a way out of the conversation.

No way! I’m off for more adventure in Captain Mac’s ship.

At least let me see you off!

Uh

“And never endangering my child again!”

Sure, next time there’s a rainbow. I guess. I dunno.

I’m sorry, “do it up?”

You and your family are terrible, goodbye forever

Oh, hey, you’ve been here the whole time.

I’m sorry that when someone remade this game in RPG Maker they had you hook up with Reuben.

Well bye

I can’t help but wonder if Kaeli was supposed to be a love interest or something.

He’s all grown up now. ...or something.

After three times, Shrug has caught on by now.

Yeah, seriously, were you just waiting here? Pretty weird, dude!

I can’t resist it when I hear about an adventure... I’m going to keep an eye on you, kid.

Shortly after this Tristam walks the plank or whatever

The credits roll...

and Shrug leisurely sails off into the distance.

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 12, 2014

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
And that’s that! Thanks to everyone for reading and bearing with me as I stumbled my way through this. Hopefully it was at least somewhat enjoyable! Big ups to Artix for even glancing at that tedious hard mode hack and for his various technical contributions.

I still have one or two .gifs left to fix so I guess the thread’ll stay open for awhile? I dunno.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Oh gods, his grin is so doofy. C'mon, Shrug, you're better than this.

I like to imagine that the Dark Lord and the Crystal of Light are in cahoots; the entire Prophecy was solely meant to result in a Hero being created who could then go out and fix more important things. I mean, sure, the area around the Focus Tower was a bit of a dump, but it's not like the monsters were being especially proactive about oppressing people aside from throwing down some weird weather, and you have to admit that they give up the fight suspiciously easily (except for the Dark Lord of course; he has his pride).

Basically what I'm saying is that the entire game is monsters jobbing to Shrug so that he gets built up into a hero who can then go out and fix areas that are actually facing legitimate problems.

Thanks for the LP, Cardinal Direction!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
For what it's worth, this really is a nice little game. It was simple enough that most kids could figure their way through it at the time while still has a few neat things for us to come back to twenty years later, the plot lacked a lot of complexity (Re: FF Angst) but thankfully lacked a lot of major flaws (Re: FF ANGST), and it just had some strange little charm. Shrug's whole "Well, okay, I guess I'm the world's hero or something" personality is fleshed out yet left exactly blank enough that he was really clearly meant to be more of an avatar for the player, like an interactive fairy tale about a hero saving the kingdom, but with bombs and magic and putting up with Reuben along the way. It's a fun game to run through when you have some time.

Edit: Thanks Abstraction, now I just have this mental image of the Vile 4 throwing their fights and waiting till Shrug and Co. leave.

Pazuzu: *Bandaged up* Man, that kid's getting strong. How'd you guys do?
Ice Golem: *In a bucket* I don't wanna talk about it.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 7, 2014

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I have to admit that I love the Dark King's second form. It's like he looks at the hero's varied arsenal and rolls his eyes before deciding to show how it's supposed to be done.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I thought I saw something online about how the final area map is, for no explained reason, a 3x3 grid of the map of the final area (so the same final short hallway and platform the Dark Emperor is on, copied and pasted 8 more times). I think the Dark Emperor is only on the "real" map.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Randalor posted:

I thought I saw something online about how the final area map is, for no explained reason, a 3x3 grid of the map of the final area (so the same final short hallway and platform the Dark Emperor is on, copied and pasted 8 more times). I think the Dark Emperor is only on the "real" map.

Yeah, it is. God only knows why, but it's true.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I gotta admit, I thought that Dark King was a legit badass and cool when I was a kid, and I loved how he got STRONGER the more you beat him, it was a novelty to me back then.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
The Dark King's theme might be one of my favorite boss themes of all time. It's fantastic.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

cbservo posted:

The Dark King's theme might be one of my favorite boss themes of all time. It's fantastic.

I used to keep a save right before the end of the game just so I could run in and stomp Dark King with Cure and hear that song again. It's great.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Thanks for doing this rad LP!

It's unfortunate, but I had completely forgotten about the other really good tunes this game had to offer.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe this is weird of me, but I've always liked screenshot LPs more than video ones. This was the perfect length and pace for me.

Thanks for putting this together. I liked it!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I actually find it cool that the Dark King changing forms is just using the same thing the rest of the bosses have, four different sprites that change as they take damage, but instead of showing him weaker, each has him stronger and stronger. It's a neat way to use something already in-game.

I also find it hilarious that almost all of the art has nothing to do with what's on the game, but for some reason the Dark King is absolutely faithful.

And that ending is great. Shrug just doesn't care he saved the world and put his life at risk for so long, he doesn't want a break; when an adventure ends, another begins! I can respect that kind of thrill-pursuing lifestyle. Honestly, with a bit more polish, I could see Shrug as a really cool hero, easy-going, a bit cocky, definitely good-hearted and with a serious love of adventure. Sort of like Bartz.

Thanks for the LP. I have not played this but it actually looks really decent and I love the music and the sprites.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

cbservo posted:

I love all the music in the game, but the Dark King's is really one of my favorites.

As far as the Cure spell goes, allow me to quote Nitrodon over on tasvideos.org:

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97367#97367 posted:

Cure heals the target for (magic*1.5+50)% of its maximum HP (divided by the number of targets). For instance, if you use Cure with 32 magic, then Cure restores 98% of the target's maximum HP. In the case of the Dark King with full HP, the game adds 39200 to his current HP of 40000, but HP is only a 16-bit integer, so the result overflows to 13664. This is less than the Dark King's maximum HP, so the game accepts it as the Dark King's new HP and displays that he took 26336 damage.

In short, the Dark King will take that amount of damage if and only if it won't bring his HP down to less than zero. Curing with Phoebe overflows all the way back to positive healing, but it can be used to set up a second damaging cure by the hero.

In the actual TAS they do manage to wreck the Dark King by curing with Shrug, then Phoebe, then Shrug again.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
There's a weird aftereffect that if you leave the credits running you'll begin to see Tristam and Kid running around on deck, a grey blob for Tristam and a blue (I think? It's been a while) for Kid.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Blackray Jack posted:

There's a weird aftereffect that if you leave the credits running you'll begin to see Tristam and Kid running around on deck, a grey blob for Tristam and a blue (I think? It's been a while) for Kid.

And every so often there's a brown line of the Dragon Claw shooting off the deck. I like to think Tristam immediately stole it back and was a huge dick about it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Short, but neat.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah, to expand on the Cure Glitch and that Nitrodon post a bit, the reason that Phoebe can't do it is because of the way the numbers work out. Basically, HP is stored as a 16-bit integer, which maxes out at 65535. Dark King's max HP is 40000, and Phoebe's cure spell, because of her 99 magic, gives a total of 199% healing. So more or less, Phoebe heals him for 80,000 HP. 80k is enough to go through a complete overflow and leave you with about 15k HP left to be healed, and there is no point at which adding 15k to the Dark King's HP will force an overflow, so no matter how much HP he has left, Phoebe will always actually heal him if she tries the glitch. In fact, if Shrug was capable of getting up to 76 magic (and he can't, for the record), he wouldn't be able to do it either for the same reason. :eng101:

E: For double the fun, if Shrug somehow made it here with 9 magic or less, you wouldn't be able to do it either, because he wouldn't be able to cure enough to make it overflow in the first place. That's not possible, of course, because Shrug starts with 10 magic at L1. But if you could somehow hold that until the Dark King, you could drop him to 465 HP with your first cast.

E2: And yeah, a critical Lazer does about 1800 damage, which is over the HP cap. Shrug at max level has 1640.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 8, 2014

Sticky Fingers
Jul 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I beat and loved this game when I was a kid, and I always held a soft spot for it in later years even though it usually got a pretty bad rap. It's nice to see that my enjoyment wasn't entirely nostalgia talking and that this is actually a pretty neat little game.

I think Shrug is a pretty neat hero, too. He's a dude who likes adventure and the world and so he goes on an adventure to save the world when that becomes necessary. When that job is finished with he hops on a sweet boat to go find some new adventures. Probably should have taken Kaeli with you though, bro, it might get pretty lonely out at sea on that thing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blackray Jack posted:

I was sure that happened when I beat it as a kid, but could never verify it anywhere.
Thank you for confirming my sanity.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
So did Shrug just straight up kidnap the two merchants on board the ship?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
With a steady supply of Seeds and his armor he's basically invincible. Wouldn't you?

And thanks for the LP. One of my favorite games to knock out on a sick day

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

No wonder Shrug is confused all the time and his dialogue is pretty dumb. He's got a tiny baby head!

Blackray Jack posted:

Oh cool, I hope CD shows this off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Bregor posted:

Oh cool, I hope CD shows this off.

Sure enough, there's two little blocks running around on the deck. They might be a little hard to see? I waited for awhile and then played it at like 5x normal speed and never saw the Dragon Claw :shrug: I'm willing to believe Tristam is a big enough jerk to steal it back though.

• Locked thread