Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think you're spot on about the health meter. It's just so imprecise, and while the game doesn't exactly require precise health bars to win, it's annoying to have to try to count up exactly how many fiddly little boxes you just lost from an attack so that you can judge if you can take another hit or three.

Mega Man's health bar works because it's a single bar with a fixed length that doesn't change radically over time. Mystic Quest's health bar fails to work once you start getting extra health bars in the form of those little boxes that go above the primary health bar.

It's a tricky design problem, because without an increasing health bar, a new player has no feedback that their health is actually increasing, but with an increasing health bar, it's a pain in the rear end to figure out health totals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RabidWeasel posted:

That actually seems fairly ok other than the running out of Shuriken thing. I mean yeah it looks bullshit hard but doable, which is what I expect from a hard mode hack of a Square RPG.

The problem is that bullshit hard isn't coming from anything clever, nor is Mystic Quest a deep enough game that you can match the bullshit with clever uses of game mechanics (hell, the most clever thing you can do is cast white magic on enemies, and that was removed!).

It's not like Final Fantasy 5 or Final Fantasy 6 where job setups or equipment setups could make your characters immune to certain attacks or trivialize certain enemies by being clever about your setup.

• Locked thread