Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

I feel like I read somewhere that the bearded guy was actually a stunt man on the show. But that might be wrong.

Yes, this is correct. There was an article on IO9 or one of the blogs where they wanted the end to be about Sookie and not her husband, so they made him as nondescript as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This season felt like they took the names of the characters, SOOKIE BILL JASON JESSICA ANDY etc. Then they took a huge poo poo on them, rolled everything into a big lovely katamari, and that was the script.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

GreenNight posted:

Yes, this is correct. There was an article on IO9 or one of the blogs where they wanted the end to be about Sookie and not her husband, so they made him as nondescript as possible.

Basically. His name's Tim and he's a cool guy, and I was totally campaigning for Burly Werewolf for Husband but Tim was a much less ridiculous choice.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Hemp Knight posted:

^^^^^^^

Yes you are. But you could also see it as Jessica having gained more experience and maturity since they split up.

Then that puts all the blame of the relationship ending on Jessica. Mind you, she has her role in the demise, but if I remember correctly, Hoyt was starting to act like a huge prick around that time so the writers could sell us on this thing ending. They were BOTH at fault for their relationship not working the first time.

Already taking into account how little growth Jessica has grown - banging Jason a few nights prior, let's just focus on how little to no growth Hoyt has gone through if he can't even remember how the relationship went to poo poo.

It's not like Hoyt also sounded like he had changed much for the better when he was being a complete douche to his ex-girlfriend and others since he got back to Bon Temp.

It's like they closed the ties to a lot of stories too quickly but opened up pointless ones with the Tara and Joyt.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
The fact that he was down to get hitched immediately is reason enough that he should loving not have.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The Tara plot had the most potential, and could have been used to reveal some crazy supernatural final boss but instead we got a flashback of Tara not doing something during a very uncomfortable domestic violence scenario.

The Eric and Pam finale was basically "oh yeah we are vampires" and them murdering everyone.

A loving wedding.

And Bill getting got when he looked like he was going to then human there for a bit. I was hoping the stake just pierced his heart and he would slowly die instead of blowing one last load in Academy Award Winner Anna Paquin's face.

Also Sookie ending up with a normal dude kind of goes against her whole "THIS IS WHO I AAAM" speech during Billgate

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Nate Falls posted:

Basically. His name's Tim and he's a cool guy, and I was totally campaigning for Burly Werewolf for Husband but Tim was a much less ridiculous choice.

Should have been you, man. Should have been you.

I don't suppose you can comment on whether or not there was a last minute change to Bill's storyline?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

It should have been Alcide! :argh:

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
The biggest shock to me this season was Lafayette being a top.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Candy Dawn posted:

The biggest shock to me this season was Lafayette being a top.

Well Jessica did call the guy an incredible rear end in a top hat.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Junkenstein posted:

Should have been you, man. Should have been you.

I don't suppose you can comment on whether or not there was a last minute change to Bill's storyline?

I'm not 100% in the loop, but my impression is that dead Bill was the plan all along.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

hollylolly posted:

It should have been Alcide! :argh:

He wasn't as annoyingly emo as Bill, but I can't say I was sorry to see Alcide go.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Mog posted:

Well Jessica did call the guy an incredible rear end in a top hat.

:bravo:

It's been a couple days now and I'm still disappointed with the finale. It was just so terrible boring and I just didn't care about any of it, except for the Eric/Pam stuff. It could have been so much more interesting or poignant or anything but what we got shown. As other people have said, it's so so hard to believe that the writers knew that the end was coming for a full year and this was the best they could do with that time.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Nate Falls posted:

I'm not 100% in the loop, but my impression is that dead Bill was the plan all along.

All my dreams...shattered. A+ work though, you were the best part of every werewolf storyline. :)

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
If they had just cut the wedding crap by at least 50%, then added (like someone said upthread) a flash forward of Jessica glamouring Hoyt *again* and Hoyt getting progressively stupider and more drooly - that would have been in character with the show and hilarious.

One of the things that was so ridiculous about the finale is it's 4 years at the final scene, right? Jason already has 3 kids and a baby with that girl. Lafayette has a honest-to-god boyfriend of four years after so long being alone and bitchy on the show. Sam is still with the rebound girl after his actual cool girlfriend died tragically. Everyone is still with everyone even though they've been bedhopping for the past 6 years. Except for Sookie, who found a human even though the whole schtick all along was that because she can read minds she couldn't stand a human boyfriend because she heard every awful thought (presumably "boy that dress makes Sookie's rear end look fat").

Such a hamfisted way to express that everyone is happy, even Eric and Pam. But what about -- nope. Zip it. Everyone is happy. HAPPY. Except Sarah Newlin because we hate her.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I am watching the finale now and by watching I mean fast-forwarding past quite a lot of Sookie and Bill but, despite the atrocious and long set up, their story ends with Sookie down a hole in the graveyard on her kness while Bill dies, popping all over her face.

That's pretty True Blood, fair's fair.

Also, where's more Pam and Eric, gently caress this is terrible.

Oh wait, there they are. Invincible vampire viking god. Yep.

rejutka fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 27, 2014

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
If bill dying was the plan all along, what was the point of all the turning human stuff? What's the explanation for Sookie being able to read his mind? It seems like some Vince McMahon level audience swerving.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Maybe they're just loving with us at this point.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

hepscat posted:

If they had just cut the wedding crap by at least 50%, then added (like someone said upthread) a flash forward of Jessica glamouring Hoyt *again* and Hoyt getting progressively stupider and more drooly - that would have been in character with the show and hilarious.

I really got to hating Hoyt as the show went on. He was the most colossal dumbass, but not in a remotely redeeming way. Jason is a dumbass, but he's funny and inoffensive. Yeah, he'll gently caress up, but he doesn't mean to and he will ultimately do the right thing. Hoyt's a dumbass, but he's the kind that gets frustrated with life so he gets drunk and beats people up. Jason is the guy that was the class clown, Hoyt's the guy that's someone's abusive, alcoholic stepdad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigBoss posted:

I really got to hating Hoyt as the show went on. He was the most colossal dumbass, but not in a remotely redeeming way. Jason is a dumbass, but he's funny and inoffensive. Yeah, he'll gently caress up, but he doesn't mean to and he will ultimately do the right thing. Hoyt's a dumbass, but he's the kind that gets frustrated with life so he gets drunk and beats people up. Jason is the guy that was the class clown, Hoyt's the guy that's someone's abusive, alcoholic stepdad.

They were basically two sides of the 'dumbass good old boy' coin that southern set media uses. Jason is your dumb buddy who yea he's probably too dumb to function in some places but he's a really sweet guy under it all and he just wants to do good, but Hoyt is the guy you find out after high school that oh poo poo that dipshit was getting drunk every night and smacking people around? Woah he always seemed kinda not quite right...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

This whole final season was just on big loving jerk off. I know the show usually is, but at least it usually builds to something fun to see.

What the gently caress happened to the infected vamps that were snatching up people. All of a sudden there was no more instances of them showing up in pack.
What happened with the posse' of assholes shooting up the town. Yeah they all had a poo poo fit and a few got capped, but Andy and co, just decide "yeah it's cool... see ya around"? The yakuza plot line ended up being ridiculous. I know Pam and Eric have played long cons before, but this one was just pointless. The Japanese guys had no reason not to take Sarah directly from where they found her to a private air strip and fly her the gently caress away. - not to mention there was an armed incursion in a benefit for republicans where vampires were seen and a bunch of people got killed, no one looking for them, at all, no? Bill's death wish was the most retarded poo poo I've ever seen on TV. I thought for sure Sookie was going to hit him with her light and he was going to end up as a human for them to live happily ever after. That in itself is kind of stupid, but it's better than him going pop and her ending up with some new dude you don't even see.

There was elements at times that were kind of cool, but the series as a whole was kind of a very weak and very boring end.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I wish someone would glamour me and tell me this season never happened.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
So far I have been getting by that it was just a episode of vampire dairies.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Borrowed Ladder posted:

If bill dying was the plan all along, what was the point of all the turning human stuff? What's the explanation for Sookie being able to read his mind? It seems like some Vince McMahon level audience swerving.

I think they filmed a few endings. Killing Bill with Sookie's final fairy bomb make more sense to me than staking him.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Where'd Sam come from? Why did Bill have to die? Why'd they release Sarah Newlin to just capture her again? Why did we spend so many episodes pretending the Yakuza was a threat when a backflip defeated all of them? Who was the dude at the end? What happened to all the werewolves? This was the most poorly wrapped up thing I've seen since the Super Mario Bros movie. They should have just brought Marnie back at the end and had her kill everyone.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 27, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Instead of seasons 6 and 7, they should have had the finale of season 5 and extra half hour long, and the extra time in just Billith and the gore cronies walking through the ruined hellscape that is earth after he destroyed it. The end.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Old Man Pants posted:

They should have just brought Marnie back at the end and had her kill everyone.
On paper, that sounds like a great idea, but I'm sure they'd have gently caress it up somehow. I'm still annoyed that Russel's big return to the show was so wasted.

And I guess they released Sarah so the Yakuza would go look for her so they could kill them more easily... but the fact that they were acting like the Yakuza were difficult to deal with at all was beyond ridiculous.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Instead of seasons 6 and 7, they should have had the finale of season 5 and extra half hour long, and the extra time in just Billith and the gore cronies walking through the ruined hellscape that is earth after he destroyed it. The end.

And after the credits they could have a fake teaser for a spin-off show featuring Andy and Jason as post-apocalyptic monster hunters.

Vampire Steve Newlin can come too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Krowley posted:

And after the credits they could have a fake teaser for a spin-off show featuring Andy and Jason as post-apocalyptic monster hunters.

Vampire Steve Newlin can come too.

That's Gay Vampire American Steve Newlin, thank you.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Kimmalah posted:

Niall, Warlow was the bad guy. :ssh: Otherwise I support this.

Oh yeah :downs: Clearly this finale scrambled my brains pretty hard.

rejutka posted:

Faerie with a shotgun.

Not just any shotgun, look at this loving thing:

God drat Split Second owned :black101:

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else find it ironic that a show which uses vampirism as a mild metaphor for homosexuality ends with the vampire lover telling his human bride that the only way to be happy is to get pregnant? Not like adopt a child or get a surrogate, but actually bear them herself? Doesn't this kind of make True Blood the Big Bang Theory of homosexuality?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The whole gay metaphor has always been messed up anyway. Starting with the fact that most vampires are (or at least were), you know, loving evil.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Capn Beeb posted:

Not just any shotgun, look at this loving thing:

God drat Split Second owned :black101:

His calling card is sticking a half-eaten chocolate to the corpse.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
The gently caress did they even do the 'Bill's Hep-V moving fast and Sookie suddenly reading his mind" if they weren't going to turn him human? What a pointless boring pile of poo poo. I would have preferred Russell coming back with NO EXPLANATION and just ripping out spines to this boring turd.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I assume the accelerated Hep V was meant to create some urgency to Bill's situation, because from the sounds of it you could live with the regular version of the disease for several months before really being in danger of dying. So unless they wanted to do a time skip, the acceleration thing made it so Bill needed to get his affairs in order or get a cure NOW.

I guess they also thought it would create some drama with not only having Sookie being the one who infected him, but also her unique blood being the cause of him having SUPER HEP V.

No idea what the point of the mind reading thing was. Hep V gives vampires their brain waves back?

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
True Blood has always been ridiculous nonsense. In a sense that is why I loved it. It was camp, silly, rubbish.

That is why True Blood's final season, and especially the finale, are so disappointing to me. It commits the ultimate True Blood sin: being boring, and seeming to play it safe.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Interlude posted:

The gently caress did they even do the 'Bill's Hep-V moving fast and Sookie suddenly reading his mind" if they weren't going to turn him human? What a pointless boring pile of poo poo.

Yeah, no bones about it- that's the worst thorn in the finale's side. It makes NO SENSE to spend time talking about something that "game changing" without it... amounting to anything. I cannot believe they weren't at SOME point intending to turn Bill human.

I'm almost starting to love this finale just for the sheer Rubik's cube aspect of it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Rocco posted:

Rubik's cube aspect of it.

Boring irritating waste of time?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ultramiraculous posted:

Boring irritating waste of time?

A toy you move stickers around on so you can feel you accomplished something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

rejutka posted:

His calling card is sticking a half-eaten chocolate to the corpse.

Yesss and empty coffee cups :hfive:

• Locked thread