Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
As a real American, I'm going to spectate the bloody conflict before making an appearance late in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Dunno how much help this will be, but it was handy to have in the old threads:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Grey Hunter posted:

Thanks! I knew I forgot something! I'll post this into both threads.

Happy to help. Panzer IVs versus IS-2s should make for an interesting match up.

Edit: Especially if the P4s are hand cranked like some are saying.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 2, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hahaha, sorry for the snipe Grey. Just thought I'd go ahead and post in when I saw Dkotzl request one in thread.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

tatankatonk posted:

What's the scale for the gridded map? Like, how long is 100, 200, 300, meters etc.

Grey if you tell me, I can make an updated version with a scale.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
If last game taught me anything, it's that an on paper advantage does not translate to in game success. Can't wait for the action to start.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Velius posted:

Huh. I'm not sure you posted this in the right thread.

This is the right thread for tongue in cheek commentary.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

We'll organise the rest next order phase. I have no clue as to where our units will be, where we can expect the krauts to be and where the flashpoints will be. I'm going to seize the objective, but I will do it cautiously. My company, my rules.

Herp's Renegades do things their way, for them. Dtkozl, my guys WILL get there. Leave the micromanagement to the Company and Platoon level officers.

Herp taking a stand! :allears:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Excitement brewing in Soviet Thread.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Dunno if this is helpful, but here's a transparent overlay for the gridmap. It's sized 1900x1600, so slightly different from the (native?) size of the maps, but it should be workable.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Herpicle :allears:

The Merry Marauder posted:

Oh, gently caress me.

I cannot wait for the next turn.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 8, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Willie Tomg posted:

Your first sentence is beyond correct, its 100% descriptive. The second sentence is pure supposition. This is an army of latter day volunteers to Fascism, insanity is 100% on the table here.

Comments on this post?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

unwantedplatypus posted:

Keep in mind that their infantry cannot have crossed their ford. Looking at the map, it took 1st company five minutes to cross the five squares to ford B8. Even being generous, at most they are nearing ford L8 or are currently crossing ford P7. This is why I ordered TonySnow to bombard ford P7. Either it halts the enemy's advance long enough for us to mop up their advance elements, or we inflict significant casuatlies. We have half of our forces covering L8, so I don't think we will need artillery there.

I guess he forgot people can ride vehicles?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Unwanted platypus threatening to replace the far more competent Barracuda is....precious.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

unwantedplatypus posted:

We have the chance to surround the enemy. Bacarruda, move your troops to the treeline. You can send the AT team out ahead or take cover from the IS-2 or whatever, but I would like that treeline secured.

If you won't cooperate then Nenonen is the new commander of 2nd Company and you are the new commander of 2nd platoon.

:allears:

I thought Herp was going to be the most incompetent officer, but I guess he is shackled by having an experienced CO. UP, on the other hand...

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

unwantedplatypus posted:

Then don't attack the IS-2 frontally with an entire company. Attack the IS-2 with AT teams and the Panther. I would still like to have infantry in that forest.

edit: But if half of my army is going to just flip the gently caress out as soon as they get an order they don't like, I'm going to resign and let some other person handle that bullshit.

Yes please.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Don't they know there's a second tank? Could be an assumption on Bar's part. Or a typo.

eigenstate posted:

Did my guys dismount? I demand a picture of what's going on around D7!

:rip: 3rd squad :rip:

P.S. What was that second tank next to the IS-2?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 16, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

ArchangeI posted:

It seems seriously unimaginable how badly the Germans played this. The Russians are already on the objective in force while the Germans are still hemming and hawing on whether or not they should charge blindly at two reported tanks, one of which may be an IS2.

I think a good chunk of credit has to be assigned to the respective high command - Dtkozl is a seasoned veteran of these threads and the game itself, and Platypus...well. Is UnwantedPlatypus.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hahaha, compare the hugfest in the Soviet thread to the near mutiny in the German one. The Axis are so boned at this rate.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

reagan posted:

Grey, please randomly assign teams for the next match.

With the caveat that the COs should have experience with the game.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I do wish we we're let in on his super ultra secret plan.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Grey Hunter posted:

"There is no such thing as luck!"
"Leave nothing to Chance!"
"Do your duty, Volunteer for the Random Number Generation Corps!"

(Its actually in english)

I stand by Comrade RNG and his fine corps. Even if he's taking a nap right now.

I can't wait for the next turn, so many promising explosions.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Well, it hasn't been proven effective yet. How much longer til it strikes?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
So do the IS-2's have anything to fear from schrecks?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Apparently you can get an elevation map, if you look at the Soviet thread!

It's amazing how much more organized the Reds are. That's probably been as big a factor as the big guns on the IS-2 in giving them the upper hand so far. The difference in culture of leadership between Dtkozl and Unwanted Platy is apparent.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

simplefish posted:

Dtkozl hasn't posted in a week or so...

Platy hasn't posted since the 3rd.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Grey please put Herp in charge next round, please and thank you.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

unwantedplatypus posted:

Honestly, I think having a "battalion-level sperg plan" is unnecessary. We had a plan, but there was a lot of bickering and paranoia about Russian artillery (that didn't fall) and threats of mutiny.

:allears:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Half hoping the German thread just replies "Nuts" to Herp's post.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
There's a certain amount of irony about Herp being exiled to the Germns after the messages he sent.

Herp: bringing Fascist and Bolshevik together at last!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

eigenstate posted:

Amazing. Not even two hours since the last game finished prematurely because of unbalanced teams, everyone is trying to dogpile onto the winning team for the next one.

Not everyone! The Germans have....Herp.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'll sign up for a German Company command, I suppose.

Bar over Herp.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 16, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Happy to trade Company for Vehicle command. Will depend on the slots, I guess.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Sindai posted:

Herp should be given the overall Soviet command. Then we'll see who the true patriots are. :v:

Agreed.

Especially considering his final messages to the Germans. Who else showed such anti-German zeal?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 16, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Fangz posted:

If the other alternative is Herp, then I would like to put up a competing claim for Overall German Commander.

I think Bac has nominated himself and been acclaimed.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

simplefish posted:

I think the best shuffle would be entering experience into a table, assigning a value to it (e.g. No CM experience =0, these LPs =1, CM Touch =2, other CM=3, RT=4, with an extra category for those who own the game and are willing to check LOS), balancing the German and Soviet player pools based on these scores, picking two Top Commanders, having them select forces (game units) and have ultimate say on who gets what (from a pool of people saying "I want xyz", and if the commander wishes, first come first served or any other selection method) with those who do not get given units (and who wish to) sticking round in the pool and not reading other threads in case a replacement or 5 is needed.

This might be weighted to keep zero experience people out, though, unless commanders just do first come first served.

This seems like a pretty good solution.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Bacarruda for the Germans, uPen or Fangz for the Russians, dunno if they finalized that.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
For the record, my CM experience is limited to CM Touch and Normandy. I'll see if I can grab a copy of RT when I get laptop access again.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Shucks. I'm just glad my contributions helped!

Fun game, will definitely watch a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wish I could say that the King Tiger not moving at all for the last 3-4 turns (and shelling Russian tanks instead?) was deliberate, but :shobon:

I went into this with the idea that I couldn't get too complicated with orders because Grey is going to misinterpret them, intentionally or otherwise, and in that vein our higher leadership was inspiring: commander's intent was very clearly stated, I was never just being told what to do, I was being told why I needed to do it, and given a relatively free hand in how to accomplish it.

And when there were suggestions on how to accomplish it, Bacarruda, Jaguars! and Kenzie all had extensive maps and screenshots to flesh it out with.

Soup_Inspector, anilEhilated, Arbite - wish you guys had more to play with, but all that repositioning and waiting and stalking would have given the Soviets a hell of a fight

Chunky Monkey - thank you so much for sticking out with the thread to the very end, even when your Panther was lost relatively early in the fight.

I also want to call out HerpicleOmnicron5 for being such a good sport and enthusiastic with his scouts.

Yeah, I think Herp redeemed himself a bunch for the first game.

One of my favorite map related moments was finding there was a Studienka in Austria. Further west than I thought.

• Locked thread