Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Pre-emptively sorry for the German 1st Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
That map looks interesting. I'd have plenty of questions already but I better wait until the separate threads open. :hitler:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Hey, no one better try to wrestle my German Company Command away from me now that we'd successfully assaulted the map edge!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

After reading both threads, I'd like to gove some feedback to Grey regarding the videos. I know it's a lot of work and you're bound miss stuff and I do interpret it as a fog of war of sorts but two things could probably stand to be better shown in the videos:

1) You focused a lot on casualties. It's good. We need to know in what shape our pixelmen are, exactly. However, we didn't much see what our own troops were actually doing. An example from both sides: German (our) machine guns were shooting, apparently pretty effectively, at one of the fords for almost the entire time it was being crossed. I barely even noticed they were doing it. Granted, I was more focused on what my company was doing but even when they started having firefights, I couldn't figure out who were shooting at what, exactly. In the Soviet thread there was barely any recognition that their T-34s were shooting at us, to the point that someone wondered what the explosions in the village were.

2) Enviromental damage. A small detail but I was somewhat annoyed that there was a pretty good zoom on a couple of Soviet videos about the damage caused to one of the buildings some of our guys were hiding behind. I had no idea one of the only major cover providers of our otherwise scantly covered positions was about to fall apart.

e: Anyway, congratulations for the Soviet officers. We had no idea you could reach the village or the objective area that fast. I was really taken aback when the first 5 minutes had passed and our tanks, pressing pedal to the metal, had barely started fording and we already had sightings of you guys digging in.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 17, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

It's still Soviet assault against the German Fusilier Battalion with reinforcements on both sides, right?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

eigenstate posted:

I'm willing to return as a platoon commander under the condition that neither platyputty or herpderp are my company commanders.

See now, I have this very dangerous mission that might or might not involve suicidial charge through enemy-controlled territory...

:getin:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

And no, the Soviets never found out about our Tiger. True stealth tank.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

dtkozl posted:

When I did the first game I was really unsure of how much data to give everyone because I owned the game and I didn't know what resources the other side had and I didn't want to game the system. That's why I did what I did of take 10 screen shots of stuff and pretend like I took photos, I figured that would be a good way to stay within the spirit of the thing and not game the system. Really what we need to do is have both sides hash it out and leave grey out of it entirely (to lighten his load). Since at least one person on each side will own the game they both will have access to the same resources, we just put in a gentleman's agreement to say, "be able to take 10 screen shots at 2 points during the game" as an example.

We can really just make a rule for anything but the fewer the better.

I thought a game would be interesting where we try and mirror the decision types of the soviets/wehrmacht. So the soviet side commander would write up super detailed orders for each company and they would carry them out to the best of their ability (get to map point X at time Y, proceed at time Z to point A, etc.) and them leave them at that and only really respond to requests for artillery or reinforcements but be himself unable to alter the orders. The german team would just give general orders with teams in integrated infantry and armor, with perhaps a few panthers or something roaming around that have total independent control to say hunt for russian armor.

After playing this format first in the smaller engagement on company level and now defending on platoon level, I have to disagree on the screenshots. The reason is mostly long range combat and, to a lesser degree, player enjoyment. Tanks are so dangerous and so huge investments that you need to be able to both use them effectively and counter them effectively. Ditto for machine guns and infantry, although they're cheaper.

In the first game we Germans had some screenshots but not many. We ended up going a bit like you suggested and it worked quite fine when it comes to fairness. However, in a small scale engagement a single tank represents relatively larger portion of your strength. It's frustrating to no end to find out that for example an assumed overwatch position really isn't (=something the tank crew in real life would figure out as soon as it gets there), or that what you think is a safe route around a machine gun nest is actually fully exposed (=something that would also get scouted in real life). Another angle I could approach this from is how crucial bases of fire and lines of sight really are in organizing a defense line. When defending, you're already outnumbered in every way. All the advantages you have are the terrain and your tactical decisions. Using the second game as an example, all four of our scout snipers turned out to be useless until moved into better positions because we didn't take screenshots. Imagine that would have happened with our 88s, who really cannot even move, or the machine guns, who would have had to be constantly shuffled around to test where they can actually fire at the approaching enemy.

I do think it's unrealistic, if admittably fun, to be able to test run Panther rushes or the effectiveness of 88s against IS-2s in-game before doing the same in the LP but screenshots should be fair game.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Okay, an elevation map and screenies in the beginning, that I could go with in the set-up phase. Maybe there could be a rule to only take screenshots during the game from where your units already are? That obviously cannot be enforced but neither can not reading the other team's thread. It's honour-based style of playing anyway. Good preparation would simulate groundwork that usually gets done in real life anyway and allowing screenies only from the viewpoints of your units on-map would prevent thinking you're having a LoS somewhere you actually don't have.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, looking at my free time allotment, I don't think I can do another round I'm afraid.

Sorry for those who were interested - hopefully another crazy kind soul will offer to keep this going in some format - but with the Shadowrun P&P game I'm starting this weekend and the fact that I need to do the art assets and first turns for WITP, I don't want to overburden myself and burn out.

That's absolutely fine. Thanks for two great battles!

And if the CM series continues in the future, you won't be able to resist, will you? ;)

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Comstar posted:

Thank you for doing it all. I await the 7th of Dec with interest. Don't burn out, we have 5 more years of battle reports to read.

Now that you said it out loud, we went into the first playthrough of WitP fully anticipating that Grey won't finish it. He said it himself. Let's just go with that thread as long as it's fun and don't worry about the end of the war. It will be a swift war anyway, for without their Pacific Fleet and with the war raging in Europe, the United States will surel be in no shape to oppose the Glorious Nippon until we can force a favourable peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

My last Schreck avenged the rest of them! :3:

• Locked thread