Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Signed up as a Russian Company CO. More meatshields to throw at the enemy room for error, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fangz posted:

Signing up to be under the command of Herp. Low ranking, no command responsibilities please.

Daw, Fangz, I knew I could count on you for a vote of confidence. Its okay, my flank won't collapse immediately. :downs:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm classing support as unattached Machine guns, Flamethrowers, AT guns - basically smaller units

Tank Destroyers are close enough to tanks to be in that category. depending on how many people are interested and what positions we have once the forces are picked, we can move people around.

We may end up with one a few tanks and 10 tank commanders, but huge numbers of infantry being needed. also, the mobile flak-wagons the Germans use are an odd case.

Here is your answer regarding support.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Davin, Herp, Fangz and the rest of No Retreat's greatest hits have signed up, there's no way I'm missing that!

Spoiler alert: I'm not terribly incompetent with Combat Mission. Also, Fangz decided to step out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

tatankatonk posted:

Speaking of gamey, I cant believe the germans targeted the fords with a fire mission right from the get-go. That's so ridiculously unsporting.

Sportsmanship means jack poo poo. We should have done it ourselves, though I was content with cutting line of sight via the use of smoke. I thought that was perhaps one of the better decisions from the Germans. If they'd not wasted half their force on a southern push, and got the bulk of their troops to the Rail Station or the village first, then we'd have a tougher battle. Platypus wasn't awful, I expect he has learned considerably for the next round.

I look forward to what round two will bring. I'm still 100% happy to help fill any gaps in the German side.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think the Soviet troops should just get better, but remain at their current number, whereas the German side should outnumber the Soviets considerably. It'd be a true test of quantity vs quality.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I volunteer to command the Germans. I'm happy to step down to a Company level command though, if anybody with Red Thunder experience wishes.

Like Davin, I'd be happy to have somebody as an advisor, picking out units isn't my strong suit.

unwantedplatypus posted:

While the drama was undoubtedly fun for the observer thread. I'm sorry for letting my team down so badly. With a lack of experienced officers and declining thread participation, I had no idea how to command a battalion.

Hey, you put in a good effort. I think you did well for a completely new player, especially in selecting a force composition. If you'd had better transport, and not sent troops down south, the battle would've gone a totally different way.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 16, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Merry Marauder posted:

All the grizzled tough guys will play ze Chermans, I'm sure.

Huh. Maybe I should've waited to announce my candidacy for German command so I'd have someone to command.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

Alright, I'll give German battalion command a go this time around.

It'll be impossible for me to mutiny if I'm the senior officer...

Do you have Red Thunder experience? 'Cos if not, the international dibs law covers my position of power. Besides, I'd like to give you reason to mutiny.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

As a matter of fact, I do. I've also played Normandy/Market-Garden and Afghanistan.

I think I could do a decent job, but my heart certainly isn't set on it. I'll leave the final decision up to Grey/the thread.

Then I'll happily concede command to you. I'll take Company Command instead for the German side.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sindai posted:

Herp should be given the overall Soviet command. Then we'll see who the true patriots are. :v:

Hey, I already tried for the Germans, lets not get greedy here.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fangz posted:

I guess Soviet Battalion commander is un-taken. I could give that a go.

Davin already took that, I believe.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

I just want a command position. It doesn't have to be Battalion.

Oh. Boring, you're meant to take the highest position available!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Same, if we aren't doing Grey-mandated shuffling. 2nd Co had a dearth of good sense and self preservation, but a surfeit of jouissance that I think will survive Herp's departure especially if RedLobster gets the slot. I prefer that to doing work for some rando humorless grog.

You can always come over to my German equivalent! A defending bunch of loonies is far more effective than an attacking one, any day.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How about just let the Battalion commander ask for opinions from the team if they need to? Let's keep it simple here.

Oh, and if you decide to drop Battalion command Bacarruda, I'll happily take over.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

dtkozl did some really especially awesome things with command a very large one being that in the beginning he outlined in broad terms where he wanted companies at four distinct phases of the battle. If nothing else, this gave everyone an overall Thing To Be Doing, Now. That's a good thing to have when your platoon comes under mortar fire in the river, and you need to make a decision fast.

Yeah, we all knew exactly what we were doing, and how to do them. When I wanted my company to rest in the town and wait for 1st Company, he said no. That's probably what won us the round really, if the Germans had got to the Rail Station first, we'd need to use both companies and a copious amount of armoured support to clear it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I have Combat Mission experience, played through a campaign, but I'm far more experienced with Close Combat 2.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Aye, Herp Company will do a parade of triumph if we survive the incoming mess. I really expected a German vengeance assault, not an immediate hasty defense!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sindai posted:

I enjoy the preliminary German assignments carefully placing Herp in a position where he can do the least possible damage.

Also players should probably stop reading this thread about now so we can start discussing things like that.

Yeah I think actually saying this is a bad idea, not because it'll tell the Soviets what I am, but because of how badly I'm going to prove you wrong. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

simplefish posted:

Herp I hold nothing against you, but you are my enemy now, so I'm going to call your units the Herp-ees. Please send a communique when you are the dudes we're fighting. Except that might actually reveal something. So instead, just know that I'm calling your pixeltruppen "The Herp-ees"

Why does everyone latch onto Herp-ees rather than Omnies? I like the sound of Omnies, many uses for them. Omni-purpose. But no, everyone says "Herp-ees" for some unfathomable reason.

• Locked thread